PDA

View Full Version : Is my thinking crazy?

Jermz79
08-28-2012, 06:20 AM
I am in a fantasy league that has the following scoring

QBs
1 point for every 20 Passing Yards (0.05 per)
1 extra point when total Passing Yards is greater than or equal to 300
2 points for every 2 Pt Conversion Passing
6 points for every Passing TD
-1 point for every Interception

RB
1 point for every 10 Rushing Yards (0.1 per)
1 extra point when total Rushing Yards is greater than or equal to 125
2 points for every 2 Pt Conversion Rushing
6 points for every Rushing TD
1 extra point for every Rushing TD between 40 and 100 yards (inclusive)

WR/TE/RB
1 point for every 2 Catches (0.5 per)
1 point for every 10 Receiving Yards
1 extra point when total Receiving Yards is greater than or equal to 150
2 points for every 2 Pt Conversion Receiving
6 points for every Receiving TD
1 extra point for every Receiving TD between 40 and 100 yards (inclusive)

** so with that said, you can see that the QB position is generously scored and therefore the QBs score the most average points per week. For instance ...

2011 Scoring

Top 5 QBs
Drew Brees - 568.4 Total points or 35.5 average per week
Aaron Rodgers - 547.4 Total or 36.5 average
Tom Brady - 521.6 Total or 32.6 average
Matt Stafford - 500.7 Total or 31.3 average
Cam Newton - 476.1 Total or 29.8 average

Compared to the Top 5 RBs
Ray Rice - 343 total or 21.5
LeSean McCoy - 311 total or 20.8
Arian Foster - 287 total or 22.1
MJD - 286 or 17.9
Marshawn Lynch - 236 or 15.8

Compared to the Top 5 WRs/TEs
Megatron - 318 or 19.9
Gronkowski - 289 or 18.1
Wes Welker - 281 or 17.6
Jordy Nelson - 261 or 16.3
Jimmy Graham - 253 or 15.3

**** I have the 5th overall pick in a 12 team league, I am HIGHLY considering taking one of the top 5 QB's with my 1st pick (probably Aaron Rodgers) and then coming back and hoping for one of the tier 2 RB's that will be left.

The difference in points per week is what drove me to this consideration. Am I crazy??

#87Birdman
08-28-2012, 06:31 AM
I always looked at it this way. Look at how different the top WR and RB is from each other. QB's tend to stay in the same area, but the difference comes from the RB and WR's. That is why I usually aim for solid to great starters there and then try to get a serviceable QB after that.

FlowdaBroncoFan
08-28-2012, 08:11 AM
I have always taken the BPA approach. I usually go RBs first, but not this year. I will see how it paid off. This year I have leaned more toward QB as well. I have either gotten Stafford, Newton or Rodgers. The onlt RBs I have taken in the 1st have been McCoy, CJ2K, and Rice. I have not taken any WR other than Calvin.

I have yet to have a bad drfat taking the BPA approach though.

Mike1709
08-28-2012, 08:22 AM
I would definetely go QB 1st round, even if 4 QB's are taken with the 1st 4 picks, still go QB as the scoring system is so skewed towards them.

Jermz79
08-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Mike - I am in agreement with you man, I think the difference in points between the top 5 QB's and the rest of the positions is so large that it's nearly the only pick. I've been running this league for about 7 years and have always drafted RB in the first round, but every year it's the person with the highest scoring QB that wins the league ... and for some reason, we draft RB's first round

Now when it comes back to my 2nd pick it's likely that I will still have a chance to nab a 2nd tier RB like Forte, Fred Jackson or possibly even Adrian Peterson with the way he's been falling in drafts!

Now it's just a matter of which QB to take?? My gut say's Aaron Rodgers, but I think Brady will have a great year this year ... a lot of "experts" are saying Cam Newton will be the consensus #1 scorer at the end of this year, but I think he falls back to earth a little bit this year.

Mike1709
08-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Mike - I am in agreement with you man, I think the difference in points between the top 5 QB's and the rest of the positions is so large that it's nearly the only pick. I've been running this league for about 7 years and have always drafted RB in the first round, but every year it's the person with the highest scoring QB that wins the league ... and for some reason, we draft RB's first round

Now when it comes back to my 2nd pick it's likely that I will still have a chance to nab a 2nd tier RB like Forte, Fred Jackson or possibly even Adrian Peterson with the way he's been falling in drafts!

Now it's just a matter of which QB to take?? My gut say's Aaron Rodgers, but I think Brady will have a great year this year ... a lot of "experts" are saying Cam Newton will be the consensus #1 scorer at the end of this year, but I think he falls back to earth a little bit this year.

Even if Newton is the #1 scorer in standard leagues (which I also doubt), he won't be in this one because here a rushing TD is the same as a passing TD rather than being more valuable in most leagues. I'd probably go Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Stafford, Peyton as QB rank with this scoring system.

Bronco51
08-30-2012, 07:31 AM
With the 5th pick, don't be surprised if Rodgers and Brady are already gone. If you have come to the conclusion that a QB is the right pick, others may have as well. But Brees and a 2nd tier RB will get you a lot of points.

beastlyskronk
08-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Even if Newton is the #1 scorer in standard leagues (which I also doubt), he won't be in this one because here a rushing TD is the same as a passing TD rather than being more valuable in most leagues. I'd probably go Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Stafford, Peyton as QB rank with this scoring system.

Why? He had 35 total touchdowns last year and 4700 total yards. He is Carolina's goalline RB pretty much. With a year and an actual training camp under his belt he should improve. At the very least his INTs should go down. Rodgers is the only QB I'd take over him really.

Mike1709
08-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Why? He had 35 total touchdowns last year and 4700 total yards. He is Carolina's goalline RB pretty much. With a year and an actual training camp under his belt he should improve. At the very least his INTs should go down. Rodgers is the only QB I'd take over him really.

When the top QB's are likely to be throwing for 40-45 TD's, that is a large points differential in this scoring system for Cam to overcome (lower points differential in standard leagues as rushing TD points make up larger percentage), and personally, I don't think Cam scores as many rushing TD's this season and often QB's who have had a good rookie season have suffered from some sort of sophomore slump the following year.

Jermz79
08-30-2012, 10:15 AM
With the 5th pick, don't be surprised if Rodgers and Brady are already gone. If you have come to the conclusion that a QB is the right pick, others may have as well. But Brees and a 2nd tier RB will get you a lot of points.

Highly doubtful to be honest, I've been playing in this league for several years and it's always RB's that come off the board first. It's not until this year that I really sat down and looked at the differential in scoring and said wait a minute ... there is nearly a 300 point difference between the top QB's and top RB's .... and came up with this strategy. Even if the top 4 QB's go first Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Stafford that still leaves me with Newton at 5 and he is still 140+ points higher than the top RB.

but I honestly doubt that happens.

I think I will have my pick of the litter when it comes to my #5 spot and I am thinking of going with Rodgers (1), Brady (2) and then Brees (3)

beastlyskronk
08-30-2012, 04:44 PM
When the top QB's are likely to be throwing for 40-45 TD's, that is a large points differential in this scoring system for Cam to overcome (lower points differential in standard leagues as rushing TD points make up larger percentage), and personally, I don't think Cam scores as many rushing TD's this season and often QB's who have had a good rookie season have suffered from some sort of sophomore slump the following year.

He may not get as many rushing TDs this year but he'll get more passing TDs. I doubt he'll have a slump this year, he actually had an offseason this year to get better as opposed to just coming in with barely anything last year. He'll throw for 30-35 TDs and rush for 7-10 more