PDA

View Full Version : My FIRST Fantasy Football Draft

getlynched47
09-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Been a football fan since 1997, but only this year was I talked into using my NFL knowledge and joining a 14-team league.

I know that in-depth NFL knowledge doesn't necessarily translate to a Fantasy football kingpin, but I figure I'd give it a shot. What do you think of my roster?

I know, I know. I went with A LOT of sleeper picks. I had the crappy #11 overall pick, so I missed out on some awesome players :(

QB: Joe Flacco
RB: DeMarco Murray, Doug Martin
WR: Jeremy Maclin, Torrey Smith
TE: Jimmy Graham
Flex1: Pierre Garcon
Flex2: David Wilson

Bench: Kyle Rudolph, Evan Royster, Titus Young

K: Garrett Hartley
DEF/ST: Jacksonville

DEF1: Navorro Bowman
DEF2: Luke Kuechly

What do you think? Serviceable? I got a kick drafting some of these players that nobody at my draft party ever heard of :laugh:

canadiansbronco
09-04-2012, 10:41 PM
For a 14 team league it's pretty decent, you sure dont have the sexy QB tho :P.

Your running back are good in theory but are all unproven ( 2 rookies, 1 one good year), your TE is a beast and your wr are good, macclin is great but smith is decent and garcon should be solid

I would give this team a c +

theMileHighGuy
09-04-2012, 10:44 PM
After Jimmy Graham pretty much all of your players are question marks. You could be in for a rough season. Your wide receivers aren't too bad, Titus young could turn into your biggest producer. Nice selections on defense though (man I wish we had Kuechly :( ) You could have done worse in a 14-team league.

InsaneBlaze23
09-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Been a football fan since 1997, but only this year was I talked into using my NFL knowledge and joining a 14-team league.

I know that in-depth NFL knowledge doesn't necessarily translate to a Fantasy football kingpin, but I figure I'd give it a shot. What do you think of my roster?

I know, I know. I went with A LOT of sleeper picks. I had the crappy #11 overall pick, so I missed out on some awesome players :(

What do you think? Serviceable? I got a kick drafting some of these players that nobody at my draft party ever heard of :laugh:

My first time playing FF was last season. Needless to say I'm addicted to drafting, not so much Fantasy itself but for some reason I love drafting.

Anyways I do think NFL knowledge does in some form of a way translate to fantasy. Not in a major way, but it shows how much you pay attention to the sport, to the players on other teams not just that of your own...your knowledge of rookies, skills, etc.

I'm not sure I understand your team. How is it that your drafted defensive players? Is this a 14-man league thing or was it the site you used?

I think Flacco will have a great year, people are sleeping on him.
David Wilson is creating some buzz, Doug Martin should be a beast with the Bucs, DeMarco Murray should be good.
Can't go wrong with Jimmy Graham.
Outside of Garcon, I'd say your WR's are a gamble.

Overall I'd say on paper your team could be a C+, get some better WR's then a B-. At worst the team is a plain C.

getlynched47
09-05-2012, 08:25 AM
For the record, I did not pick players blindly. I had good reasons for the players that I picked.

Baltimore Ravens are moving to an up-tempo, no-huddle offense and Cam Cameron is giving Flacco the reins. No more conservative playcalling means Flacco is primed for his best season yet.

Murray was a BPA 1st round pick, because I heard that going runningback-heavy is the way to go. Doug Martin was a value 3rd round pick who I felt was too good to pass up because Tampa Bay will be using him as their feature back.

Maclin is primed for a breakout season, and I'm thoroughly convinced that he will outproduce DeSean Jackson. All OTA/Training Camp reports peg these two guys being dominant offensive players this year.

With Robert Meachem gone to San Diego, I think Graham will pick up more production and easily surpass double-digit touchdowns.

Starting in Washington, I think "The Shanahan Plan" will be to force-feed their number 1 receiver. He should be very productive in the Shanny offense as long as RGIII gets him the ball.

I think he'll overtake Ahmad Bradshaw as the G-Men feature back sooner than we all think. The guy is so explosive and brimming with fantasy potential that I couldn't pass him up in the 7th round.

Rudolph has reportedly been Christian Ponder's go-to-guy and by all accounts will be a potent red-zone weapon. If Graham isn't producing, Rudolph is a great fallback option IMO because I think he'll hit double-digit touchdowns as long as he stays healthy. Royster was a risky pick, but he is very very productive in the Shanahan offense. As long as he can maintain his steady production and stay ahead of Roy Helu/Alfred Morris, he should be a great bench player should David Wilson or DeMarco Murray disappoint me. Titus Young has passed Nate Burleson on the depth chart and I think he has the most potential out of my bench to get me points. All reports have been glowing in regards to Titus Young.

Picked them up in the 14th and 15th round, respectively. Jacksonville was a very underrated defense last year, finishing 6th overall.

Taking high tackle-count linebackers in an IDP league is the smartest thing to do considering how many points they can get me. Linebackers are the most likely to get a good balance of tackles, sacks and interceptions, so I project both of these guys to easily surpass 100+ tackles. Considering that Kuechly is already one of the best coverage linebackers in the NFL, I think he can nab me a few interceptions and sacks as well.

CoryWinget81
09-05-2012, 08:32 AM
I've taken Torrey Smith in as many leagues as I could. I think he's a huge sleeper this year.

CoryWinget81
09-05-2012, 08:51 AM
I think you picked too many backups and risk players.

Flacco is boom or bust. Then again, you can win your league with these types of players, I won my fantasy league with Orton in 2010 with Fitz filling in the last two games.

Murray didn't really impress that much in the preseason and I think once the regular season bullets start flying he's gonna have a hard time getting off with Dallas' suspect line. Doug Martin is a huge question mark, but I'd expect 950 and 6-8 TDs.

Which Maclin are you going to get? 2010 10 TD Maclin or 2011 that was so/so? He's healthy for the first time in almost 2 years, so a lot of people are overlooking him.

Graham is the top TE in FF. If he keeps the injuries away he can easily nab 100+. Brees has to keep spreading it around to keep the double-teams off of him though.

I think Santana Moss is going to be RG3's security blanket, not Garcon. He's also gonna get the ball to Davis alot as well out of the bootleg.

I think is Bradshaw's make or break year. David Wilson showed amazing quicks in preseason too. I think Bradshaw, barring injury, makes a huge splash and holds on to the starting role for the season.

Hartley will kick enough XPA's to keep him afloat.

Rudolph will net you some TD's. Gonna be a pain to predict when they're gonna happen though. It'd probably be best to keep him on the bench unless Graham goes down. If he becomes a top target, you can unload him in a trade and get you a more decent RB.

Alfred Morris ends up the starting RB in Washington, IMO.

Titus Young will put up decent numbers.

Your LBs are good. Look for D'qwell Jackson from the Browns on the wire. A lot of people forget what a dominant player he is. I got him in the last round of my IDP draft this year.

InsaneBlaze23
09-05-2012, 09:04 AM
I think Boldin will be the one that benefits the most from Flacco is he succeeds.

underrated29
09-05-2012, 09:31 AM
I had flacco last year...He sucks so bad. I do not know why people think he is this great QB... he blows. You will soon see my friend. I understand the hype he has this year, just like matt ryan. But I personally avoided both of them in my leagues...

Just and FYI- I would start paying attention to the other QBs on the market, because I can almost gurantee you that you will be looking to replace Flacco by mid season. He had as many TDs as josh freeman last year, or andy dalton, or sam bradford and just a couple more than TT.

Your RBs are great. Murray is a stud weather people want to admit it or not. He will get you lots of points. Martin will be the best rookie rusher this year. Great pick! (IS THIS A PPR)- Martin has even more value if this is a PPR.

Maclin is playing in one of the most explosive offenses this year. Last year the eagles averaged like 400 yards a game. Maclin will do real well for you. People sleep on the eagles because they didnt make the playoffs. But maclin will do real well.

Smith- is a wait and see. Me personally, I think he does about last year, with 800-900 yards and 7-8 tds...I wouldnt be surprised if he gets most of them in a couple games and disappears after that.

Not too shabby for your first team.

BroncosDivision
09-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Pretty much repeating what I've said already but..

Doug Martin and Torrey Smith are both amazing late-round value picks. Mark my words, Doug Martin is a new Ray Rice and will make Browns look stupid for picking Trent Richardson.

Joe Flacco has always been very consistent on deep throws. He has a very big arm. Problem has been short and immediate throws. For the first time in Baltimore, Cam has been installing no-huddle and it's gonna pay off.

I've followed Ravens camp as close as ours and Flacco has never looked this good.

BroncosPWNn00bs
09-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Its always funny to me for some reason when I see big time Bronco/NFL Fans who never done fantasy football before. Not sure why, but it just seems shocking. I kind of wish I didn't do it, because its consumed my life for the last 10 plus years :laugh: It does nothing but frustrate me. What made you decide to do it this year btw?

As for your team, 14 team league is pretty tough. Picking 11th, has got to be really tough. Meaning you make 2 picks in a fairly close time, and then don't pick again forever. So based on that, I'd say your team is alright. Has a few sleepers who may pan out. A decent RB. But I guess I'd have to see the rest of your leagues teams to see how you fair. But for a 14 team league, picking 11th, its not too bad. Could be better and could be worse.

And for the person who says Flacco sucks. I agree with that. He reminds me of a Mark Sanchez, Kyle Orton, Alex Smith, ect.. Type of qb. I had him 1 year, and he drove me crazy. Never will get him again. But I've done well in a lot of fantasy leagues with garbage qbs. I focus more on RB's/WR's for the most part.

But good luck. Hopefully you do well, so you'll want to play it again :laugh:

getlynched47
09-05-2012, 09:50 PM
I made a huge mistake and played RB David Wilson at Flex1 today :brick:

What a waste. Oh, and my opponent started Tony Romo if it wasn't bad enough :laugh:

Demarco Murray got me 15 points, so that seems decent!

BroncosDivision
09-11-2012, 02:21 AM
Pretty much repeating what I've said already but..

Doug Martin and Torrey Smith are both amazing late-round value picks. Mark my words, Doug Martin is a new Ray Rice and will make Browns look stupid for picking Trent Richardson.

Joe Flacco has always been very consistent on deep throws. He has a very big arm. Problem has been short and immediate throws. For the first time in Baltimore, Cam has been installing no-huddle and it's gonna pay off.

I've followed Ravens camp as close as ours and Flacco has never looked this good.

Only week 1, but so far..

- Improved Flacco = check
- Doug Martin better than Trent Richardson = check
- Torrey Smith showing promise = check

getlynched47
09-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Quick update, I'm 1-2 on the season.

Roster is pretty much the same except I dropped David Wilson and Evan Royster and added Sam Bradford and Nate Washington (forced to play him with Garcon and Maclin out last week).

I am not digging this fantasy football crap. I lost to two guys who don't know jack about football :mad:

CoryWinget81
09-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Quick update, I'm 1-2 on the season.

Roster is pretty much the same except I dropped David Wilson and Evan Royster and added Sam Bradford and Nate Washington (forced to play him with Garcon and Maclin out last week).

I am not digging this fantasy football crap. I lost to two guys who don't know jack about football :mad:

Fantasy football is equal parts matchup knowledge and luck.

Ive got a loaded roster that's scored the most points out of any team in this particular league, but I've also suffered huge games from the likes of Ryan's 4 td day in week 1 and charles last week. Sometimes you just get bad matchups. Sometimes you get lucky.

getlynched47
10-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I hate this 14-team league. My players are crap (aside from Flacco and Smith) and there are no significant upgrades on the waiver wire :mad:

SBboundBRONCOS
10-02-2012, 02:14 PM
I hate this 14-team league. My players are crap (aside from Flacco and Smith) and there are no significant upgrades on the waiver wire :mad:

ya 14 is ridiculous im in a 10 team $125 league

lost this week by 4 because i started Pitta (who has put up 20ish pts every week) he laid an egg and owen daniels scored 20 on my bench :(

thing you really have to remember in fantasy is all that matters is stats, some might say that marshall is a better reciever than Bowe but bowe has been putting up pretty big numbers in my one league

its hard for an avid fan to look at it like that and it might be why people who dont know as much do well in fantasy

getlynched47
10-02-2012, 02:19 PM
ya 14 is ridiculous im in a 10 team $125 league

lost this week by 4 because i started Pitta (who has put up 20ish pts every week) he laid an egg and owen daniels scored 20 on my bench :(

thing you really have to remember in fantasy is all that matters is stats, some might say that marshall is a better reciever than Bowe but bowe has been putting up pretty big numbers in my one league

its hard for an avid fan to look at it like that and it might be why people who dont know as much do well in fantasy

I see your point. Luckily I only spent $20 to get in my league. Maybe I can convince our commish to do a pizza party so I get my moneys worth :laugh:

kishzilla
10-20-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm in a 16 team league at work, but we split it up into two conferences and two 8 team player pools (So a guy from the west conference can have say Aaron Rodgers, and a guy from the east conference can have him too) So everyone's team is pretty stacked. So far I'm number one in everything but it's weird when you occasionally have the same player as your opponent :eek:

Luckily you can't trade with cross conference teams, so someone isn't able to have like two Arian Fosters or something ridiculous, but the SB will probably be pretty interesting. More than likely we'll have two teams with at least a few of the same players since a lot of what gets you wins in FF is one of or two of the players having a huge year.

Being in a 14 team league is tough when it's all from the same player pool. The pickens are slim and you have to try and maintain high waiver priority and really comb that waiver wire during the week to make opportunistic picks. I don't think I like leagues bigger than like 12 teams from the same player pool. Just too much of a pain in the ass, and you're too susceptible to injuries etc. The verdict is still out on whether or not I like the way our league is at work. If I don't make it to the Championship game I'll probably say it sucks though :laugh:

getlynched47
10-20-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm in a 16 team league at work, but we split it up into two conferences and two 8 team player pools (So a guy from the west conference can have say Aaron Rodgers, and a guy from the east conference can have him too) So everyone's team is pretty stacked. So far I'm number one in everything but it's weird when you occasionally have the same player as your opponent :eek:

Luckily you can't trade with cross conference teams, so someone isn't able to have like two Arian Fosters or something ridiculous, but the SB will probably be pretty interesting. More than likely we'll have two teams with at least a few of the same players since a lot of what gets you wins in FF is one of or two of the players having a huge year.

Being in a 14 team league is tough when it's all from the same player pool. The pickens are slim and you have to try and maintain high waiver priority and really comb that waiver wire during the week to make opportunistic picks. I don't think I like leagues bigger than like 12 teams from the same player pool. Just too much of a pain in the ass, and you're too susceptible to injuries etc. The verdict is still out on whether or not I like the way our league is at work. If I don't make it to the Championship game I'll probably say it sucks though :laugh:

Haha! Yeah my FF team is suffering thanks to injuries to Demarco Murray, Jeremy Maclin, Jimmy Graham and Pierre Garcon.

Forced to start Alex Green, Andrew Hawkins and Brandon LaFell this week :ugh: