PDA

View Full Version : NFL Mount Rushmore?

InsaneBlaze23
09-06-2012, 03:56 PM
With the death of another important piece in the NFL's success, I thought about a MT. Rushmore thread for coaches, owners, GMs. No players.

Here is my Mt. Rushmore:

Vince Lombardi, Al Davis, Art Modell, and Dan Rooney.

Who would you put in a Mt.Rushmore?

HUMCALC
09-06-2012, 04:03 PM
With the death of another important piece in the NFL's success, I thought about a MT. Rushmore thread for coaches, owners, GMs. No players.

Here is my Mt. Rushmore:

Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Reggie White, and Lombardi

InsaneBlaze23
09-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Reggie White, and Lombardi

I'm guessing you misread my post or just didn't read it. I said no players, we've already done a plays Mt.Rushmore.

Charlie Brown
09-06-2012, 04:11 PM

Here is my Mt. Rushmore:

Art Modell? Seriously?

Then I nominate Robert Irsay, Bobby Petrino, Mike Brown, and Art Modell.

Finally a group befitting of him!

InsaneBlaze23
09-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Art Modell? Seriously?

Then I nominate Robert Irsay, Bobby Petrino, Mike Brown, and Art Modell.

Finally a group befitting of him!

You're a Browns fan of course you'd feel that way. Fact of the matter is, Art Modell has done some good things for the NFL.

Charlie Brown
09-06-2012, 04:37 PM
You're a Browns fan of course you'd feel that way. Fact of the matter is, Art Modell has done some good things for the NFL.

So has Robert Irsay. He brought football to Indianapolis! Isn't that what is important?!

The Indianapolis Colts would not exist if not for him - there is no way you can deny that.

InElwayWeTrust
09-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Elway, Elway, Elway, Elway

EvertonBroncos
09-06-2012, 04:39 PM
It's a shame Pete Rozelle missed out on being an NFL GM by a year, otherwise he'd definitely be on there. Otherwise I can't really advance on yours IB23, seems good to me.

HUMCALC
09-06-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm guessing you misread my post or just didn't read it. I said no players, we've already done a plays Mt.Rushmore.

Sorry, misread

InsaneBlaze23
09-06-2012, 04:50 PM
So has Robert Irsay. He brought football to Indianapolis! Isn't that what is important?!

The Indianapolis Colts would not exist if not for him - there is no way you can deny that.

Lol, Art Modell could rescue a baby on an exploding alien planet and you'd still hate him.
Art Modell is one of the most important figures in the history of the modern NFL. He and Pete Rozelle birthed the potential of television to the game. Those funds propelled the game into what it is today. Art was there with Pete, and Art made it happen. Those two, along with Well Mara whom convinced other owners about the power of shared revenue are the three men who pushed the NFL into what we know today

Art Modell’s leadership was an important part of the NFL’s success during the league’s explosive growth during the 1960s and beyond. As the longtime chairman of the league’s Broadcast Committee, Art was a visionary who understood the critical role that mass viewing of NFL games on broadcast television could play in growing the league. Art played important roles in many other league matters as a key advisor to Pete Rozelle and Paul Tagliabue, and also built championship teams in Cleveland and Baltimore. His skills as an owner and league contributor were matched only by his great sense of humor. Any conversation with Art included laughs. He always left you with a smile on your face. We extend our condolences to John, David and the rest of the Modell family.

Charlie Brown
09-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Lol, Art Modell could rescue a baby on an exploding alien planet and you'd still hate him.
Art Modell is one of the most important figures in the history of the modern NFL. He and Pete Rozelle birthed the potential of television to the game. Those funds propelled the game into what it is today. Art was there with Pete, and Art made it happen. Those two, along with Well Mara whom convinced other owners about the power of shared revenue are the three men who pushed the NFL into what we know today

He walked away from that. Whatever good he may have done he ruined. Just like Benedict Arnold. Art Modell was also there when Al Davis threatened to move to LA. Modell called that a BS move. Modell also said what Irsay did was wrong. Further, he said that one of the most tramatic experiences in his life was when the Brooklyn Dodgers left. That totally devastated him.

Yet, what did he do? If he deserves to be in the NFL Hall of Fame so does Robert Irsay. In fact, they should be right next to each other. Whatever accomplishments Modell had while representing the Cleveland Browns are tarnished. He did all of those things that you mentioned above, while being owner of the Browns. The city that he loved more than anything. That's why he had so many charities there.

But, when you love someone and something - why on earth would you stab them in the back?! Et tu Brute?

EddieMac
09-06-2012, 05:17 PM

I would think also maybe Wellington Mara and even our hated rival (RIP) Al Davis.

Charlie Brown
09-06-2012, 05:30 PM
You know what, after thinking about it - Art Modell doesn't deserve to be next to Al Davis nor Robert Irsay.

Al Davis was a sleazy owner. Al Davis sued the NFL multiple times. Al Davis' mantra was "Just win, Baby!". He was a character. Al Davis loved being loathed by .. everyone that wasn't a Raiders fan. That was him. He absolutely LOVED IT. He wanted to be the "bad guy" to everyone.

Robert Irsay was a drunk with an inflated ego. Irsay before he even moved his team had a public news conferance where he was drunk and proclaimed, "This is my damn team!". Then, just as an injunction was made to stop him - he left the city in the Mayflower vans.

Art Modell was a nice guy. Everyone fell in love with him after talking with him. He was like a grandfatherly figure to everyone. He gave willingly and he gave happily - especially to the community in which he lived, Cleveland. Then, after 35 years of friendship and fatherly love, he back stabs you. That's worse than all of them. Al Davis loved being a villain. Robert Irsay was just pathetic. But Art Modell? What he did was on a completely different level.

Comparing him to Brutus like I did above is the perfect example of what he did. He's your closest friend. He's the person that you consider family - even though he isn't. Then after years of trust and love - betrayal.

Like I said, in a different thread. It is sad when anybody dies and I am glad he died relatively peacefully because nobody deserves to linger in pain. But I will never forgive him for what he did. He is the ultimate betrayer and he NEVER DESERVES TO GO INTO THE HALL OF FAME.

BroncoFanBoy
09-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Al Davis, John Elway (his executive part), Vince Lombardi, Bill Bellichick

RaiderFanSD
09-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Al Davis was a sleazy owner. Al Davis sued the NFL multiple times. Al Davis' mantra was "Just win, Baby!". He was a character. Al Davis loved being loathed by .. everyone that wasn't a Raiders fan. That was him. He absolutely LOVED IT. He wanted to be the "bad guy" to everyone.

Yeah, that's true. You know what you got with Al. However he did do a lot of great things that people didn't know about. Like being one of the only owners to pay for medical expenses out of his pocket for the old time players post retirement. Very loyal guy, just don't do him wrong.

& I agree with the OPs choices.

Bernie24
09-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Josh McDaniels, Tim Tebow, Kyle Orton, Jay Cutler

bjoli198
09-07-2012, 04:11 AM
I find it difficult to have a coaches "Mt Rushmore" without either Sid Gillman or Bill Walsh, perhaps both.

What they did for the NFL? well... have you ever heard of the west coast offense?

Buddy Ryan could also be discussed if he belongs there

I do believe Marty Schottenheimer should qualify by nuumber of wins.

FlowdaBroncoFan
09-07-2012, 05:26 AM
Vince Lombardi, Al Davis, Tom Landry, and Bill Bilichick

Frenchy180
09-07-2012, 06:02 AM
I gotta say... I cannot fault Charlie one bit for how he feels about Art Modell. In fact I'd say he's a lot more tame than I would be in a similar situation. You don't mess with a mans professional football team, take it away from him, and have them go on to be successful in their new home and then replace them with the equivalent of a college football team and just expect forgiveness.

I kept hearing what he had done for the game yesterday, and as much as he did to help the game, he did just as much to hurt it by taking football out of Cleveland.

Freyaka
09-07-2012, 06:09 AM
I gotta say... I cannot fault Charlie one bit for how he feels about Art Modell. In fact I'd say he's a lot more tame than I would be in a similar situation. You don't mess with a mans professional football team, take it away from him, and have them go on to be successful in their new home and then replace them with the equivalent of a college football team and just expect forgiveness.

I kept hearing what he had done for the game yesterday, and as much as he did to help the game, he did just as much to hurt it by taking football out of Cleveland.

I remember the Larry, Curly and Modell shirts people were wearing around before he sold the browns.

samparnell
09-07-2012, 08:44 AM
On the original list, I would delete Art Modell and add George Halas who is far more important to the game of football and the NFL than Art Modell. Halas was a player, coach and owner.

Al Davis belongs because he was the main reason the AFL succeeded forcing the NFL to merge. He was far more supportive of the Broncos than Modell who wanted to exclude Denver from the merger. Davis was coach, owner and commissioner.

I like bjoli198's suggestion of a separate group for coaches including Bill Walsh and Sid Gillman. Besides Lombardi and Landry who have been mentioned previously, Steve Owen should be considered. He was a player and a coach in the NFL and won two NFL Championships for the Giants. He invented the 4-3 defense and the A Formation offense. Chuck Noll deserves consideration as well.

Chillez
09-07-2012, 09:24 AM
My list: Vince Lombardi, Al Davis, Art Modell, and Tom Landry.

CTM
09-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, George Halas, Bill Walsh

EddieMac
09-07-2012, 10:23 AM
If I am breaking this down to owners only I would have:

Art Modell, Wellington Mara, Dan Rooney, and Lamar Hunt.

Thors Hammer
09-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Bill Walsh, Don Shula, Tom Landry, Al Davis.

Deebs
09-07-2012, 09:10 PM
For an owners Mount Rushmore: Al Davis, Rooney, Modell, and Lamar Hunt

For coaches: Lombardi, Shula, Landry, Walsh

80stheman
09-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Rooney, Halas, Lombardi, Hunt

AllEyezOnZach27
09-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Owners: Al Davis, Lamar Hunt, Art Rooney & George Halas

Coaches: Bill Wash, Sid Gillman, Vince Lombardi & Paul Brown

Honorable Mentions: Don Shula, Chuck Noll, Tom Landry