PDA

View Full Version : Saints player suspensions overturned

MarkB
09-07-2012, 12:46 PM
@AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/244155334451658752)
Saints players won on appeal...

@AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/244155857649164288)
With Saints winning appeal, suspensions are voided as Roger Goodell doesn't have jurisdiction and Stephen Burbank does.

A three-member appeals panel has overturned the player suspensions in the Saints bounty case, according to a source familiar with the ruling.
The panel overturned a ruling by NFL system arbiter Stephen Burbank that commissioner Rodger Goodell was within his powers under the collective bargaining agreement to suspend four players for their alleged roles in a pay to injure system.
According to source, the suspensions are voided immediately, howevever the commissioner can reconsider discipline if -- and only if -- there is evidence of intent to injure beyond just a performance pool.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/09/07/saints-nfl-suspensions-appeal.ap/

SBboundBRONCOS
09-07-2012, 12:48 PM
wonder what that means for payton

getlynched47
09-07-2012, 12:57 PM
wonder what that means for payton

Payton, Lumis and Vitt all had their suspensions upheld, according to Rotoworld.

Peyton&Eli_fan
09-07-2012, 01:04 PM
I know this isn't popular, but I think it's fair. They never produced anything to show that the players were trying to cause injury. The ledger only proved the play for performance scheme for which the coaches were the proper ones to be punished. They never explained why these particular players were singled out. If they have evidence, they need to provide it.

CoryWinget81
09-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Well, we'll see if there's any evidence now.

I doubt there is, especially after this.

Charlie Brown
09-07-2012, 03:23 PM
This is bull.

Yes, one of the players now plays for the Browns.

These players actively took part in BountyGate and have no right to play.

FlowdaBroncoFan
09-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Well this makes Oct. 28 more interesting when Saint visit the Broncos on Sunday Night Football!

Peyton&Eli_fan
09-07-2012, 06:19 PM
This is bull.

Yes, one of the players now plays for the Browns.

These players actively took part in BountyGate and have no right to play.

Problem is that everyone is using the word bounty without any direct evidence that they tried to hurt other players. All they have evidence of is pay for performance.

Deebs
09-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Florio is saying that the players who had their suspensions lifted may yet be re-suspended, with different wording to conform to what the arbitor rules.

CanDB
09-08-2012, 10:45 AM
I am not siding with the players (just yet), but one thing that makes me think this thing is not over, is Drew Brees' commitment to getting the facts, and providing the evidence required to prove, without any question of doubt, that the players were guilty as charged.

They may well be, but I am curious given Brees' stand on all of this, and public assertion of his stance.

EddieMac
09-08-2012, 10:49 AM
its not saying they were not guilty, it is saying Goodell has no jurisdiction to suspend for the reasons he did.

They will appeal and in the meantime re-word the suspensions and life will go on.

dizzolve
09-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Glad to see a touch of logic from the powers that be.

I liken the commish's punishments to carpet bombing. He needs to use smart bombs (sorry for the analogies -been playing som C&C lol) Don't let personal punishments cause so much collateral damage. Why punish entire teams and fans of teams? Even fans of the entire NFL

These players have already paid a large price. It's not like they're getting off 'scott free' here

An NFL player's career is so arbitrary and unpredictable that suspension penalties should be given only in the most severe cases and with genuine fore-thought. Want punishment to have teeth? Take larger amounts of their $$. You can change behavior when you mess with peep's money.

I've had my fill of Roger Badell

Granted he's been presented with challenges that his predecessors wouldn't dream to have to resolve, but I wish he'd transition these changes smoother. I can't help but think part of his hard line reactions/actions are tailored to bullet point his legacy list. Roger just do your job and stay out of the way -no one cares about you so stop being that guy.

Chillez
09-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Don't know which side to choice from. In any event this makes Saints vs. Broncos game much more interesting now.