PDA

View Full Version : Really, Bears?

CoryWinget81
09-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Matt Forte unhappy losing carries to Michael Bush
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000060389/article/matt-forte-unhappy-losing-carries-to-michael-bush?module=HP11_headline_stack

Matt Forte pumped out 80 yards off 16 carries Sunday, but the Chicago Bears running back was more concerned about the touches he didn't receive in the team's 41-21 win over the Indianapolis Colts.

The evolution of the NFL:
Take a look at how the NFL has evolved from its humble roots, and the efforts being made to ensure it continues to grow.

Namely those money-in-the-bank opportunities down at the goal line, awarded to his new backfield mate Michael Bush. Forte didn't sound happy about it.

"It's been happening my whole career here, so I don't know," Forte told the Chicago Sun-Times. "That's (coordinator Mike Tice's) call."

Brian Urlacher unhappy with extra rest in Bears' win
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000060358/article/brian-urlacher-unhappy-with-extra-rest-in-bears-win?module=HP11_headline_stack

"That was a changeup," said Urlacher. "No, I don't like coming out of the game. But that's the head coach. I do what he says."

With Cutler and Marshall's notorious attitudes, and now Forte and Urlacher chirping about being unhappy with playing time in a WIN...are they going to struggle when unfortunate things start happening?

94SupraTT
09-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Matt Forte unhappy losing carries to Michael Bush
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000060389/article/matt-forte-unhappy-losing-carries-to-michael-bush?module=HP11_headline_stack

Matt Forte pumped out 80 yards off 16 carries Sunday, but the Chicago Bears running back was more concerned about the touches he didn't receive in the team's 41-21 win over the Indianapolis Colts.

The evolution of the NFL:
Take a look at how the NFL has evolved from its humble roots, and the efforts being made to ensure it continues to grow.

Namely those money-in-the-bank opportunities down at the goal line, awarded to his new backfield mate Michael Bush. Forte didn't sound happy about it.

"It's been happening my whole career here, so I don't know," Forte told the Chicago Sun-Times. "That's (coordinator Mike Tice's) call."

Brian Urlacher unhappy with extra rest in Bears' win
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000060358/article/brian-urlacher-unhappy-with-extra-rest-in-bears-win?module=HP11_headline_stack

"That was a changeup," said Urlacher. "No, I don't like coming out of the game. But that's the head coach. I do what he says."

With Cutler and Marshall's notorious attitudes, and now Forte and Urlacher chirping about being unhappy with playing time in a WIN...are they going to struggle when unfortunate things start happening?

Urlacher was hurt in a meaningless game week 17 of last season. Why do more damage? Lovie made the right call. Urlacher has voiced his opinion in the past and I have no problems with it now. He is a competitor so why wouldn't he want to be out there. He is the leader of the defense and I would hope that he would want to be out there.

Taking a headline and just a snippet of what a player says which is out of context can really skew things. But feel free. Totally missing what Forte said after that comment makes his initial comment seem more negative than what it is.

"Mike can do it all, as well," Forte said. "He can catch the ball on third downs, so there are no limitations when I come out of the game. It's not like if I come out on third down, he can't do the same thing."

Forte was quite complimentary of Bush. That was left out though in your quote.

JohnShaft
09-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Both things are being blown out of proportion.

Lovie did the right thing pulling Urlacher. Brian probably stayed annoyed for 30 minutes after the game. But the benefit of the extra rest for him, given a super-short week this early in the season, could be immeasurable.

Matt will not have to carry the load, so he'll stay fresher longer, in games and throughout the season.

Win-Win.

Just the press looking for stories. Nothing to see here. Move along.

CoryWinget81
09-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Urlacher was hurt in a meaningless game week 17 of last season. Why do more damage? Lovie made the right call. Urlacher has voiced his opinion in the past and I have no problems with it now. He is a competitor so why wouldn't he want to be out there. He is the leader of the defense and I would hope that he would want to be out there.

Taking a headline and just a snippet of what a player says which is out of context can really skew things. But feel free. Totally missing what Forte said after that comment makes his initial comment seem more negative than what it is.

Forte was quite complimentary of Bush. That was left out though in your quote.

I posted directly from nfl.com, didn't mean to leave anything out.

I obviously wasn't in the room when the interviews happened, but this coming out after a win still smells stinky.

94SupraTT
09-10-2012, 10:52 AM
I posted directly from nfl.com, didn't mean to leave anything out.

I obviously wasn't in the room when the interviews happened, but this coming out after a win still smells stinky.

I can't help you understand spin if you can't see it yourself. If you want to see controversy and believe every headline that is spoonfed to you thats on you.

JohnShaft
09-10-2012, 10:52 AM
this coming out after a win still smells stinky.No it doesn't. Not unless you're trying to turns molehills into mountains.

Besides, Forte has never proved himself a good goal-line back, simple as.

I'd be 10 times more worried if the coaching staff was making the WRONG decision to salve a player...

CoryWinget81
09-10-2012, 10:55 AM
I can't help you understand spin if you can't see it yourself. If you want to see controversy and believe every headline that is spoonfed to you thats on you.

I wasn't there, nor were you. This is a messageboard, hence we're discussing it.

CoryWinget81
09-10-2012, 10:56 AM
No it doesn't. Not unless you're trying to turns molehills into mountains.

Besides, Forte has never proved himself a good goal-line back, simple as.

I'd be 10 times more worried if the coaching staff was making the WRONG decision to salve a player...

I don't think anyone's questioning if they were the correct decision. :laugh:

94SupraTT
09-10-2012, 11:01 AM
I wasn't there, nor were you. This is a messageboard, hence we're discussing it.

Instead of focusing on what was SAID BY THE PLAYER. You are focusing on the HEADLINE and one line in the article.

Matt Forte unhappy losing carries to Michael Bush.
Forte didn't sound happy about it.

Forte acknowlegded thing are out of his control.

He then is complimentary towards the other back. OH THE HORROR!

"Mike can do it all, as well," Forte said. "He can catch the ball on third downs, so there are no limitations when I come out of the game. It's not like if I come out on third down, he can't do the same thing."

Again. If you can't focus on what was said instead of the spin (in the headline and the line the writer wrote) I can not make you understand spin.

CoryWinget81
09-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Instead of focusing on what was SAID BY THE PLAYER. You are focusing on the HEADLINE and one line in the article.

You're right. Forte acknowlegded thing are out of his control.

He then is complimentary towards the other back. OH THE HORROR!

You preach to me about teaching me about spin but then you try and use some PC hogwash answer in a reply afterwards? :laugh:

94SupraTT
09-10-2012, 11:06 AM
You preach to me about teaching me about spin but then you try and use some PC hogwash answer in a reply afterwards? :laugh:

Had Forte ripped Bush you would have somewhat of an argument. However, now that he acknowledges Bush's talent he is being PC. You see the problem with your reasoning don't you? No matter what Forte's response is you will see controversy. Hence, why you focus on the headline. You are disregarding and downplaying anything that is contrary to your skewed point of view.

CoryWinget81
09-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Had Forte ripped Bush you would have somewhat of an argument. However, now that he acknowledges Bush's talent he is being PC. You see the problem with your reasoning don't you? No matter what Forte's response is you will see controversy. Hence, why you focus on the headline. You are disregarding and downplaying anything that is contrary to your skewed point of view.

So you honestly believe that Forte thinks that Bush can do everything he can? You don't think that's being PC, but being completely and totally honest.

If so, then the he's an idiot and so is the Bears front office for giving him a new deal.

InElwayWeTrust
09-10-2012, 11:21 AM
No it doesn't. Not unless you're trying to turns molehills into mountains...

They probably are molehills.

But if there's anyone in the NFL who can turn a molehill into a mountain, it's JAY CUTLER :laugh:

MorenoFan27
09-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Well Michael Bush screwed me over in fantasy because I have Matt Forte... however, I kinda feel for Forte. He could be something really special, but his whole career he's never been given a shot when it comes to goal line. He does all the work and someone comes in a steals it. That being said you still should care more about a win than your touches

CanDB
09-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Whether interpreted correctly or not (albeit Forte did sound displeased), The Bears have one too many divas based on past behaviour. Lets see if they can keep it all together this year. Maybe, just maybe, they are maturing at just the right time. I believe Jay might be, given his parental status, but I wouldn't bet on Marsh just yet. Forte may have a chip given negotiations and such.

Luckily, they have guys like Idonije (ok, I'm partial to a guy from my part of the planet). He's a class act all the way! The other good news story is Peppers, because as long as Julius is healthy, The Bears have a shot.....plus I like the man.

(And yes, if asked, Jay would be correct that his arm is stronger than Peyton's, AND Elway's.....if we're talking today!);)

JohnShaft
09-10-2012, 11:32 AM
I kinda feel for Forte. He could be something really special, but his whole career he's never been given a shot when it comes to goal line.Not true though. He's had plenty of chances. Not just at the goal-line, but in short yardage at general.

It is, if you can pardon the pun, not his forte...

CoryWinget81
09-10-2012, 11:46 AM
It is, if you can pardon the pun, not his forte...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5reDsSIiAk

DoomTrooper
09-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Didn't Forte just get a new contract? What's he worried about?

I hardly think Bush should be considered a threat to his job.

Maybe there's something to the poisonous atmosphere in the locker room theory...

PhoenixDread
09-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Forte is probably upset because his TDs are being taken away. He knows he has the potential to be in the HOF and numbers really matter if you're a RB. Bush is probably a career backup so it sucks to see someone that is nowhere near your level of talent chip away at your stats.

Urlacher? Maybe the same reason...

GridironChamp
09-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Forte has always seemed to run hard to me, and have never noticed him being a liability in short yardage/goal line situations so I completely understand his frustration.

No matter how much you want to win, when you are as good as Forte it has to be hard to always leave the field when you do everything to get your team down to the 2 yard line.

HavoK471
09-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Forte has always seemed to run hard to me, and have never noticed him being a liability in short yardage/goal line situations so I completely understand his frustration.

No matter how much you want to win, when you are as good as Forte it has to be hard to always leave the field when you do everything to get your team down to the 2 yard line.

Yeah I'm going to agree here

Or maybe he has himself on his fantasy team

samparnell
09-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Denver fans are understandably skeptical about team chemistry when it includes Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall.

Many were/are skeptical of the Jets' locker room after Tebow went there.

However, both the Bears and the Jets won decisively, so for the moment it's just chatter picked up and broadcast by the omnipresent 24/7 social media.

baphamet
09-10-2012, 02:37 PM
same thing happened to ryan mathews last year when he would run the ball all the way to the redzone then tolbert would go in the game and get the goaline carries.

seriously, i like forte as a player but does this guy ever stop crying?

Andyy_47
09-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Only thing that'll hurt Cutler is his diabetes. Was talking to a bears fan tonight and he said he looked so lethargic and tired when he first came out (see that pick 6 from his own endzone, just looked lazy), it's as if his bloody sugar is low in the middle of games. It's a real shame.

Forte was actually pretty low on short yardage conversion last year, I think the stat line read he converted 40%? Bears just wanted better, Bush was high 60s/70s. He got his contract and should just do whats good for the team.

Steve Smith of the Panthers however pointed out when it comes to getting paid, these catches/TDs etc. all get brought up by both parties depending on how good/bad it reads. That's probably why he cares. Took him so long to get this deal.

GridironChamp
09-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Forte was actually pretty low on short yardage conversion last year, I think the stat line read he converted 40%? Bears just wanted better, Bush was high 60s/70s. He got his contract and should just do whats good for the team.

If those stats are correct it makes sense, and even if they aren't it's obvious to everyone watching Bush is a better short yardage back, but I still feel for Forte.

For his whole career he has probably been a top 5 dual threat RB in the league and he gets the least amount of TD chances. That happens to very few RBs.

bears6385
09-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Well Michael Bush screwed me over in fantasy because I have Matt Forte... however, I kinda feel for Forte. He could be something really special, but his whole career he's never been given a shot when it comes to goal line. He does all the work and someone comes in a steals it. That being said you still should care more about a win than your touchesIf there is a weakness in Forte's it's goal line. He scores 42% of the time while Bush is at 68%. Every player wants to be on the field, but it is about wins.

JohnShaft
09-12-2012, 06:31 PM
(Like I said) You're wrong though.

Posted Today: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/46098/one-more-time-matt-forte-and-the-goal-line

Since Forte's career began in 2008, he has gotten more goal-to-go opportunities than all but three NFL running backs. His nine career touchdowns over that stretch is the fewest among all backs with at least 50 such carries, as is his ratio of one touchdown for every 9.6 goal-to-go carries.
Matt needs to shut up and get on with it. Concentrate on things he does very well or great. As in everything but short yardage.