PDA

View Full Version : Scab ref tells Lesean McCoy: "I need you for my fantasy team"

CoryWinget81
09-18-2012, 07:52 AM
http://deadspin.com/5944158/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

It's an important distinction to note that most criticism of the replacement officials is directed not at them, but at the league for forcing it to come to this point. We know the refs are doing the best they can; we know they're just not prepared. (More than getting the calls right, memorizing the rule book and keeping control of the game is hard. It takes years of experience.) So when a huge Saints fan gets slated to work a Saints game, that's the league's fault for not catching it in their "background checks." When a ref who received paychecks from the Seahawks for three years actually worked a Seahawks game, that was the league's fault too.

But this? If this is true, we might have reached the bottom of the professionalism barrel.

Eagles running back LeSean McCoy went on 94WIP in Philadelphia yesterday, and touched on how the refs tend to be intimidated and influenced by players and crowds. Not a surprise—this week, 14 of 16 home teams won their games. But he also gave an example of how the replacement refs seem more like contest winners than hardened employees.

"They're like fans, kind of though. I'll be honest, they're like fans. One of the refs was talking about his fantasy team, like ‘McCoy, come on, I need you for my fantasy [team].'"

Fantasy football, unlike betting, isn't specifically prohibited. But fantasy can have some big money attached—and replacement refs could be the rare fantasy players who actually have a say in the outcomes of games. If McCoy is telling the truth, we've got a major problem with the scabs. Well, another major problem.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Goodell...you need to make a deal with the officials. You're going to start pissing a lot of people off.

Captain_23
09-18-2012, 07:55 AM
i knew this could/would be a possibility of how the refs are blatantly cheating other teams out of calls and having a deciding factor of the outcome of the games.

theMileHighGuy
09-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Just another thing to add to the list. This one isn't so bad he could have said it in passing. I'm sure regular refs play FF too. Unprofessionalism I think is the issue underlying all the problems, but as long as the league continues not to care about it it won't change.

Until it starts to effect their money, they're not going to do anything about it... and it's not like we'll stop watching games.

getlynched47
09-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Wow :laugh:.

I guess Goodell is very very worried about protecting the integrity of the NFL. *sarcasm*

InElwayWeTrust
09-18-2012, 08:10 AM
I gotta find out who is on this guys team so I can trade for those players. :laugh:

ERoyal248
09-18-2012, 08:25 AM
LOL, this is comical.

Chillez
09-18-2012, 08:26 AM
i knew this could/would be a possibility of how the refs are blatantly cheating other teams out of calls and having a deciding factor of the outcome of the games.

You got that right, this is sickening. Wouldn't surprise me if these scab refs beating are on games like Pete Rose did with baseball.

charlespdk
09-18-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure that they're blatantly cheating, but they'll be more inclined to side with their preferred team than a thorough professional would. Like that fumble recovery. There were a bunch of Falcons all round that ref yelling that they had the ball before he said anything then he says they have it and a Bronco comes up with the ball. There were other times last night when it seemed player complaints were influencing flags. Toward the end, they seemed to just stop throwing flags all together. After week one I thought the refs might improve, but it just doesn't look like that. The players are taking over and the league needs to figure out how to reign in these players. If this goes on much longer I wouldn't be surprised to see some retroactive fines being given out.

BroncoFanBoy
09-18-2012, 10:49 AM
If refs are doing that, then Shady's right, they are like fans.

If I ever am picked to ref an NFL game here soon, I will not be shocked.

Goddell, make a deal with the ACTUAL refs. Get these clowns out of here!

SBboundBRONCOS
09-18-2012, 11:19 AM
they are absolutely CORRECT about them being intimidated

i joked about 5 times last night that all the player had to do was start asking for the flag and they came in a solid 20-30 seconds later

specifically on a PI and when Matt Ryan slid and got hit byt Mays and another bronco. he stood up no flag, then 20 seconds later after asking for it he got on. they are ridiculously late, and highly influenced by whats happening around them

they have no business being out there

knoxman36and2
09-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Wow :laugh:.

I guess Goodell is very very worried about protecting the integrity of the NFL. *sarcasm*

You got it. If the money is coming in (and it will because we are addicts to our teams) he could care less about the "integrity" of the game. These first two weeks of the regular season have been sickening beyond words.

Peerless
09-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Something tells me the regular refs will return this season....

// / yardo
09-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Only way this gets fixed is when fans stop watching. Which will be... never.

Steve Young had it right when he said "The league doesn't care. Fans still watch so nothing will change. Refs are a commodity and they'll stick anyone out there because the fans will continue to support the NFL."

That's not verbatim but pretty much his same sentiment.

Remedy
09-18-2012, 06:37 PM
That's unreal.... sigh... last night was such a debacle..

roushmartin6
09-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Just unreal. If this was affecting another sport I would be laughing instead of shaking my head