PDA

View Full Version : [Rockies] Managerial Search Thread

The Experience
10-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Who should we get to manage this team?

I like Brian Butterfield from Toronto a lot.

My list.

Butterfield

DeMarlo Hale

Cecil Cooper

Tim Wallach

Dave Martinez

Broncoholic3233
10-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Does it really matter with O'dowd running the show?

He'll prob just hire himself.

Tracy is gone, for that I am happy. But we are still screwed.

The Experience
10-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Does it really matter with O'dowd running the show?

He'll prob just hire himself.

Tracy is gone, for that I am happy. But we are still screwed.

Truth....

InElwayWeTrust
10-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Please let it be Bobby Valentine!

The Experience
10-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Tom Runnels and AAA manager Stu Cole will be in house candidates per Troy Renck.

Runnels is awful, Cole would be a good choice for bench coach.

Broncoholic3233
10-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Go Giambi!

Player coach!

Atwnbroncfan
10-07-2012, 05:41 PM
With the Rockies looking internal that tells you everything you need to know. They want a yes man who will do everything O'Dowd wants. This team will lose 100 games next year.

Houshmazode
10-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Please let it be Bobby Valentine!

Go Giambi!

Player coach!
PLEASE NO to both.

Giambi has had no business playing since 2010. He would be a terrible Manager. He made millions last year to hit .225 as a pinch hitter and hit only 1 home run.

I would much rather have Helton over Giambi as a player/or coach in a million years at this time.

I really hope it's Bob Apodaca if it's internal, and he's willing to come back. Maybe GlenAllen Hil.

Otherwise Atwn is right.

The Experience
10-07-2012, 07:06 PM
PLEASE NO to both.

Giambi has had no business playing since 2010. He would be a terrible Manager. He made millions last year to hit .225 as a pinch hitter and hit only 1 home run.

I would much rather have Helton over Giambi as a player/or coach in a million years at this time.

I really hope it's Bob Apodaca if it's internal, and he's willing to come back. Maybe GlenAllen Hil.

Otherwise Atwn is right.
Apodaca can't even handle a pitching staff, let alone a whole team.

I also don't understand how a player being good or not would effect his ability to be a manager....

That said I don't want Giambi, Vinny Castilla would be a better choice than him.

Broncoholic3233
10-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Giambi will make a great coach later down the road.

It was a joke however.

But thinking he isn't baseball smart because of his play is a joke. He's a great player, great clubhouse guy and a great leader. He will be a great coach.

The Experience
10-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Thomas Harding says Sandy Alomar Jr. could be a candidate. Would love that hire.

Broncoholic3233
10-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Drew Goodman was talking about the Giambi possibility.

He likes the thought as well. Giambi will be a great coach one day, if he doesn't go to upper level management instead.

We'll see what happens...

The Experience
10-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Drew Goodman was talking about the Giambi possibility.

He likes the thought as well. Giambi will be a great coach one day, if he doesn't go to upper level management instead.

We'll see what happens...
I'd rather him put in a few years as a coach before managing. Would be totally open to him replacing Lansford though.

Houshmazode
10-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Apodaca can't even handle a pitching staff, let alone a whole team.

I also don't understand how a player being good or not would effect his ability to be a manager....

That said I don't want Giambi, Vinny Castilla would be a better choice than him.
Apodaca did good for years in the hardest pitching city in the major leagues using what was given to him until O'Dumb forced him to use the 4-man piggy back joke of a rotation.

I would like Alomar Jr.

The Experience
10-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Apodaca did good for years in the hardest pitching city in the major leagues using what was given to him until O'Dumb forced him to use the 4-man piggy back joke of a rotation.

I would like Alomar Jr.

I don't blame Apodaca completely for our pitching debacle. But he had only 2 years of good pitching. Mostly O'Dowd's fault but Apodaca was bad.

The Experience
10-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm beginning to get this sick feeling in my stomach that it's gonna be Runnells. That would be worse than Tracy.....

Bronco51
10-09-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm beginning to get this sick feeling in my stomach that it's gonna be Runnells. That would be worse than Tracy.....

O'Dowd needs his yes man. So it has to be someone from within. Or they will try someone outside the organization who is a first timer who will come on the cheap and be a yes man.

The Experience
10-09-2012, 11:54 AM
O'Dowd needs his yes man. So it has to be someone from within. Or they will try someone outside the organization who is a first timer who will come on the cheap and be a yes man.

Your probably right, I just hope Geivett (sp?) has more pull than we think.

Bronco51
10-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Your probably right, I just hope Geivett (sp?) has more pull than we think.

He is supposed to be on the radio today. Hopefully he gives some actual insight to their plan instead of some canned responses.

The Experience
10-09-2012, 12:14 PM
He is supposed to be on the radio today. Hopefully he gives some actual insight to their plan instead of some canned responses.

I hope they don't hire someone from their current staff. Would be a nightmare. Sandy Alomar Jr. is my favorite, which means they probably won't even interview him.

The Experience
10-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Jon Heyman, a reliable insider, reports Rockies will look at Sandy Alomar Jr. as manager.

Damn this would be a good hire..... Not sure how much good it'd do with the inept FO, but at least I know we would have a great manager.

Broncoholic3233
10-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Runnells first up, Cole next. then Who?

Jason Giambi remains longshot candidate... If they go outside Sandy Alomar Jr., Tim Wallach likely to get interviews. I know I am getting old when I have covered players who are being considered for field boss jobs

-Troy Renck

The Experience
10-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Runnells first up, Cole next. then Who?

Jason Giambi remains longshot candidate... If they go outside Sandy Alomar Jr., Tim Wallach likely to get interviews. I know I am getting old when I have covered players who are being considered for field boss jobs

-Troy Renck
I honestly don't know why anyone would consider Runnells. He was an awful bench coach for us, what makes us think he would be a good manager, he sucked in Montreal.

Alomar Jr. is the logical choice. Cole is interesting, if we go in house I want him.

Houshmazode
10-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Are Rockies hiring a manager, or a babysitter? Or maybe Cookie Monster
Posted: 10/12/2012 11:26:56 AM MDT
Updated: 10/12/2012 11:52:38 AM MDT
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
No stranger to Denver: Cookie Monster visits with a toddler at the Children's museum of Denver in this 2010 Denver Post file photo. (Hyoung Chang, The Denver Post)

The Rockies need a babysitter.

Real baseball managers need not apply.

So the interview process began with Tom Runnells, who did a bang-up job as the bench coach of a Colorado team that lost a franchise-record 98 games.

If the Rockies want to stay in-house for this hire, the inspired choice would be Todd Helton as player-manager.

Helton loves Colorado. He hates losing. His post-game interview sessions would be more entertaining than wrestling a bear. And filling out a lineup card would give Helton something to do all those days his aching back prevents him from manning first base.

The Rockies have a problem. The reason Jim Tracy quit as skipper is also why no thinking man would want this job at any
Colorado bench coach Tom Runnells had a smile on his face at the batting cage Thursday. The Colorado Rockies began the second half of the season with a light workout at Coors Field Thursday evening, July 12, 2012. (Karl Gehring, The Denver Post)
price.

For better or worse, major-league operations director Bill Geivett is the man behind the curtain pulling all the strings. So the perfect candidate is probably less like Ryne Sandberg and more like Cookie Monster. Colorado needs a puppet to sit in the dugout.

What the next manager of the Rockies will do is wear a uniform, chew on umpires, spit seeds and take blame for every seven-game losing streak.

It's not the ineptitude of this baseball team that's so disturbing.

It's the blind commitment to the Rockies' way.

Franchise owner Dick Monfort knows 2.5 million fans will show up merely by opening the gates to Coors Field. So why would he ever spend good money on a starting pitcher again, when general manager Dan O'Dowd espouses the built-in excuse that climbing the mound at 5,280 feet above sea level is as daunting as scaling Mt. Everest?

The Rockies don't need a manager.

All this ballclub requires is somebody to pick up the mess left in the clubhouse by O'Dowd and make certain this next generation of Kid Rocks is showered and in bed by 11:30 p.m.

Hey, the team might stink, but it's easy on ownership's wallet.

Why waste $1.4 million in salary expenses for somebody like Jason Giambi or a manager who might actually have a mind of his own?

The Rockies should be able to find an awesome babysitter for no more than $15 hour

This franchise is doomed.

Houshmazode
10-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Tom Runnells meets with Dan O'Dowd, Dick Monfort about manager job
Posted: 10/12/2012 07:04:04 PM MDT
Updated: 10/12/2012 11:55:59 PM MDT
By Patrick Saunders
The Denver Post
Blog: On the Rox

Troy E. Renck and Patrick Saunders add analysis and notes to this blog focussing on the Colorado Rockies.

Tom Runnells met with Rockies owner Dick Monfort and general manager Dan O'Dowd on Friday, the second step of the interview process for the team's manager job.

Runnells flew back to his home near Toledo, Ohio, after completing the interviews. He could not be reached for comment.

Runnells, the Rockies' bench coach the past three seasons, is the leading in-house candidate to replace Jim Tracy as manager. Runnells, 57, interviewed with Bill Geivett, the team's director of major-league operations, for several hours Thursday night.

Geivett has had several conversations with Triple-A Colorado Springs manager Stu Cole, but so far a formal interview hasn't been scheduled.

Geivett has said it's possible the Rockies still will look outside the organization for a new manager, but that decision hasn't been made.

Tracy resigned Sunday, walking away from a contract that would have paid him $1.4 million in 2013, the final year of the deal.

The Rockies dismissed hitting coach Carney Lansford and third-base coach Rich Dauer on Monday night. Other coaching changes could come, but likely will be made with the input of the team's new manager.

Read more: Tom Runnells meets with Dan O'Dowd, Dick Monfort about manager job - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_21762092/tom-runnells-meets-dan-odowd-dick-monfort-about#ixzz29Cz0scT2
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

We can pretty much count on Runnells being our new manager. Seems like Geivett has turned into Dick's new yes man.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb13nlHgLv1r9lavm.gif

The Experience
10-14-2012, 11:07 AM
If they hire Runnells, The Rockies will no longer be my #1 team. They absolutely disgust me, Tigers will move to #1 because they give a damn about winning. I will still follow and root for the Rockies but not as my favorite team.

Prove me wrong Rockies.

Broncoholic3233
10-14-2012, 11:26 AM
If they hire Runnells, The Rockies will no longer be my #1 team. They absolutely disgust me, Tigers will move to #1 because they give a damn about winning. I will still follow and root for the Rockies but not as my favorite team.

Prove me wrong Rockies.

So, you aren't a die-hard Rockies fan in other words? Weird, I always pegged you as one...didn't see this one coming...thought you were one of the few die-hard Rockies fans on this board...

The Experience
10-14-2012, 12:12 PM
So, you aren't a die-hard Rockies fan in other words? Weird, I always pegged you as one...didn't see this one coming...thought you were one of the few die-hard Rockies fans on this board...

I am and I was prolly just talking out of my ass in that post. It's hard for me to cheer for a team in the state I don't live in. I'm just frustrated with this damn team right now....

I have actually threatened to do this multiple times before, I just can't bring myself to not cheer for the Rockies. As hard as it is to be a Rockies fan right now with a team ran by retards.

Broncoholic3233
10-14-2012, 12:16 PM
I am and I was prolly just talking out of my ass in that post. It's hard for me to cheer for a team in the state I don't live in. I'm just frustrated with this damn team right now....

Ok, that's what I thought.

Just had to snap you out of it.. ;)

The Experience
10-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Ok, that's what I thought.

Just had to snap you out of it.. ;)

Yea it seemed like a good idea at the time. Rockies with the 3rd worst record in baseball and the Tigers having a legit shot at a championship.

Still love the Tigers though.....

Broncoholic3233
10-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Tigers are probably my number two 'team'.

I like Jeter a LOT, so Yankees have always been up there with me. I also like Robbie a lot.

My roommate and good buddy is a huge Tigers fan, so I watch them with him a lot on MLB.tv so they have grown on me, so probably my 2nd team.

But Rockies are, and will always be, my team.

I will however follow CarGo and root for him, if he ever leaves. But, when CarGo and Rockies meet, Rockies all the way. Got a bad feeling CarGo won't be a Rockie for much longer, if you can't tell. Think he's sick of this crap ass team, and wants out. Can't blame him.

The Experience
10-15-2012, 08:38 AM
It would be a huge shame to lose Cargo. But I share the same feeling you do. Not sure how much longer he'll be around

The Experience
10-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Rockies to interview Giambi then talk to outside candidates per Troy Renck.

Can't believe they are actually considering a guy who has zero coaching experience. God this team is so stupid.

Houshmazode
10-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Yea I'm sure CarGo hasn't been happy at all for a couple years. Since Tulo was hurt I hardly ever saw him hustle after an outfield hit or run to 1st.

Can't believe Giambi is a candidate.

Broncoholic3233
10-16-2012, 03:30 PM
I disagree with that. CarGo still hustles, it's just so easy for him, it looks like he doesn't. That's what they always talk about, how to us, it looks like a lack of effort, but that's just how he is, it's that easy for him he can do it so nonchalantly.

----------------------------------

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck
More-suited than most think. He's spent last few years preparing for this transition IMO RT @BillyStup: Giambi the manager type?

Bronco51
10-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Giambi.......SMH.....well I guess he must have proven he can say yes to O'Dowd.

Houshmazode
10-16-2012, 06:34 PM
I disagree with that. CarGo still hustles, it's just so easy for him, it looks like he doesn't. That's what they always talk about, how to us, it looks like a lack of effort, but that's just how he is, it's that easy for him he can do it so nonchalantly.
I've seen him hustle and I've seen him go through the motions. What he did most of this season was far from his hustling. He flat out looked like he didn't care a lot. No, he wasn't hustling. I've seen him try a lot harder than that.

Broncoholic3233
10-22-2012, 01:22 PM
There are no misperceptions of his intentions. Jason Giambi wants to become the next manager of the Rockies.
He is willing to retire as a player to make this happen. He is willing to work within the framework of baseball's most unusual infrastructure.
Giambi's candidacy went from intriguing to legitimate after his impressive interview Thursday. He is expected to have another meeting, likely with general manager Dan O'Dowd and owner Dick Monfort.
The Rockies aren't even sure they will look at outside candidates anymore, a hint of how seriously they are taking Giambi.
The idea of a veteran player taking over the Rockies without any coaching experience seemed preposterous last February. Jim Tracy was given an indefinite contract extension. It was a handshake deal, guaranteeing only the 2013 season. But nobody figured that Tracy would be gone this month. Disappointing results on the field and a restrictive role going forward led Tracy to walk away rather than accept a $1.4-million check. His move stunned Rockies officials. Hiring Giambi would produce a national shock.
Outside of Colorado, Giambi is still viewed through a kaleidoscope, the life of the party, a tainted slugger who admitted use of performance-enhancing drugs in the BALCO case years ago.
Leader of a fraternity? Yes. Leader of a baseball team? Few saw this coming.
But Giambi has carved out a new reality since joining the Rockies in 2009, changes that have put him in this position. He became a reserve, coming full circle as a player. He has gone from a rookie getting hazed by Oakland's veterans to the 2000 American League MVP to the object of affection and scorn with the Yankees to a pinch hitter with the Rockies.
During this time, he changed his lifestyle and diet. When he's surrounded now by empty bottles at night, it's from feeding his and his wife's first-born, infant daughter, London. He spent the past three seasons talking strategy and discussing moves with Tracy and bench coach Tom Runnells, who remains a strong candidate for the Rockies' top spot as well.
Giambi's story, in many ways, mirrors that of Clint Hurdle, who was on the cover of Sports Illustrated as a teenager. He lived with fame and disappointment, and when he stopped drinking, he emerged from his Rockies hitting coach job to the manager's post.
The difference is obvious: Hurdle climbed the rungs in the minor leagues and coaching ranks after his playing career. He worked a variety of roles.
But Giambi is only three years younger than Hurdle was when he took over for Buddy Bell in 2002. What has transpired in Chicago and St. Louis this year makes Giambi's ascension more feasible. It's a copycat league, and Robin Ventura and Mike Matheny transitioned seamlessly into the manager's spot. Ventura led the surprising White Sox to a near playoff berth this season, and Matheny guided the Cardinals back into the NLCS.
There are understandable questions about Giambi, namely whether he can be a disciplinarian with former teammates. Observing him for over three seasons, he clearly has the players' respect. He provides advice on everything from hitting stances to pitch sequences to how to deal with injuries.
And I have seen his edge. He likes to be liked. But he doesn't like everything and everyone. He has strong opinions. I believe players would play hard for Giambi, not wanting to let him down or let this experiment fail. He understands pitching through a hitter's eye. This isn't a bad thing. Hurdle was like this. He didn't talk mechanics, but he knew guys' strengths and which pitches got hitters out. Hiring a veteran pitching coach such as Bob McClure would help in this regard as well.
For an experiment such as this to work, Giambi would have to work in concert with assistant general manager Bill Geivett. The two have had a good relationship. Hiring Giambi, for most teams, would seem like a huge leap in faith.
But the Rockies have narrowed the manager's responsibilities. He's responsible for in-game strategy and dealing with the media. In this framework, Giambi should be viewed as a serious candidate.

Read more: Renck: Jason Giambi's chances for Rockies manager are legit - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/renck/ci_21819909/troy-e-renck-jason-giambis-chances-rockies-manager#ixzz2A3r1Codd

Love it regardless of what most of you think. I'm willing to give him a shot. He's a great baseball mind, demands respect, and already receives respect. He is already pretty much a coach as a player, and the whole team loves him. He's not going to be a push over either, like Tracy was.

Giambi will make as good of a coach as anyone under these awful conditions the Monforts and O'dowd has put the rockies in.

Good luck Giambi, and hope ya get the job.

The Experience
10-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Read more: Renck: Jason Giambi's chances for Rockies manager are legit - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/renck/ci_21819909/troy-e-renck-jason-giambis-chances-rockies-manager#ixzz2A3r1Codd

Love it regardless of what most of you think. I'm willing to give him a shot. He's a great baseball mind, demands respect, and already receives respect. He is already pretty much a coach as a player, and the whole team loves him. He's not going to be a push over either, like Tracy was.

Giambi will make as good of a coach as anyone under these awful conditions the Monforts and O'dowd has put the rockies in.

Good luck Giambi, and hope ya get the job.
I'm not to disagree with anything you said, I agree pretty much on everything.

But I'd rather hire one with coaching experience. Sandy Alomar Jr. is clearly the best fit. But our FO is borderline retarded.

That being said if it comes down to Giambi and Runnels, I take Giambi any day of the week. Runnells is awful.

Broncoholic3233
10-22-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm not to disagree with anything you said, I agree pretty much on everything.

But I'd rather hire one with coaching experience. Sandy Alomar Jr. is clearly the best fit. But our FO is borderline retarded.

That being said if it comes down to Giambi and Runnels, I take Giambi any day of the week. Runnells is awful.

If we didn't have our GM co-managing, then I'd agree for the most part with experience. However, under these circumstances I don't think it matters. I'd be fine with Alomar Jr too.

The Experience
10-22-2012, 02:17 PM
If we didn't have our GM co-managing, then I'd agree for the most part with experience. However, under these circumstances I don't think it matters. I'd be fine with Alomar Jr too.

Your spot on. This team is an absolute mess. It will never change until dumb & dumber sell the team.

Houshmazode
10-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Ozzie Guillen has just been fired. Please no.

Bronco51
10-23-2012, 02:11 PM

He's not a yes man. I wouldn't worry. Plus O'Dowd knows Ozzie would punk him around all season long.

Broncoholic3233
10-23-2012, 03:06 PM
He's not a yes man. I wouldn't worry. Plus O'Dowd knows Ozzie would punk him around all season long.

This.

Which is why I'd love Ozzie....just to take over our FO, and not listen to them at all.

But, I'll be happy with Giambi.

Atwnbroncfan
10-23-2012, 04:22 PM

The world has better odds to end tomorrow than Guillen does to be the next Rockies manager.

The Experience
10-23-2012, 05:26 PM
I would love Ozzie, he is just the type of manager this team needs.

It will never happen....

In other news, The Rockies are officially looking at outside candidates.

LakotaBronco
10-24-2012, 11:36 AM

It just won't happen....

Broncoholic3233
10-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck
Rockies have talked w Walt Weiss about the manager's job according to a major league source

Atwnbroncfan
10-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck
Rockies have talked w Walt Weiss about the manager's job according to a major league source

HAHA wow just wow. Talking to one of the better HIGH SCHOOL coaches to take over an MLB club. I know his background is rich in baseball. But it's his first freaking year coaching high school ball. This is just getting embarrassing.

Just hire Giambi and be done with it.

Houshmazode
10-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Yea I'll be fine w/Giambi.

BroncoFanBoy
10-26-2012, 12:16 PM
I would love Ozzie, he is just the type of manager this team needs.

It will never happen....

In other news, The Rockies are officially looking at outside candidates.

We do need a guy that can motivate the club, true, but we do not need someone who is outspoken, like Ozzie. No thanks.

Bronco51
10-26-2012, 01:42 PM
All they are doing is looking at popular former Rockies to manage. They must be thinking that the fans won't turn on popular ex Rockies as quickly as they did on Tracy. Think my again my friends. You have been exposed. They are better off finding the best mananger available, not the one who can 'survive' some more disastrous seasons. And if they do go for Giambi or some other first year no experience yes man, 90 loss seasons will be the norm around here.

The Experience
10-28-2012, 11:32 AM
3 more guys interviewed for the job.

Phillies Bench coach Pete Mackanin

Former White Sox and Mets Manager Jerry Manuel

DBacks 3rd base coach Matt Williams.

The Experience
10-28-2012, 11:33 AM
My current list

Sandy Alomar Jr.
Ron Wotus
Matt Williams
Jerry Manuel

Broncoholic3233
10-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Goodman and Hastings would both love Weiss as the new manager.

He's not my favorite. But, don't think it would be all that bad thinking more about it. Demands respect, he's a good presence to have as well.

We'll see what happens.

Broncoholic3233
10-30-2012, 06:17 PM
The Rockies' managerial search has reached the evaluation stage.

Team owner Dick Monfort, general manager Dan O'Dowd and assistant GM Bill Geivett are scheduled to meet later this week to discuss the candidates.

At this time, there are six named candidates: Bench coach Tom Runnells; 41-year-old veteran player Jason Giambi; former Rockies shortstop Walt Weiss; former White Sox and Mets manager Jerry Manuel; former Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin; and current Diamondbacks bench coach Matt Williams.

A major-league source said Tuesday that the list is not likely to expand, but didn't rule out the possibility that the Rockies could decided to talk to another candidate.

The Rockies have expressed interest in San Francisco Giants bench coach Ron Wotus, but as of Tuesday no interview had been scheduled.

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_21891345/colorado-rockies-front-office-six-manager-candidates

Broncoholic3233
10-30-2012, 06:20 PM
The Rockies haven't decided if will interview more candidates. If the list sticks at 6, then Weiss and Giambi have to be considered favorites, IMO. If going with no one with experience, Weiss could have slight edge over Giambi. This role is unique. Experience counts for managers, no doubt. But the way this role is structured, it is set up for a first-year manager.

-Troy Renck

BroncoFanBoy
10-30-2012, 09:47 PM
I like Weiss a lot.

Houshmazode
10-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Williams or Giambi plz.

The Experience
11-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Troy Renck is reporting that the 4 finalists for the job are

Giambi
Runnels
Weiss
Williams

Sucks no interviews for Wotus or Alomar. But out of those 4 Williams is the best choice.

If Runnells gets it I am gonna scream. Worst bench coach I have ever seen and he sucks as a manager even more....

Broncoholic3233
11-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Giambi
Weiss
Williams
Runnels

That's my order of want.

The Experience
11-01-2012, 03:33 PM
My order

Williams
Weiss
Giambi

Runnells

The Experience
11-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Nothing against Giambi, but I'd rather have someone with coaching experience (unless its Runnells).

Williams would be a great choice, good hard nosed player in his day. He comes from Kirk Gibson's no-nonsense style. Which is something we need. No more pushovers.

Broncoholic3233
11-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Rockies will meet with Giambi and Weiss today.

Very possible one of them will be chosen.

We'll see.

Houshmazode
11-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Sounds like they'll make their decision today. At least it won't be Runnells.

Atwnbroncfan
11-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Watch the Rockies are going to "Revolutionize" the manager postion in baseball and hire two co-managers in Weiss and Giambi.

As ridiculous as this sounds, I wouldn't put it past the Rockies to "think outside of the box"

I'm 50/50 on the joking serious split

Bronco51
11-02-2012, 11:13 AM
If' it's not Matt Williams, I will go with Weiss.

Broncoholic3233
11-02-2012, 12:56 PM
http://yfrog.com/scaled/landing/686/e5avz.jpg

I'm pulling for Giambi!

getlynched47
11-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Breaking News:

The Colorado Rockies have hired a baked potato to be their new Manager. "I'm so excited for this opportunity, I can barely keep from ripping my skin off" said the baked potato.

Sources close to the situation report that the baked potato was signed to a 6 year, $2 million contract with additional incentives for selling Lays potato chips during home games. "This is a huge step forward for the Colorado Rockies, we are moving in the right direction" said Rockies General Manager Dan O'Dowd.

"We're so excited for the future", added Rockies co-owner Charlie Monfort.

I'm bored at work :(

The Experience
11-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Matt Williams interviewing monday

The Experience
11-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Rockies have narrowed it down to 2.

Matt Williams and Walt Weiss.

Broncoholic3233
11-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Yeah..

Meh, don't really care much anymore.

Go Weiss.

Houshmazode
11-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Williams pls. At least he was in the majors last year.

The Experience
11-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Williams pls. At least he was in the majors last year.

He is a great hire. He is a tough no nonsense type of guy. Just what this team needs.

Blondie79
11-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Theres some reports out that Giambi is still in play for manager

#Rockies GM said "(Jason) Giambi is still in play" for mgr job despite reports that say GIambi was out

JakeNbake
11-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Matt Williams was my favorite player when I was young.

Broncoholic3233
11-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Theres some reports out that Giambi is still in play for manager

#Rockies GM said "(Jason) Giambi is still in play" for mgr job despite reports that say GIambi was out

Woo! Hope that is true

Blondie79
11-07-2012, 09:59 PM
wiess is it - wanted giambi myself

Bronco51
11-07-2012, 10:07 PM
With Weiss, losing will be tolerated because he was a fan favorite. I wish I had the money to buy the Post's stake in the Rockies. Maybe I could have a lttle pull.

BroncoFanBoy
11-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Wahoo, Weiss!! I honestly feel he was our best choice. The dude knows his baseball, no doubt.

Broncoholic3233
11-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Damn, wanted Giambi, but Weiss was second.

Congrats, and God help you!

Broncoholic3233
11-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Drew Goodman ‏@ROOTSPORTS_DG
Congrats to Walt Weiss new mgr of #rockies...mans man...will command respect while being well liked...great move...

The Experience
11-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Congrats to Weiss. I wanted Williams but Weiss is good. Better than Runnells.

He needs a ton of help though.

Atwnbroncfan
11-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Congrats to Weiss. I wanted Williams but Weiss is good. Better than Runnells.

He needs a ton of help though.

Really a High School coach is better than a MLB bench coach? BA! HAHAHAHA

Just because he is a former rockie does not qualify him for the job. But then again the manager here is just a puppet anyways so it really doesn't matter.....SMH this organization.

JakeNbake
11-08-2012, 01:55 AM
Well maybe something magical will happen. But if I were a Rockies fan I wouldn't be happy at all.

The Experience
11-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Really a High School coach is better than a MLB bench coach? BA! HAHAHAHA

Just because he is a former rockie does not qualify him for the job. But then again the manager here is just a puppet anyways so it really doesn't matter.....SMH this organization.
Runnells has already proven to be a horrible manager, he even sucks at bench coach.

Weiss has yet to prove anything, I rather have the unknown than the knowingly bad.

The Experience
11-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Well maybe something magical will happen. But if I were a Rockies fan I wouldn't be happy at all.

I'm not happy, but not because we hired Weiss. It doesn't matter who we hire. The FO of this team is so god awful that no manager could succeed here.

Broncoholic3233
11-08-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm not happy, but not because we hired Weiss. It doesn't matter who we hire. The FO of this team is so god awful that no manager could succeed here.

Yup.

I have no problem with Weiss being hired. But...until the FO changes and ownership changes...I won't be able to expect a good season anytime soon, even with allstars like CarGo and Tulo.

Houshmazode
11-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Well thank god it wasn't Runnells. Not sure how I feel about the hiring yet but I hope (and I know it's a long shot) that Matt Williams still joins the staff somehow.

Bronco51
11-08-2012, 04:41 PM
A 1 year deal for Weiss. I guess they are about as confident in this hire as most of the fans are. Maybe that's why the pool was shallow.

Houshmazode
11-08-2012, 04:57 PM
A 1 year deal
http://unlimitedlivesblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/picard-facepalm.jpg?w=300

Broncoholic3233
11-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck
Owner Dick Monfort said "this is Walt's job as long as he wants it".

It's like I've heard this before...I just can't remember when... :laugh:

Bronco51
11-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck
Owner Dick Monfort said "this is Walt's job as long as he wants it".

It's like I've heard this before...I just can't remember when... :laugh:

He must not have heard of things called video recorders and the internet!

Broncoholic3233
11-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Weiss "it's a bottom-line business it's all about Ws". ....That is very refreshing to hear