PDA

View Full Version : going to the Thursday night game

doggz109
11-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Any tips or suggestions? Been to the Coliseum once before.....bout eight years ago and it was a dump then.

I'm planning to wear my Elway throwback jersey and the wife is going to wear her Tebow one (don't have a Manning one yet). Say a prayer that we get out alive. :)

FabrizioHC
11-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Put some duct tape on her jersey and change it to Caleb Hanie or something :laugh:

But have fun! Hopefully we put a good 40+ on them

86Elwayfan
11-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Put some duct tape on her jersey and change it to Caleb Hanie or something :laugh:

But have fun! Hopefully we put a good 40+ on them

Best advice ever?? I think so.

kevlar441
11-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Don't drink the water. (Look what it did to Bill Romanowski.)

;)

// / yardo
11-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Don't drink the water. (Look what it did to Bill Romanowski.)

;)

Ha ha! And if a cabby ask if you "wanna go to see the show". Don't do it. The things Janikowski does to that donkey are just down right disgusting.

japfaff
11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Any tips or suggestions? Been to the Coliseum once before.....bout eight years ago and it was a dump then.

I'm planning to wear my Elway throwback jersey and the wife is going to wear her Tebow one (don't have a Manning one yet). Say a prayer that we get out alive. :)

I go every year, and before last season I never had an issue. And that was a drunk guy picking a fight with my 11 year old nephew. The fans for the most part are cool. Of course there are the drunk a-holes, but those are in every stadium. Just go there have a good time , and if someone in your section looks like he might become a jerk. Just buy him a beer. That ALWAYS brings them around

Mr. Pro Bowl
11-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Its a rough place. I lived in Sacramento for 12 years and attended lots of Raider games, be careful.

Philip Schwartz
11-30-2012, 06:18 PM
I am going also. It will be my birthday. I still don't know what to wear. I will probably wear my Knowshon jersey as I wore it last time I went and we won.

As long as you are respectful to the people there, you shouldn't have any problems <- applies mostly anywhere

Sophia23
11-30-2012, 06:46 PM
People always seem scared at the idea of Denver in Oakland.... be safe, apparently their one of the rougher crowds...

Mr. Pro Bowl
11-30-2012, 09:15 PM
It doesn't really matter what jersey you wear there, 9ers, Chiefs, Broncos, Steelers, Dolphins you can have problems in Oakland, especially at a night game. And it also doesn't matter if you a respectful because by wearing theses colors you are attracting attention to yourself without even saying anything. I would just wear neutral colors and enjoy the game.

Philip Schwartz
11-30-2012, 09:45 PM
It doesn't really matter what jersey you wear there, 9ers, Chiefs, Broncos, Steelers, Dolphins you can have problems in Oakland, especially at a night game. And it also doesn't matter if you a respectful because by wearing theses colors you are attracting attention to yourself without even saying anything. I would just wear neutral colors and enjoy the game.

The coliseum isn't as bad as it's made out to be. It would be way worse if you were a 49ers fan. Most Raider fans aren't that bad, although they are at least a little crazy. There are always a couple of bad apples, but if you treat them like you should treat fellow human beings and avoid compromising situations, you should be fine. I can understand if you want to avoid making yourself a target by wearing neutral colors; however, that is not entirely necessary. I would avoid going to the restroom alone, though, as they are a convenient place for troublemakers to do bad things. Also, expect to get insulted and heckled. Unhappy fans and alcohol don't mix well.

Frenchy180
12-01-2012, 12:54 AM
That's awesome... I'd like to one day go to a Broncos game in Oakland

kevlar441
12-01-2012, 01:50 AM
That's awesome... I'd like to one day go to a Broncos game in Oakland

Why? Thirsty?

;)

japfaff
12-01-2012, 06:54 AM

I think that you are way off the mark here. Oakland fans are not a that different from Denver fans. They are fine. Like I said in 13 trips I have only had 1 incident, and that was one drunk guy. All the other Raider fans in my section were thinking what I was, I was the only one to be willing to speak up. But 95% of them are just football fans wanting to watch some good football

Philip Schwartz
12-01-2012, 07:25 AM
I think that you are way off the mark here. Oakland fans are not a that different from Denver fans. They are fine. Like I said in 13 trips I have only had 1 incident, and that was one drunk guy. All the other Raider fans in my section were thinking what I was, I was the only one to be willing to speak up. But 95% of them are just football fans wanting to watch some good football

I agree. The thing about Raider fans is that, as bad as their team is and has been, they still stick with their team. That is true loyalty and something to respect. They are way less bandwagon and fair weather than a lot of other fan bases(looking at you Charger and Steeler fans), which leads to less people at the game who have no vested interest in the outcome.

People who go to games, but are not true fans of the teams playing are the dangerous ones as they are less attached to the game itself. They are more entertained by getting drunk and causing problems than watching the game. They are the kind of people who attack fans in parking lots after the game.

With that said, you don't need to like a team to enjoy a football game.

Mr. Pro Bowl
12-01-2012, 08:12 AM

way off??? I don't think so. I have lived in California for 30 years and attended plenty of Raiders games. Hey I just want our Broncos friend here to be safe and not put himself in a bad position on a night game in Oakland. Chances are that the Broncos will blow them out and he will be stuck at 11:00 pm at some Bart station wearing Broncos gear. I don't want to read about him in the newspaper the next day.

Philip Schwartz
12-01-2012, 08:52 AM
way off??? I don't think so. I have lived in California for 30 years and attended plenty of Raiders games. Hey I just want our Broncos friend here to be safe and not put himself in a bad position on a night game in Oakland. Chances are that the Broncos will blow them out and he will be stuck at 11:00 pm at some Bart station wearing Broncos gear. I don't want to read about him in the newspaper the next day.

I'm sure he was focusing on what happens at the game. I do agree that when you exit the stadium, you can find yourself in dangerous situations easily. Oakland is a rough town. No one would debate otherwise.

The key with any rough area is to be aware of your surroundings and understand how to protect yourself from being in dangerous situations. As long as you avoid doing things that could endanger yourself or others, you should be fine. There are people that go out of their way to do bad things, and sometimes you can't avoid them. It would be naive of anyone to assume that there aren't risks in going to a football game in notoriously dangerous city, but you shouldn't have to live in fear.

japfaff
12-01-2012, 10:55 PM

I also live in Calif. and I have been a season ticket holder for Oakland for over 10 years. I know what a game at the coliseum is like. No one wants to read about anyone geting rolled up and hurt over what they wear. But that can happen anywhere even a home game if you run across the wrong fans. You cant live you life in fear over what might happen. In all your Raider games in the past 30 years...How many incidents did you see or have happen to you? Cause mine is one. That was nothing more than a fist fight over him dumping a beer on my nephews head. But I have seen fights at nearly every stadium (including Investco). They are no big deal