PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Fined $250,000 For Resting Players

johnlimburg
12-01-2012, 04:08 AM
HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – There were very real consequences for the actions of San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich resting four players Thursday night in Miami, 250,000 of them to be exact.

The NBA fined the Spurs $250,000 this evening for sending Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green home before Thursday night’s 105-100 road loss to the Miami Heat.

Per the statement released by the league, “the Spurs’ actions were in violation of a league policy, reviewed with the NBA Board of Governors in April 2010, against resting players in a manner contrary to the best interests of the NBA.”

NBA Commissioner David Stern made clear his displeasure with the actions of Popovich Thursday night and then followed that up with the “substantial sanctions” he promised:

“The result here is dictated by the totality of the facts in this case. The Spurs decided to make four of their top players unavailable for an early-season game that was the team’s only regular-season visit to Miami. The team also did this without informing the Heat, the media, or the league office in a timely way. Under these circumstances, I have concluded that the Spurs did a disservice to the league and our fans.”

If you thought the hours after the game generated a heated debate about whether or not Popovich did right by his team, the fans and the game, you better believe the hefty fine handed down will be debated just as vigorously.

So, was penalty right on the money (sorry) or too harsh?

I personally think it's a joke. The players were rested because the team has long term goals in mind and the coach thought it would help the basketball team. This is a basketball competition before all else and a coach should be able to make whatever decision he wants.

EvertonBroncos
12-01-2012, 05:32 AM
It is ridiculous, something similar happened in the Premier League not long ago. What's the point in having a squad if you can't use it?

// / yardo
12-01-2012, 08:01 AM
I don't see a problem with it. It's not about "resting players", it's the manner in which they went about it. This is about the fans and the NBA as a product.

Rest players? Sure. But not all your top guys at once. There's still fans that pay to see two teams play some good basketball. People want to see the stars going against one another. If I had bought tickets and the day of the game the Spurrs say they're resting their team I'd be pretty disappointed.

And you can't say NFL teams do it every year. NFL teams rest players at the END of their season after they've secured a playoff spot and have some banged up players to contend with. Different scenario.

atwaterandstir
12-01-2012, 08:54 AM
The fine is absurd.....Im glad the Spurs did what they did. Popovich can and should rest his players when he feels neccesary. The NBA gave them an absurd stretch of games and the scheduling is the only reason Pop made the decision. As to the NFL comment, its really not a different scenario. The time of season really has no bearing- the bottom line is the same. I dont get a refund on my Broncos/Chiels tickets even though now its looking like there is a good chance starters may play only a series or two. When I got my tickets, I expected a down to the wire division race.

The real problem is the NBA has completely priced itself out for the casual fan, these "big" match-ups are all they can really promote. With some 2500+ highly overly priced games in a regular season they really need these "big" match-ups to (try and)justify the absurd price.

// / yardo
12-01-2012, 11:35 AM
What's absurd is resting PROFESSIONAL athletes and only a month into the season. This is their job right? They get paid a lot of money to play a game and be a marketable product of the NBA. They get paid a ton of money to be athletes and in-shape for a long season. There's no secret that the season is long. They don't just throw it out there midway through.

The whole idea of tanking a game because it doesn't matter in the long run is a joke and it's made the NBA a joke. If that's the idea then screw it let's just have playoffs. There's zero competitive value to the season. It's uninteresting, and I rather watch Duck Dynasty or something.

I just find it hilarious that people think David Stern is wrong here and Pop should be able to do what he wants with his players when he wants. Never mind that these guys represent a professional athletic association. Those poor poor tired athletes.

sbxxxiichamps
12-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Its absolutely 100% absurd that they got fined. Its their roster, their team they can do what they want. They're older players coming off a long stretch of games and needed rest because they have bigger important things to look forward to than a single game early in the season.

There is a reason the Spurs have been a dominant force this last decade. They know what they're doing.

If this didn't happen against the Heat I wonder if anyone would even be talking about this.

sbxxxiichamps
12-01-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't see a problem with it. It's not about "resting players", it's the manner in which they went about it. This is about the fans and the NBA as a product.

Rest players? Sure. But not all your top guys at once. There's still fans that pay to see two teams play some good basketball. People want to see the stars going against one another. If I had bought tickets and the day of the game the Spurrs say they're resting their team I'd be pretty disappointed.

And you can't say NFL teams do it every year. NFL teams rest players at the END of their season after they've secured a playoff spot and have some banged up players to contend with. Different scenario.

Thats what they got. As I recall the game was down to the wire and the Spurs almost won.

Thats the risk you have to accept as being a fan and going to the game. My friends last year, one is a Cavs fan and the other liked the Magic. They took an 8 hour trip to see them play and both Kyrie Irving and Dwight Howard weren't even playing. You just have to deal with that possibility.

atwaterandstir
12-01-2012, 01:25 PM
What's absurd is resting PROFESSIONAL athletes and only a month into the season. This is their job right? They get paid a lot of money to play a game and be a marketable product of the NBA. They get paid a ton of money to be athletes and in-shape for a long season. There's no secret that the season is long. They don't just throw it out there midway through.

The whole idea of tanking a game because it doesn't matter in the long run is a joke and it's made the NBA a joke. If that's the idea then screw it let's just have playoffs. There's zero competitive value to the season. It's uninteresting, and I rather watch Duck Dynasty or something.

I just find it hilarious that people think David Stern is wrong here and Pop should be able to do what he wants with his players when he wants. Never mind that these guys represent a professional athletic association. Those poor poor tired athletes.

Who said anything about tanking a game? And yes Popovich has every right to protect the interests of his players. Like it or not, he works for the best interest of the team. Sitting his players had very little effect on the competitiveness of the game, in fact the bench players almost pulled out a victory. And being PROFESSIONAL athletes is irrelevant, because he put a team on the floor that consisited of get this....PROFESSIONAL athletes. Nobody complains at the lack of superstars on the floor when Toronto takes on Washington.

The NBA goes through a long and watered down season and rest is inevitable, Popovich did nothing wrong- the match-up is the only reason anybody even cares. Resting players is nothing new, sure most of the time its in April in an attempt to get ready for the playoffs, but why is that any better? This is an older group of vets and rest is what they needed especially after an absurd run in their road schedule. Popovich doing this was viewed as a slap to the NBA only because he(thankfully) didnt try to use some injury excuse or other lame reason(like the NBA would have preferred). He simply felt his team could compete (and he was right) without some of his starters.

// / yardo
12-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Who said anything about tanking a game? And yes Popovich has every right to protect the interests of his players. Like it or not, he works for the best interest of the team. Sitting his players had very little effect on the competitiveness of the game, in fact the bench players almost pulled out a victory. And being PROFESSIONAL athletes is irrelevant, because he put a team on the floor that consisited of get this....PROFESSIONAL athletes. Nobody complains at the lack of superstars on the floor when Toronto takes on Washington.

The NBA goes through a long and watered down season and rest is inevitable, Popovich did nothing wrong- the match-up is the only reason anybody even cares. Resting players is nothing new, sure most of the time its in April in an attempt to get ready for the playoffs, but why is that any better? This is an older group of vets and rest is what they needed especially after an absurd run in their road schedule. Popovich doing this was viewed as a slap to the NBA only because he(thankfully) didnt try to use some injury excuse or other lame reason(like the NBA would have preferred). He simply felt his team could compete (and he was right) without some of his starters.

You're missing the point. It's not cause he rested players. It's the way he went about it. Rest one or two, not that big of a deal. Your four best star players against a marque championship team? Now that's a different story. And just like Pop has his teams interest to look after, Stern has the interest of the ENTIRE league and its overall brand to look after.

And all that close game did was leave to question "Well would they have won if they had waited to rest their players?"

And screw all that rest garbage. Where's the competitive spirit? If I'm playing the best team in the league I'm coming out with the best team I can put out there to beat 'em and make a statement. Then I'll rest my guys.

To me, what Pop did was a deliberate slap in the face to the league and the proof is the fine the Spurs received for it. You don't think it's a big deal? Well apparently the NBA feel $250,000 differently.

JakeNbake
12-01-2012, 03:38 PM
You cant tell a guy how to coach his team. This is why the NBA is and has been a joke

beastlyskronk
12-01-2012, 06:44 PM
You're missing the point. It's not cause he rested players. It's the way he went about it. Rest one or two, not that big of a deal. Your four best star players against a marque championship team? Now that's a different story. And just like Pop has his teams interest to look after, Stern has the interest of the ENTIRE league and its overall brand to look after.

And all that close game did was leave to question "Well would they have won if they had waited to rest their players?"

And screw all that rest garbage. Where's the competitive spirit? If I'm playing the best team in the league I'm coming out with the best team I can put out there to beat 'em and make a statement. Then I'll rest my guys.

To me, what Pop did was a deliberate slap in the face to the league and the proof is the fine the Spurs received for it. You don't think it's a big deal? Well apparently the NBA feel $250,000 differently.

Could it just be that Popovich also saw it was a great chance to check out his younger player against elite competition and develop his playoff lineup?

johnlimburg
12-01-2012, 07:28 PM
"What I do from my perspective is from a coaching perspective," Popovich said. "And I think the league operates from a business perspective. And I think that's reflective in the action that they took."

The decision underminds the sport of basketball and makes it more about business then the sport. And Popavic is not wrong for making a coaching decision. And he was resting them so he has a fresh team later in the season when it comes playoff time.

The NBA is mad because it was a primetime game and they were insulted. I thought it was funny and of course the league seen it differently. They are all about the money. The coaches are all about what they feel gives them the best chance at having success. And a coach should be allowed to make them calls.

The Experience
12-01-2012, 08:02 PM
David Stern is despot. That simple.

Popovich shouldn't give a damn about NBA ratings and money or what have you. He is trying to win a championship with one of the oldest teams in the NBA.

I can't wait until Stern is out of office.

nic.zeman24
12-01-2012, 09:19 PM

He didnt rest only 1 or 2 because he is trying to keep the chemistry intact. He wants the back ups playing with the back ups and vice versa

JayJack
12-01-2012, 09:41 PM
I understand both sides, but as a fan, i'd be very upset. I know football is different from basketball, but this is how I view the situation. I'm a diehard Broncos fan that lives in Florida. I've never been to a Broncos game in Denver, and i'm not sure that I ever will, so when my favorite team comes to town, i'm excited about seeing them play, and I want to see everybody play if possible.

I don't want to hear that Manning and Champ are not playing because of rest. This is my only time to see them play! The next time Denver comes to Jax, they may be retired. So that's why I don't like what the Spurs did.

atwaterandstir
12-02-2012, 09:00 AM

No, Im not missing the point. Bottom line is Popovich made a coaching decision and the NBA wants to step in. The rest is all just non-sense. The Spurs are coached by Popovich, not the league. The league acts as if the "fans" best interest is what was the issue, but its clear (by ticket prices, inferior product, and a watered down season) that the league does not actually care about the fans. Taking away one of the very few "key match-ups" in their absurd 2500+ game regular season schedule hurts the leagues already poor image.

Was it a bit unfair to the fans?? Sure it was.... but so is charging the kind of money it costs to watch the rest of the garbage they call the regular season. This boils down to 2500+ garbage games with a decent one sprinkled in here and there, If they were really concerned the league would consolidate and become competitive again. If the league were actually competitive, then its a non issue. The league knows its product is failing and they are living off of a small list of teams' success. A Mia/SA matchup is one of about 5 or 6 match-ups anybody even cares about anymore. Thats the league and the owners issue, not the fans. We are here waiting to jump back in as fans, they need to give us more than a handful of match-ups as a reason.

Spice 1
12-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Hey Stern, wake me up when they figure out who's gunna play the Heat in the Finals. thx.