PDA

View Full Version : Lombardi hired as Brown's "GM"

db1978
01-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Michael Lombardi hired as VP of player personnel, essentially filling the vacant GM position.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000128003/article/michael-lombardi-joins-cleveland-browns-front-office

The NFL Network is losing an analyst, and the Cleveland Browns are gaining a personnel executive.

The Browns announced Friday that Michael Lombardi is the team's new vice president of player personnel. A press conference is scheduled for Friday morning.

Lombardi, who worked with Bill Belichick in Cleveland during the '90s, has a history with Browns CEO Joe Banner from their time together in Philadelphia. Lombardi also worked for Al Davis and the Raiders from 1999 to 2007. Lombardi has been in the media since then, first with the National Football Post and then full-time with NFL Network and NFL.com.

The Browns were expected to hire a general manager, and it sounds like Lombardi will essentially fill those responsibilities with a different title. Banner also might have some input, along with coach Rob Chudzinski. It will be interesting to hear at Friday's news conference who has "final say" on the roster.

This is the type of transaction that Lombardi is used to talking about on NFL Network. Now he'll be the one answering questions at a press conference.

We wish Michael all the best in his new gig.

-Rod-
01-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Someone made a great comment on ProFootballTalk:

"Memo to Browns new owner: When you tell fans it’s your goal to bring a Lombardi to Cleveland, this isn’t what they were expecting."

Frenchy180
01-18-2013, 10:19 AM

"Memo to Browns new owner: When you tell fans it’s your goal to bring a Lombardi to Cleveland, this isn’t what they were expecting."

I just laughed entirely too hard at that... :laugh:

db1978
01-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Though it may be the closest they get for awhile.

#24 Next Champ
01-18-2013, 11:20 AM
He is a clown, bad move IMO, guy constantly talks about stuff as if he knows what he's talking about when he absolutely doesn't and makes stupid comments

I use to like Lombardi until he kept doing this repetitively

jaytea11
01-18-2013, 12:56 PM
He is a clown, bad move IMO, guy constantly talks about stuff as if he knows what he's talking about when he absolutely doesn't and makes stupid comments

Beggers can't be choosers. :D

jaytea11
01-18-2013, 12:57 PM
I thought this guy was delegated to simply doing fantasy projections.

one5beast
01-18-2013, 12:58 PM
lol. didnt he hate the Weeden selection?

Bye Bye Weeden

InsaneBlaze23
01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
lol. didnt he hate the Weeden selection?

Bye Bye Weeden

Yes, he actually told the media he will "evaluate" Weeden. Wouldn't surprise if the Browns draft another QB and continue to not give their young QB's a chance.

Charlie Brown hate for this in T-minus 10....

Charlie Brown
01-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Well, there it is.

The man that drove Kosar into the mud. The man that prepared the team for Baltimore.

The slimeball that I vowed I would never never care to hear from. It`s done.

Resignation is all I feel. He`s just there to prep the team for the next move - to LA.

Haslam heard all the fans against it. He didn`t care. I hope LA loves what they get. I`m done fighting.

#24 Next Champ
01-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Just when you think it can't be any worse of a move...

Charlie

broncos SB2010
01-18-2013, 02:11 PM

You are so wrong it's not even funny. Lombardi is right way more often than he is wrong. If he had been there last year they wouldn't have drafted Weeden and set themselves back even more than already were. He will be a very good asset to the Browns. wait and see.

broncos SB2010
01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Yes, he actually told the media he will "evaluate" Weeden. Wouldn't surprise if the Browns draft another QB and continue to not give their young QB's a chance.

Charlie Brown hate for this in T-minus 10....

No they won't. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mccoy start next year though.

theMileHighGuy
01-18-2013, 02:15 PM
YES!!! He's finally off NFL network! Way to go Browns :D

:clap:

Charlie Brown
01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Just when you think it can't be any worse of a move...

Charlie

This man helped destroy the Browns and has destroyed every team he has touched.

Tommy Vardell was Lombardi. Andre Rison was Lombardi and Modell. He refused to build the O-line around Kosar. He also brought the amazing JaMarcus Russell to Oakland.

He is a huge critic of Weeden, Gordon, Richardson, Schwartz, and the entire Browns draft selections last year. He is the same man who praised Blaine Gabbert while condemning all of the above.

This move makes Cleveland the worst franchise in the league from the owner`s box to the players on the field. It is a joke and will become even more of a joke now.

But, no fear, LA is calling. They`ll get their team soon enough.

#24 Next Champ
01-18-2013, 03:07 PM
You are so wrong it's not even funny. Lombardi is right way more often than he is wrong. If he had been there last year they wouldn't have drafted Weeden and set themselves back even more than already were. He will be a very good asset to the Browns. wait and see.

I've seen him multiple times make comments that were wildly inaccurate, like really bad

Anyone with half a brain wouldn't have drafted Weeden

db1978
01-18-2013, 03:27 PM
I've seen him multiple times make comments that were wildly inaccurate, like really bad

Anyone with half a brain wouldn't have drafted Weeden

At least, not in the first round. I'm sure he would have gone somewhere and probably filled a need for a team, maybe as a backup for a running QB like Kaepernick or someone injury prone.

InsaneBlaze23
01-18-2013, 03:34 PM
No they won't. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mccoy start next year though.

Do you work in the Browns organization to say they won't? In terms of this thread and the people speaking in it. The odds are the same on rather they draft a QB or not.

Charlie Brown
01-18-2013, 05:00 PM
The NFL hates Cleveland and wants to see it destroyed.

First they allow Modell to destroy the team (only two owners were against it).

Second, they allow Modell 2.0 to purchase the Browns (unanimous)

Third, they allow Modell 2.0 to sell the naming rights to the stadium (to increase profits)

Fourth, they allow Modell 2.0 to fire the only good general manager the team has had since Accorsi left in 1990.

Fifth, they allow Modell 2.0 to destroy the Browns tradition by eliminating the jersey (upcoming) and to convert the stadium into a dome (upcoming).

Sixth, they allow Modell 2.0 to hire Lombardi, the man who single handedly destroyed Kosar's career, the same man who helped prepare the team for Baltimore.

Now what will the NFL do? Well, isn't it obvious? Modell among 15 finalists for Hall of Fame (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/70265/modell-among-15-finalists-for-hall-of-fame)

InsaneBlaze23
01-18-2013, 05:08 PM

Third, they allow Modell 2.0 to sell the naming rights to the stadium (to increase profits)

Fourth, they allow Modell 2.0 to fire the only good general manager the team has had since Accorsi left in 1990.

Fifth, they allow Modell 2.0 to destroy the Browns tradition by eliminating the jersey (upcoming) and to convert the stadium into a dome (upcoming).

Sixth, they allow Modell 2.0 to hire Lombardi, the man who single handedly destroyed Kosar's career, the same man who helped prepare the team for Baltimore.

Now what will the NFL do? Well, isn't it obvious? Modell among 15 finalists for Hall of Fame (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/70265/modell-among-15-finalists-for-hall-of-fame)

I do think it's funny how someone who was involved with the team moving is now back with the team.
When I saw the Hall Of Fame finalist list, I thought to myself; Fuel for Charlie Brown.

one5beast
01-18-2013, 07:17 PM
if I were a Browns fan I would be very happy with the coaches hired.

Norv Turner at OC and Ray Horton one of the best DCs in the NFL joining the staff. But the only downside is they might leave next season. or at least Horton would.

BroncoFanBoy
01-18-2013, 08:09 PM

They thought they were bringing a Lombardi to Cleveland. Wrong Lombardi.

broncos SB2010
01-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Do you work in the Browns organization to say they won't? In terms of this thread and the people speaking in it. The odds are the same on rather they draft a QB or not.

Nope. I don't work for them. However, I am smart enough to know that I don't think they draft a 3rd projected starting QB in 4 years, especially with such a weak QB class and the potential to be switching to a 3-4 defense. Lombardi will want to build the team and try to develop the QBs he has before taking another QB high.

I think they will target a DE, OLB, or WR in the 1st round. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after Jarvis Jones in the first round and Terrance Williams in the 2nd.

broncos SB2010
01-18-2013, 08:12 PM
if I were a Browns fan I would be very happy with the coaches hired.

Norv Turner at OC and Ray Horton one of the best DCs in the NFL joining the staff. But the only downside is they might leave next season. or at least Horton would.

I agree. I'm not a big fan of Norv but they are making positive strides, imo.

Atwnbroncfan
01-18-2013, 08:18 PM
This is the same guy that ripped us for firing McD

#24 Next Champ
01-18-2013, 08:19 PM
I really do (or would if I'm a Browns fan), like their coaching hires, I will say that

InsaneBlaze23
01-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Nope. I don't work for them. However, I am smart enough to know that I don't think they draft a 3rd projected starting QB in 4 years, especially with such a weak QB class and the potential to be switching to a 3-4 defense. Lombardi will want to build the team and try to develop the QBs he has before taking another QB high.

I think they will target a DE, OLB, or WR in the 1st round. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after Jarvis Jones in the first round and Terrance Williams in the 2nd.

Did I say take a QB high? I said I wont be surprised if they draft a QB. Originally that was a joke to stab at Browns never letting the team grow around the QB, But now I do actually think they will draft a QB somewhere in the draft. Where? Who cares, but I like the odds of them taken one.

How do you know what Lombardi will want? Do you live in his mind? It's known that he doesn't/didn't agree with the Weeden pick. He told the media when asked today about Weeden that he'd evaluate him. Doesn't mean Weeden will be gone, but it also doesn't mean Weeden will start next season. He might/should work with McCoy, Johnson and Lewis aren't guaranteed to be on the team next season.

roushmartin6
01-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Sorry for the Brown fans but I'm glad this clown is off TV