PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady Slide

notwithit
01-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Video at this link.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/tom_brady_slides_with_cleats_high/12711163

Think brady did it on purpose? Man I'd like to think he didn't but.... wow... In soccer that's an automatic ejection.

LSIGRAD09
01-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Yes. Everybody puts a guy on the pedestal. He was trying to deck Reed. Scum move.

(In my biased eyes)

johnlimburg
01-20-2013, 11:31 PM
He should 100% be fined for that. $7500 would be a good amout. Not many people do but if you read the fines that get handed to defensive players every week for little contact on quarterbacks you would just shake your head. The league doesn't care though about the defensive players. However that contact or attempted contact should be viewed the same as when a defender gets pushed and stumbles into a quarterbacks leg and they get fined.

bears6385
01-21-2013, 08:47 AM
He should 100% be fined for that. $7500 would be a good amout. Not many people do but if you read the fines that get handed to defensive players every week for little contact on quarterbacks you would just shake your head. The league doesn't care though about the defensive players. However that contact or attempted contact should be viewed the same as when a defender gets pushed and stumbles into a quarterbacks leg and they get fined.I agree with evrything you said, and lets take it a little further..............Running backs should also be fined for lowering their heads and using their helments as a battering ram. AP does this all the time, and sometimes he even gets the refs to give the defensive guy a helment to helment call.

berlownacyo7s
01-21-2013, 08:49 AM
If Suh did a slide like that the NFL "experts" on TV would be calling for a suspension. Now I don't think Brady should get that, but he should get fined. He clearly was trying to drop kick the heck out of Reed's leg/knee.

CanDB
01-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Fine 'im big.......

It was obvious, and to a degree - premeditated.

Thors Hammer
01-21-2013, 09:03 AM
I agree with evrything you said, and lets take it a little further..............Running backs should also be fined for lowering their heads and using their helments as a battering ram. AP does this all the time, and sometimes he even gets the refs to give the defensive guy a helment to helment call.

Steven Ridley got knocked out of that game for lowering his head before contact. Glad to see the refs didn't throw a flag for the Pollard hit.

#24 Next Champ
01-21-2013, 09:18 AM
I agree with evrything you said, and lets take it a little further..............Running backs should also be fined for lowering their heads and using their helments as a battering ram. AP does this all the time, and sometimes he even gets the refs to give the defensive guy a helment to helment call.

No he doesn't because a runner cannot receive a helmet to helmet call

Why must people make things up..?

I agree with what you said (it's known as spearing in lower levels of football and is a flag) but don't add on fiction

HurricaneDovs
01-21-2013, 09:46 AM
He knew what he was doing. Staring right at Reed while driving his foot up when most qbs slide in like a baseball player into a base.

Cheap move by Golden Boy.

100%Broncoholic
01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Folks, just a reminder that right now this is a good conversation, and please me mindful of the Code of Conduct.

To weigh in, it absolutely was a move to injure .

Brady a normal slide...
http://thenewsportsguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Tom+Brady+Buffalo+Bills+v+New+England+Patriots+JQO 6M8UQ8jll.png

Slide last night...

http://www.yardbarker.com/media/2/f/2f961a71c78d4835ef13181e082eba0579a169ed/xl/tom-brady-slide-ed-reed-1.jpg
Brady last night

SBboundBRONCOS
01-21-2013, 11:44 AM

I agree with what you said (it's known as spearing in lower levels of football and is a flag) but don't add on fiction

was about to say this same thing but you beat me too it.

ive come to the conclusion that most football fans dont know the rules that well ... it cracks me up

GoManning
01-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Dirty scum. He knew what he was doing.

http://i.minus.com/iTc57fUZV5Wnz.gif

GoManning
01-21-2013, 12:54 PM
In another play, he didn't try to run for 4 or 5 yards for the first down although the defensive player was fat and slow. Brady had room to run too and I'm sure he could have outrun him.

He was playing scared or soft.

elway93
01-21-2013, 02:46 PM
This is what I hate about the NFL's new "Player Safety" rules. They do a good job protecting offensive players, but there are no rules against offensive players taking cheap shots or initiating hits that would be illegal for a defender. Whether it was Brady sliding while also trying some kung fu kick to an opponents knee to the Pat's running back that lowered his head to spear a defender and ended up knocking himself out of the game. If the NFL is serious about their whole "Player Safety" thing, they need to protect defensive players just like they do offensive players.

samparnell
01-21-2013, 02:50 PM
That Suhks!

Bernie24
01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
This is football. How is sticking your foot out to hit somebody as you fall down illegal?

I hate Brady but I found this kind of comical.

elway93
01-21-2013, 02:56 PM
In other news, I haven't heard anyone questioning Brady's legacy the way they've spent the last couple weeks questioning Peyton's. I just think it's ridiculous that Brady is considered one of the all time great playoff performers because he's won three Super Bowls when he wasn't being asked to carry the team and wasn't playing like an elite QB. Since those three Super Bowls he won he's what, 8-7 in playoff games? If Peyton had played his career with the Patriots and Brady with the Colts, I think the Super Bowl total would be reversed, if not Peyton winning maybe even 4 and Brady winning none with the Colts.

elway93
01-21-2013, 02:57 PM
This is football. How is sticking your foot out to hit somebody as you fall down illegal?

There is a penalty for tripping, if you stick out a leg to trip an opposing player. One would think that kicking a leg up to take out an opponents knee would fall into that category if not outright unnecessary roughness.

JPPT1974
01-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Looks like he did that on purpose! As how much will he be fined, remains to be seen!

SBboundBRONCOS
01-21-2013, 03:09 PM

.... because its unnecessary roughness. once that QB starts sliding play is over, dead, finished, players arent allowed to hit him, why should him aiming for the knee with his football not be a illegal?

please bernie ...

SBboundBRONCOS
01-21-2013, 03:11 PM
if thats not on purpose, im Cleopatra

notwithit
01-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Interesting conversation so far and thank you guys for responding.. I suppose this is my soccer background talking and blah blah soccers for wusses but as a person who slide tackled for my sport.... I could tell you that at least my personal experience is that your body naturally wants to keep your feet lower to the ground and you have to push one leg up to get it up there.. It also freaking hurts when you try to keep your leg straight like he did..

Seems dirty to me. And as much as I don't like dirty play and wish he wasn't doing things like this.. It very well could be a fine and as some argued should not be allowed with all of the extra protections in place for everything else.

GoManning
01-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Just dirty
http://i.minus.com/ibqFwFo47RWQFq.gif
http://i.minus.com/ihBnSwZijhuEb.gif

http://i.minus.com/i1vsUdxz7f3iV.gif

CoryWinget81
01-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Just dirty
http://i.minus.com/ibqFwFo47RWQFq.gif
http://i.minus.com/ihBnSwZijhuEb.gif

http://i.minus.com/i1vsUdxz7f3iV.gif

poor wally. :(

Andyy_47
01-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Dirtbag move. Not surprised though. When things don't go Golden Boy's way he just takes temper tantrums.

EddieMac
01-21-2013, 05:12 PM
I look it as deliberate but more of a wimpy turtle move. ooooo Ed Reed don't tackle me or I'll kick you.

Still lousy and weak!

-Rod-
01-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Reminded me of Mortal Kombat.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m28uyqjnYU1r03eaxo1_500.gif

http://spc.fotolog.com/photo/12/45/112/roddoliver/1358813253609_f.jpg

bears6385
01-21-2013, 05:23 PM

I agree with what you said (it's known as spearing in lower levels of football and is a flag) but don't add on fictionHere is the NFL's unnecessary roughness rule pertaining to helment to helment contact. Rule 12, section 2, article 6.

(h) Using any part of a players helment(including the top/crown and forhead/"hairline parts") or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently, or unnessarily. Nowhere does this say that helment to helment can't be called on an offensive player. Just because it has never been called does not mean an offensive player cannot be called for helment to helment contact. By rules he could, and from what I understand the NFL will be looking into this in March.

As for AP I will give you two examples of him using his helment as a weapon. 1) in a game against the Steelers AP lowers his head and hits William Gay in the open field with the crown of his helment gaining an extra 20 yds. 2) Last year against the Packers he lowers his head and and hits Morgan Burnett in the jaw.

bears6385
01-21-2013, 05:26 PM
was about to say this same thing but you beat me too it.

ive come to the conclusion that most football fans dont know the rules that well ... it cracks me upSee above.

CanDB
01-21-2013, 09:16 PM
In another play, he didn't try to run for 4 or 5 yards for the first down although the defensive player was fat and slow. Brady had room to run too and I'm sure he could have outrun him.

That was a key play in the game. He should have easily beaten Ngati....if not, he's incredibly slow!!!

Louich
01-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Folks, just a reminder that right now this is a good conversation, and please me mindful of the Code of Conduct.

To weigh in, it absolutely was a move to injure .

Brady a normal slide...
http://thenewsportsguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Tom+Brady+Buffalo+Bills+v+New+England+Patriots+JQO 6M8UQ8jll.png

Slide last night...

http://www.yardbarker.com/media/2/f/2f961a71c78d4835ef13181e082eba0579a169ed/xl/tom-brady-slide-ed-reed-1.jpg
Brady last night

Next time is there a way to edit my post instead of deleteing it ?

So I'll rewrite the post :

What do you expect from a payer who learned everything form Bellichek?

Brady takes every advanatge he know he can get because he's the qb. An other perfect example is the run behind the ref. He clearly choose to ref because he knew the defensive player could not hit the rref to tackle him. Legal ? yes to an extent...Clean and in the spirit if the game ? I highly doubt.

Now he probably got a ataboy from the coach when he got to the side line after the play.

Fell free to delete this post if there is an other subtility I did not understand when I posted

SBboundBRONCOS
01-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Here is the NFL's unnecessary roughness rule pertaining to helment to helment contact. Rule 12, section 2, article 6.

(h) Using any part of a players helment(including the top/crown and forhead/"hairline parts") or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently, or unnessarily. Nowhere does this say that helment to helment can't be called on an offensive player. Just because it has never been called does not mean an offensive player cannot be called for helment to helment contact. By rules he could, and from what I understand the NFL will be looking into this in March.

As for AP I will give you two examples of him using his helment as a weapon. 1) in a game against the Steelers AP lowers his head and hits William Gay in the open field with the crown of his helment gaining an extra 20 yds. 2) Last year against the Packers he lowers his head and and hits Morgan Burnett in the jaw.

you are not correct, there has NEVER been a helmet to helmet called on the defense for this nor will there ever be one called on AP

unless it is spearing

HavoK471
01-22-2013, 01:53 PM

Brady ran one of the slowest 40 times in the combine and he had Ngata near him. Most QBs make that run, Brady v Ngata I doubt he would have gotten anywhere

GoManning
01-22-2013, 06:11 PM
NFL officials are reviewing a slide by New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during the AFC Championship Game in which he appeared to make a kicking motion directed at Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed, according to an ESPN.com report.

Brady slid after a scramble in the final minute of the first half. One leg was raised and hit Reed, who wasn't hurt. Ravens safety Bernard Pollard called Brady out and said he should be fined.

He told reporters, "If you want to keep this going in the right direction, everyone should be penalized for their actions."

Reed said Tuesday that Brady apologized to him.

"You know, I understand Brady's point," Reed told WJZ-FM. "Him protecting himself. I know he's a great player. I respect Brady and his game for all it stands for, and I know he's not a dirty player. And emotions get going in the game.

"He actually reached out to me, texted me. I tried to text him back, but the message exploded after 12 seconds, so I had to call him. He just apologized and what not. But I told him, 'You know, it's good, man.'"
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-reviewing-brady-slide-170005087--nfl.html?nopharma=1

#24 Next Champ
01-22-2013, 07:04 PM
you are not correct, there has NEVER been a helmet to helmet called on the defense for this nor will there ever be one called on AP

unless it is spearing

This time you beat me to it and also what he posted really has nothing to do with what I said

Hadez
01-22-2013, 07:22 PM

unless it is spearing

Just curious why are you so sure this has "never" happened? Because he is a RB or because you have watched every play of AP's career? I have seen a Cincy offensive player cause a Helmet to Helmet hit by lowering his head and getting the penalty called on the defense...though he was not doing it on purpose like was suggested at the start of this conversation. I think (as far as I know no one asked the dude about it) he was just shying away from the hit and by lowering his head he caused a helmet to helmet hit. This can happen from what I have seen...but I have not watched every play of AP's career so I do not know if it did or not.

Anyways offensive players are allowed to get away with murder. I have seen RBs straight grab a facemask on a stiffarm and not get a penalty. RBs lower their head all the time and ram it into defenders. So do some TEs and WRs. Never have I seen a penalty on the offense in any of these situations.

The NFL is definately favoring protection of offensive players with the way it currently enforces the rules and anyone who says otherwise is just plain wrong.

SBboundBRONCOS
01-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Just curious why are you so sure this has "never" happened? Because he is a RB or because you have watched every play of AP's career? I have seen a Cincy offensive player cause a Helmet to Helmet hit by lowering his head and getting the penalty called on the defense...though he was not doing it on purpose like was suggested at the start of this conversation. I think (as far as I know no one asked the dude about it) he was just shying away from the hit and by lowering his head he caused a helmet to helmet hit. This can happen from what I have seen...but I have not watched every play of AP's career so I do not know if it did or not.

Anyways offensive players are allowed to get away with murder. I have seen RBs straight grab a facemask on a stiffarm and not get a penalty. RBs lower their head all the time and ram it into defenders. So do some TEs and WRs. Never have I seen a penalty on the offense in any of these situations.

The NFL is definately favoring protection of offensive players with the way it currently enforces the rules and anyone who says otherwise is just plain wrong.

you cant get helmet to helmet when the player turns into a runner (ie: not defenseless, or a QB) unless that defensive player is spearing ... that is leading with the helmet,

and unless someone can show me a way to tackle that doesn't usually involve hitting with your head first, but its not physically possible. nearly every play in the NFL has helmet to helmet contact on it

"Whitner was not penalized because the tackle was not against a defenseless player. Helmet-to-helmet hits are outlawed against eight categories considered defenseless players, and a runner is not one of those categories.
Thomas was considered a runner because he had made a catch, turned and made a "football move" before being hit.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/nfl-notebook-helmet-to-helmet-hit-was-legal-217754/#ixzz2IpQugkqP"

Freyaka
01-23-2013, 12:52 PM

You should re-read his post clearly you didn't read it correctly... He's saying the he lowers his head and the defender (not AP) gets the call... offensive players have started doing that a lot since they toughned up the rules I've noticed it all year and it's lame...If the offensive player lowers their head they should get flagged or it's fair game for the defender to do the same...Can't penilize one side and not the other.

SBboundBRONCOS
01-23-2013, 12:53 PM
You should re-read his post clearly you didn't read it correctly... He's saying the he lowers his head and the defender (not AP) gets the call... offensive players have started doing that a lot since they toughned up the rules I've noticed it all year and it's lame...If the offensive player lowers their head they should get flagged or it's fair game for the defender to do the same...Can't penilize one side and not the other.

they dont get penalized though .... thats the problem with his post

#24 Next Champ
01-23-2013, 03:47 PM

RECEIVERS can have that happen, yes, because they're receiving the ball and then they immediately duck their head

HIS ORIGINAL POST said "AP does this all the time, and sometimes he even gets the refs to give the defensive guy a helment to helment call"

That is simply not true, because RUNNERS cannot have that happen, (unless they are receiving), my point was that his statement was false, which it is...AP has never caused a helmet to helmet call against a defensive player as an RB....soo what should I read more carefully?

His last post had nothing to do with me letting him know AP has never caused a penalty on a D player for helmet to helmet hit

GoManning
01-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Tom Brady fined $10K by NFL for sliding into Ed Reed

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130400/article/tom-brady-fined-10k-by-nfl-for-sliding-into-ed-reed

While Frank Gore was fined $10,500 for wearing his socks too low. :confused:

HavoK471
01-23-2013, 09:30 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130400/article/tom-brady-fined-10k-by-nfl-for-sliding-into-ed-reed

Second offense for Gore, first for Brady

However, the real issue with those numbers is the insane amount for socks being too low not the Brady numbers

SBboundBRONCOS
01-24-2013, 09:14 AM

ya its ridiculous ...

broncoslover115
01-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Tom the Golden Boy only gets fined 10K. If it were a defensive player....suspension

HavoK471
01-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Tom the Golden Boy only gets fined 10K. If it were a defensive player....suspension

For a first offense? Doubt it

Bronco_Armada
01-29-2013, 08:01 AM
With all the outrage on dangerous hits on QBs, WRs, RBs getting attention, where is the initiative to protect defensive players Mr. Goodell?

SBboundBRONCOS
01-29-2013, 08:30 AM
With all the outrage on dangerous hits on QBs, WRs, RBs getting attention, where is the initiative to protect defensive players Mr. Goodell?

while i think it was a dirty play i dont think it was all that malicious, it was also bradys first time with anything even questionable, and lets be honest it was pretty questionable. not to mention he called him up after the game and apologized.

this wasnt the ndumukong stomp or kick to the groin; both of which gave 30k fines, or the albert head stomp.

i think the penalty fit the crime

Denver Mike
01-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that it could have been an accident?

Sorry but I've seen it over and over again from multiple angles.. it looks like a failed slide in which he held his leg up defensively.. He saw Ed Reed coming full speed. And Reed hits are a thing on the field. He knows that its gonna hurt.. Brady is not RG3, or Newton, or Vick. He's not naturally one to tuck and run. He instinctually lifted a leg to defend himself

The extra nudge if you watch closely wasn't a nudge at all.. his cleat got caught onto Reed's pants..

Tom Brady is not known to play dirty, or be anything less than classy..He's arrogant and very very cocky.. but he's no Ndamukong Suh