PDA

View Full Version : Joe Flacco Ain't Bad!

CanDB
01-20-2013, 09:35 PM
The argument never seems to go away....whether or not Joe Flacco is an "elite" QB. One thing is for sure however, this guy is solid in the playoffs, and he just broke a record for most playoff road victories. He's now 6 and 4, one better than Eli Manning.

Now lets be clear, you can't win a lot of road playoff games if you are a high seed, which is the territory of Brady and others. But still, winning games on the road, in the playoffs, means you are facing tougher odds. And in my books, Flacco played good enough last year to beat New England in the AFC Final.....if so, he's 7 and 3 in the playoffs (on the road), and now going into his second straight SB. That would be pretty impressive!

Listen, I am not a big Flacco fan, but he did make a lot of key plays this year when needed most, and today he again outplayed Brady on New England soil. And last week, I kept expecting him to mess up.....and he really didn't. In fact, he caught my attention, and never seemed to let it be.

Anyway.....hats off to the dude. Baltimore isn't just about D anymore (although they played a solid game today). Joe Flacco deserves a ton of credit for his persistence and yes, talent.

jcdavey
01-20-2013, 09:54 PM
flacco had a real nice game in ne in the last playoffs too

flacco is definitely playing some very good football, he's got some good targets too

broncoFan!
01-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Flacco is basically Trent Dilfer or Eli Manning, however you look at it. :P

Very good solid franchise QB to build around though. I'm interested to see how he will play against the 49ers though. They have a hard-hitting defense.

LSIGRAD09
01-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Hate to say it, Flacco deserved the SB appearance. In my eyes. He's made it to the dance for years. Too bad that we lost, but Flacco can play when it counts. He balls hard.

Peanut
01-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Am I allowed to disagree?

I'll check back later for the answer. :D

db1978
01-21-2013, 12:01 AM
I'll disagree....he only looks good when the has no pressure on him. Kudos to him for making the throws, but when was the last time he came up aces with consistent pressure from a pass rush.

bears6385
01-21-2013, 08:37 AM
I'll disagree....he only looks good when the has no pressure on him. Kudos to him for making the throws, but when was the last time he came up aces with consistent pressure from a pass rush.Hell even Brady has trouble with consistant pressure from a pass rush, i.e. last years Super Bowl.

As for "elite" WHO CARES Flacco is the hot QB on the hot team that will win the Super Bowl this year and bring it back to the AFC.

CanDB
01-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Am I allowed to disagree?

I'll check back later for the answer. :D

I'll disagree....he only looks good when the has no pressure on him. Kudos to him for making the throws, but when was the last time he came up aces with consistent pressure from a pass rush.

Well......lets agree to disagree. The knock on many QBs is their inability to win in the playoffs. That's pressure time. In my books Flacco's record in the playoffs has been stellar. I don't care if he had a great D or just a good D, he had a lot to do with the Ravens success when the games get big. He has played at least 2 playoff games every year he has been in the league, which means he has been involved with at least one win each year. Last year he outplayed Brady for the AFC Final, and threw what should have been the game winning pass, had his receiver held on to it. This year he won three games, and has a great passer rating to back up his work. Beating Luck is one thing, but to go on the road and beat Manning and Brady is really good stuff!

He helped get his team to The Dance, and if they win, his stock will rise some more.

I didn't say he was "elite", but he might just be after his next game.

Spice 1
01-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Flacco is basically Trent Dilfer or Eli Manning, however you look at it. :P

Very good solid franchise QB to build around though. I'm interested to see how he will play against the 49ers though. They have a hard-hitting defense.

I'd say he's somewhere between the two.

He's not just a game manager, because he can make big throws without having to worry about him turning the ball over. I think he's a good quarterback, but I'm not going to say he's a great one. He misses big on a lot of throws, and he's not seeing very much pressure. He's got a great arm, but his accuracy downfield isn't all that great when you compare him to guys like Eli. Bolden and Smith have been making stupid catches in the playoffs so far as well. When you can throw a jump ball into coverage and have a high completion rate, that says as much about the receiver as the QB.

The road playoff victory numbers really don't impress me all that much. Mark Sanchez was also on that list. I think the best thing that can be said about Flacco, is that he's clutch. He makes very good decisions with the football, and he can make big time throws downfield.

BroncoFanBoy
01-21-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm not gonna call him great, but he deserves to be in the Super Bowl. He's played great football the last few weeks.

Andyy_47
01-21-2013, 10:51 AM
It's really hard not to say he's playing terrific this playoff run. I wonder why he can't do it in the regular season however, he got out duelled by Chaz Batch for crying out loud.

He elevates the play of that offense, as soon as they put the ball in his hands that team just clicks. I also love his attitude. He was asked (stupidly) if the spirit of Ray Lewis is out there on offense when they take the field. He said no, we just run the plays called. This is his team now and he has taken it upon his shoulders. It's a fun maturation process we're witnessing. When Rays gone, this is Joe's team.

BroncoFanNC
01-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Very Eli Manning like...

Peanut
01-21-2013, 11:25 AM

This is pretty much what I was going to say. I wonder how good he would be if that O-line was taken away? Sometimes I just think that Flacco gets misplaced credit that should go to the O-line. When he gets pressured, he's not that accurate. Yes, that applies to a lot of QBs.

I didn't know if this was a "Flacco is good" only thread or if opposing views were welcomed. That's why I asked.

It will be interesting to see how the O-line and Flacco handle SF's D. :D

CanDB
01-21-2013, 11:58 AM
This is pretty much what I was going to say. I wonder how good he would be if that O-line was taken away? Sometimes I just think that Flacco gets misplaced credit that should go to the O-line. When he gets pressured, he's not that accurate. Yes, that applies to a lot of QBs.

I didn't know if this was a "Flacco is good" only thread or if opposing views were welcomed. That's why I asked.

It will be interesting to see how the O-line and Flacco handle SF's D. :D

Given your role, I think you know that agreeing with the OP is not the norm around here;). I welcome opposing views. I clearly believe what I believe, but am open to disagreement and if nothing else, different perspectives.

I don't know how folks don't buy in to a guy who's won at least one playoff game every year of his career. Like I have already said......he should have been in last year's SB, outplaying Brady in New England, and he has been incredible in the playoffs this year, just under 115 passer rating against three teams - two of them The Ravens were not supposed to beat.

There are a lot of QBs who play well in the regular season but don't deliver at the most crucial times. I think Flacco has some Big Ben fan feelings.....no matter how many big games they win, they just aren't appreciated for their play. And this coming from a guy who doesn't pull for Flacco.

As for some other folks' comments.....don't compare him to Sanchez re: playoffs. Sanchez was good for a while. He's dropped off since. As for Eli.....well, that's a compliment. Winning 2 SBs puts you in a special class. If Flacco wins one, he too is in a special class. I don't know, The Ravens are underdogs again....hmmm.

bronx_2003
01-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Flacco is definetly not elite.

Elite QB's show up every week and have done that for 3-4 seasons plus.

Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Bree's are a long way ahead of anyone else IMO.

Eli was creeping up there but was again his inconsistant self this year.

Flacco has too many up and down weeks IMO. To his credit he has played pretty well in the playoffs, but I still think the hail mary at the end of our game should of been an easy pick. He throws it up a mile into double coverage and we make an awful mistake.

Against the Pats he struggled in the first half but the D kept him in the game. He picked it up in the second.

I HATE QB's being just judged on W-L's. We didn't lose because of PM. He did enough IMO. We lost because of our D.

The Ravens IMO will be favorites in the SB and will win.

If Flacco can be consistenty good next season then he could be moved up to elite.

Spice 1
01-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Given your role, I think you know that agreeing with the OP is not the norm around here;). I welcome opposing views. I clearly believe what I believe, but am open to disagreement and if nothing else, different perspectives.

I don't know how folks don't buy in to a guy who's won at least one playoff game every year of his career. Like I have already said......he should have been in last year's SB, outplaying Brady in New England, and he has been incredible in the playoffs this year, just under 115 passer rating against three teams - two of them The Ravens were not supposed to beat.

There are a lot of QBs who play well in the regular season but don't deliver at the most crucial times. I think Flacco has some Big Ben fan feelings.....no matter how many big games they win, they just aren't appreciated for their play. And this coming from a guy who doesn't pull for Flacco.

As for some other folks' comments.....don't compare him to Sanchez re: playoffs. Sanchez was good for a while. He's dropped off since. As for Eli.....well, that's a compliment. Winning 2 SBs puts you in a special class. If Flacco wins one, he too is in a special class. I don't know, The Ravens are underdogs again....hmmm.

Yeah, but if we're going to rate Flacco based on his road playoff record, then we invite the Mark Sanchez comparison.

bronx_2003
01-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Yeah, but if we're going to rate Flacco based on his road playoff record, then we invite the Mark Sanchez comparison.

Hence why QB's should not just be judged on W-L's.

Sanchez was carried to the 2 conf. games. Now the D and running game is not top 3 he is shown up as the QB he is.

In Big Bens rookie year he was asked to do very little and had the worst SB of any QB ever, stats wise, but they still won.

Peanut
01-21-2013, 01:57 PM

I didn't want to be the one to come in and "trash" your thread.

We all have our opinions. I hear so much hype around here (MD), I guess I just get tired of it. Flacco is good. I just don't think he's as good as some say he is. They don't credit the D or their O-line. I mean, look at the Bronco/Raven game in December. I know everyone has an off day, but he was bad and we didn't put pressure on him (as one fan I talked to said, we didn't have to). Fans were calling for his head. Music to my ears. :D

elway93
01-21-2013, 02:50 PM
I have to say I've been really impressed with him this postseason. Previous years it just seemed like he was getting dragged along for the ride by his teammates, this year he is actually contributing big time. If he manages to play well in the big game and lead the Ravens to a win I think he'll have established himself as an upper-tier guy. Now, he'd still have to back that up by producing big next year too before I would accept him as an elite quarterback, but he has definitely shown great signs of improvement.

CanDB
01-21-2013, 03:11 PM

I don't think it's fair to compare to Sanchez......but at one point, I will say that Sanchez did look like the future. He was kinda hot for a while....

Hence why QB's should not just be judged on W-L's.

Sanchez was carried to the 2 conf. games. Now the D and running game is not top 3 he is shown up as the QB he is.

In Big Bens rookie year he was asked to do very little and had the worst SB of any QB ever, stats wise, but they still won.

I disagree.....wins and losses are strongly impacted by QBs.

Lets not use a few examples of why we don't like it to bring down Flacco and some other deserved QBs.

CanDB
01-21-2013, 03:14 PM
I didn't want to be the one to come in and "trash" your thread.

We all have our opinions. I hear so much hype around here (MD), I guess I just get tired of it. Flacco is good. I just don't think he's as good as some say he is. They don't credit the D or their O-line. I mean, look at the Bronco/Raven game in December. I know everyone has an off day, but he was bad and we didn't put pressure on him (as one fan I talked to said, we didn't have to). Fans were calling for his head. Music to my ears. :D

You trashing me!!!!!!! I will report you to yourself!!!!

:D

It's ok to disagree. I just think he's playing better than many give him credit for. For my money, he seemed to take over the game yesterday in the 3rd Q, and never looked back. His team did a great job to seal the deal, but at some point he does deserve a lot of credit as well.

For some others who may think I am defining him as an "elite" QB.....well, I didn't. But I do believe he is a good QB whose stock is rising.

Charlie Brown
01-21-2013, 04:46 PM
I do not like the Ravens. I hope that they lose the Super Bowl. That said, after the game I was happy to see how they treated O.J. Brigance.

Again, I would like to reiterate that I hope that the 49ers beat them.

bronx_2003
01-21-2013, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=CanDB;4649790I disagree.....wins and losses are strongly impacted by QBs.

Lets not use a few examples of why we don't like it to bring down Flacco and some other deserved QBs.[/QUOTE]

Yes, thats true. The QB has a strong impact and W-L's are obviously the most important stat in football.

I do think the QB gets too much credit and there are numerous examples. Sanchez riding the Jets D to 2 champ. games.

Big Ben winning a SB in his rookie year with that D.

I heard people bash Manning after 'another' playoff loss when that defeat was on the D and PM had a pretty decent game.

Flacco yesterday had a bad first half and missed a lot of throws, an outstanding effort by the D kept them in the game.

All QB's seem to get annointed as elite at some stage. Stafford was, Romo was, Eli was, but they fall back to inconsistentcy.

There are 4 elite QB's in PM, Brady, Rodgers and Bree's who for years carried there teams and produced week in, week out. They are a long long way ahead of anyone else.

Luck seems destined for that group. Possibly Griffin. Maybe Wilson but I'm not sure.

bears6385
01-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Yes, thats true. The QB has a strong impact and W-L's are obviously the most important stat in football.

I do think the QB gets too much credit and there are numerous examples. Sanchez riding the Jets D to 2 champ. games.

Big Ben winning a SB in his rookie year with that D.

I heard people bash Manning after 'another' playoff loss when that defeat was on the D and PM had a pretty decent game.

Flacco yesterday had a bad first half and missed a lot of throws, an outstanding effort by the D kept them in the game.

All QB's seem to get annointed as elite at some stage. Stafford was, Romo was, Eli was, but they fall back to inconsistentcy.

There are 4 elite QB's in PM, Brady, Rodgers and Bree's who for years carried there teams and produced week in, week out. They are a long long way ahead of anyone else.

Luck seems destined for that group. Possibly Griffin. Maybe Wilson but I'm not sure.Only thing I would change here is that Big Ben did not win the Super Bowl in his rookie year 2004, it was his second year in 2005.

bronx_2003
01-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Only thing I would change here is that Big Ben did not win the Super Bowl in his rookie year 2004, it was his second year in 2005.

Yep, my bad

CanDB
01-21-2013, 09:05 PM
In case folks didn't notice, the title describes Flacco as follows......

"ain't bad"

That doesn't equal "elite". And if Flacco has a quality SB win, he might earn that or some form of it. This is not an argument about him being "elite". Some folks jump to that whenever QBs are discussed.

And as to Flacco's 1st half being poor.....just remember, he's about 115 passer rating for the playoffs. That's pretty clutch! And yesterday he was 106.3 after a slow start. Don't forget, the wind was a factor for both QBs, but he came out way ahead......3 TDs and 0 pics.

CanDB
02-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Final thoughts about Flacco's season......whether or not folks call him elite or not, I'd say this (and remember, I'm not a big fan)

1) He had a great postseason......117.2 rating including 11 TDs and ZERO picks
2) QBs and SB wins are a formula for long term success
3) His postseason victory totals are impressive.....sure, these are team successes (as are all wins), but the QB has a key role
4) He's gonna make a lot of mula going forward!!! (whether folks love him or not)

LSIGRAD09
02-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Final thoughts about Flacco's season......whether or not folks call him elite or not, I'd say this (and remember, I'm not a big fan)

1) He had a great postseason......117.2 rating including 11 TDs and ZERO picks
2) QBs and SB wins are a formula for long term success
3) His postseason victory totals are impressive.....sure, these are team successes (as are all wins), but the QB has a key role
4) He's gonna make a lot of mula going forward!!! (whether folks love him or not)

I think Peyton should take notes. In all honesty.

CanDB
02-04-2013, 05:01 PM
I lied.....one more final comment:

When watching Joe being interviewed, I sensed that many folks aren't enamoured by him, because he's a bit on the dull side. If that was the case, I think that's an unfair way to knock the guy. There's no doubt he has become a big game player, and that's what you want in a QB. Plus he seems to be gaining confidence and poise, which means to me anyway, that he's on the rise.

I'd get over this "elite" conversation, and just pay him some respect, as a QB......like him or not, good D or not, good oline or not, good coaching or not, lots of weapons or not. He's the SB MVP, and was also the #1 PostSeason QB, over the course of four games, against some pretty good opposition. I say good on him.

Spice 1
02-04-2013, 06:14 PM
I lied.....one more final comment:

When watching Joe being interviewed, I sensed that many folks aren't enamoured by him, because he's a bit on the dull side. If that was the case, I think that's an unfair way to knock the guy. There's no doubt he has become a big game player, and that's what you want in a QB. Plus he seems to be gaining confidence and poise, which means to me anyway, that he's on the rise.

I'd get over this "elite" conversation, and just pay him some respect, as a QB......like him or not, good D or not, good oline or not, good coaching or not, lots of weapons or not. He's the SB MVP, and was also the #1 PostSeason QB, over the course of four games, against some pretty good opposition. I say good on him.

I think the main problem is that people are tired of hearing about it. By him winning the MVP, it's going to create more debate. If I had a vote, Anquan Boldin would have gotten it. Then you've got people like Cowherd going on about how great he is, and saying how they would put him up there with Brady and Manning. Just adding fuel to the fire. I'm not out to derail your thread, and I agree with the premise. He is a good quarterback from my standpoint. He gets my respect (I already stated why), but to hear this Manning and Brady stuff? Seriously?

You look at guys like Manning and Brady. How many different receivers have they had success with? You look at Flacco. Aside from Boldin, who has he had success with? When has Flacco ever lead the NFL in completion percentage, passing yards, touchdowns, passer rating, completions, TD%, 4th quarter comebacks, or game winning drives? Never. He's only finished in the top five in two of those categories: 2012 4th quarter comebacks (T 3rd with 3 others), and 2012 game winning drives (5th). But like I've said. He can play in the clutch. He's proven that this post season.

I totally agree with what you're saying. He's a good quarterback. He deserves respect, but I don't get how he's under appreciated. People need to chill out on that. It's like when guys like Al Michaels get butt hurt because people say Romo isn't "elite". Like they can't figure out what elite means. It means the best in the NFL. Flacco and Romo aren't in that category. It's actually pretty damn simple.

bronx_2003
02-05-2013, 11:29 AM
I think Peyton should take notes. In all honesty.

I hate when people knock PM for the playoff record. For years he carried Indy, a team that had the #1 pick without him. He went to 2 SB's and won one. They were not loaded like NE, they had major holes he covered up.

Against the Ravens he threw 3 scores and 1 pick in regulation. We scored 35 points which should easily have been enough to win. It wasn't PM's fault that the D had their worst game of the season or that Moore made a serious misjudgement on an easy pick.

Flacco played pretty well but my problem with him is the same as Eli. Eli had an average season then got hot in the playoffs and they got a SB. People say he is elite, this season he strugles again. You will probably see that with Flacco.

Brady, PM amd Rodgers are consistent every week, and miles ahead of anyone else. Bree's would be next if he gets his form... and coach, back.

simplistickhaos
02-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Can I just please ask...what if Ray Lewis doesn't come back from injury or retire??? Do the Ravens still win the Super Bowl? Do they even make the playoff's? I understand Flacco had a good run but how much did the impending retirement of that teams heart and soul have to do with that run? Has Joe Flacco ever put that team on his back and carried them to the playoffs? The answer is simple, no. We will see what Flacco is made of next year when the leader of that team is no longer there.

I do not believe he is elite because of some of the throws he made with no pressure on him. Mostly the throw to Jacoby in the Super Bowl, that throw had to be 10 yards short at least. Jacoby had to stop and wait for it. Many deep throws that he throws are that way. He has a strong arm but doesn't always set is feet right to make a long throw.

CoryWinget81
02-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Yeah, Flacco is pretty good. I for one think closing your eyes and chucking it up on a wing and a prayer is a great strategy.

BroncoSexyDaddy
02-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Yeah, Flacco is pretty good. I for one think closing your eyes and chucking it up on a wing and a prayer is a great strategy.He would be a great hockey player i bet.

CanDB
03-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Joe Flacco's salary.......

ain't bad either!!!!

PowderAddict
03-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Flacco had 11 TD's 0 INT's in the playoffs. He's not worth what he was paid, but he's hardly the Mr Magoo some are portraying him to be.

We'll see if he can keep his production high. I have some doubts. But he was the best QB in the playoffs last year, and that counts.

CanDB
03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Flacco had 11 TD's 0 INT's in the playoffs. He's not worth what he was paid, but he's hardly the Mr Magoo some are portraying him to be.

We'll see if he can keep his production high. I have some doubts. But he was the best QB in the playoffs last year, and that counts.

We see it the same way bud. In terms of playoff success, this guy's in an elite group, given what he has accomplished in his career. And lets give him some credit for that dropped pass in the end zone last year against The Pats. He could easily have led his team to back to back SB appearances. And despite what some say, his stats are getting pretty good over the last 2 years, especially in the playoffs!

I think some folks don't care for his personality or whatever. He's not a charismatic type of person, but so what? That doesn't matter if your team loves ya, and your winning the big games.