PDA

View Full Version : Is the NFL an Entertainment Business like the WWE?

Pages : [1] 2

Rancid
01-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Some of the things I have been noticing about the NFL over the last few years struck me as too strange to be coincidences. For example, two Harbaughs in the Superbowl after the Ravens beat Peyton Manning and Tom Brady both at home?

I came across this article and thought I would share for reaction:

http://spaces.covers.com/blog/MaximumWins/NFL/03042012-Reasons-Why-The-NFL-Is-Fixed-For-Profit.html

First off, I'm going to begin this blog by stating that I don't have any intentions on changing anyone's mind about the NFL. Nor am I trying to start an argument about who is right and who is wrong.

I already know everyone's argument of "It takes too many people to rig a game", and the all time classic with no viable facts, "They make too much money, why would they jeopardize it?" Arguing about the nature of such things is like arguing about religion and politics. There is no point.

I'm just going to point out several observations I have made over the last few years about the NFL and state my case for why I think the NFL fixes their own games for profit. So if you are already on the defensive ready to discredit all of the evidence I am about display without actually bringing up facts that go against my arguments (like a normal discussion should be) then move on.

So if you have any documented facts, I would like to hear them. If you agree with me afterwards great, if you don't that's cool too, follow me on Twitter @shark702 and we can continue the discussion there. But again, let's talk, not insult each other. If you are the type of person who hates being lied to, was upset to find out as a kid that Santa wasn't real and that WWE is fake than please read on and I would love to hear your opinions.

OK, so if you are ready to take the Red Pill, let's see how deep the rabbit hole goes...

I've been handicapping the NFL for about 10 years now using mathematical analysis of teams, point spreads, specific outcomes and algebra, specifically relating to the calculation of probability where P(X=K)=(n/k)P^k(q)(n-k) and (n/k) = n!/k!(n-k)!, accounting for injuries, and incorporating Power Ratings which I developed from a simple Grade Scale A-F with the best NFL team receiving an A and the worst receiving an F. I was able to amass several consistent 60% ATS betting seasons. This process I found to be long and arduous and caused me great mental stress after a certain period of time.

But one day, during the 2009 season, something happened that changed it all. Now I've had my share of bad beats up until then. Some of these bad beats were too good to be true i.e The Tuck Rule Game. Several coincidences happened that just seemed to good to be true. The New England Patriots post 9/11 run, the Saints erasing 40 years of negative football history post Katrina, the Manning Families dynasty, just to name a few.

Now if you believe in random coincidence that's fine, but when they happen on multiple occasions over and over and over than it's time to do a little research. Ralph Waldo Emerson once said "Shallow men believe in Luck, strong men believe in cause and effect".

So during a game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the San Diego Chargers the Steelers were favored by 3. Nearly 70 percent of the betting public was on Pittsburgh, with a reported $100 million in potential earnings. The score with less than a minute to go, 11-10 Pittsburgh and SD with the ball. After an errant lateral gets knocked away by Troy Polamalu, he scoops it and scores. The score is now 17-10, there is no time left, all teams head to the locker room, fans go to cash their tickets.

After several minutes of debate, the refs overturn the call, restoring a meaningless TD off the board making the final score 11-10, the Steelers win, the public loses. What I found to be most odd about it is the league's explanation of a "forward pass". The pass was ruled forward although it is obvious it was a backwards lateral. When I got home, I starting thinking that things were just to good to be true.

Sportscenter reported the money lost in Vegas and almost joked about it. They were literally laughing. So after this bad beat, I held around some serious thoughts about the legitimacy of pro football.

An opportunity came up in my graduate school where I was to write my project on any topic I was to choose. So I chose researching the "Showbiz manipulations of the NFL". I picked up several books including Dan Moldea's "Interference: How Organized Crimes Influence Professional Football", Brian Touhy's "The Fix Is In" , Roger L. Martins "Fixing the Game". I checked out several TV Marketing books from the college library and also several TV Business books.

I utilized my rights under the Freedom of Information Act passed by President Lyndon Johnson in 1966 to access over 40 years of FBI files on the NFL although some information was redacted. Here's what I found:

1. Contrary to popular belief and to what he NFL wants you to think, there have been fixed games in league history. On page 308 of Dan Moldea's book "Interference" he lists over 70 NFL games that have been fixed and includes the names of the 2 referees involved in fixing those games. He also lists interviews with NFL HOF players most notably KC Chiefs QB Len Dawson. He, in detail with documented facts supported by FBI documents, has interviews with NFL players and known gambling associates to uncover massive game fixing in the league. He also notes, with evidence, throughout the book that no fewer than 26 NFL team owners have or have had continuous and developing relationships with the gambling world, most notably the Rooney, Bidwill, and Mara families all getting their starts as Bookmakers for established mid-west crime families and buying their NFL franchises with moneys earned from gambling. So that in and of itself is a hypocrisy number 1 on the NFL's "lilly white" reputation.

NFL Referees are part-time employees of the NFL. They are not employees of any team nor do they get paid anywhere close to the sums of NBA refs. NFL refs make between $25K to $70K per season. They work for the league and do what the league tells them to do. They are not there for "the integrity of the game". Referees, unlike other sports, are bound by NFL mandated gag orders which prevent them from talking to the media.

2. The NFL possesses an Anti-Trust Exemption to the law granted to it by President John F. Kennedy, which ultimately allows the NFL to classify itself as "entertainment" rather than sport, as well as incorporate itself as a single entity instead of the 32 separate "franchises" they would want you to believe. Contrary to the perception of the NFL being 32 separate franchises battling it out for gridiron supremacy. In a franchised environment, such as McDonalds (Business 101), each franchise is individually owned and operated and can participate in national promotions, have its own local promotions, or abstain from participating (hence the fine print in commercials saying "at participating locations".

This keeps the regionality of competition in tact without having to compete on a national level. MLB has this status, the NFL does not. Instead, since the NFL has this Anti-Trust exemption, it is able to package its teams in order to sell to national television companies, which today totals $6 Billion in revenue for the league. That is 75% of the leagues total annual revenue. In a 2004 lawsuit vs the NFL, the NFL attorney Gregg H. Levy argued that "the NFL is not a collection of 32 individual teams, but rather a single entity. And as long as the NFL teams are a unit, and they compete as a unit in the entertainment marketplace, then they should be deemed a single unit and not subject to any Anti-Trust laws."

There is only another "sports" organization that I can think of that follows this, the WWE. Levy also argued that the league markets its products and merchandise as a whole to promote the NFL as a whole. These arguments led all the way to lockout during the 2011 offseason. The league would still earn $5 Billion in revenue, even without a single game being played.

Professional sports is the only industry without ANY federal oversight. Therefore the league can do and go as they see fit, this is something the players were concerned about going into the lockout, the NFL players themselves sought help from US Congress asking for oversight of the NFL. And NFL players wanted an explanation as to why the NFL owners were granted an Anti-Trust exemption in the first place. They didn't get it.

The NFL proved in this lawsuit that they see themselves as a single unit in the "entertainment" industry and the unique league revenue sharing strategy is not common amongst professional sports leagues.

Rancid
01-21-2013, 07:20 PM
3. Players are paid to play, not win. There is this notion that NFL players play for "the gory of the game" and all this other propaganda that the NFL wants you to absorb. But nothing could be further from the truth. Although there is a percentage of players who play for the love of the game, most play for the money and fame. So keeping this in mind, players earn their salary by playing, not winning. It makes no difference to a player, paycheck wise, if he wins or loses as he will still be richer than the average person. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of morons that encompass the NFL as murderers, rapists, drug addicts, gamblers, womanizers, tramps, dog fighters, thugs and gangsters, ex cons, I could go on.

It only take a coach, and the referees to provide an outcome to the NFL's liking. Therefore, players play and get paid, and as long as they keep their mouth shut they will be rewarded if such privileged info were to cross their path. Most American men have played football on some level which brings about the notion "I played football and I've never been asked to fix a game, therefore there is no way an NFL game would be fixed".

But an FBI investigation revealed that several KC Chiefs games were taken off of Las Vegas sports book boards for "suspicion of game fixing" and several Las Vegas sports book directors revealed "games were indeed fixed".

NFL HOFer Paul Hornung and Alex Karas were suspended from the league for an entire season for gambling and participating in potential game fixing, only after the information was made public and scrutiny ensued, not because NFL commissioner Pete Rozell was actively "protecting the integrity of the game".

It took Packers HC Vince Lombardi to call in a favor to get them reinstated into the NFL. Thus NFL security was born. Just ask yourself...what billion dollar business would allow their profits to be at the hands of uneducated, black, youth? Not one single American business. Businesses ensure that a dollar is made and they don't entrust their livelihood in them. It's just not rational nor good business and no business in the history of business does this.

A McDonald's burger flipper either does what he is told or he is gone, plain and simple. Burgers still get sold. America still gets fat.

4. NFL Security is a reactionary force design to cover up the NFL's problems. After the Hornung issue, the league instituted NFL security and hired former FBI agents and local law enforcement. Their job is to keep any and all stories under wraps and to clean up as many messes as they can. They DO NOT and I repeat, DO NOT do any actual proactive investigating. The NFL commissioner works for the NFL owners, therefore he is exempt from any investigating as well as the owners. Which is why you hear little of the NFL owners illegal gambling ties.

In Dan Moldea's book, it is clearly indicated by interviews with former members of NFL Security that they don't do any actual work until there is a tip. No tip, no work. In the FBI's files of investigations on the likes of Vick, Ray Caruth, etc. a common theme takes place in that, the FBI is investigating these players for other things and information pops up during the course of the investigation that could be detrimental to the NFL and then it is forwarded to NFL security. Then they being work, hence reactionary. Then ultimately they get bombarded with work that is useless and only provides good copy for which the league can say "we are protecting the integrity of the game", case in point, the recent "Bounties" on the Saints from 09-11. This is a nonsense story that is an attempt to steer you away from what is really going on and provide perception that the game is clean.

But yesterday I received a tweet from Damien Woody that said specifically "Bounties are common place in NFL, no big deal". NFL Security also fails to catch real criminals, see Sam Hurd, Jerome Simpson, etc. The NFL Security simply put, is a reactionary force engaged in monitoring player activity and providing damage control in the event of leaked information.

5. Video taping other teams' plays is common practice in the NFL. In 2007 as we all know, SpyGate rocked the NFL world. The Patriots were caught red-handed video taping the Jets plays and signals. The NFL and NFL Security went into damage control by destroying the supposed "only tape" and quickly fired and destroyed the reputation of videographer Matt Walsh. Destroying the tape is a felony as it contributes to obstruction of justice laws as well as tampering with evidence. Another, lowly touted "SpyGate" occurrence popped up in 2010 when Josh McDaniels was caught filming 49ers practices and hand signals. A tip to NFL security led to an investigation of the Broncos and all members involved were eventually fired.

Why were there 2 instances? Once is an accident, two is a trend? I'm inclined to believe that this is common practice in the NFL. But where are the handcuffs on Goodell? They don't exist. Because it would only be illegal if game fixing was occurring in actual sports. Since the NFL argues that they are "entertainment" , than they are in charge of the outcome of their own games and can "produce" their television product how they see fit.

In 2007 a Jets season ticket holder sued the NFL for $185 million and the case reached the US Supreme Court. The court documents are available online at http://thefixisin.net/resources/precendential+opinion.pdf. The Jets fan argued that, all Jets fans are entitled to refunds because they paid for a ticket to a legitimate sporting event. Had he been aware that the games were not real then we would not have gone.

The NFL's attorneys argued that the fan simply "purchased a ticket which gives him a contractual right to a seat in a stadium to watch an NFL game between the Patriots and Jets, and this right was honored." More, Senior Judge Robert E. Cowen agreed stating that a ticket to a game only provides you access to the stadium and nothing more. The fan entered the stadium, witnessed an NFL game, therefore he did not suffer any damages to legally protected right or interest. The fan's lawyer, Bruce Afran disagreed and argued that the NFL committed consumer fraud saying "This seems to suggest that no matter how much ticker holders pay, they can be frauded by NFL teams which puts the NFL on the same level as professional wrestling".

Afran is correct in his judgement based on the interpretation of game fixing laws. A team can't fix their own games for gambling purposes, nor can they fix an intellectual contest (a ruling based n the Quiz Show scandal of the 1950s) But judges ruled that fixing a game for entertainment purposes was completely LEGAL NFL Attorney Shephard Goldfein actually argued in court supporting this argument saying "fans would likely still buy tickets even if they knew teams were stealing signals" In other word, the NFL knows you will still pay to see football even if you knew it was fake because you love football.

Much like pro wrestling. The Supreme Court threw the case out in favor of the NFL which ultimately makes it legal to fix your own games for entertainment purposes.

6. TV Ratings are more important than fans in the stadium. NFL officials, according to FBI files are quoted as saying " the NFL will continue to profit, even with empty stadiums. NFL games can even be filmed in studios to make a profit". TV is the lifeblood of any sport. Get on TV and you will survive somehow. If you are not on TV you are dead. TV Networks pay huge sums of money to the NFL for the rights to broadcast these games. Estimates of TV revenue exceed $6 Billion. Television stations make this money back plus a profit by advertising dollars.

This is why ratings are so important. Ratings = $$ because advertisers pay big money to advertise on the program. Marketing 101 tells us that television networks pay for the rights to broadcast NFL games, the NFL sells these games to Big TV as we will call them. The NFL gets paid up front. Now Big TV is in a deep whole. Big TV goes out to advertisers and sells ad spots during the game and any other NFL themed programming. Big TV promises the advertiser that X number of people will tune into the game each week and that those people will in turn by their product. Some Big TV executives even boldly predict as to the conversion rate of the people watching the games. If, for whatever reason, the resulting TV rating isn't what Big TV promised to the advertiser, Big TV has to pay the advertiser a refund.

Knowing this, do you really think Big TV wants to pay refunds? And this is a win-win situation for the league. The league wants more exciting games, Big TV wants their viewers, everyone gets paid. In a 2010 article, ProFootballTalk.com tells of a situation in which ESPN executives were giving play directions to then Titans coach Jeff Fisher and directed on how to conduct the game. Now who is really in control? You can read that article here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/chris-johnsons-fantasy-owners-should-thank-espn-jack-del-rio/

Rancid
01-21-2013, 07:21 PM
7. Owners business dealings result in wins and losses, Super Bowls are rewarded not earned through play. There are several cases for every single Super Bowl as mentioned in the book The Fix Is In by Brian Tuohy. But we will focus on just a few here. In 1969 Super Bowl III was the greatest upset in NFL history, but was it really? The league was merging with the AFL and there was growing sentiment among the NFL faithful that this business deal was going to fail because of the supposed "inferior" play by the AFL.

The Green Bay Packers had demolished the KC Chiefs and Oakland Raiders in SB I and II. The Baltimore Colts were steamrolling opponents in the NFL with an all-time high 18 points per game win margin. The Jets beat Oakland in the AFL title game but by no means were a power house and were double-digit underdogs. Another AFL loss in the big game would spell doom for the league and it's billion dollar merger. Magically, the Colts played their worst game of their lives with 5 turnovers and getting shut down 16-7.

Bubba Smith was reported saying in a 1969 Playboy interview, "It felt like it was fixed for the Jets to win. Something just seemed weird with the way our offense was doing." This victory for the Jets was vital for the NFL as it sold the public on the AFL being a viable league thus completing the merger and building the NFL we know today. It was also reported that Baltimore Colts owner, Carroll Rosenbloom, bet $1 million on the game. Without the Jets winning, we may have a different NFL today. You can watch Super Bowl 3 and judge for yourself at http://youtu.be/iMjlCuJKQ2c .

In 2000 Art Model, a storied and respected owner of the Baltimore Ravens announced he was selling the team. Miraculously, even with one of the worst offenses in NFL history, and one of the best defenses, won the Super Bowl. And the Ravens were subsequently sold to Steve Busciotti for a record price. What better way to sell a team but to hype it up so much that you can get the highest price for it?

Don't believe this story? Well how about during the 2011 season the Jacksonville Jaguars announce they are for sale. They are featured (for some strange reason) on several prime time games. Which culminated in one of the biggest fixes in NFL history in the "upset" of the Ravens on MNF 12-7. The Ravens magically looked inept, stupid and pitiful as the Jags won by scoring 4 field goals. The following week the team was sold. And finally, the other item I will mention.

Robert Kraft and John Mara are two of the most business savvy and highly respected NFL owners. Kraft is in charge of the NFL TV broadcast committee and also leads all television negotiations for the NFL. Kraft also is on the board of directors for Viacom, the parent company of CBS, one of NFL's broadcasters. This past Spring, Robert Kraft negotiated a record TV deal for the NFL which will result in $24 Billion in revenue with CBS, FOX, ESPN and NBC. Kraft and Mara also brought both parties to the table and led all negotiations in ending the lockout.

Lastly, Robert Kraft and Las Vegas casino mogul Steve Wynn plan on opening a casino resort across the street from Gillette Stadium. Is it magic that these two owners who have done so much for the league over the last 20 years magically found themselves playing each other in the Super Bowl? Not to mention all of the nostalgic history between Belichik and Coughlin being former Giants coaches. Sometimes the NFL even mocks you by telling you this as they ran a 4 minute piece on the NFL pre-game show before the Super Bowl telling you all these things.

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank was interviewed saying "It is predetermined that these two teams would be here, I wish my team was selected to be in the Super Bowl one day, but these two gentlemen deserve it". And the Giants posted themselves as victors before the game, the NFL claimed it was "an overzealous employee".

The 49ers need a new stadium, with the same players as Mike Singletary, and a Alex Smith in a contract year, the 49ers post a 13-3 record and make it to the NFC Championship. But what they don't tell you is how the stadium deal is structured. 80% of the funding comes from Bank of America and US Bank. 20% financed by the State of California using tax dollars.

The 49ers have pledged to pay back the State in 5 seasons with help from revenue sharing from NFL owners. What better way to pay someone back quickly than with packed stadiums and extra playoff game revenue.

On MNF they found themselves in a blackout. Steelers safety Ryan Clark said "it was to show the league they need a new stadium and the 49ers caused the blackout". Why would he say this if shadiness wasn't common practice? You can view his opinions here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/990842-ryan-clark-accuses-san-francisco-of-staging-power-outages-is-he-off-his-rocker.

Ravens players complained that the 2007 Patriots were " being handed games by refs" in their quest for perfection. And I have over 40 years of information on NFL business dealings and how these owners "miraculously" found themselves holding the Lombardi Trophy.

Let's look at the 2011 season and see how television ratings connected with some of the league's most important games, and quickly view how the referees controlled games.

Week 1: NFL Announces ESPN will pay $1billion per game of MNF through the 2021 season. In a tribute to 9/11 20 million + viewers tuned in as the Jets mounted a magic 14 point comeback over the Cowboys. Number of penalties called the Jets = 0

Week 2: The NFL's rule changes make for a more exciting game as scoring is way up. Much like the AFL days of the 60's, 72% of the games went over the total and TV ratings are now through the roof. The league emphasises "the year of the QB".

Week 3: Packers vs Bears: The Bears return a punt return for a TD which would've ultimately allowed them to cover the spread. Instead a fantom holding call overturned the TD. It was the 10th penalty of the game for the Bears vs. 1 penalty for the Packers. You can see the play here: http://youtu.be/_w-pXfjbYHk

Week 6: The Beginning of the Tim Tebow Era. Tim Tebow has a HUGE, and I mean HUGE Christian following. The guy can't hit a barn, but a decent athlete. Yet as the third string QB he is thrust into the starting role and the team magically "changes the entire offense" in a matter of weeks to suit him? Tebow was the number 1 jersey seller for the league without even stepping foot on the field. It was time to make him a star and they did ripping off several "magical" victories with poultry statistics. These teams were handing them games. If you didn't notice this, all I need to say it two words : Marion Barber. All the while the NFL is forcing religion down our throats with God's quarterback.

Week 7: The Jags are close to a sale, the possible new owners just need one more hint of encouragement to prevent buyers remorse. In come the Ravens. After the Saints destruction of the Colts on SNF. Vegas was in trouble. ESPN was in trouble because no one was going to watch this snore fest. The Ravens didn't get a first down until late in the fourth quarter and the Jags win with 4 FG's. Sale complete, Vegas wins. You lose.

Week 9: The suck for Luck campaign begins in Indianapolis. No team has ever hosted a Super Bowl as a competitor. This would continue to be the case as Manning is out and the Colts are terrible. And the Super Bowl is where this season? You guessed it, Indianapolis. Who won the Super Bowl in Payton's place? Magically, his brother Eli. Don't you just love fairy tales?

The NFL admits in this article: http://thefixisin.net/nytimes.html that QB's drive ratings and that is the number one goal.

Week 13: With the Broncos tied with the Vikings 32-32, NFL.com posted a headline "The Broncos are down 3 points to the Vikings, expect fireworks from Tim Tebow". But the game was already tied. The Broncos magically won the game and Tebow had one of his better passing performances. What did the NFL know that you didn't?

Week 14: Referees miss a blatant facemask call in the Vikings/Lions game that should have resulted in an additional play for the Vikings, instead the game was over and the Lions won the game. It was a must win game for the Lions. And magically, the Replay operating system went down in two stadiums on the same day at the same time, during the Raiders/Packers game and the 49ers/Cardinals game. This ultimately cost the Cardinals a chance to win the game as a touchdown was not confirmed. In an HBO Real Sports interview, Roger Goodell is awkwardly showing cameras in NFL headquarters showing the Referee screening room with hundreds of monitors viewing all of the games at once. Do they control the games from this HQ?

Week 16: In Gregg Easterbrook's TMQ December 27th article he says "What did the NFL know and when did they know it? Just after Tom Brady ran for a TD to make the score 27-17 NE, with 3 minutes remaining in the game, NFL.com posted a highlight tag and a headline that said "Brady puts Patriots up for Good". That was the NFL official word with 3 minutes left in the game! Also on MFN, the Saints were playing the Falcons in what was going to be the game in which Drew Brees would break Dan Marino's passing record. The league stopped the game to celebrate the moment. The Saints had 0 penalties called on them all game, and the Falcons went for it on 4th down in their own territory twice, losing both times! And magically Brees broke the record on a TD pass and all of the players and camera crews knew exactly when they were going to break the record and magically celebrated at the same time. Even more interesting during this game, the Saints were initially called for holding in the end zone which should have resulted in a Safety, but the head referee overturned the call saying "The offensive player was shedding the defender, therefore no holding occurred".

Rancid
01-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Week 17: In this Denver post article, you can see how profitable Tim Tebow is to the league: http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_19654087
Magically, the 8-8 Broncos made the playoffs.

Wild Card Weekend: The Broncos magically beat the #1 defense in the league, the Pittsburgh Steelers to secure another round of ratings and profit. And for another "coincidence" according the NFL's communications website, NFLcommunications.com, the Divisional round matchups will be rematches of some of the highest rated regular season games of the year. Patriots vs Broncos was the #4 highest rated TV program of the year and NY Giants vs. Green Bay Packers was the #3 highest rated TV program of the year. Each game drawing 30 million viewers. There was video of Steelers LB James Farrior winking at Tim Tebow during the overtime coin toss.This YouTube channel video was eventual pulled by the NFL and Youtube. Why? Why did the NFL force Youtube to pull this video? Why is he winking? Is he saying "don't worry kid, just throw the ball, we will lay down for ya."

The NFL has removed a video from YouTube of the Bengals/Texans game where CBS announcer Jim Nance discusses the Bengals going for it on 4th down as they were lining up in punt formation. He says "And the Bengals will go for it here on 4th down". Then MAGICALLY Houston calls a Time Out and the Bengals come back out onto the field and go for it on 4th down. Dalton gets rushed and throws an incomplete pass. Turnover on downs. Magic.

Divisional Round: 49ers vs. Saints= 0 holding penalties called on the Saints after 60 pass attempts. Ravens = 0 overall penalties vs. the Texans, The Greg Jennings obvious fumble overturned to a "non-fumble". And is it a coincidence that the NFL has teams in Americas top 6 media markets, New York, Chicago, Boston, Baltimore/DC, and San Francisco. Which 4 teams are alive? New York, San Franscisco, Baltimore and New England (Boston).

Championship Sunday: Out of the 45 previous Super Bowls played, the NFL listed a poll of "which is your favorite Super Bowl ever" before the NFC/AFC championship games, one of the selections was Super Bowl XLII with New England and New York getting the most votes. Magically, this was Super Bowl XLVI's matchup. Magically Lee Evans drops a wide open TD that would send the Ravens to the Super Bowl and create a legacy for Flacco. But Flacco has been running his mouth, it's not his time. THEN Cundiff "Magically" shanks a 32 yard FG saying "the scoreboard wasn't correct, I didn't know what down it was" C'mon.

Super Bowl XLVI: Big TV charged advertisers a historical record $4 million per commercial for the Super Bowl and they got every penny worth. Never mind the fact that the NFL told you the day before who the champion would be, check out this link : http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/04/giants-website-says-they-are-super-bowl-champions/related/

Robert Kraft gets his billion $ TV deal and his casino, the Mara's get their SB and the league splits 80% of the record profits and Roger Goodel gets $20 million a year in salary! They hoped you enjoyed their "presentation of the National Football League".

The Green Bay Packers and the New Orleans Saints did not have a holding penalty called on their teams until week 13. Week 13! These are verifiable stats that anyone can look up.

Still don't believe me after all of that proof? Let's quickly revisit some items from 2010.

2010 Week 7: Dolphins vs Steelers: Big Ben fumbles on his way to the endzone late in the 4th quarter. It's recovered by the Dolphins in the endzone but the referees went to replay and concluded that they could not determine "who" recovered the ball for the Dolphins, therefore the STEELERS get the ball on the 1 yard line. Ultimately they scored the game winning TD and the Dolphins were done.

2010: The Bucs and the Jags were the only two teams to suffer blackouts due to non attendance but the Bucs were the only team to have not sold out a single home game during the season. But since the NFL has to succeed as a single unit, these two teams were in playoff contention to maximize LEAGUE profits.

Lastly, the next argument I get from naysayers is "If it was fixed, someone would have investigated it and it would've come out". Well for the most part in a perfect world you are right. And this has happened. In Europe the BBC reports that over 300 games per year are fixed in UEFA. This article explains in detail: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8379251.stm And UEFA is still the world's number 1 league. But unlike Europe the press isn't owned by the television network and the league. In America, the NFL because of the financial obligation pretty much owns ESPN, CBS, NBC and Fox. They hold all the cards. So if any reporter were to investigate these things, and actually find something and report it, they would be committing career suicide and risk possible ostricizing from the journalism community and reputational detriment on behalf of these networks. People have mouths to feed, they are going to risk that to report on game fixing. No one is going to kill the Golden Goose. No one.

There are many other examples. Too many to list here. As well as the thousands of pages of FBI files on the NFL and it's behavior over the last 40 years. I recommend if you have an open mind, are sick of being lied to, and know that everything always isn't what TV says it is then purchase and read the books I mentioned earlier. You know what you are seeing on the television. Don't let other people steer you away from what you know you saw on TV. As T.O. once said "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, quacks like a duck...."

RealBronco
01-21-2013, 09:51 PM
1. How does this guy get articles published without an editor? Man that was tough.

2. It's hilarious that he thinks he's opening the public's eyes on this subject but he really just looks like an idiot for finally figuring out that sports are played for entertainment purposes only. Does he seriously believe he's uncovering some huge operation that everyone is oblivious to?

I have always placed sports in the same category as television and movies and any other sort of entertainment. They are part of the entertainment industry, period.

Nothing this guy states in his article should be surprising to anyone. Apparently though, it was surprising for him.

Charlie Brown
01-21-2013, 10:11 PM
I used to think that the answer was no.

Now, I very much think it is. The media hates Cleveland and mocks them non-stop. The Browns had an owner that kept the traditions alive, the media hated him and constantly bad mouthed Cleveland's traditions.

Now, new owner and an announcement that the team will get rid of their jerseys and "update" them. Probably will have Dogs all over it, Elves all over it, the letter "B" all over it. It wouldn't surprise me if the team magically starts winning once that new jersey is worn.

All of it to spit in the faces of fans that remember the Browns growing up. Oh yea, also, the same year that Modell dies, the Ravens are in the Super Bowl and Modell is a finalist for the NFL Hall of Fame?

Too many coincidences.

RealBronco
01-21-2013, 11:07 PM
I used to think that the answer was no.

Now, I very much think it is. The media hates Cleveland and mocks them non-stop. The Browns had an owner that kept the traditions alive, the media hated him and constantly bad mouthed Cleveland's traditions.

Now, new owner and an announcement that the team will get rid of their jerseys and "update" them. Probably will have Dogs all over it, Elves all over it, the letter "B" all over it. It wouldn't surprise me if the team magically starts winning once that new jersey is worn.

All of it to spit in the faces of fans that remember the Browns growing up. Oh yea, also, the same year that Modell dies, the Ravens are in the Super Bowl and Modell is a finalist for the NFL Hall of Fame?

Too many coincidences.

Which is interesting because over the last few weeks I've only heard what a piece of crap Modell was. I know this is probably mostly Browns fans that feel that way. I don't imagine Ravens fans would. After all, he returned football to Baltimore.

theMileHighGuy
01-22-2013, 12:02 AM

Too many coincidences.

Why would they have elves on them? :laugh:

I agree though.

Good read, Rancid. I don't have near the attention span to read it all but I got through a good bit of it. Every year there's just more and more crap in the league. I mean every year there is something else. Officiating has gotten worse every year. It used to be referees were a background thing, but it seems like since 2006-2007 or so, they've become a focal point of almost every game I've seen.

It's no secret that story-lines create ratings. It's likely that this will be the most watched Superbowl of all time, the Harbaugh brothers are a great story. Super bowl ads will cost more than ever before and generate more revenue than ever before. If I would accuse anyone of fixing games it would be a jerk like Goodell.

BroncoFanNC
01-22-2013, 12:21 AM

I agree though.

Good read, Rancid. I don't have near the attention span to read it all but I got through a good bit of it. Every year there's just more and more crap in the league. I mean every year there is something else. Officiating has gotten worse every year. It used to be referees were a background thing, but it seems like since 2006-2007 or so, they've become a focal point of almost every game I've seen.

It's no secret that story-lines create ratings. It's likely that this will be the most watched Superbowl of all time, the Harbaugh brothers are a great story. Super bowl ads will cost more than ever before and generate more revenue than ever before. If I would accuse anyone of fixing games it would be a jerk like Goodell.

Except all SB ad spots were sold out by Jan. 8th, which means 8 of 12 teams were still up for SB spots. So fixing stories in terms of selling ads doesn't really make much sense....

beastlyskronk
01-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Any Super Bowl matchup of this year's playoff teams would have an interesting storyline leading up to the game. Both Ray Lewis and Tony Gonzalez are supposedly hanging them up after this season, great story line for the game there. Obviously with the 49ers and Ravens, you have 2 brothers coaching against each other and again the Ray Lewis retirement aspect. Had we made it, they'd be talking about much Peyton had to overcome on his comeback from his neck surgeries, which would include having to beat Ray Lewis one last time in the playoffs, that's a matchup for the ages people and then facing Tom Brady in the AFC Championship game to advance to the Super Bowl. The same can also be applied to Ray Lewis in this situation.

The NFL has become a league in which teams have to come together to make the playoffs. You look at every team that consistently makes the playoffs and it's a team that plays as a team and play for each other. The Colts had their HC to play for. Having a cause to rally around is a big part of success. That's why come playoff time you get all these storylines leading up to the big games. We got Peyton Manning and Champ Bailey to go get a ring for, these are two all time greats that need this ring. That's why our team took such a huge step forward this year. That's why the Lions took a step back this year, it's why the Bucs took a step back before Schiano was hired, they had nothing to really rally themselves around.

HavoK471
01-22-2013, 12:43 AM

I agree though.

You might just be paying attention to the game a little more and realizing the amount of impact a referee can have on a game. There are more rules, probably more complex rules now that they are using to protect players. More rules means refs have more to do and they start impacting. The rules are changing not the refs.

There were better story lines this year than the Harbowl. If it's all about the stories and ratings then we'd be watching a DEN v NYG Superbowl for the next few years

theMileHighGuy
01-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Except all SB ad spots were sold out by Jan. 8th, which means 8 of 12 teams were still up for SB spots. So fixing stories in terms of selling ads doesn't really make much sense....

After "harbaugh brothers" line I meant to to write something like "but would it be the most watched Super Bowl of all time anyway? Super Bowl ratings have increased consistantly over the last decade, and the decade before it."

Doing a couple different things and I lost track. The superbowl ads sell out every year regardless of what's going on because it's the biggest television event of the year. I didn't mean to infer that there was a correlation there, just emphasizing the multi billion dollar industry Goodell has the responsibility to direct and protect.

Broncoholic JS
01-22-2013, 02:05 AM
I really hope our Broncos get included in a story line very soon. I have suspected this for the past few seasons.

What if all of the players were just actors like the WWE?

As long as our Broncos become world champions someday, all of my tears will be worth it.

BroncoFanNC
01-22-2013, 05:01 AM
After "harbaugh brothers" line I meant to to write something like "but would it be the most watched Super Bowl of all time anyway? Super Bowl ratings have increased consistantly over the last decade, and the decade before it."

Doing a couple different things and I lost track. The superbowl ads sell out every year regardless of what's going on because it's the biggest television event of the year. I didn't mean to infer that there was a correlation there, just emphasizing the multi billion dollar industry Goodell has the responsibility to direct and protect.

Ah OK. Makes sense....

flosstein
01-22-2013, 08:07 AM
January 31, 1988 was when I first realized it. Then again on January 28, 1996. The acting was horrible and blatant miscues were too much to not smell something fishy.

Bronco51
01-22-2013, 08:25 AM
After hearing what Tim Brown had to say about Callahan sabotaging their Super Bowl against the Bucs.......it makes one wonder. Very interesting. His interview is somewhere on PFT.

HavoK471
01-22-2013, 01:58 PM
I really hope our Broncos get included in a story line very soon. I have suspected this for the past few seasons.

As long as our Broncos become world champions someday, all of my tears will be worth it.

There are too many players for them to all be actors. Players get recruited to play, not to act.

Unless you start thinking that these highly touted high school and college athletes are only being recruited for their ability to follow a script.

beastlyskronk
01-22-2013, 05:30 PM
After hearing what Tim Brown had to say about Callahan sabotaging their Super Bowl against the Bucs.......it makes one wonder. Very interesting. His interview is somewhere on PFT.

An isolated incident leads to more suspicion about betting on a game rather than a scripted ending.

Rancid
01-22-2013, 07:40 PM
There are too many players for them to all be actors. Players get recruited to play, not to act.

Unless you start thinking that these highly touted high school and college athletes are only being recruited for their ability to follow a script.

They all do not have to be actors. As long as the game match-ups and outcomes are manipulated, what happens during them is just part of the impromptu show. It could all be engineered to make money. I am going to do more research on this, but I could not help wondering how many times the Superbowl included a team from the Northeast (granted Baltimore is mid-Atlantic).

RealBronco
01-22-2013, 10:24 PM
You might just be paying attention to the game a little more and realizing the amount of impact a referee can have on a game. There are more rules, probably more complex rules now that they are using to protect players. More rules means refs have more to do and they start impacting. The rules are changing not the refs.

Who's been doing all the rule changes though? Goodell. Who is really greedy and money hungry? Goodell. Also most of those rules are defensively biased. Even NFL players have called him out on his hypocrisy. Why don't they call the same personal foul or unnecessary roughness penalties on offensive players as they do defensive? It sure doesn't happen as often as the other way around.

It would be interesting to know just how much the replacement refs put a wrinkle in the NFL's ability to quietly fix games through officiating? They had to do a lot of smoothing of the edges while the replacement refs were doing their thing. Maybe they weren't as keen on the NFL and its owners' wishes as far as outcomes go.

Maybe the Green Bay Seattle game was the biggest example of this and the replacement refs were supposed to let Seattle win but it was so painfully obvious that Harris intercepted the ball, they had to make up 15 million excuses as to why that wasn't the case... then Goodell and others had to come out and chastise them to save face and make it look like it was all their fault...

Was any of the above true? Who knows but it makes for a good discussion.

There were better story lines this year than the Harbowl. If it's all about the stories and ratings then we'd be watching a DEN v NYG Superbowl for the next few years

This is a good argument against the fixing of games for sure. Albeit just one in a sea of arguments for. If the NFL fixes as many games as some might thing, then a Manning Bowl surely would've happened a few years ago instead of that Colts-Bears matchup. But maybe they don't want to make themselves look too obvious. Oh what would be a killer story in the Super Bowl? Eli and Peyton head to head in a SB. Yeah but wouldn't people be a little too suspicious? Well maybe... Let's have the Bears win instead...

The only problem with Brown's claim is that Oakland was facing their former HC one year removed from firing him and hadn't changed much of their offense. I remember watching a special on that SB and John Lynch was talking about how Gruden would tell him exactly what Gannon was about to do and then sure enough the next play would play out just as predicted (unless of course that was part of the fix!? :gasp:

But seriously, Gruden built the team he ended up facing. He was going to destroy them, no question.

I know they're not actors because have you seen any of them try to act in a movie? They suck!

Remedy
01-22-2013, 10:33 PM
It's all just part of the matrix. psh.

elecshoc
01-22-2013, 11:32 PM
:laugh: Yeah I converted because of Tim Tebow :laugh:

Charlie Brown
01-22-2013, 11:49 PM

The Brownie was the original emblem of the team.

A Brownie is a mystical elf-like creature that aids around the house.

Hollywood made Brownies somewhat more popular in the film Willow. Brownies were the extremely short race - the guys that where the size of toys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCxEqH7u_iM

http://www.clevelandseniors.com/images/cleveland/browns-mascot.jpg

theMileHighGuy
01-23-2013, 12:03 AM
Ha I didn't know that. They should definitely go back to the Brownies :laugh:

ruksak
01-23-2013, 06:26 AM
Do they make tinfoil hats in orange?

To the OP; You're trying too hard, brother. I'll only say...... that conspiracy theories are purely for entertainment purposes only.

flosstein
01-23-2013, 07:47 AM
The Brownie was the original emblem of the team.

A Brownie is a mystical elf-like creature that aids around the house.

Hollywood made Brownies somewhat more popular in the film Willow. Brownies were the extremely short race - the guys that where the size of toys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCxEqH7u_iM

OT, but I hate that movie to the core! When I was a kid being the shortest kid in school, "Willow" was the funny thing to call me. At least until I rounded up a band of 11 and 12 year old misfits and started taking lunch money and punching any kid that called me "Willow" in the face. Aaahhh, the 80's beautiful times. Sorry, talk of that movie brought back bad Grammar School memories.

100%Broncoholic
01-23-2013, 09:15 AM
I personally think the Browns are involved in movies, because Jim Brown was awesome in The Dirty Dozen!

http://www.empireonline.com/images/features/inglourious-basterds-further-viewing/Dirty-Dozen.jpg

PS, Willow, get the baby!!

RealBronco
01-23-2013, 04:25 PM

Now now Charles, that is most definitely a Keebler Elf... don't even try to pass him off as something else.

;)

Or maybe the Cleveland Browns were in bed with Keebler? Or is it technically the National Biscuit Company? DUN DUN DUN...

orange flavored cookies... (that sounds gross).

Rancid
01-23-2013, 05:13 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZqZpv-bp7R4/T9Cgi1_IY7I/AAAAAAAAD08/lVM5Wt4TNfg/s1600/RAQUEL+N+JIM.jpg

Jim Brown is awesome!

theMileHighGuy
01-23-2013, 05:19 PM
I had an action figure of this thing when I was a kid. And a littler Warwick Davis.

http://deadlymovies.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/two-headed-monster-willow.jpeg?w=480&h=324

I think it was played by Jim Brown.

Broncoholic JS
01-06-2014, 09:12 PM
I didn't know where to post this, so mods please feel free to move it!

BUT....

If this is true, I am going to be so mad!!! This is a legitimate thing to discuss. Some people have already poked at it in a few threads in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

Please don't let it be true!!

VADER72
01-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Well if this turns out the way this guy says, then I'm done watching the NFL.

GoManning
01-06-2014, 09:29 PM
The email was dated on 12/23/13.

If this true, I'm done with the NFL.

Doogansquest
01-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Was it really a surprise when, during the year of 9/11, a (then) group of no names playing for a red-white-and-blue themed team called the "Patriots" won the Super Bowl?

Was it really a surprise when, after a bunch of NFL Yearbook films outlined the greatest champions of NFL history, that the Steelers (featured throughout the diary) won Super Bowl XL? A milestone number after being declared the "greatest franchise in NFL history" the same year?

The cold-streaking Ravens winning the Super Bowl after Ray Ray declares his retirement?

I'm not saying it's fixed, but it's easy to write stories like it is.

L.M.
As one of the comments on that page pointed out:

"What if the Chiefs K made the FG? Chargers would be left out and Steelers would be in the playoffs. Steelers would be the ones destined to the SB? Lol, give me a break. 100% fake. "

The league cannot/did not cause a kicker to miss (before the infamous no-call on the 7men lining up) in the first place.

Doogansquest

"What if the Chiefs K made the FG? Chargers would be left out and Steelers would be in the playoffs. Steelers would be the ones destined to the SB? Lol, give me a break. 100% fake. "

The league cannot/did not cause a kicker to miss (before the infamous no-call on the 7men lining up) in the first place.

They could have paid him to miss, and informed to refs to "let it play" no matter what at the end.

Justblaze2729
01-06-2014, 09:33 PM

They paid the kicker off.

ERoyal248
If the refs make some bad obvious calls like last year, then ok.

But it still comes down to the players executing.

Wont be totally surprised if that happened though.

VADER72
So what was the excuse for the Ravens last year then. Can't tell me it was because 52 was retiring. I'm probably gullible, but this makes me sick and even more worried about Sunday.

Cutler4tw
01-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Just another troll ...

Awesomo 2000
01-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Was it really a surprise when, during the year of 9/11, a (then) group of no names playing for a red-white-and-blue themed team called the "Patriots" won the Super Bowl?

Was it really a surprise when, after a bunch of NFL Yearbook films outlined the greatest champions of NFL history, that the Steelers (featured throughout the diary) won Super Bowl XL? A milestone number after being declared the "greatest franchise in NFL history" the same year?

The cold-streaking Ravens winning the Super Bowl after Ray Ray declares his retirement?

I'm not saying it's fixed, but it's easy to write stories like it is.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Winner winner chicken dinner.

There's really not much more for me to add.

Justblaze2729
01-06-2014, 09:39 PM
If the chargers do win it all you would really have to question things.

ERoyal248
01-06-2014, 09:40 PM
So what was the excuse for the Ravens last year then. Can't tell me it was because 52 was retiring. I'm probably gullible, but this makes me sick and even more worried about Sunday.

Yes, Ray Lewis is one of the best players ever, couldnt ask for a better script.

Doogansquest
01-06-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm trolling too, because it's still entertaining to watch football. Even if it is as fixed as the WWE, it's still fun.

These guys get paid a lot; maybe they have some acting skills too?

L.M.
01-06-2014, 09:41 PM
The email was dated on 12/23/13.

Yet stated that they "squeaked (PAST TENSE) into the playoffs at 9-7" two days before x-mas!? I don't believe it.

Doogansquest
01-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Well, maybe it's in an effort for the NFL to change something about the playoff structure for next year. Maybe this will be the reason they add games to further separate the 8-8 and 9-7 teams. Even though 2 more games and/or more playoff games are 100% bad for the quality of play, the player's health, and any statistical records we want to hold sacred, the NFL doesn't seem to care about any of that if it means 2-4 more weeks of products buying commercial spots on their games.

Broncoholic JS
01-06-2014, 09:43 PM
I posted these comments on the thread where I found the link...

If the Chargers win the Super Bowl I am done. I am tired of the rigging and set ups of sports! My wife and I suspected it last season. If this happens, I will believe that the league is fixed. It will upset me beyond belief. Please don't let it be true!!
48 minutes ago · Like · 4

Might as well call them the NFLWWE. I am a huge WWE fan too, but I KNOW that is predetermined. The league claims it is fair and balanced in calls and what not. Roger Goodell is turning the NFL into a storyline league and I don't like it!!
44 minutes ago · Like

By the way, nobody gives a flying you know what about Ray Lewis retiring last season. Nobody that is, but Roger Goodell. To think that we may have had to aide in that. Kneeling with 2 TIMEOUTS AND A HALL OF FAME QUARTERBACK? WHAT? Sometimes I wonder if the athletes are paid so much to keep their mouth shut about the fixing. Are they paid actors? Knowing where the plays happen at any given moment? Makes me sick just thinking about it!!
42 minutes ago · Like · 2

Also, are injuries faked to provide more merit in the storylines? Like in the WWE, a wrestler is given time off because of a storyline.
40 minutes ago · Like

Goodell must have already promised Manning the title next season. I mean really. Manning isn't one to lay down for someone. But in the WWE it has happened where someone lays down in the ring for another person to win a controversial title. hmmmmmmm
20 minutes ago · Like

Manning will not be satisfied with only one Lombardi in his career.
19 minutes ago · Like

If they come forward and admit to the fixing I will still watch. The fact that they feel the need to lie to me pisses me off!!
11 minutes ago · Like

VADER72
01-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Yes, Ray Lewis is one of the best players ever, couldnt ask for a better script.

But tank a season for one player who already had a ring in his prime? Heck, Peyton should just say he is retiring then.

bgpatsfan
01-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Wouldn't every official have to know about the fix? Seems like there is way too many moving parts to actually fix an entire season, and the playoffs, and the SB. I definitely doubt that it is possible to fix a season to determine the SB winner before the season. So many players in the league that it would be impossible. Was it fixed that Ravens scored on that hail mary to send it to OT? Was it fixed so Peyton would throw that INT in OT? Was it fixed that Ray Rice would convert that 4th and 29 against the chargers that allowed them to win that game and make the playoffs?

Seems almost impossible to me.

super_boltz
01-06-2014, 09:51 PM

Jerome Bettis... The giants... The Chargers.... it is a lil convenient....

Broncoholic JS
01-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Wouldn't every official have to know about the fix? Seems like there is way too many moving parts to actually fix an entire season, and the playoffs, and the SB. I definitely doubt that it is possible to fix a season to determine the SB winner before the season. So many players in the league that it would be impossible. Was it fixed that Ravens scored on that hail mary to send it to OT? Was it fixed so Peyton would throw that INT in OT? Was it fixed that Ray Rice would convert that 4th and 29 against the chargers that allowed them to win that game and make the playoffs?

They could script for YEARS. I mean the Ravens winning it this year. The Chargers being on that play helping them out? I mean the possibilities are endless.

It is possible, very possible.

Broncoholic JS
01-06-2014, 09:53 PM

Sure is, isn't it!?

I don't like your team, but I like your post!

L.M.
01-06-2014, 09:53 PM
If the officiating is as bad as last year's and costs us the game, and continues on SD's path, then I will wonder, but right now this just looks like a Doltfan having fun preying on the numerous, paranoid conspiracy-minded folks out there.

L.M.
01-06-2014, 09:56 PM

Holy crap! I actually agree with a Patsy troll!

LSIGRAD09
01-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Don't like to engage in this stuff..........but it is odd. You have Jeff Triplette reffing for the Chargers Bengals...the worst ref who gifted Cincy a TD against Indy.........perfect crime if they needed a fall guy.

Justblaze2729
01-06-2014, 09:58 PM

It doesn't seem impossible to you that a team would allow a conversion on 4th and 29 after a short dump off pass?

Ray rice was also short but the refs said he got there.

Awesomo 2000
01-06-2014, 10:00 PM
I'm trolling too, because it's still entertaining to watch football. Even if it is as fixed as the WWE, it's still fun.

These guys get paid a lot; maybe they have some acting skills too?

I strongly doubt that the players would be involved. Maybe 1 here or there, but not on a widespread level. Hundreds of players "acting" like they're playing wouldn't be believable for very long :)

I think the games are just "heavily influenced" by reffing. It can still be overcome, but not easily at all.

The entire 2005 postseason was the biggest farce I've ever seen, and I haven't been able to look at the league in the same light since.

Ironically (sort of), it plays a big part in why I dislike Manning so much. During the steelers-colts game, I watched the refs desperately trying to give the colts the game, but through a series of crazy plays/choking/weirdness, the steelers actually won.

The narrative leading up to the super bowl quickly changed to "All About Bettis", and sure enough, the super bowl itself was "influenced" heavily, while all of the Lombardi kissing commercials showed only steelers holding up the trophy. It was a mess.

The "influencing' hasn't been quite as heavy handed since then, but it's still very noticeable, particularly as the post season gets closer and some teams need an "extra hand" to get in.

Broncoholic MS
01-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Is the fix in? Yes.

Rod Bernstine
01-06-2014, 10:06 PM
1997 98 was fixed. Right guys? Rewarding elway for his service by giving him back to back superbowls? Cheating the cap. Look the other way. Right? Or the league only was fixed after that.

Broncoholic JS
01-06-2014, 10:10 PM
We got a new stadium after winning back to back Super Bowls, anyone think of that? I just did. hmmmmmm

VADER72
01-06-2014, 10:11 PM
I want to know why the NFL would let a programmer have this type of information. This secret would be for certain and few executives.

ERoyal248
01-06-2014, 10:11 PM

What was fixed on the Giants SB's?

All i will say is if SD wins and gets some questionable calls their way, i may buy it but we'll see.

Awesomo 2000
01-06-2014, 10:15 PM
We got a new stadium after winning back to back Super Bowls, anyone think of that? I just did. hmmmmmm

Another Ding! Ding! :D

Terrell Davis is still the awesomest ever, though. I don't care what anyone says.

notwithit
01-06-2014, 10:19 PM
I want to know why the NFL would let a programmer have this type of information. This secret would be for certain and few executives.

If you have access to internal code/computers it isn't really ever that hard to get into places you aren't supposed to be...

See: Edward Snowden.

one_bad_55
01-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Another Ding! Ding! :D

Terrell Davis is still the awesomest ever, though. I don't care what anyone says.

Tax payers paid for a lot of the stadium. We had a temporary tax for years to help pay for the new stadium.

Now that I think of it I should have my name on the outside since I paid for part of the stadium.

Pruke
LOL!
What a waste of my time!

super_boltz

All i will say is if SD wins and gets some questionable calls their way, i may buy it but we'll see.

im not saying its true but it makes sense. NFL alway wants new york to win. SD WILL build a stadium if the chargers win it all... just like they built petco park after the world series...

rst08tierney
01-06-2014, 10:22 PM
I have friends who played in the NFL. I have a friend who won a super bowl ring with the Colts. Both laugh at the idea the league is rigged.

L.M.
01-06-2014, 10:23 PM

Right, who are of course with Skull&Bones/Bilderberger/Illuminazis/Area 51 ET's telepathically controlling the government and the NFL!

There's just no way that all of the numerous, aforementioned "moving parts" could maintain such an elaborate hoax and keep it secret.

Broncoholic JS
01-06-2014, 10:24 PM

Someone has to program the graphics for the Super Bowl Champions right?

Broncoholic MS
01-06-2014, 10:24 PM
I have friends who played in the NFL. I have a friend who won a super bowl ring with the Colts. Both laugh at the idea the league is rigged.

But if SD does win it all this year, won't it make you at least question it?

Broncoholic JS
01-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Tax payers paid for a lot of the stadium. We had a temporary tax for years to help pay for the new stadium.

Now that I think of it I should have my name on the outside since I paid for part of the stadium.

It's all about emotions. You get the public emotionally invested. Then BAM NEW STADIUM!!!!

Broncoholic JS
01-06-2014, 10:28 PM

They are also paid off. If they told the truth than they would be sought out by the league. For their safety they blow it off.

Yakka27
01-06-2014, 10:28 PM
Think of all the people who have been fired by the NFL over recent years. You think this is the only guy who would want to get revenge and let out the big "secret?"

GoManning
01-06-2014, 10:29 PM

Metlife Stadium

super_boltz
01-06-2014, 10:31 PM
It doesn't seem impossible to you that a team would allow a conversion on 4th and 29 after a short dump off pass?

Ray rice was also short but the refs said he got there.

true.... very true

one_bad_55
01-06-2014, 10:31 PM
It's all about emotions. You get the public emotionally invested. Then BAM NEW STADIUM!!!!

I like how you worded that......BAM!!!! That does have a nice ring to it. BAM!!! :D

rst08tierney
01-06-2014, 10:32 PM
But if SD does win it all this year, won't it make you at least question it?

Sandiego won't make it out of Denver with their dignity let alone a win. Their season ends Sunday.

This new urban legend will die with it. Think about it. Everyone now knows of the fix. The league would be called out and tarnished.

notwithit
01-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Right, who are of course with Skull&Bones/Bilderberger/Illuminazis/Area 51 ET's telepathically controlling the government and the NFL!

There's just no way that all of the numerous, aforementioned "moving parts" could maintain such an elaborate hoax and keep it secret.

Just like how the NSA isn't spying on every facet of your life.. right?

I just watched the calls in the SEA vs PITT game again... Man... What ticky tack calls. That game made me so mad... Still does. Almost as much as the Ravens game last year.

bgpatsfan
01-06-2014, 10:33 PM
All 32 owners would need to be in on it if the league was fixed; do you think owners of losing franchises would like being passed over as champions? Some players would have to be in on it as well; hundreds of players in the league, so much roster turnover there is no way it would still be a secret. Too many crazy bounces to fix a game or key plays like the ravens last year (if Ray Rice didn't convert that 4th and 29 vs the Chargers they would have missed the playoffs and the hail mary against denver). Bottom line, the league is most certainly not fixed.

The reason you think of all those headlines is because they become sensationalized by the media! If a great player is going out and has never won it before, the media will instantly latch onto it. There will always be story lines that are fabricated by the media.

bgpatsfan
01-06-2014, 10:36 PM

I just watched the calls in the SEA vs PITT game again... Man... What ticky tack calls. That game made me so mad... Still does. Almost as much as the Ravens game last year.

Lol NSA isn't spying on every facet of your life. If you bothered to stay current with the news, they collect the data but do not review it unless there is a reason to (ie crimes, connections to terrorism, etc.). They don't have enough manpower to sift through everyone in the US's personal lives.

Broncoholic JS
01-06-2014, 10:37 PM
Think of all the people who have been fired by the NFL over recent years. You think this is the only guy who would want to get revenge and let out the big "secret?"

It is why it is posted as "Anonymous"

RunYouOver
01-06-2014, 10:38 PM
I can't even begin to tell you all how embarrassed I am for fans if they truly believe this. Honestly, the fact that so many of our fans could believe this is downright embarrassing.

Why don't we use LOGIC for a second. This quote, for example. Oh yeah, this ONE guy lets out the NFL's big secret. All these other people have always known, but suddenly ONE guy breaks the secret now :rolleyes:

Let's continue to break this down like logical people and not conspiracy theorists who thrive off big drama. In order to fix a game in the NFL, what would need to happen? The refs would need to be in on it, sure, but they can't do it alone. As it's been said, that missed FG? The refs may not have called a penalty, but if that goes in, it's game over.

"Oh but they could have paid the kicker!" REALLY?!?!? That means that PLAYERS know the game is fixed. And you're telling me, with all these REAL injuries, because yes, people dying from brain injuries, players getting broken legs and other life threatening injuries, these things are REAL...you're telling me in ALL this time of playing, these players knew they could get hurt, and if the league decided they weren't going to win, they were OK with that because they'd get paid? And NO ONE would ever blow the whistle on it?

Unbelievable, really. That's the thing about a conspiracy, you can twist the facts to prove exactly what you want. Oh yeah, the league wanted the Giants to beat the Patriots in 2007, that's why David Tyree made the most improbable catch ever. The league wanted the Ravens last year, that's why we had COUNTLESS opportunities to win, but a hail mary cost us. Everyone was on the same page in allowing that hail mary to happen, and everyone was OK with it.

Here's one...why would ANY former players BET on games, if they knew the games were fixed? Because former players bet all the time, and LOSE too. So there goes the argument of they already know who wins.

Seriously, the refs can have a small impact on the game, but the game comes down to players, and if you're going to try to convince me that they're all on the same page, or that a select few are given a "script" they have to follow, I'll just laugh at you. Athletes aren't perfect, you can't script half the stuff that happens in these games, and anyone who believes that the NFL is fixed is just upset because things haven't gone their way. Basketball, the refs can have a MUCH bigger impact in a close game. Football? Yes, a holding or PI call can have a big impact, but even that hasn't ever singlehandedly swung a big game. The Steelers TD catch in the SB against the Cardinals? Holmes couldn't make that catch again in 10 tries in that scenario.

Give me a break.

Broncoholic JS
01-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Sandiego won't make it out of Denver with their dignity let alone a win. Their season ends Sunday.

This new urban legend will die with it. Think about it. Everyone now knows of the fix. The league would be called out and tarnished.

Good, than we as the 12th man have done our jobs!!

We are supposed to help our team right?

This is the way we do it!!

Awesomo 2000
01-06-2014, 10:39 PM

The circumstances are a little suspicious, even though some programmers can "accidentally" bump into info they're not supposed to. But the only other people who would legitimately need to know of this info would be reffing crews, upper upper management, and maybe an occasional player or coach here and there.

This email, on its own, wouldn't do much to convince me, either way. I already had suspicions, starting from 2005, and this just kinda supports something I already suspect. The cheesed up story lines and "publicly supported" new stadiums just add more to the suspicion.

Broncoholic MS
01-06-2014, 10:40 PM

Money talks... so that these people wont.

L.M.
01-06-2014, 10:41 PM

Not just them! Reptoids from Alpha Draconis, Zetar Reticuli ( the Greys), Wal-Mart, and two ex gf's -they are the worst!!

L.M.
01-06-2014, 10:42 PM
I can't even begin to tell you all how embarrassed I am for you if you truly believe this. Honestly, the fact that so many of our fans could believe this is downright embarrassing.

Why don't we use LOGIC for a second. This quote, for example. Oh yeah, this ONE guy lets out the NFL's big secret. All these other people have always known, but suddenly ONE guy breaks the secret now :rolleyes:

Let's continue to break this down like logical people and not conspiracy theorists who thrive off big drama. In order to fix a game in the NFL, what would need to happen? The refs would need to be in on it, sure, but they can't do it alone. As it's been said, that missed FG? The refs may not have called a penalty, but if that goes in, it's game over.

"Oh but they could have paid the kicker!" REALLY?!?!? That means that PLAYERS know the game is fixed. And you're telling me, with all these REAL injuries, because yes, people dying from brain injuries, players getting broken legs and other life threatening injuries, these things are REAL...you're telling me in ALL this time of playing, these players knew they could get hurt, and if the league decided they weren't going to win, they were OK with that because they'd get paid? And NO ONE would ever blow the whistle on it?

Unbelievable, really. That's the thing about a conspiracy, you can twist the facts to prove exactly what you want. Oh yeah, the league wanted the Giants to beat the Patriots in 2007, that's why David Tyree made the most improbable catch ever. The league wanted the Ravens last year, that's why we had COUNTLESS opportunities to win, but a hail mary cost us. Everyone was on the same page in allowing that hail mary to happen, and everyone was OK with it.

Here's one...why would ANY former players BET on games, if they knew the games were fixed? Because former players bet all the time, and LOSE too. So there goes the argument of they already know who wins.

Seriously, the refs can have a small impact on the game, but the game comes down to players, and if you're going to try to convince me that they're all on the same page, or that a select few are given a "script" they have to follow, I'll just laugh at you. Athletes aren't perfect, you can't script half the stuff that happens in these games, and anyone who believes that the NFL is fixed is just upset because things haven't gone their way. Basketball, the refs can have a MUCH bigger impact in a close game. Football? Yes, a holding or PI call can have a big impact, but even that hasn't ever singlehandedly swung a big game. The Steelers TD catch in the SB against the Cardinals? Holmes couldn't make that catch again in 10 tries in that scenario.

Give me a break.

Well said, RYO!

Broncoholic JS
01-06-2014, 10:44 PM
All 32 owners would need to be in on it if the league was fixed; do you think owners of losing franchises would like being passed over as champions? Some players would have to be in on it as well; hundreds of players in the league, so much roster turnover there is no way it would still be a secret. Too many crazy bounces to fix a game or key plays like the ravens last year (if Ray Rice didn't convert that 4th and 29 vs the Chargers they would have missed the playoffs and the hail mary against denver). Bottom line, the league is most certainly not fixed.

The reason you think of all those headlines is because they become sensationalized by the media! If a great player is going out and has never won it before, the media will instantly latch onto it. There will always be story lines that are fabricated by the media.

It's all about the money, money, money.

Broncoholic MS
01-06-2014, 10:48 PM
The NFL is a business... What is the main goal of any business? To make money. They will do everything it takes to create storylines and make more money. Last year had "fixed" written all over it.

Maybe it is a little far fetched for some to believe that the NFL is completely fixed and everyone is in on the fixing....but with the storylines (especially recently) one has to believe that it is fixed to some, at least (small) degree.

notwithit
01-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Lol NSA isn't spying on every facet of your life. If you bothered to stay current with the news, they collect the data but do not review it unless there is a reason to (ie crimes, connections to terrorism, etc.). They don't have enough manpower to sift through everyone in the US's personal lives.

You don't need to have manpower to quantify and sift data. Simply a good algorhythm. If you think they're throwing away the data after their computer programs sift it, I've got a condo to sell you in tahiti.

VADER72
01-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Maybe Peyton is on this with the NFL. The commish gets him a ring and a ton of records in exchange to be titled a choker in the playoffs so other teams get a new stadium. Peyton is our internal enemy, let's get him!!

notwithit
01-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Not just them! Reptoids from Alpha Draconis, Zetar Reticuli ( the Greys), Wal-Mart, and two ex gf's -they are the worst!!

Lol. Obviously you're taking it to the extreme. I don't care whether the NFL is fixed or not and know that it probably isn't. I do care whether or not the NSA is watching me.

bgpatsfan
01-06-2014, 10:53 PM
You don't need to have manpower to quantify and sift data. Simply a good algorhythm. If you think they're throwing away the data after their computer programs sift it, I've got a condo to sell you in tahiti.

I bet they throw away data after they sift through it and determine you are not a "person of interest" or suspected of any wrong doing. They have to monitor the ENTIRE WORLD not just people in the US. Plus a federal judge ruled that the means they use to review the data is constitutional so there is that.

01-06-2014, 10:54 PM
I've been skeptical ever since the Pats won after 9/11. The loss to yhe Ravens last year only added to my skepticism. The NFL is a business, the league wants more games, call that more revenue. Do ratings come into play? You bet they do! Here is my post after last years loss:

Although we didn't play a perfect game by any means, we played good enough to beat this ravens team. The zebras handed this game to the ravens, 18 penalties! The no calls on holding by the ravens were even more frustrating. It's hard enough to win in this league, even harder when you have to battle the officiating crew as well as your opponent. What the hell is up with tucker practicing FG's on the field? BAHHH whatever, it all makes for a great story right. The passing of art modell, ray lewis retiring, capped off by the harbaugh bowl. Is this a don king production? I call shenanigans!
LINK---> http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?219780-We-can-t-blame-the-refs&p=4650030&highlight=#post4650030

I'd like to think that this is all nonsense, but is the Bolts win it all, the wonder continues. Someone mentioned the WWE. Isn't Ric Flair visiting the 49ers?

Awesomo 2000
The NFL is a business... What is the main goal of any business? To make money. They will do everything it takes to create storylines and make more money. Last year had "fixed" written all over it.

Maybe it is a little far fetched for some to believe that the NFL is completely fixed and everyone is in on the fixing....but with the storylines (especially recently) one has to believe that it is fixed to some, at least (small) degree.

This is why I think that "fixed" is too strong a term. "Heavily Influenced" is what I prefer to call it :)

All it takes is a few holding calls here and there, and maybe even a late phantom PI call if you really need to give the team a hand.

Does anybody else here remember watching the 2005 post season games that didn't notice the bizarre and extremely one sided calls going on in almost every single game? The super bowl was influenced something awful, but some of the playoff games before it were even worse. The pole a lamu interception against the colts overturned after the replay review? Just one small example in a sea of terribadawful calls.

Broncoholic MS
Lest we forget the LOW VIEWERSHIP because of a blow out Super Bowl last time and the convenient "power outage". It lasted so long that people were splattering it on social media and it made people turn over to the game. The lights came back on and the comeback started. That kept people watching a game where advertising costs about $2 Million per spot. Again, follow the $$$$.

Broncoholic JS
01-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Hey everyone, please stay on topic!!!

VADER72
01-06-2014, 11:20 PM
Thanks Peanut!!

Awesomo 2000
01-06-2014, 11:21 PM
Hey everyone, please stay on topic!!!

Topic? What topic?! I don't remember any topic...

And why can't I remember anything from the last half hour?!?

I think somebody messed with my brain thinky remember thingies!!

WHERE AM I?!?!?!

RunYouOver
01-06-2014, 11:21 PM

Again, you couldn't be more wrong here, I'm sorry. You know what the ultimate goal of the NFL is? To continue to make money for a long time. No one in their right mind would risk fixing games, as it'd permanently cripple the sport. The NFL makes plenty of money on their own, mainly because they can manufacture story lines out of any match up. It's not the other way around. They don't create the match up with the story lines, they find the story within the matchup. We can play this game easily with ANY match up. You give me two teams in a super bowl and I'll tell you why it'd benefit the league to have them win. EVERY scenario, the NFL wins. Unlike other sports where small-market teams are a disaster for a World Series or NBA championship, the NFL isn't prone to that kind of weakness. No matter what, the whole country is tuning in. No matter what, they can find a story to pump out, and no matter what, everyone makes a ton of money.

I know a thing or two about how the industry works and know quite a few people on the inside. If you think there's truly a fix going on, you're foolishly, foolishly wrong.

FL BRONCO
01-06-2014, 11:26 PM
Oh man what happen to EM's men in black post I lmao at that . That was the most entertaining post of the thread. :confused: OR WAS IT?

Broncoholic MS
01-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Again, you couldn't be more wrong here, I'm sorry. You know what the ultimate goal of the NFL is? To continue to make money for a long time. No one in their right mind would risk fixing games, as it'd permanently cripple the sport. The NFL makes plenty of money on their own, mainly because they can manufacture story lines out of any match up. It's not the other way around. They don't create the match up with the story lines, they find the story within the matchup. We can play this game easily with ANY match up. You give me two teams in a super bowl and I'll tell you why it'd benefit the league to have them win. EVERY scenario, the NFL wins. Unlike other sports where small-market teams are a disaster for a World Series or NBA championship, the NFL isn't prone to that kind of weakness. No matter what, the whole country is tuning in. No matter what, they can find a story to pump out, and no matter what, everyone makes a ton of money.

I know a thing or two about how the industry works and know quite a few people on the inside. If you think there's truly a fix going on, you're foolishly, foolishly wrong.

The NBA had some rigging going on... who's to say the NFL doesnt have the same?

VADER72
01-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Come on RYO, spill the beans. You know something. :p

OrangeCrush_304
01-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Ok now I know why the thread was deleted... Bad language... My bad

Love you Broncos Country <3

Broncoholic JS
01-06-2014, 11:32 PM
The Rockies in 2007 are a prime example. Red Sox won the WS 3 years prior. Why couldn't Bud Selig let the Rockies have the glory? I mean really? Did he have his nose that far in Fenway that he wanted the Sox to win?

Nuggets in 2009, meet the Lakers in the WCF.

Lather.

Rinse.

Repeat.

L.M.
01-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Lol. Obviously you're taking it to the extreme. I don't care whether the NFL is fixed or not and know that it probably isn't. I do care whether or not the NSA is watching me.

But you don't care that my exgfs are watching me? That's insensitive.

The NFL is definitely not fixed, it's impossible to control outcomes with so many variables and people involved. Influenced a little through dubious officiating... maybe there's a possibility for that. But, rather than covert, storyline-driven, financial agendas, I'm more inclined to think that many of the officials just plain SUCK!

dandaman23
01-06-2014, 11:40 PM
The NFL is definitely fixed. If it wasn't the Broncos would have at least 10 more SB titles.

RunYouOver
01-06-2014, 11:41 PM
The NBA had some rigging going on... who's to say the NFL doesnt have the same?

Me :D

And hey, let's say word of this gets out to the NFL this week...they'll scramble to prove it wrong by canceling their choice winner and leading the Broncos to a Super Bowl instead. Peyton Manning proving the critics wrong and winning with Elway. And just to make things interesting, they'll make sure it's snowing (not too heavy but not too light...just right), so that Manning can not only win a Super Bowl, but win one in the cold snow!

Then next year's storyline is if Peyton can repeat what Elway did, and win back-to-back and then retire. And of course he will. And we'll all live happily ever after.

:D

Papa-pwn
01-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Not saying I believe in the conspiracy but..

What if it's just the refs that are in on the fix? The players and coaches all believe they're playing a fair game, but they'll lose if the refs really want them to.

This could be why the league has kept changing the rules so much to benefit offensive players. It makes it easier for the refs to dictate a game. They could already call/miss extra holding calls, and place the ball a little short or further. Now they can call, or not call, PI really whenever they want. Same thing with defenseless receivers and hits to the QB. When they call the fouls, everyone accepts it as the new more offense-oriented rules. When they don't call the foul, sweet they're letting them play!

If the league wants a specific team to win, they just sprinkle in a few of these calls, make sure the ball placement is a little more favorable, "accidentally" don't see the opposing team getting held, and boom their team would have to TRY to lose.

And if it comes down to a kick, like the chargers/chiefs, I bet the league would be sweating. But there are countless NFL representatives all over the sideline. One could easily go over to Succop "hey, $100000 to miss this. You still get into the playoffs, you lose nothing. Just miss." Kickers nowadays are exceptionally accurate and can miss close if they choose.

Now this isn't to say every game goes the way the league would want. The coaches and players play to win, and sometimes they'll overcome the fix. If a team just really outplays another, no amount of officiating slights will change the win.

Again, not saying I believe the NFL is fixed, but it could be doable..

Broncoholic JS
01-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Well said Papa-pwn!!!

L.M.
01-06-2014, 11:57 PM

What if it's just the refs that are in on the fix? The players and coaches all believe they're playing a fair game, but they'll lose if the refs really want them to.

This could be why the league has kept changing the rules so much to benefit offensive players. It makes it easier for the refs to dictate a game. They could already call/miss extra holding calls, and place the ball a little short or further. Now they can call, or not call, PI really whenever they want. Same thing with defenseless receivers and hits to the QB. When they call the fouls, everyone accepts it as the new more offense-oriented rules. When they don't call the foul, sweet they're letting them play!

If the league wants a specific team to win, they just sprinkle in a few of these calls, make sure the ball placement is a little more favorable, "accidentally" don't see the opposing team getting held, and boom their team would have to TRY to lose.

And if it comes down to a kick, like the chargers/chiefs, I bet the league would be sweating. But there are countless NFL representatives all over the sideline. One could easily go over to Succop "hey, $100000 to miss this. You still get into the playoffs, you lose nothing. Just miss." Kickers nowadays are exceptionally accurate and can miss close if they choose.

Now this isn't to say every game goes the way the league would want. The coaches and players play to win, and sometimes they'll overcome the fix. If a team just really outplays another, no amount of officiating slights will change the win.

So the officiating crews would have to keep this all secret, they would each have to know when to make bogus calls and when to make legit calls to maintain the illusion that they are being fair? This would require a continuously perfect performance from them, and no one does their job perfectly 100% of the time.

What if the bribe on a player doesn't work and the player decides to expose it to the press, or are we surmising that this comes with a mafia threat on the guy's family too if he talks? It's all just too inconceivable.

mozzerpete
01-06-2014, 11:58 PM

I could have not written a better post.

I stopped watching the WWF when I discovered it was fixed.

If I want to watch a scripted drama then I will just watch episodes of:
Grey's Anatomy, Orange is the New Black, or House of Cards .

Gosh to think about the tens of thousands of dollars I have spent
over the years on the NFL/Broncos ie merchandise, travel and tickets to games,
DirecTV subscriptions, but more importantly the time/emotion
involved…ugh, I hope it is not fixed!

EddieMac
01-07-2014, 12:05 AM
The NFL is all faked...here is how to spot at least some of it:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s526x395/1515039_10201377242535064_2029325795_n.jpg

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 12:06 AM
So the officiating crews would have to keep this all secret, they would each have to know when to make bogus calls and when to make legit calls to maintain the illusion that they are being fair? This would require a continuously perfect performance from them, and no one does their job perfectly 100% of the time.

What if the bribe on a player doesn't work and the player decides to expose it to the press, or are we surmising that this comes with a mafia threat on the guy's family too if he talks? It's all just too inconceivable.

Not really a perfect performance from the refs, just a bit of extra help for one team.. Goodell phones in, "I want the Chargers to win" and the refs accidentally miss a few Chargers holding, they call an extra holding they would have "missed" on the Broncos. They spot the Chargers' ball a liiittle further than it actually went. Don't call an obvious PI against SD. Not a perfectly orchestrated act, but just little things to help whenever they can.

Like I said, the fix could fail. The NFL wants the public to believe the league is perfectly fair. If their dream scenario doesn't play out, oh well, the league goes on. They could just have a preferred SB winner, and do what they can to make it happen. They really lose nothing if it fails, and try again next year, again while not being too obvious.

Again, why this "leaking" could cause the chargers to lose. The NFL undoubtably would hear of this and rush to make sure the game looks either as unbiased as possible, or even biased in Denver's favor.

As for the kicker bribe, the NFL is a huge, rich business. I just threw out the random $ amount, but if a business that wealthy wanted something like that to happen for the greater good of the company, it would. They would find a bribe, or threat, great enough to persuade whoever they needed.

Awesomo 2000
01-07-2014, 12:14 AM

Thank you for giving a very clear post that mirrors my thoughts almost exactly :)

This is the most feasible approach to NFL influencing that there is.

When's the last time that refs did anything perfectly? They wouldn't have to do anything perfectly at all to do this kind of scheme. Just give a couple extra holding calls on this team here, a wierd personal "intimidating the offensive player" foul there, if necessary, and see if the "winning" team gains momentum. With the "parity" in the nfl that they're looking for, it just makes it even easier to subtly tip a game. If you really need a huge momentum shift, you've always got the good ol' phantom PI to fall back on.

I think the perfect example of the refs not doing this "100% right" goes back to 2005 (again), when the refs were extremely heavy handed in who they were trying to help win. There was absolutely no shame or subtlety in the way the refs were trying to steer those games. There were some public statements by players complaining about it, and everybody watched that terrible super bowl.

After that season, I'd be pretty sure that they learned their lesson on subtlety. The fact that so few people even mention that awful post season officiating just shows how easy it would be to pull the wool over peoples' eyes.

Even if you don't believe that post season was rigged, the fact that such terrible officiating occured with almost no controversy should show just how easy it could be, to pull off a fix.

L.M.
01-07-2014, 12:16 AM
Like I said, the fix could fail. The NFL wants the public to believe the league is perfectly fair. If their dream scenario doesn't play out, oh well, the league goes on. They could just have a preferred SB winner, and do what they can to make it happen. They really lose nothing if it fails, and try again next year, again while not being too obvious.

Again, why this "leaking" could cause the chargers to lose. The NFL undoubtably would hear of this and rush to make sure the game looks either as unbiased as possible, or even biased in Denver's favor.

As for the kicker bribe, the NFL is a huge, rich business. I just threw out the random $ amount, but if a business that wealthy wanted something like that to happen for the greater good of the company, it would. They would find a bribe, or threat, great enough to persuade whoever they needed.

OK so you believe the League may be akin to the Mafia and would use violence and killing to coerce unwilling or honest players and staff? And ALL of the officials are unethical, corrupt hucksters perpetrating this grand hoax for lots of money? And such an elaborate hoax has NO guarantee on whether it would even work!? Essentially paying out x millions in bribes to create a scenario ostensibly for just a little more profit?! Seriously?!

bronx_2003
01-07-2014, 12:16 AM
I can't even begin to tell you all how embarrassed I am for fans if they truly believe this. Honestly, the fact that so many of our fans could believe this is downright embarrassing.

This.

This thread is the biggest load of bull I have ever read.

So no one out of thousands of players and coaches have any integrity. Belicheck, Fox, Coughlin have zero integrity.

The KC kicker got his kick just the other side of the post with amazing accuracy.

So the biggest markets in the US... Dallas and New York are not in the playoffs

After Denver knock SD out Sunday I hope some of you will realize how embarrassing you made yourselves sound in this thread

Broncoholic JS
01-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Some very valid points above that I could have written myself. My own words through other people! WOW!! It's like you get it and are actually agreeing with me! Thanks for having an open mind!

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Possibly related, or it may mean nothing, but the last week or so I've seen a lot of adds for Chargers merchandise on my Facebook

EddieMac
01-07-2014, 12:19 AM
This.

So no one out of thousands of players and coaches have any integrity. Belicheck, Fox, Coughlin have zero integrity.

The KC kicker got his kick just the other side of the post with amazing accuracy.

After Denver knock SD out Sunday I hope some of you will realize how embarrassing you made yourselves sound in this thread

Belicheck might not be the best example here :laugh:

Broncoholic JS
This.

That is the point. With the awareness and force of the 12th man we want to be embarrassed! I would do anything to help our Broncos win!! So if it helps so be it! LOL

bronx_2003
Plus refereeing a game is damn hard, especially at that pace. Humans will make mistakes.

I think the Refs have done a really good job this season and the first round of playoffs were very good. They let them play which was good to see.

America and their love for a good conspiracy lol, we have some really poor red card and penalty decisions in football, but that doesn't mean its all fixed :)

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 12:20 AM
This.

Lol you guys are taking this way too seriously. It's fun to speculate and endulge in fantastical ideas.

Whether you actually believe in something or not, "what if" conversations are quite entertaining, lighten up and give me a shot. There's nothing embarrassing about that

Broncoholic JS
01-07-2014, 12:20 AM

Well played, well played indeed!

bronx_2003
01-07-2014, 12:21 AM
That is the point. With the awareness and force of the 12th man we want to be embarrassed! I would do anything to help our Broncos win!! So if it helps so be it! LOL

Yeah don't mean to call anyone out cause we are all Bronco fans but some people need a reality check.

Just hope when Denver wins Sunday and knock SD out this gets put to bed lol

bronx_2003
01-07-2014, 12:22 AM
Lol you guys are taking this way too seriously. It's fun to speculate and endulge in fantastical ideas.

Whether you actually believe in something or not, "what if" conversations are quite entertaining, lighten up and give me a shot. There's nothing embarrassing about that

If people were just playing about then I agree. If anyone seriously thinks the league is fixed and the NFL have a ten year script then they need to come back down to planet earth

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 12:22 AM
OK so you believe the League may be akin to the Mafia and would use violence and killing to coerce unwilling or honest players and staff? And ALL of the officials are unethical, corrupt hucksters perpetrating this grand hoax for lots of money? And such an elaborate hoax has NO guarantee on whether it would even work!? Essentially paying out x millions in bribes to create a scenario ostensibly for just a little more profit?! Seriously?!

No lol I don't believe the league is fixed. It's just fun to talk about how it could be.

Just like it's fun to talk about how aliens could have came, or Bigfoot could be real, or I could win the lottery, or anything really near impossible.

Awesomo 2000
01-07-2014, 12:26 AM
Possibly related, or it may mean nothing, but the last week or so I've seen a lot of adds for Chargers merchandise on my Facebook

You just got marketed by the MetaData. The NSA's googlebot got to you, man. Now we all know that you're really a closet charger fan :)

The MetaData sees all and knows all.

GoManning
01-07-2014, 12:26 AM
Hope this fixing info gets rolling in twitter.

L.M.
01-07-2014, 12:27 AM

You beat me to it! :)

bronx_2003
01-07-2014, 12:30 AM
Wow ! Belicheck just spotted outside Dove Valley in a clever disguise.....................

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/Bratislava_Bronze_Paparazzo.jpg

bronx_2003
01-07-2014, 12:32 AM

I hope that when Denver win Sunday all this goes away.

Trying to put a black mark on a game people love is very distasteful IMO. I don't want this rubbish on twitter or nfl.com taking up time that should be spent on proper playoff discussions.

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 12:33 AM
You just got marketed by the MetaData. The NSA's googlebot got to you, man. Now we all know that you're really a closet charger fan :)

The MetaData sees all and knows all.

I do spend a lot of time lurking on Chargers' message boards..

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 12:34 AM

Trying to put a black mark on a game people love is very distasteful IMO. I don't want this rubbish on twitter or nfl.com taking up time that should be spent on proper playoff discussions.

Well no matter what it'll never get on nfl.com

Awesomo 2000
01-07-2014, 12:34 AM
Yeah don't mean to call anyone out cause we are all Bronco fans but some people need a reality check.

Just hope when Denver wins Sunday and knock SD out this gets put to bed lol

But now... now that the info's out there, man... they have to change it.

Now they're going to make the Broncos win, because we know that this guy knew from his job that another guy said the games were rigged. Now they have to go back and retroactively correct their season narrative to properly reflect these new developments :P

Or... they knew that we were going to know about what that guy knows they did, so they'll just leave it stand, and we'll be forced to call it 'coincidence'... absolutely genious!

This conspiracy cannot fail! :P

I'm having fun here, at least, even if it's only to amuse myself.

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 12:35 AM

theOrangePage has got on it, it'll only blow up from here.. ESPN will be talking about it tomorrow 😈

Broncoholic MS

Nobody is putting a black mark on the NFL. We all deserve the truth, and I think some people need to open their eyes if they don't think the NFL is fixed to some at least (small) degree.

Broncoholic JS

I hope not either. If you look at my original post I say "Please let it not be true"

Broncoholic JS
Nobody is putting a black mark on the NFL. We all deserve the truth, and I think some people need to open their eyes if they don't think the NFL is fixed to some at least (small) degree.

Precisely!!

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 12:38 AM

For all we know the mob could very well be involved. They make a biiiit of money off of sports betting. It only helps them to know who will win in exchange for their services, uh, "persuading" a few players/people to make sure the game goes the way they want.

bronx_2003
01-07-2014, 12:46 AM
This guy seems like a complete loser trying to generate self hype. I looked at his web page, some quotes -

Did you catch the PBS Frontline documentary League of Denial about brain injuries in the NFL? If not, watch it here. Then realize because of this, and the resultant class-action lawsuit filed by affected players, the NFL you know and love is going to cease to exist in the matter of a decade.

The Fix Is In was on vacation and attempted to avoid all things electronic as well as all things sports. Boy, was it nice.

But if it's any consolation, here's my Super Bowl pick:

The Lions to win it all. And you can see, I put my money where my mouth is.

The only really shocking thing this week was the Saints inability to keep up with the Seahawks on Monday night.

Should I tweet after every NFL play like some people? Um....no. I don't think so. There's more to life than this.

Are the announcers setting Phil Dawson up to fail or what? ............ Nevermind. Dawson made it.

He just seems to have an axe to grind, a very bitter little (man)

bronx_2003
01-07-2014, 12:48 AM

I think some people have been watching too much Jerry Springer

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 12:49 AM
This guy seems like a complete loser trying to generate self hype. I looked at his web page, some quotes -

Did you catch the PBS Frontline documentary League of Denial about brain injuries in the NFL? If not, watch it here. Then realize because of this, and the resultant class-action lawsuit filed by affected players, the NFL you know and love is going to cease to exist in the matter of a decade.

The Fix Is In was on vacation and attempted to avoid all things electronic as well as all things sports. Boy, was it nice.

But if it's any consolation, here's my Super Bowl pick:

The Lions to win it all. And you can see, I put my money where my mouth is.

The only really shocking thing this week was the Saints inability to keep up with the Seahawks on Monday night.

Should I tweet after every NFL play like some people? Um....no. I don't think so. There's more to life than this.

Are the announcers setting Phil Dawson up to fail or what? ............ Nevermind. Dawson made it.

He just seems to have an axe to grind, a very bitter little (man)

What guy? The original statement was on 4chan. He was anon. How would you know who an anon is?

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 12:51 AM
Lol we're not talking about the fix is in like it's a website. We're talking about a conspiracy that was linked about a disgruntled, fired NFL employee and what he said anonymously. That would be the fix, and it's in. Not a website lol

Broncoholic JS
01-07-2014, 12:52 AM
theOrangePage has got on it, it'll only blow up from here.. ESPN will be talking about it tomorrow ��

It is slowly getting some legs on more twitter accounts!

L.M.
01-07-2014, 12:52 AM
For all we know the mob could very well be involved.

For all we know the NSA or even the Cylon Empire could be involved in some way. I just feel like we're excluding a host of other interesting possibilities. But I do love DeNiro and Pacino movies so I feel torn right now, and I am a "mobster" (of sorts) so I can't help but have a slight bias there too.

bronx_2003
01-07-2014, 12:56 AM
What guy? The original statement was on 4chan. He was anon. How would you know who an anon is?

If you google 'the fix is in' the first result is some guy with a web page and book entitled exactly that and its about the NFL.

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 01:01 AM
If you google 'the fix is in' the first result is some guy with a web page and book entitled exactly that and its about the NFL.

Yeah that's not what we're talking about. "The fix is in" was just a clever title. We're talking about an anonymous person who claims to have been laid off on or before the 23rd of December, and as such was upset with the NFL for doing so right before the holidays. He decided to anonymously "leak" the league's plan for this season. He was a programmer, and even though someone in his position shouldn't be in the know of such information, he also had the power to find out for himself. He claimed that the Chargers have been the NFL's pick for this SB winner since May. They are supposed to play and beat the Seahawks in order to get the Chargers more local support and allow them to build a new stadium, increasing league popularity and revenue, and being a nice Cinderella story for the league. He posted all this information on the 23rd of September.

He says a bit more, I was paraphrasing, the link was removed however as the original included profanity.

bronx_2003
01-07-2014, 01:07 AM
To not believe everything or everyone you read on the internet, people are not always telling the truth...... as Teo found out lol

Anyway, people need to put their money where their mouth is so to speak.

Is the NFL fixed ? So the Chargers are the pick and will win on Sunday, ok...............

I will say the NFL is NOT fixed, and the Chargers will lose Sunday

Fixed or not fixed ? What side is everyone on ?

Broncoholic JS
01-07-2014, 01:13 AM
I have censored the original photo. With the mods approval, I would like to post it in my original post.

L.M.
01-07-2014, 01:41 AM
No lol I don't believe the league is fixed. It's just fun to talk about how it could be.

Just like it's fun to talk about how aliens could have came, or Bigfoot could be real, or I could win the lottery, or anything really near impossible.

Maybe we can laugh at this and I have openly mocked it, but some people are taking this seriously, including a few who commended your post since it articulates and elaborates on their fears in "realistic" detail. And what good does that do? Fanning the flames of fear and doubt about many people's favorite sport, so that some don't even want to watch it anymore and regret buying team gear? Over a rather dubious -and I daresay- ridiculous theory full of holes? And, like nearly every conspiracy theory out there, can't be proven as fact. It's beyond worthless, it' has a negative effect.

Emily Diana
01-07-2014, 01:51 AM
Anyone who believes this nonsense... please send me your playoff tickets. After all, why would you want to go watch a 'fixed' game(s)? I'll gladly take your seat and cheer our Broncos all the way to their SB win! While you're at it, go tell SD the news. They'll play a so-so game against us and we'll beat them by even more than I expected. :)

:logo: GO BRONCOS! :goz:

24SuperChamp
01-07-2014, 01:55 AM
What the heck does it say?!

Rarelyoffended
01-07-2014, 02:24 AM
http://thefixisin.net/legal.html

Rarelyoffended
01-07-2014, 02:36 AM
Did this guy predict ravens would win? I wonder when this article is dated?
http://thefixisin.net/sb47.html

Awesomo 2000
01-07-2014, 03:36 AM
Maybe we can laugh at this and I have openly mocked it, but some people are taking this seriously, including a few who commended your post since it articulates and elaborates on their fears in "realistic" detail. And what good does that do? Fanning the flames of fear and doubt about many people's favorite sport, so that some don't even want to watch it anymore and regret buying team gear? Over a rather dubious -and I daresay- ridiculous theory full of holes? And, like nearly every conspiracy theory out there, can't be proven as fact. It's beyond worthless, it' has a negative effect.

Why so serious?

Everybody loves a good conspiracy, except for the sleeper government agents who try to downplay them, of course.

I believe that the 2005 postseason was basically rigged. It's an opinion that I don't care to prove or harp on too much. I just think that it was. Does the league do that stuff, recently? Maybe..? I don't know. I won't be losing any sleep over it, either way.

But could they? Sure looks like it. A few of us were just trying to explain how easy it could be. It doesn't take hundreds of people, or billions of dollars. Just a few people in the right spots. The players still go out and play. Coaches still coach. The refs can just give them "a little nudge", when needed :)

Boltzfan88
01-07-2014, 03:53 AM
After reading through this thread I really question some of your fans intelligence. I thought we had the most idiots in our fanbase but I was clearly wrong.

bronx_2003
01-07-2014, 03:54 AM
After reading through this thread I really question some of your fans intelligence. I thought we had the most idiots in our fanbase but I was clearly wrong.

Every fanbase has some stupid posts, according to this you will win the SB... congrats ! lol

Justblaze2729
01-07-2014, 04:38 AM
Me :D

And hey, let's say word of this gets out to the NFL this week...they'll scramble to prove it wrong by canceling their choice winner and leading the Broncos to a Super Bowl instead. Peyton Manning proving the critics wrong and winning with Elway. And just to make things interesting, they'll make sure it's snowing (not too heavy but not too light...just right), so that Manning can not only win a Super Bowl, but win one in the cold snow!

Then next year's storyline is if Peyton can repeat what Elway did, and win back-to-back and then retire. And of course he will. And we'll all live happily ever after.

:D

If the chargers win it all would that make you change your mindset a bit ?

Justblaze2729
01-07-2014, 04:45 AM

People would think he's crazy and not believe a word sort of like you and a few others thinking this thread is crazy. I'm assuming there's nothing that would change your mind therefore there's really no risk of the NFL being exposed.

24SuperChamp
01-07-2014, 04:49 AM
Did this guy predict ravens would win? I wonder when this article is dated?
http://thefixisin.net/sb47.html

I didn't see anything that said the Chargers were going to win the SB. Maybe it was a different article.

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 05:16 AM
http://thefixisin.net/legal.html

Yeah that's not what we're talking about. "The fix is in" was just a clever title, not a website lol. We're talking about an anonymous person who claims to have been laid off on or before the 23rd of December, and as such was upset with the NFL for doing so right before the holidays. He decided to anonymously "leak" the league's plan for this season. He was a programmer, and even though someone in his position shouldn't be in the know of such information, he also had the power to find out for himself. He claimed that the Chargers have been the NFL's pick for this SB winner since May. They are supposed to play and beat the Seahawks in order to get the Chargers more local support and allow them to build a new stadium, increasing league popularity and revenue, and being a nice Cinderella story for the league. He posted all this information on the 23rd of September.

He says a bit more, I was paraphrasing, the link was removed however as the original included profanity.

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 05:19 AM

Clearly another person with no sense of wonder. "What if" ideas are always fun to speculate on. Remove the stick, give it a shot, and maybe you'll live passed 50 with the reduced stress. No need to care so much

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 05:28 AM
I have censored the original photo. With the mods approval, I would like to post it in my original post.

If it's censored, should be good to go since that was the only problem with it in the first place!

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 05:31 AM

Well it wasn't really a theory, it's just some guy anonymously claiming to be a laid off NFL employee looking to get back at the company that fired him right before the holidays. He says league determined SB winner in May, and that was Chargers over Seahawks, yadda yadda. Whether or not anyone believes him is purely up to each individual.

Again people need to stop googling "the fix is in" like it means anything lol it was just the thread title. The actual event is what I wrote above and have recounted several times since.

The original link was deleted by mods because there was profanity. Apparently it has since been censored, so I look forward to it being posted again

Charlie Brown
01-07-2014, 06:44 AM

Art Modell died last year.

VADER72
01-07-2014, 06:51 AM
One question I have is why would the NFL purposely want the Chargers in the SB. The SB is a massive money maker and would lose rating for the game. No one would care for a matchup between Seattle and SD. Seattle sure because they are a good team, but SD not so much in most of Americas mind, it would be looked at as a snooze fest.

VADER72
01-07-2014, 06:52 AM
Then by that logic, the Titans should be in.

captainbronco
01-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Dont believe everything you read on the internet especially some random guys Facebook lol

TH3JUICEMAN
01-07-2014, 07:57 AM
I don't know if this is the right thread, but I have this really nice ocean front property in Arizona for sale, anybody interested?

the0rangecrush
01-07-2014, 08:06 AM
I don't know if this is the right thread, but I have this really nice ocean front property in Arizona for sale, anybody interested?

Cash, credit, or pistachios?

ELWAY421
01-07-2014, 08:22 AM
http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p712/timehealsnothing21/3922edf1-f328-40d4-82fc-46a83a03af6d_zpsf956bce9.png?t=1389107666

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/4614636/homer-simpson-stalking-ned-flanders-o.gif

TH3JUICEMAN
01-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Cash, credit, or pistachios?

I prefer pistachios if they're already shucked (sp?)

Hanzo the Razor
01-07-2014, 08:55 AM
If the chargers do win it all you would really have to question things.

I wouldn't question that things were fixed, but I would question the playoff system and how relevant the regular season is.

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 09:08 AM
One question I have is why would the NFL purposely want the Chargers in the SB. The SB is a massive money maker and would lose rating for the game. No one would care for a matchup between Seattle and SD. Seattle sure because they are a good team, but SD not so much in most of Americas mind, it would be looked at as a snooze fest.

Have you not read the original? It's to gain local support so the league can get a new stadium built in SD. There have been several failed attempts but after winning a SB they'd get their stadium, like we got ours

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Dont believe everything you read on the internet especially some random guys Facebook lol

It's not from anyone on facebook

captainbronco
01-07-2014, 10:41 AM
It's not from anyone on facebook

Oh my bad but its still the intetnet

GoManning
01-07-2014, 10:43 AM
I didn't see anything that said the Chargers were going to win the SB. Maybe it was a different article.

You can find it at https://mobile.twitter.com/theorangepage

Can't give you the direct link due to CoC

L.M.
01-07-2014, 10:48 AM
People would think he's crazy and not believe a word sort of like you and a few others thinking this thread is crazy. I'm assuming there's nothing that would change your mind therefore there's really no risk of the NFL being exposed.

Because such a thing would hinge on ME? :laugh:

If a player came forward with evidence of a bribe, the media would be ALL over it (like Spygate) and it would fan many people's doubts into a blaze of conviction -especially fans of teams who have been shorted by bad officiating in the playoffs and you would have a widespread reaction that mirrors this thread which is a microcosm of the effect.

L.M.
01-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Why so serious?

Go back reread all of my posts in this thread and then your own and tell me who's taking this more seriously? :)

Everybody loves a good conspiracy, except for the sleeper government agents who try to downplay them, of course.

Don't presume to speak for "everybody" -I didn't elect you!

Vhailor
01-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Soccer is a huge industry, teams are still fixing games in Italy. Though do I believe it happens in the NFL? Not at all.

Vhailor
01-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Possibly related, or it may mean nothing, but the last week or so I've seen a lot of adds for Chargers merchandise on my FacebookThat's marketing, not proof of a conspiracy.

Vhailor
01-07-2014, 11:19 AM
I don't know if this is the right thread, but I have this really nice ocean front property in Arizona for sale, anybody interested?Me too! Prime location at Arizona Bay.

Broncoholic JS
01-07-2014, 11:21 AM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/johnstar3/crap2.jpg

Here is the photo, I have censored it so it does not violate CoC.

Awesomo 2000
01-07-2014, 11:31 AM

If a player came forward with evidence of a bribe, the media would be ALL over it (like Spygate) and it would fan many people's doubts into a blaze of conviction -especially fans of teams who have been shorted by bad officiating in the playoffs and you would have a widespread reaction that mirrors this thread which is a microcosm of the effect.

NBC/CBS/FOX pay the NFL billions of dollars to broadcast their games.

NBC/CBS/FOX release story which smashes integrity of NFL. Viewership drops by over 50%

Profit! :)

Go back reread all of my posts in this thread and then your own and tell me who's taking this more seriously? :)

Well... you have acted offended by anybody even considering this possibility, so you seem more serious than us "conspiracy nuts".

Don't presume to speak for "everybody" -I didn't elect you!

Then the only logical conclusion is that you're an undercover sleeper agent for the NFL, trying to spread disinformation and false leads.

I will not be fooled again!

L.M.
01-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Well... you have acted offended by anybody even considering this possibility, so you seem more serious than us "conspiracy nuts".

You take the rumor seriously as evidential, I do not, that's the difference. And don't read into my words so much, presumptious one. I haven't been personally offended by any one individual here nor reactive to imagined slights , but I certainly disagree with a few of you, and I have the right to voice that.

Justblaze2729
01-07-2014, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't question that things were fixed, but I would question the playoff system and how relevant the regular season is.

And if they are aided with questionable calls towards that ring?

L.M.
01-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Well it wasn't really a theory, it's just some guy anonymously claiming to be a laid off NFL employee looking to get back at the company that fired him right before the holidays. He says league determined SB winner in May, and that was Chargers over Seahawks, yadda yadda. Whether or not anyone believes him is purely up to each individual.

Yes it IS a conspiracy theory -a jumble of flimsy circumstantial evidence at best, "suspicious" details, fears, and speculation. It didn't even start with that rumor, many here and elsewhere regular believe and have stated that "the League wanted Ray Ray to go out in a blaze of glory" as if it were a given fact, or Awesomo and his 2005 season, etc. For some here, this rumor stands as more incriminating "evidence" to add to the pile of dung which other people have heaped around it in this thread.

And for some of these folks it's ruined the game (over that dubious pile) and that is just messed up. When I noticed that, I stopped laughing here. For others it hasn't gone that far yet but it's nursed their doubts and fueled their suspicions so that their enjoyment of the game is diminished because in the back of their minds they are questioning whether it's even valid anymore. This is not doing anything constructive or positive at all, quite the contrary. Can't you see that at all?

Some people like to wallow in fear, or feed into negativity, or take an almost sadistic pleasure in watching others suffer as they spread malaise and malcontent. I'm not into any of that. I come to Broncos Country to relax and have fun. Thoughts create emotions, the thoughts proferred here feel lousy so if I really wanted that I'd just go hang in a conspiracy nut fest like the "Prison Planet" site instead. Believe whatever you want, I've said my piece and I'm done with this subject and this thread.

Justblaze2729
01-07-2014, 11:50 AM

You really think people would stop watching football? Technically there would be no actual proof even if a player came forward. An NFL associate would literally have to make a statement saying " the league is fixed" otherwise it's just something to talk about, and even then I would continue watching and wait for my team's turn to win it all lol

Anyways all that is irrelevant because I don't believe they pick a super bowl winner before the season. I'm thinking once the playoffs start they pick a team with a Fairytale storyline and help them with certain calls here or there.

Awesomo 2000
01-07-2014, 11:53 AM
You take the rumor seriously as evidential, I do not, that's the difference. And don't read into my words so much, presumptious one. I haven't been personally offended by any one individual here nor reactive to imagined slights , but I certainly disagree with a few of you, and I have the right to voice that.

I take this specific rumor as one slight notch above irrelevant. This is the kind of story that draws out peoples' preconceived responses, whether they're "in favor" of the "conspiracy", or opposed to it.

One email from one supposedly disgruntled worker doesn't really prove much one way or the other. It just gives us opportunity to discuss the idea of it, and mention other evidence for or against it.

My biggest gripe (non-serious, of course :)) is toward the people who absolutely deny the idea that the NFL could have the AUDACITY and greed to "influence" games in order to make hundreds of millions, even billions more dollars. The Humanity!!!

A greedy NFL, which already price gouges everybody to Hades and back, and squeezes every last drop of money they can out of people could not possibly have any interest at all in trying to get more money for themselves!

Poppycock!

(That mentality, to me, seems far more ridiculous than the people who assume that it is possible, or even likely.)

GT Motion
01-07-2014, 12:54 PM
They paid the kicker off.

I hope you don't really believe this. He missed by a tiny margin, that is too risky for a "fix" and the kickers aren't good enough to make it that close but not in. Not only that, it would have been much easier to just help the Chargers get a better record earlier in the season, instead of making it come down to this.

Then, if you want to try and tell me that the NFL rigged the Colts fumble, and made it bounce off a dudes helmet, then into the hands of Andrew Luck so he can jump in for a touchdown, then I will call you crazy, sorry.

I will believe that very rarely maybe a ref gets paid off, but they make good money already, they don't need random payoffs to make bad calls, it is more beneficial for them to make good calls and keep their jobs.

Anyone involved with an NFL game will laugh in your face is you tell him everything they do is an act. Those guys are playing their hearts out every week.

Broncoholic MS
01-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Whether SD wins it all or not, I believe the games are at least partially influenced by the refs. The NFL is a greedy business. Do people really think everything that goes on "behind closed doors" is completely honest?

GT Motion
01-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Whether SD wins it all or not, I believe the games are at least partially influenced by the refs. The NFL is a greedy business. Do people really think everything that goes on "behind closed doors" is completely honest?

Of course there are probably times certain people have told other certain people to influence a certain game in a certain way. To think that the entire NFL organization gets together with the owners and coaches to plan the season like it is WWF is just ridiculous though. There are too many people involved, too many moving parts, it is too hard to script all the things that happen in an NFL season.

Broncoholic JS
01-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Taken from this thread...
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?227102-It-s-not-about-one-team-vs-the-other-it-s-now-one-team-vs-the-other-vs-the-refs&highlight=

I think the NFL has a predetermined outcome and the refs are there to insure that outcome becomes reality.

It hasn't been as of late that people have suspected it.

fightinglee
01-07-2014, 02:46 PM
This is the stupidest thread ever.

// / yardo
01-07-2014, 02:54 PM
I remember in the 80's when WWF (that's what it was back then) fans cursed and belittled people who said Pro Wrestling was... wait for it... FIXED! And FAKE! I remember things like "Why would people watch something that's fake? That's stupid!" or "You're a moron to ever think that. Hulk Hogan would never be a part of it if it were fake!" Even though it was so obvious.

I've expressed my doubts here before about games being fixed or whatever you want to call it. Not so much that it's all a big fix but that there's slight influences here and there. This is a billion dollar industry and the guys up top would be foolish not to exercise some level of "control" to maximize the value of their product. Don't kid yourself. Where there's money to be made you'll find some dishonest and very smart people who are willing to make a few tweaks to make a couple extra dollars. Hey, for decades the NFL told players they would be fine after football. Just suck it up and get right back in there, right?

Becareful when you believe in something so adamantly that you'll turn a blind eye to the truth or possibilities that defy what you believe is the truth. That's usually when you've been fooled.

SBboundBRONCOS
01-07-2014, 02:59 PM
I remember in the 80's when WWF (that's what it was back then) fans cursed and belittled people who said Pro Wrestling was... wait for it... FIXED! And FAKE! I remember things like "Why would people watch something that's fake? That's stupid!" or "You're a moron to ever think that. Hulk Hogan would never be a part of it if it were fake!" Even though it was so obvious.

I've expressed my doubts here before about games being fixed or whatever you want to call it. Not so much that it's all a big fix but that there's slight influences here and there. This is a billion dollar industry and the guys up top would be foolish not to exercise some level of "control" to maximize the value of their product. Don't kid yourself. Where there's money to be made you'll find some dishonest and very smart people who are willing to make a few tweaks to make a couple extra dollars. Hey, for decades the NFL told players they would be fine after football. Just suck it up and get right back in there, right?

Becareful when you believe in something so adamantly that you'll turn a blind eye to the truth or possibilities that defy what you believe is the truth. That's usually when you've been fooled.

i have to say im starting to become a little skeptical myself, part of me says they cant keep every player quiet and influence the games all THAT much and maybe they cant

but then i keep thinking to all these GREAT games over the last few year almost everything is coming down to the wire/last drives including NCAA and have to wonder how it happens time and time again. are the teams really that evenly matched? are the games influenced? who knows it would suck if they were but i wouldnt put it past a billionaire

TH3JUICEMAN
01-07-2014, 03:00 PM
so what happens when the Saints beat the Seahawks and the Broncos beat the Chargers? This dude gets his 15 minutes and we all go back to enjoying our Broncos for what they are, a great football team playing for competition and pride, not some BS rigged crap.

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 03:06 PM
so what happens when the Saints beat the Seahawks and the Broncos beat the Chargers? This dude gets his 15 minutes and we all go back to enjoying our Broncos for what they are, a great football team playing for competition and pride, not some BS rigged crap.

What dude gets his 15 minutes? He was anonymous.

#87Birdman
01-07-2014, 03:08 PM
i have to say im starting to become a little skeptical myself, part of me says they cant keep every player quiet and influence the games all THAT much and maybe they cant

but then i keep thinking to all these GREAT games over the last few year almost everything is coming down to the wire/last drives including NCAA and have to wonder how it happens time and time again. are the teams really that evenly matched? are the games influenced? who knows it would suck if they were but i wouldnt put it past a billionaire

See I'm sorta in the same boat as you but I don't think they are fixed. If anything I feel refs try to keep games close if possible. Maybe letting something slide or calling a ticky tack call can be enough to keep games close. The game it self has way to many moving parts to completely fix it, and even trying to keep it close can be hard as sometimes teams shoot themselves in the foot.

But sometimes I wonder if refs are trying to get a game to be competative for the sake of the viewers. Just look at the first match up against the Chargers. They were falling behind and started to drive and the center snapped it when Rivers wasn't ready. Instead of letting it go like it should the refs pulled out a flag for a wrong call to give the chargers another chance. But even than it could just be refs are human and make mistakes.

Papa-pwn
01-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Of course there are probably times certain people have told other certain people to influence a certain game in a certain way. To think that the entire NFL organization gets together with the owners and coaches to plan the season like it is WWF is just ridiculous though. There are too many people involved, too many moving parts, it is too hard to script all the things that happen in an NFL season.

No one is suggesting that. The players and coaches all believe they're getting a fair game. The NFL itself could dictate game outcomes with only the refs knowing. If you'd read the thread, it could be plausible with all the new offense-oriented rules. They make it so much easier to call a horrible PI or defenseless receiver, or hit to the QB under the guidelines of said rules. Alternately, if the refs don't call the fouls, in order to help the team they need to win, the masses would simply brush it off as letting the players play.

I don't believe the playoffs are fixed, and I certainly hope they aren't, but you people need to stop acting like it's some sort of huge impossibility. It's very possible. Very easy. And very profitable for the league.

Broncoholic JS
01-07-2014, 03:29 PM

Pay no attention to the man behind the green curtain, right?

You hit it spot on with everything!!

Well said!

TH3JUICEMAN
01-07-2014, 03:32 PM
What dude gets his 15 minutes? He was anonymous.

He doesn't have to get personal recognition to get his jollys on his hoax

GT Motion
01-07-2014, 03:37 PM

That is not a very fair comparison, pro wrestling is blatantly obvious, I mean, the fake punches, the horrible acting, the plugs for pay per view matches. With football it is not obvious, the players play their hearts out, the coaches coach, but the only question is the refs.

Could the refs be rigging things? Sure, they "could", but are they? I would need evidence, so far all I see is speculation.

Freyaka
01-07-2014, 03:43 PM
I haven't gone through every post in this thread and it looks like the original has been edited. I will say that game fixing DOES happen in the NFL. I was talking to our town Mayor the other day. His son is the assistant to the assistant head coach for a team (not naming the team because I don't want to risk him any harm) He said one time he was walking out of the tunnel before a game in plain clothes (no jersey or team polo or hat or anything) and he heard several of the ref's discussing their plans to make sure one specific team came away with the win.

He said he did report it and that team never officiated after that but it does happen. That was within the last 2-3 years.

Broncoholic JS
01-07-2014, 03:47 PM
I haven't gone through every post in this thread and it looks like the original has been edited. I will say that game fixing DOES happen in the NFL. I was talking to our town Mayor the other day. His son is the assistant to the assistant head coach for a team (not naming the team because I don't want to risk him any harm) He said one time he was walking out of the tunnel before a game in plain clothes (no jersey or team polo or hat or anything) and he heard several of the ref's discussing their plans to make sure one specific team came away with the win.

He said he did report it and that team never officiated after that but it does happen. That was within the last 2-3 years.

:jawdrop: just wow!! :jawdrop:

GT Motion
01-07-2014, 04:05 PM

Not really evidence, just hearsay. That story could be true, or it could be completely fabricated, sorry, but "I know a guy who knows a guy who heard some guys" really just doesn't work as evidence. Also, the story you just told implies that the refs will talk about their plans in an open place where a regular person can overhear them, but just not members of the teams. If the refs are fixing things I doubt they would discuss it in the open where anyone could hear.

If we give it the benefit of a doubt though, and it is true, then at least that officiating crew never officiated again.

chargermouse
01-07-2014, 06:12 PM
I seriously had to create an account just to reply to this thread. This thread is just plain embarrassing. For those of you who are just being sarcastic and stoking the fire just for fun, realize that some of your very own posters are taking this very seriously.

Do I think that the NFL plays favorites with some teams? Sure. But I can assure you that the Chargers are not in that short list. Teams like the Patriots, Steelers, 49ers, Giants teams with media darling QBs like the Saints, and now your very own Broncos will sometimes get "favorable" calls. As a Bolts fan I've seen the wrong end of that deal plenty of times. But to think that a whole SEASON can be predetermined, especially for my very own Bolts, is just stupid. Do you realize what this implies? Not only would Succop have to be paid off to miss a shot just BARELY, but both the entire Ravens and Dolphins organization would have to be in on the fix as well considering we needed both of them to lose their last two games. Not to mention Andy Dalton would have to be paid a boatload money in order to commit 3 turnovers and basically tarnish his reputation amongst his fan base and the rest of the league.

So what's easier to believe? All of THAT, or that the Chargers just got lucky and are beginning to pick up steam at the right time?

Listen, you guys have a very good team, and the game this Sunday should be pretty good as the Bolts tend to play up or down to the level of their competition. If by some miracle we win, I really hope you're all mature and don't complain about rigging...

Freyaka
01-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Not really evidence, just hearsay. That story could be true, or it could be completely fabricated, sorry, but "I know a guy who knows a guy who heard some guys" really just doesn't work as evidence. Also, the story you just told implies that the refs will talk about their plans in an open place where a regular person can overhear them, but just not members of the teams. If the refs are fixing things I doubt they would discuss it in the open where anyone could hear.

If we give it the benefit of a doubt though, and it is true, then at least that officiating crew never officiated again.

I understand your skepticism. I however have no doubt of it's authenticity. I could give more info to substantiate it but again I don't want to risk someone stumbling across this info and it causing his career harm.

TH3JUICEMAN
01-07-2014, 08:24 PM
NFL refs taking $$$ to fix games, sure I can see that and acknowledge that that has probably happened numerous times.

That is completely different than the idea that this is all a staged show. I'm embarrassed that this topic is on our forum and some people are actually believing it.

And Frey, why the heck was this not National news? The mayor of Smolan KS told you this and what his son knew, it was brought to attention and didn't make news? Come on man!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-07-2014, 09:25 PM
The tin foil hat is strong in this one.

This is an insult to all the players who give time, blood, sweat, and tears to win a championship.

GT Motion
01-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Exactly, are you conspiracy guys ready to admit that Peyton is not a great QB? None of your Superbowls matter? If it is all rigged then no players are good or bad, they are just filling their roles. I personally don't buy that. At the most I would agree that some refs have been paid off, but even that requires some evidence, some calls are just bad calls in my opinion.

The NFL knows it can make billions by playing legit, if people find out the whole time it was a mascaraed then it will lose almost its entire audience, why would they risk that just to make extra money on top? The real legit headlines are enough to make billions a year with, sports in themselves are interesting.

Awesomo 2000
01-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Exactly, are you conspiracy guys ready to admit that Peyton is not a great QB?

I guess you're right. You got me :P

CanDB
01-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Is this thread some sort of "April Fool's" thing? Please tell me it is. I was beginning to wonder if I was in the wrong site.

I haven't read all the posts but I think I get the gist of it.....that the NFL is big time rigged. Hmmmm, one of the most successful major organizations would risk the future of their business, when they don't have to......I would expand on this, but if I did, I'd feel like I was contributing to the topic.

Now back to football.

Freyaka
01-08-2014, 08:55 AM
The tin foil hat is strong in this one.

This is an insult to all the players who give time, blood, sweat, and tears to win a championship.

I think most don't believe that every game is predetermined. But gam fixing happens. It's happened in the NBA it can happen here. Someone pays a ref under the table and the ref makes sure it's impossible for one specific team to win. It hapens That doesn't mean a single person other than the ref is involved but it does happen. I'm sure despite what some believe the NFL takes it seriously but shaddy stuff happens in all sports and then NFL isn't alone there.

Spice 1
01-08-2014, 11:47 AM
I think most don't believe that every game is predetermined. But gam fixing happens. It's happened in the NBA it can happen here. Someone pays a ref under the table and the ref makes sure it's impossible for one specific team to win. It hapens That doesn't mean a single person other than the ref is involved but it does happen. I'm sure despite what some believe the NFL takes it seriously but shaddy stuff happens in all sports and then NFL isn't alone there.

I don't believe in any Free Mason like conspiracy within the NFL hierarchy. It sounds utterly ridiculous. I would however, entertain the possibility that corrupt officials exist. Maybe not in the NFL, but at least in the NBA. The officiating in the NBA is so predictably horrendous that, combined with the Tim Donaghy scandal, it is actually hard for them to provide a convincing argument that corrupt officials don't exist. Donaghy has gone on record saying that there were others.

If it were revealed that an NFL official was fixing games, I wouldn't be surprised though.

Bootleg
01-08-2014, 12:08 PM
I've seen this floating around on Facebook. I do find it quite eerie in regards to this being posted before Week 17 had unfolded when the Chargers playoff hopes looked slim, but I'll believe it when I see it.

CanDB
01-08-2014, 12:15 PM
As for some form of rebuttal:

- Refs make mistake, and yes, there may be a few corrupt refs in sports
- Players make great plays and bad plays (nothing unusual about that).....which are normal things to do, versus being the result of a "fix"
- Most of the people in the sport have integrity
- If there are fixes, they are between a very few, who are willing to go to jail if caught

- If you look hard enough, you could probably make a case for the fact that:

Apple pie is to be eaten with caution

Friendship is dangerous

Breathing has big risks

Going outside or staying inside is a serious choice, each and every day

The list goes on......

#87Birdman
01-08-2014, 12:22 PM
As for some form of rebuttal:

- Refs make mistake, and yes, there may be a few corrupt refs in sports
- Players make great plays and bad plays (nothing unusual about that).....which are normal things to do, versus being the result of a "fix"
- Most of the people in the sport have integrity
- If there are fixes, they are between a very few, who are willing to go to jail if caught

- If you look hard enough, you could probably make a case for the fact that:

Apple pie is to be eaten with caution

Friendship is dangerous

Breathing has big risks
Going outside or staying inside is a serious choice, each and every day

The list goes on......

I would like to add that not Breathing has big risks also :P

But yeah I don't believe there are any "fixing" going on in the NFL.

SBboundBRONCOS
01-08-2014, 12:39 PM
See I'm sorta in the same boat as you but I don't think they are fixed. If anything I feel refs try to keep games close if possible. Maybe letting something slide or calling a ticky tack call can be enough to keep games close. The game it self has way to many moving parts to completely fix it, and even trying to keep it close can be hard as sometimes teams shoot themselves in the foot.

But sometimes I wonder if refs are trying to get a game to be competative for the sake of the viewers. Just look at the first match up against the Chargers. They were falling behind and started to drive and the center snapped it when Rivers wasn't ready. Instead of letting it go like it should the refs pulled out a flag for a wrong call to give the chargers another chance. But even than it could just be refs are human and make mistakes.

it sure is easier to fill advertising space when a game is close at the end than one thats a blow ou is all im saying.

still too many parts to completely rig a game ... let alone a complete season

// / yardo
01-08-2014, 04:22 PM

Just to clarify. The NFL as an entity is filed as one company or organization (not 32 teams as some might think) as ENTERTAINMENT and not sport. So with that designation it is NOT illegal if the NFL were caught fixing it's game's like what happened with the NBA.

CanDB
01-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Just to clarify. The NFL as an entity is filed as one company or organization (not 32 teams as some might think) as ENTERTAINMENT and not sport. So with that designation it is NOT illegal if the NFL were caught fixing it's game's like what happened with the NBA.

Thx for that......I made an assumption that folks who seemingly break the law in this way may be in line for some "down time". Not sure how the law regards these type of actions, but I would have to think that, at some point the penalties get pretty stiff. If not, I stand corrected.

johntbronco
01-08-2014, 07:16 PM
They do the fix is in EVERY YEAR!

Here is 2009
http://www.thefixisin.net/nfl2009.html

This year was cool with all the Tebow "fixes"
http://www.thefixisin.net/nfl2011.html

Here is this year's so far.
http://www.thefixisin.net/nfl2013.html

Broncoholic MS
01-08-2014, 09:16 PM

Here is 2009

Mmhmm...

While we call these leagues "sports," they are in fact businesses. Their business is entertainment. The NFL, for one, has actually argued this fact before the Supreme Court as recently as 2010. Being "entertainment," the leagues are legally entitled to do what is needed to entertain their audience, such as the creation and promotion of certain "storylines."

Papa-pwn
01-08-2014, 11:54 PM

Here is 2009

People need to STOP linking that website. It is NOT what we are talking about in this thread. There is nothing on that website has anything to do with the thread at all.

"The fix is in" is a clever title originally used for this thread. Nothing more. It had no relation or derivation from that website people keep googling.

This thread is talking about a disgruntled former NFL employee laid off on or before the 23rd of December. On that date he claimed to be revealing that Goodell has been having the Super Bowl winners fixed for the last few years, and the chargers were his chosen team this year. He also said that the whole "team that played eagles in home opener" thing was Goodell's little Easter egg or something. The former employee was anonymous during all this, mind you.

Again, WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE WEBSITE KNOWN AS "THE FIX IS IN"

I've had to tell like 131737 people that, freaking annoying.

Again, not saying I really believe this, though it is interesting that he said the chargers would win the Super Bowl when their playoff hopes were in serious jeopardy and needed much help to get in.

// / yardo
01-09-2014, 01:45 AM
Thx for that......I made an assumption that folks who seemingly break the law in this way may be in line for some "down time". Not sure how the law regards these type of actions, but I would have to think that, at some point the penalties get pretty stiff. If not, I stand corrected.

Well that's sort of what I'm getting at. It's not illegal for the NFL to modify or control the outcome of games. Just like the WWE is able to do the same thing. They are both technically entertainment businesses and not sporting events. You're paying for entertainment and not the outcome of a game or sporting contest. That's the official designation and it's stood in court. There's no legal implications here.

CanDB
01-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Well that's sort of what I'm getting at. It's not illegal for the NFL to modify or control the outcome of games. Just like the WWE is able to do the same thing. They are both technically entertainment businesses and not sporting events. You're paying for entertainment and not the outcome of a game or sporting contest. That's the official designation and it's stood in court. There's no legal implications here.

If so.......and don't mind me.....but that's a weird designation. This is pure sports. The entertainment part is a bi product in my opinion. I'm sure it's all an advantage for the NFL, but I still don't buy any of this "fix" thing.

baphamet
01-09-2014, 09:03 AM
this thread is hilarious! :laugh:

OrangeCrush_304
01-09-2014, 09:49 AM
If anybody has a hard time believing this just look back at our divisional game last year.

It was so obvious that every big play we had on offense we had a holding call and almost every defensive stop there was a pass interference.

Ravens DBs could get away with pushing, grabbing, going through the WR for the pick (Manning's first pick 6) or even when the DB tripped Demaryius on what could have been an easy TD.

Yes we still should have won that game in Rahim just knocked that pass down, but the Nfl's refs don't always win the games for a team we just had a great team last year and had to overcome all of the ridiculous reffing job. It became laughable when Denver kept answering the bad calls and scoring TDs and Vinovich and his crew would try even harder to find something to call something on.

The NFL is fixed, but teams can overcome the bad officiating like I and we almost saw last year.

Broncoholic MS
01-09-2014, 11:18 AM
And the Broncos don't even have to be part of a pay-off. Refs could be told, "If Manning has a TD pass, throw a late flag for holding. If their defense gets an interception, throw a late flag for PI." Not hard for the refs to control an outcome.

I vividly remember our last playoff game, no less than 6 crazy phantom-calls, or non-calls, all that helped out the Ravens. And it wasn't just orange-n-blue fan bias: one of the calls had the announcer saying, "I have no idea what they're seeing there! Are they even watching the same game?!" He was flabbergasted.

CanDB
01-09-2014, 12:04 PM
this thread is hilarious! :laugh:

Isn't it though!!!!

:confused:

// / yardo
01-09-2014, 12:28 PM
If so.......and don't mind me.....but that's a weird designation. This is pure sports. The entertainment part is a bi product in my opinion. I'm sure it's all an advantage for the NFL, but I still don't buy any of this "fix" thing.

Weird or not it's the NFL's own purposeful designation or classification with the government. Not my personal opinion. Just clarifying. A lot of people would think fixing the outcome of the games would be illegal but it's not.

broncoslover115
01-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Now you guys are making me paranoid. Please don't let this happen to our game Sunday. Maybe Manning should come out and say that he's retiring so we get the calls. Then change his mind. :laugh:

Peanut
01-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Weird or not it's the NFL's own purposeful designation or classification with the government. Not my personal opinion. Just clarifying. A lot of people would think fixing the outcome of the games would be illegal but it's not.

Is that why they went with entertainment? Not to fix the games, but when officials make mistakes (because they're humans) it gives them a way out?

There's an inmate in a PA prison that is trying to sue the NFL because the Steelers aren't in the playoffs.

brianmcfarlane
01-09-2014, 01:38 PM
I hope the officials get very little TV time on Sunday!

// / yardo
01-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Is that why they went with entertainment? Not to fix the games, but when officials make mistakes (because they're humans) it gives them a way out?

There's an inmate in a PA prison that is trying to sue the NFL because the Steelers aren't in the playoffs.

I can't answer why or what the motive is. Of course there's plenty of speculation. But it does in fact give them the necessary leeway if they were to be caught up in a controversial situation. When Jets fans tried to sue for spygate the judge overruled the case because "when you purchase your tickets you're paying for entertainment and not the outcome of a sporting event." I'm probably misquoting but that was the overall sentiment.

CanDB
01-09-2014, 06:23 PM

But seriously........there is no way they are designated the way they are, just in case they decide to start fixing games. Ask all the owners, management, players and everyone else involved if a "fix" may be in the cards. How many would be ok with it??

I am quite sure the reasons they are designated the way they are (as you state) has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this "unusual" thread.

Awesomo 2000
01-09-2014, 06:59 PM
But seriously........there is no way they are designated the way they are, just in case they decide to start fixing games. Ask all the owners, management, players and everyone else involved if a "fix" may be in the cards. How many would be ok with it??

I am quite sure the reasons they are designated the way they are (as you state) has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this "unusual" thread.

Nobody said that they did it to start fixing games.

They did it to protect themselves from lawsuits related to the "fairness" of the games.

It just so happens that it would very likely protect them from the "jail time" you mentioned earlier.

And the fact that they claim to be only "entertainment", when they're clearly supposed to be about "fair" athletic competition is a little troubling.

// / yardo
01-09-2014, 07:33 PM

End of the day the owners care about one thing. Money. It's a for-profit business. The entertainment designation allows them to control their product and "optimize" it to make more money however they see fit. Do they fix games? I can't tell you. Is it possible? Absolutely! Do certain circumstances suggest there's been fixes or preference for a certain team? Hell yes. And it's not that difficult OR illegal as some want to believe.

I love football. I love the NFL and especially my Broncos. However I'm not blind to the possibilities or motivations of fixing games. It's possible. Would it really change your viewership? Probably not.

CanDB
01-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Nobody said that they did it to start fixing games.

They did it to protect themselves from lawsuits related to the "fairness" of the games.

It just so happens that it would very likely protect them from the "jail time" you mentioned earlier.

And the fact that they claim to be only "entertainment", when they're clearly supposed to be about "fair" athletic competition is a little troubling.

I get it......for the record, I DO NOT believe in this fixing thing, so please weigh my answers accordingly.

CanDB
01-09-2014, 08:14 PM
End of the day the owners care about one thing. Money. It's a for-profit business. The entertainment designation allows them to control their product and "optimize" it to make more money however they see fit. Do they fix games? I can't tell you. Is it possible? Absolutely! Do certain circumstances suggest there's been fixes or preference for a certain team? Hell yes. And it's not that difficult OR illegal as some want to believe.

I love football. I love the NFL and especially my Broncos. However I'm not blind to the possibilities or motivations of fixing games. It's possible. Would it really change your viewership? Probably not.

If I'm reading you right, I totally disagree. If games were fixed, the viewership would change abruptly. Most fans would be disgusted.

bronx_2003
01-09-2014, 08:35 PM
On a slightly separate point why did the league not make the Jags draft or sign Tebow. Would of made huge money for them and the viewing/sales would of sky rocketed

// / yardo
01-09-2014, 09:19 PM
If I'm reading you right, I totally disagree. If games were fixed, the viewership would change abruptly. Most fans would be disgusted.

In my opinion, if there were a scandal linking the NFL to fixes most fans, the casual fans, would look the other way. Some would be disappointed but would eventually return. Look to what happened with baseball and steroids. Sure there was a slight fallout but that mostly had to do with the popularity of football rising. A few jokes were made but overall baseball still goes on.

Rancid
01-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Here is a very persuasive article on the subject:

http://spaces.covers.com/blog/MaximumWins/NFL/03042012-Reasons-Why-The-NFL-Is-Fixed-For-Profit.html

It explains a lot of topics discussed. What struck me as most persuasive is

2. The NFL possesses an Anti-Trust Exemption to the law granted to it by President John F. Kennedy, which ultimately allows the NFL to classify itself as "entertainment" rather than sport, as well as incorporate itself as a single entity instead of the 32 separate "franchises" they would want you to believe. Contrary to the perception of the NFL being 32 separate franchises battling it out for gridiron supremacy. In a franchised environment, such as McDonalds (Business 101), each franchise is individually owned and operated and can participate in national promotions, have its own local promotions, or abstain from participating (hence the fine print in commercials saying "at participating locations".

This keeps the regionality of competition in tact without having to compete on a national level. MLB has this status, the NFL does not. Instead, since the NFL has this Anti-Trust exemption, it is able to package its teams in order to sell to national television companies, which today totals $6 Billion in revenue for the league. That is 75% of the leagues total annual revenue. In a 2004 lawsuit vs the NFL, the NFL attorney Gregg H. Levy argued that "the NFL is not a collection of 32 individual teams, but rather a single entity. And as long as the NFL teams are a unit, and they compete as a unit in the entertainment marketplace, then they should be deemed a single unit and not subject to any Anti-Trust laws."

There is only another "sports" organization that I can think of that follows this, the WWE. Levy also argued that the league markets its products and merchandise as a whole to promote the NFL as a whole. These arguments led all the way to lockout during the 2011 offseason. The league would still earn $5 Billion in revenue, even without a single game being played.

Professional sports is the only industry without ANY federal oversight. Therefore the league can do and go as they see fit, this is something the players were concerned about going into the lockout, the NFL players themselves sought help from US Congress asking for oversight of the NFL. And NFL players wanted an explanation as to why the NFL owners were granted an Anti-Trust exemption in the first place. They didn't get it.

The NFL proved in this lawsuit that they see themselves as a single unit in the "entertainment" industry and the unique league revenue sharing strategy is not common amongst professional sports leagues.

I believe if it is scripted that Manning is in the script. They beat the Chargers, he faces his old team the Colts, then John Fox faces his old team the Panthers in the SB-- then Manning rides off in the sunset-- like Ray Lewis last year.

CanDB
01-09-2014, 09:52 PM
In my opinion, if there were a scandal linking the NFL to fixes most fans, the casual fans, would look the other way. Some would be disappointed but would eventually return. Look to what happened with baseball and steroids. Sure there was a slight fallout but that mostly had to do with the popularity of football rising. A few jokes were made but overall baseball still goes on.

Are you saying "scandal", or are you saying it's ok for the NFL to fix games (which seems to be implied by all the legal jargon)......because the two are very much different. Not sure I'm following the storyline in this thread. Then again, I haven't figured it out at all.

I can just see folks like Peyton Manning or Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck or (the list goes on and on and on) saying, "hey, NFL fixing is ok with me. After all, it's only entertainment."

Yeah right!!!

TH3JUICEMAN
01-10-2014, 08:53 AM

I would be disgusted.

Charlie Brown
01-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Well, the Seahawks won. So far it is looking like the Fix is in. Seahawks/Chargers SB is the fix.

24SuperChamp
01-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Well, the Seahawks won. So far it is looking like the Fix is in. Seahawks/Chargers SB is the fix.

I didn't want to say it.

Up to the Broncos to BUST this for good!

C'mon Broncos, it's put up or shut up!

Broncoholic JS
01-12-2014, 05:55 PM
It worked!!!! Reverse psychology!!!!