PDA

View Full Version : Is Goodell getting a little carried away?

Rancid
01-23-2013, 05:26 PM
I could not believe this when I read it. I think Goodell is really becoming a hated man.

Are you kidding me? A $10k penalty for socks being too low?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8873686/2013-nfl-playoffs-frank-gore-san-francisco-49ers-fined-105k-low-socks-source-says

ESPN.com news services

Frank Gore's efforts in the San Francisco 49ers' NFC Championship Game victory over the Atlanta Falcons didn't go unnoticed by the NFL, which decided he wore his socks last Sunday a little too low to its liking.

The running back was fined $10,500 on Wednesday for wearing his socks too low in the game, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Gore rushed for 90 yards on 21 carries and scored two touchdowns in the 49ers' 28-24 win, including the eventual winning score with 8:23 remaining that gave San Francisco its first lead of the game.

The 49ers rallied from a 17-0 deficit to grab the victory and their first trip to the Super Bowl since 1995.

On both of Gore's TDs, the Falcons had to worry about quarterback Colin Kaepernick running it in himself. They barely even touched the running back on either play.

"I kind of figured that coming in and they showed that on film, so I assumed Frank and LaMichael (James) were going to have a big day," Kaepernick said Sunday. "Frank ran hard today, and I can't say enough about him."

Gore rushed for 1,214 yards and eight touchdowns this season.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this report.

samparnell
01-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Roger Goodell = corporate tool

flosstein
01-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Roger Goodell = corporate tool

100% true! But in this case, uniform penalties are nothing new and guys get fined almost every game for something silly. It was like that in the Tag era as well, just no social media to spread it around the globe in 60 seconds. Also it was probably so high, because it may have been repeat offense or the socks may have been non-Nike as well as being too low. RGIII was fine $11K for an ADIDAS sweat suit @ a post-game presser.

Rancid
01-23-2013, 06:34 PM
100% true! But in this case, uniform penalties are nothing new and guys get fined almost every game for something silly. It was like that in the Tag era as well, just no social media to spread it around the globe in 60 seconds. Also it was probably so high, because it may have been repeat offense or the socks may have been non-Nike as well as being too low. RGIII was fine $11K for an ADIDAS sweat suit @ a post-game presser.

Now I see why they call Goodell the "Ginger Hammer'.

EddieMac
01-23-2013, 07:01 PM
This has been going on for a long time. Went back to when Jim McMahon was wearing his headbands. That was the Pete Rozelle era so this isn't unique to Goodell. Was there not at least one Broncos player fined for "twisting" their throwback socks a coupe of years ago too?

SBboundBRONCOS
01-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Now I see why they call Goodell the "Ginger Hammer'.

Floss is right, this isnt goodell at all .... this is social media simply showing something that has been going on forever in a much faster/efficient light.

these players know the uniform rules and its not his first time

the NFL has huge contracts with these sponsors and they dont want to lose them for something stupid like a player not pulling his socks up.

people need to back off of goodell, he is trying to help the game we all love

ruksak
01-24-2013, 10:14 AM
These fines must be proportional to their income. To the average working guy like most of us, 10k is quite steep.

Look.....there must be a line drawn in the sand. We must have rules and they must carry significant punitive measures or else players would wear whatever they want. The attention they receive would more than pay for the fines.

If these fines weren't serious than we would be treated, every game, to having to watch a bunch of dudes dressed like hip-hop stars.

InsaneBlaze23
01-24-2013, 10:54 AM
I know people here don't like him. But I think he went over board with his Brady fine. He fined Brady 16K for that slide.
Don't get me wrong I think Tom should have been punished for it, but not 16K.

theMileHighGuy
01-24-2013, 11:06 AM
I know people here don't like him. But I think he went over board with his Brady fine. He fined Brady 16K for that slide.
Don't get me wrong I think Tom should have been punished for it, but not 16K.

Brady only got 10k for it. So yeah, a guy got fined more for wearing his socks wrong than the guy who kicked a player. That tells you everything you need to know about Roger Goodell.

dizzolve
01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
This has been going on for a long time. Went back to when Jim McMahon was wearing his headbands. That was the Pete Rozelle era so this isn't unique to Goodell. Was there not at least one Broncos player fined for "twisting" their throwback socks a coupe of years ago too?

Jabbar Gaffney

InsaneBlaze23
01-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Jabbar Gaffney

Lol, which I thought was just the dumbest fine in the history of the NFL. Twisting team socks....C'mon man!!

broncoslover115
01-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Brady only got 10k for it. So yeah, a guy got fined more for wearing his socks wrong than the guy who kicked a player. That tells you everything you need to know about Roger Goodell.

Brady should have been fined WAY more than that in my opinion. If it was a defensive player doing that to an offensive player it would have been a suspension or a much larger fine.

InsaneBlaze23
01-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Brady should have been fined WAY more than that in my opinion. If it was a defensive player doing that to an offensive player it would have been a suspension or a much larger fine.

I disagree, I think 6-8K is enough. But I'm fine with 10K, ESPN said 16 for some reason this morning.
Also no defensive player would slide, so the debate between if such in such did it is pretty invalid.
If a defender slides, then he is blatantly looking to do some karate kid stuff.

HavoK471
01-25-2013, 01:19 PM

I disagree, Gore should have been fined less or not fined at all. The Brady fine is enough

broncolee
01-26-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty sure the NFL has had uniform rules since before Goodell became commissioner.

Why don't you people stop inventing reasons to hate the man?

InsaneBlaze23
01-26-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm pretty sure the NFL has had uniform rules since before Goodell became commissioner.

Why don't you people stop inventing reasons to hate the man?

I actually like Roger, I just disagree with some of the fines. In to be frank, I don't blame him for that too. I believe there is a group of people that come up with the fines including Roger. Everything he do has to go through his bosses, and everything his bosses want, he has to do. So really if you wanna fault him, you have to also fault that group and his bosses. In which his bosses is the owners of NFL teams.

flosstein
01-26-2013, 01:40 PM
I actually like Roger, I just disagree with some of the fines. In to be frank, I don't blame him for that too. I believe there is a group of people that come up with the fines including Roger. Everything he do has to go through his bosses, and everything his bosses want, he has to do. So really if you wanna fault him, you have to also fault that group and his bosses. In which his bosses is the owners of NFL teams.
Excellent post. While I may differ on my individual feelings of Goodell, your point is spot on. The owners are all over the place with their zany ideas and the rules and fines are made by a brain trust that is the competition committee. The position of Judge, Jury, and Executioner that Goodell holds, is in large part due to the players allowing it to be that way in the last CBA. He is not so much a self-standing commish like Tag and Roz, but more like a drone or bot just here to interpret the "if-then" statements that all those parties created for him. So it's not his fault at all, he's just doing what he's told.

InsaneBlaze23
01-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Excellent post. While I may differ on my individual feelings of Goodell, your point is spot on. The owners are all over the place with their zany ideas and the rules and fines are made by a brain trust that is the competition committee. The position of Judge, Jury, and Executioner that Goodell holds, is in large part due to the players allowing it to be that way in the last CBA. He is not so much a self-standing commish like Tag and Roz, but more like a drone or bot just here to interpret the "if-then" statements that all those parties created for him. So it's not his fault at all, he's just doing what he's told.

Exactly, Roger is a puppet doing what those who hold the strings tell him.
Roger goes to bed at night with football fans and players hating him. Owners and those committee members go to bed without a care because nobody blames them.

#24 Next Champ
01-27-2013, 11:11 AM
I think it's simply silly that you can't just wear your socks how you like....ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous

I like wearing my socks that way, it's more comfy to me...such a stupid rule