PDA

View Full Version : Report: Woody Johnson wants to explore a Darrelle Revis trade

assassin216
01-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Jets owner Woody Johnson is reportedly interested in trading the teamís most valuable asset, cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Johnson has expressed a desire to trade Revis, Jason La Canfora of CBS reports. La Canfora attributes the report to unnamed sources with knowledge of the situation. Itís possible that Johnson floated the idea in conversations with prospective general managers during the search that ultimately led to the Jets hiring John Idzik.

Revis is owed $6 million this year, which is a good deal if Revis is healthy and back to being the NFLís best cornerback. But itís Johnson could be worried that Revis will struggle to regain his old form in his recovery from a torn ACL. And La Canfora also reports that Johnson thinks Revis is going to want a lot more money after the 2013 season, when he can become an unrestricted free agent, and that the Jets might be better off getting something for him now than getting nothing for him a year from now.

If the Jets are resigning themselves to the idea that it will take a full year to fix the mess that was the 2012 season, then trading Revis could be the way to begin the rebuilding.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/23/report-woody-johnson-wants-to-explore-a-darrelle-revis-trade/

InsaneBlaze23
01-23-2013, 07:47 PM
I'd be all for Denver getting him, but it won't be cheap...Pass if it isn't reasonable and fair for both sides.

canadiansbronco
01-23-2013, 07:58 PM
If he is healthy and we dont have to trade the farm absolutely do it !!!

broncoFan!
01-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Okay, how would you feel about giving Bailey and a 3rd and 7th round draft pick? Just thinking haha.... :crazy:

:p

roushmartin6
01-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Okay, how would you feel about giving Bailey and a 3rd and 7th round draft pick? Just thinking haha.... :crazy:

Trading Champ, no. Pairing those two together with Harris and Carter would be nice

broncoFan!
01-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Trading Champ, no. Pairing those two together with Harris and Carter would be nice

I doubt we have the cap room though honestly, with Manning, Bailey, & Clady wanting a new contract. Either way, we are probably getting a new CB through the draft.

flosstein
01-23-2013, 10:42 PM

That would be such a lopsided trade in our favor. I would think it was Shanny and the 'Skins all over again! I would give up a 1st, 5th, and swap 3rd's. Unless at 28 there is a cant miss DT or MLB.

Frenchy180
01-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Bailey is one of those guys that you only trade on Madden... and even then you still feel a bit guilty about it...

flosstein
01-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Bailey is one of those guys that you only trade on Madden... and even then you still feel a bit guilty about it...

Dude I in M13, I just didn't want to renew his contract and I felt like such a tool, lol!!! Luckily he retired and I didn't feel as bad. Even just getting int's. I get an int with anybody and it like, "yeah!". But I get one with Champ and at 2AM I'm yelling , "Champ says noooooo!".

He's that guy I just could not stomach in another uni. After we did it to Atwater, I just don't want to see it happen again.

InsaneBlaze23
01-24-2013, 06:51 AM
I doubt we have the cap room though honestly, with Manning, Bailey, & Clady wanting a new contract. Either way, we are probably getting a new CB through the draft.

The whole point of the trade for me is keeping Bailey and having Revis. I'd give them a 2nd, swap 3rds, and 7th. At his age and coming off an injury, he isn't worth a 1st.

I'd pass up signing Clady if we had Revis to be honest. Try to restructure Bailey's contract and Doom's.

I wouldn't give a first for him because he is coming off a torn ACL and after this coming season, he is a free agent. So really could we say skip trading for him, and go after him the following season?

flosstein
01-24-2013, 10:23 AM
The whole point of the trade for me is keeping Bailey and having Revis. I'd give them a 2nd, swap 3rds, and 7th. At his age and coming off an injury, he isn't worth a 1st.

I'd pass up signing Clady if we had Revis to be honest. Try to restructure Bailey's contract and Doom's.

I wouldn't give a first for him because he is coming off a torn ACL and after this coming season, he is a free agent. So really could we say skip trading for him, and go after him the following season?

Depends if u really want him. If u can pull off a new deal if may wind up being cheaper with a trade than acquiring him in F/A. As a F/A, he's gonna set the market. Some team with a poor DL is gonna pay through the nose hoping he solves their pass defense woes.

As for his age, he's only 27. And our 1st is more like a top 2nd, which we'll probably trade down in anyway. If he has more value than any 1st or 2nd rd pick on our board, then you make the move. But only if the ability to resign in on the table.

We has da' monies :D

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/54356/afc-west-fits-for-darrelle-revis

By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

CBSSports.com is reporting that the New York Jets are exploring the idea of trading star cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Revis, 27, is considered one of the best defensive players in the NFL. He suffered a serious knee injury last season, but is expected to return healthy.

Revis would likely be expensive in both compensation and in the terms of a contract. His contract is pricey and voids after two seasons. Any team that wants to acquire him would likely need to give him a new deal. Even with the obstacles, I think Revis will be highly sought-after. A case could be made for all four AFC West teams having interest in him.

Let’s take a look at how he’d fit with each team in the division:

Denver: The Broncos have more than $18 million in cap room, the most in the division -- and they could use Revis. Champ Bailey still has a couple of years left, but he will be 35 when next season starts and is coming off a rough game in the playoff loss to Baltimore. Denver has Chris Harris and Tony Carter, but adding a piece like Revis would be huge. He could be worth the Broncos' No. 28 pick in the draft.

Kansas City: The Chiefs don’t have a ton of pressing needs other than quarterback, so that's where they must look first. But adding Revis to Brandon Flowers and a strong defense would be pretty tempting. I could see the Chiefs giving up the No. 34 pick in the draft, for starters. Is their No. 1 overall pick worth dealing for Revis? Maybe in some type of package deal that gets the Chiefs a little more than Revis, sure.

Oakland: Cornerback is Oakland’s greatest need. Revis would fit great, but the Raiders are not in strong salary-cap shape and don’t have a lot to offer in a trade. Plus, they have a lot of other needs. Revis would be a terrific addition, but there are a lot of obstacles here.

San Diego: San Diego’s two starting cornerbacks, Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason, are free agents. This is a need area -- but only one of many such trouble spots. Unless they get creative in both trade compensation and in a new contract for Revis, this might be a tad difficult to maneuver.

-Rod-
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130789/article/darrelle-revis-freeagency-trade-talk-heating-up

What's the asking price? The Jets are reportedly seeking an exorbitant package including first- and second-round picks. While that's shooting for the moon on a player coming off ACL surgery and entering the final year of his contract, there is no shortage of potential trade partners. The New England Patriots, Denver Broncos, San Francisco 49ers, Buffalo Bills, Seattle Seahawks and Green Bay Packers are said to be among the teams "highly interested" in Revis.

InsaneBlaze23
01-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Do it Denver.
Then have Bailey, Manning, Doom, Miller convince him to re-sign for a reason contract offer. Lets be the beat damn Madden team ever!!!

flosstein
01-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Do it Denver.
Then have Bailey, Manning, Doom, Miller convince him to re-sign for a reason contract offer. Lets be the beat damn Madden team ever!!!

Lol, love it!!! But honestly it solves our "Life After Champ" issue. If u trade the farm, lock him up and don't give him that stoopid Fran Tag clause the NYJ's gave him. That guarantees we have him for at least 6 years.

InsaneBlaze23
01-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Lol, love it!!! But honestly it solves our "Life After Champ" issue. If u trade the farm, lock him up and don't give him that stoopid Fran Tag clause the NYJ's gave him. That guarantees we have him for at least 6 years.

I agree, we'd already have someone in place who we know can play, and doesn't need to be groomed.

Really the way I see this is a telling how serious Denver is about winning the Super Bowl next season and/or the year after. Last season make the blockbuster move of signing Peyton Manning, this off season try to sign one of the best corners in the league if not the best corner.

InsaneBlaze23
01-25-2013, 10:42 AM

I agree, we'd already have someone in place who we know can play, and doesn't need to be groomed.

Really the way I see this is a telling how serious Denver is about winning the Super Bowl next season and/or the year after. Last season make the blockbuster move of signing Peyton Manning, this off season try to sign one of the best corners in the league if not the best corner.

BroncoSexyDaddy
01-30-2013, 05:09 PM

:pThat might be a possiblity.Elway did make a statement about getting younger.It would come as a shock if a Revis for Bailey trade was in the mix.I think after Champ looked awful in the Ravens game,it has to be givin so thought to John.We have Harris and Carter coming back so if we draft a CB and get an undrafted one we might be ok with a trade.