PDA

View Full Version : [Nuggets] Mozgov likely to get traded.

Houshmazode
01-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Little-used Timofey Mozgov unlikely to stay with Denver Nuggets
Posted: 01/25/2013 12:01:00 AM MST
Updated: 01/25/2013 11:54:42 AM MST
By Christopher Dempsey
The Denver Post

In less than a month, Timofey Mozgov is unlikely to be with the Nuggets. Since the beginning of the year, calls from other NBA teams have come rolling in concerning a trade for Mozgov more than for any other player on the Denver roster, and for two reasons.

First, he's a serviceable center. When the Nuggets insisted that the New York Knicks include Mozgov in the blockbuster Carmelo Anthony trade, it was with the belief that Mozgov could grow into being an integral cog in the new direction of the franchise. And he showed flashes that he could be just that.

But the combination of the Nuggets acquiring center JaVale McGee late last season and Kosta Koufos' improved performance this season has made Mozgov the odd guy out among the Nuggets' big men, who include Kenneth Faried and Wilson Chandler playing power forward.

Second, Mozgov has an expiring contract, and that is gold in the NBA. He will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season, which is even better for a team that covets him because that team would have the option to match any offer sheet extended to him.

Mozgov sits and watches all of this, expressing a desire to stick around.

But he prioritizes playing time over staying in Denver.

"I want to play," he said Thursday.

Mozgov, who is making $3.1 million this season, is averaging 9.6 minutes per game and has played in only 24 of Denver's 44 games. He is averaging three rebounds and 2.6 points. He averaged 15.6 minutes last season.

"I want to stay," he said. "But more than I want to stay, I want to play."

The Miami Heat is among several teams believed to be interested in Mozgov.

"People ask me, but I don't know what to say to people because I don't know what is going on," Mozgov said. "You've got to understand, the (trade) deadline is coming soon. So people are going to be talking more and more. I don't really know what's going on. I just want to play."

Karl no fan of complacency.The Nuggets' next six games are all at home, beginning Saturday against Sacramento. It's the finishing stretch of 15 out of 18 games being played at the Pepsi Center, but coach George Karl doesn't want the Nuggets, who have played better of late, to get complacent.

"I think Golden State's ahead of the curve. I think we're a little ahead of the curve," Karl said. "Memphis has continued to play impressive. I think it's going to be a great race for the four, five spot (in the Western Conference standings). Hopefully that's what direction we're in, and not the other one.

"Through the month of February we've got to stay pretty demanding on getting better, getting stronger and hopefully getting more versatile and improving. We're a young team trying to become a good team a really good team. I think we all think we can get there, but sometimes I think we need a lot more work than (the players) think we do."

Christopher Dempsey: 303-954-1279, cdempsey@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_22446293/little-used-timofey-mozgov-unlikely-stay-denver-nuggets

Ho hum. :coffee:

Broncoholic3233
01-25-2013, 10:57 PM
I'll be upset. I like Mozgov and his potential a lot.

He's huge. He has shown plenty of flashes. He is a beast out there with his size and weight.

I think he has much more potential than Kosta...but Kosta is the one who is being given the playing time, and in that process, he's been developing and progressing.

I'd much rather trade Kosta and keep Mozgov, but Kosta is the one who has been given the chance to develop, so that's very unlikely.

Just hope we don't trade him, and see him become a beast elsewhere, when he could've been given that chance here.

We'll see what happens, but for now, I'm happy with how Kosta has been progressing.

johnlimburg
01-26-2013, 04:32 AM
I like Mosgov. I think it would come in handy to have him come playoff time. Especially against big strong guys like Dwight Howard and Kendrick Perkins. He matches up with them better then anyone else on the team. Last post season we seen Koufas really struggle against Bynum. He just isn't physically up to going against guys like Howard. Then Mcgee. Well, as George Karl described him, "lazy and crazy" just can't be trusted.

I doubt we will get anything great in return for Mosgov anyway. I would love a low post player who can actually make something happen in isolation. Or maybe a lights out shooter from deep. Apparently the Magic are looking to off load one of Afflalo, Reddick or Nelson. Reddick would be nice but apparently he wants a contract which pays him more then he is worth. But considering the Nuggets front office loves to overpay players, he may be the perfect candidate.

BroncNuggsRocks
01-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Good. He's a little overrated imo.

Broncoholic3233
01-26-2013, 01:36 PM
I like Mosgov. I think it would come in handy to have him come playoff time. Especially against big strong guys like Dwight Howard and Kendrick Perkins. He matches up with them better then anyone else on the team. Last post season we seen Koufas really struggle against Bynum. He just isn't physically up to going against guys like Howard. Then Mcgee. Well, as George Karl described him, "lazy and crazy" just can't be trusted.

I doubt we will get anything great in return for Mosgov anyway. I would love a low post player who can actually make something happen in isolation. Or maybe a lights out shooter from deep. Apparently the Magic are looking to off load one of Afflalo, Reddick or Nelson. Reddick would be nice but apparently he wants a contract which pays him more then he is worth. But considering the Nuggets front office loves to overpay players, he may be the perfect candidate.

Don't think we need a lights out shooter from deep anymore. Wilson has been phenomenal since he returned. He still doesn't have his legs under him he says, so his shots been shaky, and he's still making a lot of shots. He's been brilliant, and when he's fully healthy, he'll be huge for us.

Now, as for JJ, I'd take him, but not if we have to overpay like crazy. I love JJ, he's a Dukie! I'd pretty pretty excited.

When did Karl call McGee 'lazy'?

johnlimburg
01-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Good point on Wilson Chandler. He has been very good for us and is playing really well. However he is not a guy like Reddick. Reddick would be great for this team and I would also love him. I am not sure what he would want for a contract though and it would take more then Mosgov to get him anyway.

"He's (Mcgee) got to understand that lazy and crazy isn't going to make it work," Karl said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/george-karl-javale-mcgee-lazy-crazy-isn-t-184732689--nba.html

Broncoholic3233
01-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Good point on Wilson Chandler. He has been very good for us and is playing really well. However he is not a guy like Reddick. Reddick would be great for this team and I would also love him. I am not sure what he would want for a contract though and it would take more then Mosgov to get him anyway.

"He's (Mcgee) got to understand that lazy and crazy isn't going to make it work," Karl said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/george-karl-javale-mcgee-lazy-crazy-isn-t-184732689--nba.html

Yeah. I'd be thrilled if we acquired JJ.

And interesting..haha

Houshmazode
01-26-2013, 05:19 PM
I like having the depth of that many big men on our roster, and Mozgov does match up well against the biggest players in the league. And he does have that decent midrange shot. Defensively I like him a lot, but offensively he doesn't seem to run well with anyone else on the team, and that could be due to the little time he's been given.

The talk of him being traded means most all of our big men are playing well, and they are doing pretty good. Nuggets are 2nd in the league in rebounding (.1 behind Indiana) and the only team to have more than 600 offensive rebounds to this point. We just have too many big men right now, and that's a good problem to have.

It's awesome seeing Chandler come back and do so well, I hope he keeps it up. I would absolutely love to have JJ Reddick on the team. We have some players that can shoot well, albeit a little inconsistently and JJ shoots consistently from just about every spot on the floor. If we had that we would be a top 5 team in the league immediately. We'd have to give up more than just Mozgov though. Having Afflalo back would be awesome too.

Broncoholic3233
01-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Damn, I really do hope that is true that they might shop JJ or AAA.

If it is -- I really hope we are actually trying to acquire one of them.

Damn that'd be awesome.

Broncoholic3233
01-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Here is a piece from ESPN insider --

"Masai Ujiri's contract as the general manager of the Denver Nuggets is set to expire in June and The Denver Post reports an extension won't come his way until after the season.

Ujiri is one of the top GM's in the NBA and he'll likely get another three-year deal before we get to July.

Ujiri may not make a big deal by the Feb. 21, but there's a lot of speculation that third-string center Timofey Mozgov will be moved to another team. There is also a chance Danilo Gallinari could be traded in the upcoming offseason."

Not sure why we'd wait until after the season for our GM, gotta lock him up.

Broncoholic3233
01-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Here's another piece about Iggy --

"Andre Iguodala can become a free agent in July if he exercises the early termination option in his contract, but it sounds like he won't invoke the the clause, which makes sense as he's scheduled to make $16.15 million in 2013-14.

“A lot of players have done it where they’ve gave up a large bulk of their contract, say, giving up $16 million to get $60 million,” Iguodala told The Denver Post. “In the grand scheme of things that makes sense. But if you give up $16 million and you get $20 million (it doesn’t make sense). So it’s all about playing your cards right and seeing where you’re at. At the end of the day winning takes care of everything, so if we win here, then hopefully the organization and myself will come to an agreement and we’ll continue to build on what we have here.”

Iguodala, if he doesn't sign an extension, will be a free agent in 2014 and he will have to accept a major salary reduction if he wants to stay with the Nuggets beyond next season."

Broncoholic3233
01-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Just read that the Celtics are heavily interested and pursuing JJ :sad:

Hope we make a play too

Houshmazode
01-26-2013, 07:32 PM
I would almost take AAA and Reddick for Mozgov and Iguodala. We'd be losing some defensively but gaining a ton on offense. And it would be a lot cheaper.

The Experience
01-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Mozgov for James Jones straight up.

BroncNuggsRocks
01-26-2013, 11:17 PM
wait... AAA is up for grabs?????? WHY THE FRONT DOOR ARE WE WAITING.