PDA

View Full Version : Moss believes he's the GOAT

HUMCALC
01-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Is it me or is he even dumber, than even I thought he was?

HavoK471
01-29-2013, 06:17 PM
Moss could have been the GOAT if he put his mind to it. I think Rice said that talent wise Moss was far superior to him.

But yeah Rice is the GOAT not Moss. Gotta show respect

HUMCALC
01-29-2013, 07:14 PM
I don't know about you guys, but he doesn't even belong in the top 3 in my book

InsaneBlaze23
01-29-2013, 07:29 PM
I don't know about you guys, but he doesn't even belong in the top 3 in my book

Well, just note that I agree with you.

Randy Moss to keep his mouth shut and I agree with what Rice said in response. "Look at my numbers, look at his...."

The greatest of all time doesn't quit on his team(s).

GoManning
01-29-2013, 08:07 PM
“I do think I’m the greatest receiver ever to play this game,” Moss said.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m982vdC9cx1r7drv2o1_250.gif

BluenOrnge4Life
01-29-2013, 08:17 PM
There are few positions in sports where one player is regarded as the GOAT. Jerry Rice is that man for Wide Receivers, not Randy Moss.

broncos SB2010
01-29-2013, 08:32 PM
That's about as dumb as this

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/350/274/HOF_display_image.jpg?1340570179

HUMCALC
01-29-2013, 08:37 PM
How do you guys rank? Mine goes: 1) Rice 2)a Carter 2)b Brown

broncos SB2010
01-29-2013, 08:43 PM
mine goes:
1. Rice
2. Rice
3. Rice

there is no comparison....

broncos SB2010
01-29-2013, 08:48 PM
however, if I really had to pick, I would go:

1. Rice
2. Don Hutson
3. Raymond Berry

theMileHighGuy
01-30-2013, 01:27 AM
1 Jerry Rice
2 Terrell Owens, stats don't lie, and he did it with tons of different QBs.
3 Michael Irvin, the playmaker made a dink and dunk offense explosive.
3b Lance Allworth, dominated the game in an era where there were practically no rules for DBs.

... for me.

I think before it's all said and done Calvin Johnson will be at the top. Randy Moss is such a schmoe.

broncos SB2010
01-30-2013, 08:24 AM
1 Jerry Rice
2 Terrell Owens, stats don't lie, and he did it with tons of different QBs.
3 Michael Irvin, the playmaker made a dink and dunk offense explosive.
3b Lance Allworth, dominated the game in an era where there were practically no rules for DBs.

... for me.

I think before it's all said and done Calvin Johnson will be at the top. Randy Moss is such a schmoe.

I considered Alworth for my list as well.

Bronco51
01-30-2013, 08:41 AM
Moss also admitted he smokes weed......which would explain this statement perfectly.

SBboundBRONCOS
01-30-2013, 08:51 AM
hes certainly up there, i feel. hes put up ridiculous numbers and played in almost 100 less games then rice more if you dont count the end of his career when coaches didnt want to use him for whatever reasons

regardless of attitude i dont think its crazy to throw him under the bus for saying it ... hes def top 5 maybe top 3

Yakka27
01-30-2013, 09:08 AM
Randy Moss is the GOAT.

He played the prime of his career with Daunte Cullpepper, while Jerry had Montana and Young slinging him the ball.

Then when Randy Moss finally gets a HOF QB to throw him the ball, his first season he catches 23 touchdown passes, that's more than Rice ever caught in a season.

Just imagine if Moss had been playing in GB with Favre and Rodgers or something close to Montana and Young. Then maybe you guys would see things differently.

Bronco51
01-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Randy Moss is the GOAT.

He played the prime of his career with Daunte Cullpepper, while Jerry had Montana and Young slinging him the ball.

Then when Randy Moss finally gets a HOF QB to throw him the ball, his first season he catches 23 touchdown passes, that's more than Rice ever caught in a season.

Just imagine if Moss had been playing in GB with Favre and Rodgers or something close to Montana and Young. Then maybe you guys would see things differently.

His attitude is the reason he didn't stay with Brady to set more records. The guy is famous for "I play when I wanna play". No GOAT has an attitude like that. Rice is number 1........by a long shot. And not just because of his numbers, but also the way he conducted himself on and off the field.

Yakka27
01-30-2013, 11:24 AM
His attitude is the reason he didn't stay with Brady to set more records. The guy is famous for "I play when I wanna play". No GOAT has an attitude like that. Rice is number 1........by a long shot. And not just because of his numbers, but also the way he conducted himself on and off the field.

I guess I fail to remember when Michael Jordan was a class act?

SBboundBRONCOS
01-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Randy Moss is the GOAT.

come on man, he caught one more TD in 4 more games ....

Bronco51
01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
I guess I fail to remember when Michael Jordan was a class act?

When did Jordan walk out at the end of a game before it was over? When was Michael sent to other teams because of his attitude? When did anyone ever question his passion for the game.......ever? Bad comparison.

Freyaka
01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Randy Moss is the GOAT.

I somewhat agree but I don't....coulda woulda shoulda. It's easy to sit here and say he'd have been so mo much better with different QB's but who's to say he wouldn't have gotten pissed off and demanded out ala Owens?

Yakka27
01-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Jerry averaged about 5 catches a game for 75 yards and .65 touchdowns

Moss averaged 4.5 catches a game for 70 yards and .72 touchdowns

Randy played in 85 less games, if you even the playing surface in the number of games, giving Randy his averages for the next 85 games his career stats would read...

Catches - 1,364
Yards - 21,242
Touchdowns - 217

So they would match up like this.

Catches
Rice - 1,549
Moss - 1,364

Yards
Rice - 22,895
Moss - 21,242

Touchdowns
Rice - 197
Moss - 217

Now take in the account of the QBs that were throwing these guys the ball.

HavoK471
01-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Jerry averaged about 5 catches a game for 75 yards and .65 touchdowns

Moss averaged 4.5 catches a game for 70 yards and .72 touchdowns

Randy played in 85 less games, if you even the playing surface in the number of games, giving Randy his averages for the next 85 games his career stats would read...

Catches - 1,364
Yards - 21,242
Touchdowns - 217

So they would match up like this.

Catches
Rice - 1,549
Moss - 1,364

Yards
Rice - 22,895
Moss - 21,242

Touchdowns
Rice - 197
Moss - 217

Now take in the account of the QBs that were throwing these guys the ball.

Rice's ability to play well for so long is one of the reasons he is considered the GOAT

Moss could have trumped him but he didn't have the work ethic or attitude

#24 Next Champ
01-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Moss also admitted he smokes weed......which would explain this statement perfectly.

It's hilarious that people still think of this stuff in the way propaganda claimed in the 50's...there are plenty of doctors, and all types of successful, sharp people who smoke

Key is everything in moderation...would you say someone who has an occasional few drinks is dumb?

Also, I just can't believe Marvin Harrison never gets in the GOAT conversation ... I've never seen anyone get in and out of breaks with his speed AND have the top end, AND have such great route running ability and soft hands...

Just sad that he's so overlooked

I understand that Jerry did it for such a long time but I do agree with Moss that impact is more important in determining GOAT then pure #'s

Not saying Harrison was in fact better than Rice, because I honestly never watched Rice in his prime but Harrison was phenomenal

Bronco51
01-30-2013, 02:25 PM
It's hilarious that people still think of this stuff in the way propaganda claimed in the 50's...there are plenty of doctors, and all types of successful, sharp people who smoke

Key is everything in moderation...would you say someone who has an occasional few drinks is dumb?

Also, I just can't believe Marvin Harrison never gets in the GOAT conversation ... I've never seen anyone get in and out of breaks with his speed AND have the top end, AND have such great route running ability and soft hands...

Just sad that he's so overlooked

I understand that Jerry did it for such a long time but I do agree with Moss that impact is more important in determining GOAT then pure #'s

Not saying Harrison was in fact better than Rice, because I honestly never watched Rice in his prime but Harrison was phenomenal

The point of my post was that Moss was seriously high to make that statement. Was he the most dangerous WR in the game at one time....no doubt. But his attitude and work ethic (which has always been questioned) kept him from being the best ever. He definitely had the talent to be the GOAT.

HUMCALC
01-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Randy Moss is the GOAT.

He also played with Randall Cunningham and Brett Favre. People need to stop discarding Culpepper, when he was with MINN he played pretty dang well

HavoK471
01-30-2013, 02:33 PM
He also played with Randall Cunningham and Brett Favre. People need to stop discarding Culpepper, when he was with MINN he played pretty dang well

Pre knee injury Culpepper was no scrub for sure

HUMCALC
01-30-2013, 02:36 PM

Yep, and he showed flashes in DET. Wasn't he runner-up to Manning for MVP the year Manning threw 49 TDs?

Yakka27
01-31-2013, 12:30 AM
What Randy and Favre played together for how many games? Like 4?

Moss had Cunningham, Cullpepper, Kerry Collins, Aaron Brooks, Vince Young, Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, and Tom Brady throwing him passes.

While Jerry played with Joe Mantana, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, Kerry Collins, and Matt Hassleback.

Denver_oner
01-31-2013, 03:07 AM
Cris Carter has to be up there. He caught every ball thrown his way.

HUMCALC
01-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Cris Carter has to be up there. He caught every ball thrown his way.

He's #2 on my list

Denver_oner
01-31-2013, 12:49 PM
He's #2 on my list

Nice, He is really under rated to most people.

xX-Bronco-Xx
01-31-2013, 12:50 PM

Cullpepper in his prime was a top 10 possibly 5 QB in the league at that time.

Moss was a beast but definitely not GOAT. If he had Rice's work ethic there would be no doubt he would've been GOAT.

HUMCALC
01-31-2013, 12:52 PM

Moss was a beast but definitely not GOAT. If he had Rice's work ethic there would be no doubt he would've been GOAT.

I concur 100%

PowderAddict
01-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Moss had GOAT type talent, and was a great receiver, but is no where near Rice.

My top 3 (80's):
Vance Johnson
Mark Jackson
Ricky Nattiel
(special mention: Jerry Rice)

My top 3 (90's)
Rod Smith
Ed McCaffrey
Jerry Rice

:D

Freyaka
01-31-2013, 01:43 PM

Completely agree! Rice's body of work, work ethic and attitude for sure make him the hands down goat. Moss could have been but isn't. I don't care about hypothetical what if's he put up what he put up and it doesn't measure up to the true goat rice.

Yakka27
01-31-2013, 02:03 PM
So Cullpepper was a top 10 qb league at the time...

Montana and Young arguably top 10 qbs of any time.

So everyone tells me that Moss was more talented and a better WR than Rice but he didn't have the work ethic or attitude? That doesn't make any sense, Moss was the most talented WR of all time. GOAT.

HUMCALC
01-31-2013, 02:35 PM

So everyone tells me that Moss was more talented and a better WR than Rice but he didn't have the work ethic or attitude? That doesn't make any sense, Moss was the most talented WR of all time. GOAT.

He was moe talented, but he wasn't better by any means. I can still recall a game @ CHI where the Vikings were making a comeback, and Moss cost them the game twice. First, there was a pass that he could have caught but let it go by because he didn't want to get hit. 2nd and most important, Culpepper threw a jump ball to Moss, who caught it, and then proceeded to let Peanut Tillman intercept it by taking it from him. A guy Moss's size should never let a guy half his size, pull the ball away from him. Moss took WAY too many plays off, and refused to block. Things that Jerry Rice never did

broncoFan!
01-31-2013, 03:07 PM
http://sports-kings.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Larry-Fitzgerald.jpg

Larry says hi.

This dude is too humble to say anything, and I know he doesn't have a ring but he has been playing with sub par QBs for a while now and still putting up good #s. That's got to count for something, considering that Randy Moss had Farve and Tom Brady throwing to him.

Bronco51
01-31-2013, 03:12 PM

His own teammate (Cris Carter) said that if they were both to stand in front of God, Jerry could tell him "I used every ounce of ability you gave me and left it on the field" whereas Randy could only say "I still got some of my ability in my back pocket". Point is, that you can't be the best ever if you only played when you felt like it or take a year off to 'find yorself'. It's alright dude, nobody is saying he isn't good. He just isn't better than Rice......at all.

HavoK471
01-31-2013, 04:13 PM
http://sports-kings.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Larry-Fitzgerald.jpg

Larry says hi.

This dude is too humble to say anything, and I know he doesn't have a ring but he has been playing with sub par QBs for a while now and still putting up good #s. That's got to count for something, considering that Randy Moss had Farve and Tom Brady throwing to him.

Fitz had all the potential to be GOAT or come close to one of the greatest but sticking with the Cardinals really messed that up. You gotta love him though

The number 2 receiver behind Rice is probably Don Hutson, he absolutely dominated his era

theMileHighGuy
01-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Culpepper might have thrown the best deep ball of all time. Which consequently suits the only route Randy Moss runs. Then again, it's the only one he has to.

If Fitz didn't have the character he does, he could've been the best ever. He should have left AZ in the dust years ago.

HUMCALC
01-31-2013, 04:30 PM
Fitz had all the potential to be GOAT or come close to one of the greatest but sticking with the Cardinals really messed that up. You gotta love him though

The number 2 receiver behind Rice is probably Don Hutson, he absolutely dominated his era

I see your reasoning, but my #2 is still Chris Carter. He caught EVERYTHING thrown his way by some bad QBs

samparnell
01-31-2013, 04:32 PM
The concept of "Greatest Of All Time" is a classic example of hyperbole and has no place in the history of pro football which has so many great players, many of whom most of us didn't see play the game.

broncoFan!
01-31-2013, 04:58 PM

I know I'm biased because I'm a huge fan of Larry Fitzgerald but this dude gives 100% of an effort every time he steps foot on the field. That's more than can be said of Randy Moss, Titus Young, Santonio Holmes and a ton of other WRs in the NFL lol.

HUMCALC
01-31-2013, 05:17 PM
I know I'm biased because I'm a huge fan of Larry Fitzgerald but this dude gives 100% of an effort every time he steps foot on the field. That's more than can be said of Randy Moss, Titus Young, Santonio Holmes and a ton of other WRs in the NFL lol.

Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have a consistent QB (He never knows who's going to start) to help him out

broncoFan!
01-31-2013, 05:20 PM
Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have a consistent QB (He never knows who's going to start) to help him out

That's why he should come to Denver, and have one of the greatest QBs of all time throwing to him. ;)

HUMCALC
01-31-2013, 05:26 PM
That's why he should come to Denver, and have one of the greatest QBs of all time throwing to him. ;)

Or MINN where they have AD, Gerhart, Harvin, and Rudolph

assassin216
01-31-2013, 06:04 PM

Actually he wanted to stay in New England but the Patriots wouldnt commit to him for whatever reason.....If I had a receiver like that,I would locked him up for the rest of his career....

I somewhat agree but I don't....coulda woulda shoulda. It's easy to sit here and say he'd have been so mo much better with different QB's but who's to say he wouldn't have gotten pissed off and demanded out ala Owens?

But,me and you know that a receiver depends on the quarterback to throw him the ball...Why you think Fitzgerald is having a hard time in Arizona is because he dont have a quarterback to throw it to him....

If a receiver demands the ball,he's label a cancer but if he's quiet,everybody is wondering why he's having a bad season...its a no win situation for them....

Even the great Jerry Rice says that Moss is more talented than him.......Randy Moss is still a Hall of Famer, but if he had Rice work ethic,everybody including Rice said he would be the best receiver to ever play the game...I dont understand why this even a debate.....

So you're comparing a guy that sucker punch a teammate to a Hall of Famer and a very good receiver........:confused::confused::confused:

I dont understand why people like you think its a problem for a receiver to demand the ball(talking about Holmes).....Every single receiver want the ball,you may have some who does it in a different way but they want the ball to make their team better....??????????

Bronco51
01-31-2013, 06:47 PM
Actually he wanted to stay in New England but the Patriots wouldnt commit to him for whatever reason.....If I had a receiver like that,I would locked him up for the rest of his career....

But,me and you know that a receiver depends on the quarterback to throw him the ball...Why you think Fitzgerald is having a hard time in Arizona is because he dont have a quarterback to throw it to him....

If a receiver demands the ball,he's label a cancer but if he's quiet,everybody is wondering why he's having a bad season...its a no win situation for them....

Even the great Jerry Rice says that Moss is more talented than him.......Randy Moss is still a Hall of Famer, but if he had Rice work ethic,everybody including Rice said he would be the best receiver to ever play the game...I dont understand why this even a debate.....

So you're comparing a guy that sucker punch a teammate to a Hall of Famer and a very good receiver........:confused::confused::confused:

I dont understand why people like you think its a problem for a receiver to demand the ball(talking about Holmes).....Every single receiver want the ball,you may have some who does it in a different way but they want the ball to make their team better....??????????

He did ask for a trade from the Patriots. Some say it was because he couldn't get a new contract, some say it was because he wasn't going to be that involved (to his satisfaction) with the offense. But you are right, why would they not keep him, unless he was a malcontent.

theMileHighGuy
01-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Speaking of guys who always want the ball, where's the love for T.O.??

He's #2 in yards and top-5ish in a lot of the other big stats, not to mention tons of records. He also did it with Young, Garcia, McNabb, Romo, Kitna, Fitzpatrick, and Palmer. After his rookie season, he never had less than 750 yards in a season.

NFL records
Currently, the only player in NFL history to score a receiving TD against all 32 NFL teams
Currently, the only player in NFL history to score 2 TDs against all 32 NFL teams
Oldest player to have a TD reception of 98+ yards (35 years, 350 days)
Oldest player to have a TD reception of 78+ yards (36 years, 300 days)
Oldest player to have a 200 yard receiving game (36 years, 300 days)
Consecutive Seasons with at least 6 or more touchdowns, 2000-2010 (11) - tied with Marvin Harrison 1996-2006, Jerry Rice 1986-1996, Cris Carter 1991-2001, Tim Brown 1991-2001, Don Hutson 1935-1945
Consecutive Seasons with at least 5 or more touchdown receptions, 2000-2010 (11) - tied with Marvin Harrison 1996-2006, Jerry Rice 1986-1996, Cris Carter 1991-2001, Tim Brown 1991-2001, Don Hutson 1935-1945
Consecutive Seasons with at least 5 or more touchdowns, 2000-2010 (11) - tied with Marvin Harrison 1996-2006, Jerry Rice 1986-1996, Cris Carter 1991-2001, Tim Brown 1991-2001, Don Hutson 1935-1945
Consecutive seasons with at least 4 touchdown receptions, 1996-2010 (15)
Consecutive seasons with at least 4 touchdowns, 1996-2010 (15)
Consecutive seasons with at least 3 touchdown receptions, 1996-2010 (15)
Consecutive seasons with at least 3 touchdowns, 1996-2010 (15)
Consecutive seasons with at least 500 receiving yards, 1996-2010 (15)
Consecutive seasons with at least 750 receiving yards, 1997-2010 (14)
One of six players to have at least 2 receptions of 90+ yards

Not to mention way more entertaining than these other guys. :laugh:

fallforward3y+
02-14-2013, 11:29 PM
I'd give a slight edge to Rice, but Moss is close...I don't buy the QB argument though
A great WR will always be good, as long as he has a half decent QB...if its an absolute horrendous mess like AZ or 06 OAK then it will hurt, but top notch receivers make great plays that don't require a QB to do anything amazing, but just throw the ball in a decent spot