PDA

View Full Version : Predictions For Offseason

Denver_oner
02-09-2013, 07:03 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000136881/article/bold-predictions-for-the-nfl-offseason

Man if:

'Bengals sign Reggie Bush and Mike Wallace
The Bengals have a ton of cap space and I can't help but think of the words of Lyle Lanley who said, "A town with money is a little like the mule with the spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it." So the Bengals make a splash with Bush and Wallace. Bush is actually a great fit for Red Dalton out of the backfield and Wallace will be extra motivated for two games a year.'

'Dolphins sign Greg Jennings and Wes Welker
The Dolphins are also flush with cash and in an attempt to recreate the Marks Brothers Miami goes for two of the biggest free agents out there. Jennings has long been rumored to be on the Dolphins' short list. But when Welker is let go by the Patriots (don't act surprised, the Patriots aren't a sentimental bunch), the Dolphins will look to right one of their biggest roster wrongs in recent years. Yes, because that always works.'

Imagine if these were true. Both teams would change dramatically. Bengals with green/gresham/wallace and bush would be beastly.

ManningUp
02-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Both those teams would be playoff contenders if this happens IMO. Especially Dolphins. Wes Welker and Greg Jennings!!! But, you have to remember who the Dolphins QB is..... regardless they would be a tough contender.

Denver_oner
02-09-2013, 08:46 PM
It all depends on the owner.

Charlie Brown
02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
We suffer from RGIII comeback fatigue

Get ready to hear this a lot in the coming months, "Up next, an update on RGIII's rehab." I'm not saying it's going to make us long for Brett Favre to make a return or something (sorry to cause flashbacks, Scott Hanson) but we're going to hear about RGIII. A lot. I say he's ready for Week 1.

And some bonus QB predictions (I'm pretty giving, no?), Alex Smith ends up in Cleveland with Norv Turner, Matt Flynn stays in Seattle and Michael Vick is your new quarterback of the Cardinals.

Alex Smith goes to Cleveland? He's already there - he's the TE/FB.

He means Alex Smith the Quarterback? The 49ers guy? No thanks. Not interested - would rather have Weeden as crappy as he is than go with some other team's reject.

BroncoSexyDaddy
02-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Alex Smith Signs with Kansas City

Denver signs Wes Welker
Denver signs Ed Reed
Denver trades for Revis

58_VONDOOM_92
02-10-2013, 09:44 PM

Denver signs Wes Welker
Denver signs Ed Reed
Denver trades for Revis

Now that would be awesome and then we woke up lol

dsmith275
02-11-2013, 12:49 AM
The Arizona Cardinals trade a mid to late round pick to the Cowboys for Kyle Orton.

This could be a fun thread to help fill the void of not football right now, let's see some crazzy predictions!

Kansas Bob
02-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Denver trades Manning, Miller and their first and third round draft pick for Kyle Orton. Then we all wake up screaming and wanting to kill someone, anyone!!!!! lol
Seriously, I think Denver has learned their lesson in signing "big name" rejects from other teams. I think we will be careful in FA signings, signing very few free agents and resign our own FA's that has improvement capibilities. I think we ought to try to extend Miller for two or three more years. We will shop very wisely. I think the teams that spend heavy will be the ones with fairly new coaching staffs (that want to keep their jobs).

BroncoFanBoy
02-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Alex Smith goes to Cleveland? He's already there - he's the TE/FB.

He means Alex Smith the Quarterback? The 49ers guy? No thanks. Not interested - would rather have Weeden as crappy as he is than go with some other team's reject.

Smith was nearly in a Super Bowl once. He's still a decent QB. I think that would be a smart move by the Browns. The only reason he would likely leave is because Kaepernick really outplayed him.

Broncoholic JS
02-11-2013, 04:46 PM

Denver signs Wes Welker
Denver signs Ed Reed
Denver trades for Revis

Then we become the Denver Eagles. I would hope to see the opposite effect though, with winning!!

I would love this idea though!!

Yakka27
02-11-2013, 07:31 PM
I hope Alex Smith is a Cardinal next year and gets a chance for some revenge!

broncos SB2010
02-11-2013, 08:19 PM

Denver signs Wes Welker
Denver signs Ed Reed
Denver trades for Revis

Nick Foles to KC

Charlie Brown
02-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Smith was nearly in a Super Bowl once. He's still a decent QB. I think that would be a smart move by the Browns. The only reason he would likely leave is because Kaepernick really outplayed him.

That would be an idiotic move by the Browns. Instead of addressing team needs they go off and trade everything they have to the 49ers for their quarterback? Moves like that and the team deserves to be the worst in the NFL. They are asking for it.

The team has no wide receivers other than Gordon. Trading the farm for a quarterback from a different team just because he is the backup to a player that took the team to the super bowl is idiotic.

PowderAddict
02-12-2013, 09:18 AM
That would be an idiotic move by the Browns. Instead of addressing team needs they go off and trade everything they have to the 49ers for their quarterback? Moves like that and the team deserves to be the worst in the NFL. They are asking for it.

The team has no wide receivers other than Gordon. Trading the farm for a quarterback from a different team just because he is the backup to a player that took the team to the super bowl is idiotic.

Why would they have to trade "Everything they have"??

BroncoFanBoy
02-12-2013, 05:18 PM

Trading for Smith wouldn't be like trading for Jay Cutler back in 2009. The 49ers would probably take a 4th for him or something. That wouldn't be a bad move. At worst, he's better than Weeden. Smith would probably be starting in a lot of places. San Francisco just suddenly became not one of them.

broncos SB2010
02-12-2013, 07:44 PM

weeden is older than Smith. Smith is twice the QB Weeden is. I would trade a mid round pick for Smith in a heartbeat if I were them.

Jarvis Jones

Cobi Hamilton
----Alex Smith---
Conner Vernon
Hugh Thornton
Eric Martin

That would be a great draft for the Browns, imo.

Charlie Brown
02-13-2013, 12:38 AM

They have nothing. The only way to build the team is through the draft - the team does not have a second round selection this year. They have a 1st and then a 3rd (and then subsequent rounds). Trading for anything when they can instead build through the draft is foolish.

The team needs to build through the draft - not put all of their eggs in one basket and not a good basket at that. Smith played well this year - with the 49ers with their talented offensive players.

Do you honestly think that there is a Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, and Frank Gore in Cleveland? There isn't. Further, Smith is on record as having a 1 TD and 11 interception season. In his best year with Turner, he had 16 touchdowns and 16 interceptions. The best of those numbers (1TD/1INT ratio) isn't much better than the play the Browns have been getting out of their quarterbacks as of late.

beastlyskronk
02-13-2013, 01:16 AM
They have nothing. The only way to build the team is through the draft - the team does not have a second round selection this year. They have a 1st and then a 3rd (and then subsequent rounds). Trading for anything when they can instead build through the draft is foolish.

The team needs to build through the draft - not put all of their eggs in one basket and not a good basket at that. Smith played well this year - with the 49ers with their talented offensive players.

Do you honestly think that there is a Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, and Frank Gore in Cleveland? There isn't. Further, Smith is on record as having a 1 TD and 11 interception season. In his best year with Turner, he had 16 touchdowns and 16 interceptions. The best of those numbers (1TD/1INT ratio) isn't much better than the play the Browns have been getting out of their quarterbacks as of late.

They wouldn't have to trade everything though. The 49ers aren't just going to hang on to Smith all year next year, if they can't trade him they'll release him and that kills his value. I don't see any team getting into a bidding war over Alex Smith. A 3rd rounder would probably be the most the 49ers can get for Smith and that'd be a good move for the Browns because he's better than both Weeden and McCoy. He has a few pieces already there in Joe Thomas, Josh Gordon, Alex Mack, and Trent Richardson. There are a couple of players that may step up such as Travis Benjamin, Jordan Cameron, Jordan Norwood, and Mitchell Schwartz. Ryan Miller and Jarrod Shaw are some guys that can be developed into solid OGs. Are you going to get an immediate starter in the 3rd round? Probably not, but Alex Smith would be an immediate starter. And the Browns could probably get an extra pick if they can move McCoy. Smith would make all these guys better players than if Weeden would anyway.

Charlie Brown
02-13-2013, 08:28 AM
They wouldn't have to trade everything though. The 49ers aren't just going to hang on to Smith all year next year, if they can't trade him they'll release him and that kills his value. I don't see any team getting into a bidding war over Alex Smith. A 3rd rounder would probably be the most the 49ers can get for Smith and that'd be a good move for the Browns because he's better than both Weeden and McCoy. He has a few pieces already there in Joe Thomas, Josh Gordon, Alex Mack, and Trent Richardson. There are a couple of players that may step up such as Travis Benjamin, Jordan Cameron, Jordan Norwood, and Mitchell Schwartz. Ryan Miller and Jarrod Shaw are some guys that can be developed into solid OGs. Are you going to get an immediate starter in the 3rd round? Probably not, but Alex Smith would be an immediate starter. And the Browns could probably get an extra pick if they can move McCoy. Smith would make all these guys better players than if Weeden would anyway.

The Browns have no players comparable with those on the 49ers. Harbaugh is not coming over. Harbaugh`s assistants are not coming over. The season that Turner was with the 49ers, Smith had 16TD/16INT. That was with players more talented than in Cleveland. Smith`s play would NOT be an improvement over Weeden nor McCoy.

Trading for him = more of the same. Keep the draft selections and address team needs.

PowderAddict
02-13-2013, 08:41 AM
I agree that Smith wouldn't really be an upgrade, but it wouldn't take "everything they have" to acquire him.

I personally do not think Smith is all that good of a QB. I hope he ends up in KC.

broncos SB2010
02-13-2013, 02:19 PM
The Browns have no players comparable with those on the 49ers. Harbaugh is not coming over. Harbaugh`s assistants are not coming over. The season that Turner was with the 49ers, Smith had 16TD/16INT. That was with players more talented than in Cleveland. Smith`s play would NOT be an improvement over Weeden nor McCoy.

Trading for him = more of the same. Keep the draft selections and address team needs.

I can't believe anyone thinks Smith isn't an upgrade over Weeden. He is terrible and already 30 next season. We might have already seen the best Weeden has to offer. You say Smith had a bad season with Turner....wait until Weeden has a season with Turner.

beastlyskronk
02-13-2013, 02:41 PM

I don't think you can really say that the 2006 49ers have way more talent than the Cleveland Browns do now, on offense or defense. Their leading receivers were Arnaz Battle, Antonio Bryant, and Eric Johnson. Vernon Davis was a rookie, but he struggled a lot his rookie year. Josh Gordon and Greg Little are better than Battle and Bryant. Frank Gore led the team in receptions and had a career year, and he is better than what the Browns have but Trent Richardson isn't a horrible option. Also that was Alex Smith's 2nd season in the NFL and he showed a ton of improvement over his 1 TD and 11 INTs as a rookie. A 4th and a conditional pick next year wouldn't be a bad move

Charlie Brown
02-13-2013, 04:44 PM
I can't believe anyone thinks Smith isn't an upgrade over Weeden. He is terrible and already 30 next season. We might have already seen the best Weeden has to offer. You say Smith had a bad season with Turner....wait until Weeden has a season with Turner.

Alex Smith w/ Turner

257/442
58.1%
2,890 yards
6.54 avg
16 TD
16 INT
74.8 QBR

Brandon Weeden rookie year (w/ Shurmur)

297/517
57.4%
3,384 yards
6.55 avg
14 TD
17 INT
72.6 QBR

The difference is negligible. Further, as I stated earlier, Alex Smith accomplished this with players that were much more talented than any player currently on the Browns. The Browns best tight end is Benjamin Watson. Watson!! It would be far cheaper and far more productive to just keep Weeden than to trade for Alex Smith.

Now, you tell me who is the better offensive coach? Norv Turner or Shurmur? I am going to assume that you will say that it is Turner. So, if Weeden can put up those numbers with Shurmur - what can he do with somebody that you bill as an "offensive genius" like Turner?!

-Rod-
02-13-2013, 08:21 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/130771/geno-smith

West Virginia QB Geno Smith's former position coach, Jake Spavital, called the Mountaineer a "film junkie."

"I got him an iPad (to watch tape) so he’d go to class," said Spavital. "I think it’s a no-brainer to take the first quarterback overall. I've been around some pretty good ones and I've never seen a guy that’s this complete as a quarterback. And he’s hungry." Spavital has coached Brandon Weeden, Case Keenum, and is currently on the Texas A&M staff. "He studies it," Spavital said. "With Brandon Weeden, I couldn't say that about him."

Feb 13 - 2:38 PM

Ouch. This can't be good.

Charlie Brown
02-14-2013, 01:29 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/130771/geno-smith

Ouch. This can't be good.

What? That none of the QB`s watch film as much as Geno Smith? Just because you watch a lot of film that doesn`t make you great. Also, just because Weeden doesn`t watch as much doesn`t make Weeden `bad` as no QB watches As much film as Smith (Geno).

BroncoFanBoy
02-14-2013, 10:58 AM
What? That none of the QB`s watch film as much as Geno Smith? Just because you watch a lot of film that doesn`t make you great. Also, just because Weeden doesn`t watch as much doesn`t make Weeden `bad` as no QB watches As much film as Smith (Geno).

I would argue that it says something about Weeden's work ethic.

beastlyskronk
02-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Alex Smith w/ Turner

257/442
58.1%
2,890 yards
6.54 avg
16 TD
16 INT
74.8 QBR

Brandon Weeden rookie year (w/ Shurmur)

297/517
57.4%
3,384 yards
6.55 avg
14 TD
17 INT
72.6 QBR

The difference is negligible. Further, as I stated earlier, Alex Smith accomplished this with players that were much more talented than any player currently on the Browns. The Browns best tight end is Benjamin Watson. Watson!! It would be far cheaper and far more productive to just keep Weeden than to trade for Alex Smith.

Now, you tell me who is the better offensive coach? Norv Turner or Shurmur? I am going to assume that you will say that it is Turner. So, if Weeden can put up those numbers with Shurmur - what can he do with somebody that you bill as an "offensive genius" like Turner?!

Eric Johnson was the best TE on the 49ers that year, yes he did have a season in which he had 82 receptions (2004), but after his injury in 2005 he wasn't the same. He was let go after 2006, he went to the Saints for one year and never played again. Vernon Davis only had 20 receptions that year. Benjamin Watson did better than both of them last year with Weeden.

bears6385
02-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Bears off season.

1) LT Jake Long

2) WR Mike Wallace

3) TE Jared Cook

Charlie Brown
02-16-2013, 02:34 PM
I would argue that it says something about Weeden's work ethic.

Not at all. The article that you cite focuses on the work ethic of Geno Smith. Geno Smith's work ethic, it claims, is second to none when it involves studying film. Brandon Weeden is mentioned as a player whose studying of film does not match Geno Smith's study of film. It doesn't demean Weeden. It simply puts Geno Smith on a pedestal and claims that NO QB matches his study of film.

It doesn't mean Geno Smith is a good quarterback. It doesn't mean that Weeden is a bad quarterback. It simply says that Geno Smith is a great quarterback because he studies a lot of film.

Charlie Brown
02-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Eric Johnson was the best TE on the 49ers that year, yes he did have a season in which he had 82 receptions (2004), but after his injury in 2005 he wasn't the same. He was let go after 2006, he went to the Saints for one year and never played again. Vernon Davis only had 20 receptions that year. Benjamin Watson did better than both of them last year with Weeden.

Actually, no he did not. Tight ends are considered to be major targets in the endzone. Sure, last year Watson had 49 receptions compared to Vernon Davis' 20 his rookie year. However, Watson had 3 touchdowns for those 49 receptions while Vernon Davis, with his mere 20 receptions, matched Watson's touchdown total. So, though Watson had more receptions - Vernon Davis had a much larger impact on his team.

So, once again, I reiterate that Benjamin Watson is nowhere near the talent level that Vernon Davis is.

beastlyskronk
02-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Actually, no he did not. Tight ends are considered to be major targets in the endzone. Sure, last year Watson had 49 receptions compared to Vernon Davis' 20 his rookie year. However, Watson had 3 touchdowns for those 49 receptions while Vernon Davis, with his mere 20 receptions, matched Watson's touchdown total. So, though Watson had more receptions - Vernon Davis had a much larger impact on his team.

So, once again, I reiterate that Benjamin Watson is nowhere near the talent level that Vernon Davis is.

How did Vernon Davis have a much bigger impact on his team? Just because he had the same amount of TDs doesn't mean much other than that he caught 3 TDs. Davis was not very good his rookie year. He caught 20 of 42 passes, less than 50%. Watson caught 49 of 82 passes which is over 50% by a good bit. Watson also had 502 yards compared to Vernon's 265. Over half of Watson's catches were for a first down while Davis was a bit under that.

Charlie Brown
02-16-2013, 03:04 PM
How did Vernon Davis have a much bigger impact on his team? Just because he had the same amount of TDs doesn't mean much other than that he caught 3 TDs. Davis was not very good his rookie year. He caught 20 of 42 passes, less than 50%. Watson caught 49 of 82 passes which is over 50% by a good bit. Watson also had 502 yards compared to Vernon's 265. Over half of Watson's catches were for a first down while Davis was a bit under that.

What is the biggest impact that a player can have as an offensive player and primary redzone target? Touchdowns. A much greater proportion of Vernon Davis' receptions were for touchdowns than were Watson's. It is simple mathematics.

3 out of 20 is a much larger proportion of the total than 3 out of 49. So, even though they are the same number they have very different impact on their teams.

Further, Vernon Davis was a rookie as you state so yourself. One can garner that his play would only improve since he was a highly touted rookie. Whereas Watson is a 32 year old free agent that very likely will cease to play in the NFL. The 49ers were a team with many, many promising players when Turner was their offensive coordinator. The Browns are the complete opposite. They are a team that once again is being rebuilt - then, next year, the team will be rebuilt again. Cleveland is a team in a perpetual rebuilding stage. Cleveland is LESS stable than the 49ers were when Turner was there. There are less talented players in Cleveland. Alex Smith had talent around him - and he still struggled. Weeden, with as little talent as there is in Cleveland, put up very similar numbers to Alex Smith when his offensive coordinator was Turner.

Alex Smith would be a waste of money and precious draft selections. Weeden is making only a fraction of what Alex Smith is and puts up similar numbers. No way, no how should Cleveland even ATTEMPT at getting Alex Smith nor any other quarterback for that matter.

Cleveland seems to get a new quarterback EVERY OTHER YEAR. Now, you want them to get a new quarterback EVERY YEAR? That is even worse!! That is a horrible precedent.

fallforward3y+
02-16-2013, 09:30 PM

More so, what exactly do they have *****

Charlie Brown
02-16-2013, 10:24 PM
More so, what exactly do they have *****

Exactly, they don't have jack.

They have a first rounder, then they do not select again until the third round. Trading for a quarterback, or wasting a draft selection on a quarterback, would be a complete waste when they have so many needs on all sides of the field.