PDA

View Full Version : Option offense's critics are ridiculous

fallforward3y+
02-16-2013, 09:22 PM
I keep hearing all this nonsense about how you need a pocket QB to win the superbowl, as if somehow a QB running hurts their team..and no matter what the evidence says, they still say "it will never work"

I once heard someone say after the NFCC game:Sunday's game proved the option has no place in the NFL, the main teams that run it are all gone, and SFO is the only one left

interesting, so the game where a team that has an option QB beat a team with a conventional pocket one proved that it has no place in the league..and because there was "only one" of the 4 teams who run it was remaining at a time when only 2 teams of 32 were left(not to mention that they all were in the NFC so only one could be,lol)that's evidence it doesn't work?*****

If not for a miracle comeback by Atlanta, its 2 option teams in the NFCC game, and I bet there are fools out there who actually think option vs pocket was the difference in the Superbowl, not SF's turnovers or the KO return

Conventionalists, get over yourself. The option will succeed in the NFL, and there is not some fundamental formula to shut it down.

samparnell
02-16-2013, 11:17 PM
College careers only last two or three years. NFL teams expect more longevity from all players, especially quarterback.

Running Option in the NFL will shorten a QB's career mostly because the ball is put into play from the middle of the field (i.e., no short/wide side).

Spread Option is widespread at the FBS level sending many quarterbacks to the pros who can run it and Pistol. It works if the QB can be an integral part of the rushing attack.

Any Option attack must be defended by playing assignments. The more pro teams that run it, the more accustomed to defending it pro defenses will become. The expertise is available. Chris Ault's Pistol was shut out by Rocky Long's 3-3-5 in the 2007 New Mexico Bowl.

theMileHighGuy
02-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Traditional pocket quarterbacks will be the minority within the next decade or so. When you have a quarterback who is an accurate passer as well as a running threat, it's very hard to stop. It's a different level of creativity you can have with a QB that can do it all. The spread offense is hotter than ever in college football, so you're going to see more of these guys every year, and no shortage of NFL gms that want on the train.

Like Sam eluded to defenses will adapt as well. Alas, it is the ever evolving chess match of football.

samparnell
02-17-2013, 09:10 AM
The Pistol is a better system than Spread Option and can be run without the read option component. Now that Chris Ault is available as a consultant, some NFL teams may pick his brain. Pistol has much more to its rushing attack than Spread Option and includes elements of Wing-T and Veer.

fallforward3y+
02-17-2013, 01:36 PM
College careers only last two or three years. NFL teams expect more longevity from all players, especially quarterback.

Running Option in the NFL will shorten a QB's career mostly because the ball is put into play from the middle of the field (i.e., no short/wide side).

Spread Option is widespread at the FBS level sending many quarterbacks to the pros who can run it and Pistol. It works if the QB can be an integral part of the rushing attack.

Any Option attack must be defended by playing assignments. The more pro teams that run it, the more accustomed to defending it pro defenses will become. The expertise is available. Chris Ault's Pistol was shut out by Rocky Long's 3-3-5 in the 2007 New Mexico Bowl.

it wont necessarily shorten their career, though everyone says it will. When RG3 got hurt it was because he was in an awkward position to try and go down, ironically if he had taken the tackler on it probably never would have happened. Running the ball 9 or 10 times a game is not going to kill you from being overworked, many players do it all the time..its not like QBs are especially vulnerable. They just should basically only take on 1 tackler, never 2, always run to the outside make contact happen at an angle.

Defenses like the Steelers act like they can stop anything,especially unconventional offenses..but remember when Vick played for Atlanta..2 meetings with Pittsburgh, 34 and 41 points...I cant recall any time that Pitts scored 38 points in a game and lost. I'm not saying its going to light up the NFL completely, and every team that masters it is going to regularly roll 40 and 50 burgers over their opponents, what I'm saying is that there isn't some defensive formula that is going to shut it down. If its shut down, it will be due to poor execution not some formula that it can't succeed against.

As for the pistol, well perhaps. But I'm not necessarily referring to the option specifically, just any offense with a running QB. I'm referring to the fans who think a running QB can't win a Superbowl. Also, you don't necessarily have to only run when it will get you a big chunk of yards. Its not a good idea for the QB to be running up the gut into a pile, but just because theres a tackler in front of you doesn't mean running is nada.

Tebow runs basically like a RB, if you can get a 1 on 1 situation, and get atleast to the LOS(preferably a little further) before you get hit you can run it..Tebow will actually fall forward through a tackler and get more yards, sometimes break it. The great thing about it is, if your smart no negative rushes will happen. If they get more than 1 guy in front of you, or get to where they can hit you in the backfield, just throw it. That way they can't play you with standard run defense.

fallforward3y+
02-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Traditional pocket quarterbacks will be the minority within the next decade or so. When you have a quarterback who is an accurate passer as well as a running threat, it's very hard to stop. It's a different level of creativity you can have with a QB that can do it all. The spread offense is hotter than ever in college football, so you're going to see more of these guys every year, and no shortage of NFL gms that want on the train.

Like Sam eluded to defenses will adapt as well. Alas, it is the ever evolving chess match of football.

as defenses figure it out more, offenses will learn more ways to get around it..as I said before, offenses that run it wont roll 40 and 50 burgers regularly like some of them have done recently, but it will be good and more than likely favorable over a pocket passer QB in the future

Basically, it does have a place in the league, and there is not some formula that shuts it down, just discipline to contain it but not stop it completely. And it definitely does not prevent a team from winning a SB, and the notion that you need a pocket QB to win a SB is ridiculous. Enough teams just haven't run it for one to win it yet, but it'll happen soon.

I heard crap like "Falcons will never win a SB with Vick", despite how many problems that team had. They had bad defenses all except one year, at time they would alternate between bad run d and bad pass d, but either way bad d overall. Not to mention lacking in the WR department, and bad play calling in general. I guess none of those things could have been it,lol