PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith Going To KC

Broncoholic JS
02-24-2013, 01:04 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000144174/article/alex-smith-drawing-interest-from-kansas-city-chiefs

What does everyone think about this?

Charlie Brown
02-24-2013, 01:07 AM
I would prefer this over the Browns getting him. The Browns cannot change quarterbacks every year and expect "stability", it just doesn't work that way.

BroncoSexyDaddy
02-24-2013, 04:32 AM
The Chiefs won't trade for Alex Smith,he will get released.The 49ers are 1.3 million under the salary cap for 2013 and Alex is counting over 9 million of that.Teams will gamble and wait for him to be released imo.He goes to the highest bidder in free agency.

58_VONDOOM_92
02-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Honestly would like Alex Smith to go to the Chiefs. IMO he's another game manager. The Niners knew it or they would have never benched him in the middle of the season.

Make it happen Chiefs.....

samparnell
02-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Alex Smith could end up with the Chiefs, but it depends on what Andy Reid thinks. I have a hard time believing Reid likes the QBs he already has. Does Andy think Smith could do better? Probably, but what would it take to get him? Also, we'll find out what Reid thinks of the rookie prospects. Reid is a WCO guy and Smith could fit into that type of offense.

BroncoFanBoy
02-24-2013, 01:30 PM
I heard they prefer Alex over Geno. I think he's gonna end up there.

Yakka27
02-24-2013, 02:15 PM
The Chiefs won't trade for Alex Smith,he will get released.The 49ers are 1.3 million under the salary cap for 2013 and Alex is counting over 9 million of that.Teams will gamble and wait for him to be released imo.He goes to the highest bidder in free agency.

There is a 0% chance Alex Smith gets released. Even with Alex Smith's contract the 9ers only have 10 million tied up in the QB position. He'll either get traded or kept as a back up.

the0rangecrush
02-24-2013, 04:39 PM
@JasonLaCanfora: The 49ers have expressed to others that a deal for QB Alex Smith is effectively complete. Can't be finalized til league year begins 3/12

Can't wait to find out who, c'mon Cheifs

18to88
02-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Yes reports starting to come out that it is the Chiefs.

They just become a .500+ team I think.

THEdraftnik
02-24-2013, 04:43 PM
In other news the Chiefs have likely traded for another QB that can't throw the football to his WRs consistently. Expect a big year from Tony Moeaki fantasy wise.

gtown53
02-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Matt Cassel, 2.0.

-Rod-
02-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Interesting because now Geno Smith might become a Raider. Carson Palmer obviously is not their future and I believe the post-Al Davis regime will try to establish some continuity and keep Dennis Allen there for a while.

Captain_23
02-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Interesting because now Geno Smith might become a Raider. Carson Palmer obviously is not their future and I believe the post-Al Davis regime will try to establish some continuity and keep Dennis Allen there for a while.

As long as Von stays healthy and keeps playing at an All-Pro level Im not worried about no QB that comes in and out of this division.. Philip Rivers owned us until we got Von Miller.

JayJack
02-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Could be a good move. I'm more curious to see him perform at a high level without Harbough.

samparnell
02-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Andy Reid is a WCO guy. Alex Smith may fit well in that system and the Chiefs have some of the pieces already in place.

-Rod-
02-24-2013, 04:58 PM
As long as Von stays healthy and keeps playing at an All-Pro level Im not worried about no QB that comes in and out of this division.. Philip Rivers owned us until we got Von Miller.

Right now I think AFC West teams should focus on having not only a quality LT, but also a quality RT. After all, Von Miller rushes a lot from the right side of the offense and Del Rio moves him from side to side. I won't be surprised if the Raiders are considering an OT (either Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher) at #3 to improve Carson Palmer's protection.

EDIT: And the Chargers' best shot will be Lane Johnson at #11.

samparnell
02-24-2013, 05:00 PM
If, in fact, the Chiefs get Alex Smith, I think they go OT with their first pick. It may create a run on OTs in the beginning of the first round.

Lukic
02-24-2013, 05:01 PM
The Raiders definitely won't go LT. Jared Veldheer is young and a borderline top 10 tackle.

samparnell
02-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Rodd said RT, too, because of Von Miller.

bronco30
02-24-2013, 05:11 PM
KC now takes joeckel...faiders i bet will let palmer n pryor fight it out n prolly draft DT they have 4 FA DT's but since its deep draft at dt fisher may go...SD may sign albert from KC or take lane johnson cheaper option...

Kyousukeneko
well the broncos do also have dumervil which is another elite passrusher

JayJack
Rodd said RT, too, because of Von Miller.

Which makes the need for a penetrating 3tech even more greater. Trading up for Sheldon Richardson sounds good to me!

Captain_23
02-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Which makes the need for a penetrating 3tech even more. Trading up for Sheldon Richardson sounds good to me!

^^^^ dis dude (In my Stephen A. voice) has Richardson as his avi lmbo... Im guilty of wanting my favorite players on the Broncos too, I think we all are.. lol Carry on!!

dieselpower
02-24-2013, 05:20 PM
i/m a little worried that reid is over with the chiefs now.

and i'm also getting tired of them having a top 5 pick every year.

samparnell
02-24-2013, 05:20 PM
^^^^ dis dude (In my Stephen A. voice) has Richardson as his avi lmbo... Im guilty of wanting my favorite players on the Broncos too, I think we all are.. lol Carry on!!

You are most observant. :D

THEdraftnik
02-24-2013, 05:21 PM

Well when a guy is as good as Richardson it's hard not to.

bronco30
02-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Andy Reid is a WCO guy. Alex Smith may fit well in that system and the Chiefs have some of the pieces already in place.

yes they got the pieces bowe baldwin charles moeaki pretty good o-line...itll be interesting if they stay 3-4 bcz they have 2 good rushers in hali n houston they need a CB opposite flowers theyll be tough....

JayJack
02-24-2013, 05:30 PM

Yeah Capt, it's been there all year! Pairing him up with Von and DOOM would be illegal. God forbid if we can add a NT that offer a little pass rush!

Captain_23
02-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Yeah Capt, it's been there all year! Pairing him up with Von and DOOM would be illegal. God forbid if we can add a NT that offer a little pass rush!

That may carry a 25 to life sentence without the possibility of parole.

one5beast
02-24-2013, 06:54 PM
So they'll probably let Cassell go. They trade for Alex Smith. If Albert doesn't re-sign then draft Joeckel. They'll probably tag Dwayne Bowe. They did a lot to do nothing.

Rancid
02-24-2013, 07:24 PM
There is a 0% chance Alex Smith gets released. Even with Alex Smith's contract the 9ers only have 10 million tied up in the QB position. He'll either get traded or kept as a back up.

10-Mil? I believe I read both Smith and Kapernick are around a half-Mil each.

KC taking Smith is the most reasonable move for both. Smith feels betrayed and wants out of SF. KC needs a capable QB. Anyone can see this coming a mile away.

broncos SB2010
02-24-2013, 07:43 PM
So they'll probably let Cassell go. They trade for Alex Smith. If Albert doesn't re-sign then draft Joeckel. They'll probably tag Dwayne Bowe. They did a lot to do nothing.

They very well might re-sign Albert AND draft Joeckel. I don't think they do but it's very possible. Put Albert on a 1 year deal and draft Jeockel than one of them could play RT if they wanted.

MHS
02-24-2013, 07:48 PM
I think chiefs will do just as 49ers did, have smith start and groom a guy for a year or two behind him.

Chiefs do have a lot of talent on their team just need a good QB to start competing

JW7
02-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Feel bad for chiefs fans if it is true. An average qb who will never win a championship. I think they should've tried to develope Geno.

-Rod-
02-24-2013, 07:49 PM
And Alex Smith will have to learn one more offensive system. He must be excited.

broncos SB2010
02-24-2013, 08:41 PM
10-Mil? I believe I read both Smith and Kapernick are around a half-Mil each.

KC taking Smith is the most reasonable move for both. Smith feels betrayed and wants out of SF. KC needs a capable QB. Anyone can see this coming a mile away.

Smith is due $7.5M + a $1M bonus in march

Alaskajoe
02-24-2013, 10:00 PM
And Alex Smith will have to learn one more offensive system. He must be excited.

Yea but what's the alternative? Taking a pay cut to sit behind the man who took your job....

baphamet
02-24-2013, 10:25 PM
whatever the chiefs do they are likely not getting their QB for the future this year, they are a year late with that pick.

BroncoSexyDaddy
02-24-2013, 10:49 PM
There is a 0% chance Alex Smith gets released. Even with Alex Smith's contract the 9ers only have 10 million tied up in the QB position. He'll either get traded or kept as a back up.From what i heard,the 9ers are trying to put together a mega deal to get Wes Welker as soon as free agency hits.So the money has to come from somewhere if they are 1.5 million under the cap.I still say they release Alex Smith if no teams trade for him.

-Rod-
02-25-2013, 07:58 AM
My issues with Alex Smith are: A) After 8 seasons he was a 16-game starter only twice. B) His best mark is 18 TD passes in a regular season. And even with his mobility, he has 4 rushing TDs in his career. He can manage the game and keep the turnovers low, but is this a guy you would seek to turn the franchise around? Just to put things in perspective, the "awful" Tebow, that nobody wants, scored 18 TDs in his second season and Alex Smith never scored more than 19 total TDs. If he is a just a "stopgap", and that's what he probably is, it will be interesting to see the compensation. Maybe the Chiefs just got robbed.

MorenoFan27
02-25-2013, 09:29 AM
It makes me laugh when people still think Alex Smith is a bad QB.

Ohenhen12345
02-25-2013, 09:49 AM
I am not worried about this move. I was actually more concerned with the Chiefs drafting guys like Geno Smith or Matt Barkley. Alex Smith is okay, average, nothing special.

OrangeCrush_304
02-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Good QB for Reid's west coast system.

FL BRONCO
02-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Feel bad for chiefs fans if it is true. An average qb who will never win a championship. I think they should've tried to develope Geno.

have to disagree here. He had his team poised to go to the superbowl last year and would have if his teammate hadn't fumbled twice to hand the game away and he was wel on his way to repeaat this year before the injury and subsequent benching because Harb didn't draft him and wasn't his guy. I'm not saying he is elite but he has definitely proved capable including in the big games and with the right team I could easily see him winning it all. I think Reid and the wco will be a good fit for him and he will probably do well. I still think we are a lot better and that will be their downfall but I think he just improved that team a good bit if he is traded their,

BroncoFanNC
02-25-2013, 09:20 PM
have to disagree here. He had his team poised to go to the superbowl last year and would have if his teammate hadn't fumbled twice to hand the game away and he was wel on his way to repeaat this year before the injury and subsequent benching because Harb didn't draft him and wasn't his guy. I'm not saying he is elite but he has definitely proved capable including in the big games and with the right team I could easily see him winning it all. I think Reid and the wco will be a good fit for him and he will probably do well. I still think we are a lot better and that will be their downfall but I think he just improved that team a good bit if he is traded their,

He hasn't shown consistency, part of it is probably having a new OC every year, which will be the case again if he is traded. Wouldn't be surprised if he looks inconsistent again. For all we know Jim just got the most out of him for the year and half he was there.

#24 Next Champ
02-25-2013, 11:13 PM
yes they got the pieces bowe baldwin charles moeaki pretty good o-line...itll be interesting if they stay 3-4 bcz they have 2 good rushers in hali n houston they need a CB opposite flowers theyll be tough....

Ftr, Moeaki sucks

And Baldwin really sucks so far in his career

CanDB
02-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Just saw it on NFL Network......Breaking News

Alex Smith for KC's 2nd round pick and other. Not official, and can not be sealed until March 12th, but probably a done deal.

Saw this one coming way back. Good opportunity for KC to make a splash this year. They now have a QB, likely a #1 OT at the draft.

San Fran gets almost a 1st rounder.....as long as they stay healthy, they are going to be tough for some time.

-Rod-
02-27-2013, 10:36 AM
The 49ers, a Super Bowl team, now have draft picks #31 and #34. Oh dear.

CanDB
02-27-2013, 10:39 AM
The 49ers, a Super Bowl team, now have draft picks #31 and #34. Oh dear.

Oh dear indeed!

Good trade for both teams!!! Lots of immediate impact likely.

(Dang....I was hoping KC would go for a less proven QB commodity!)

CanDB
02-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Looks like it just did happen!

Den615
02-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Smith is a huge improvement over cassel, but man they gave up a lot to get him. Also at the present time Harbaugh is considered the best QB guru in the league. Reid has really struggled with Mcnabb, Vick, Kolb, and Foles (although it is too soon to judge him). So I wouldn't expect him to improve much under Reid. San Francisco also had much better weapons in the receiving game and a better o-line than KC does.

It's an improvement for sure...maybe bumps you up to 6 or 7 wins, but giving up a 2nd round pick and change is way too much, and now you have committed to him as more than a stop gap. Risky move IMO.

This is what I said in the smack section. I think KC gave up way too much and now they are committed to a QB who on his best day was slightly above average with some pretty elite offensive talent around him (not to mention a dominant defense). Charles is better than Gore, but after that I think SF has KC beat at every offensive position. Crabtree and Bowe are probably a draw, but Crabtree looked like a Pro Bowler once Kaepernick replaced Smith.

KC probably becomes the second best team in the division with the additions of Reid and Smith, but even if they find a way to retain Bowe and Albert it will be tough for them to finish above .500.

CanDB
02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
This is what I said in the smack section. I think KC gave up way too much and now they are committed to a QB who on his best day was slightly above average with some pretty elite offensive talent around him (not to mention a dominant defense). Charles is better than Gore, but after that I think SF has KC beat at every offensive position. Crabtree and Bowe are probably a draw, but Crabtree looked like a Pro Bowler once Kaepernick replaced Smith.

KC probably becomes the second best team in the division with the additions of Reid and Smith, but even if they find a way to retain Bowe and Albert it will be tough for them to finish above .500.

It will be interesting to see if they let Albert go.....which is quite likely. LukeJ is their future LT, or so it appears.

For the record......it's KC's 2nd rounder and a conditional in 2014.

sbxxxiichamps
02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
KC becomes a mediocre team now, rather than the worst team. I don't think Alex Smith is all that, but at the same time he can manage a game effectively. KC will have to surround him with some more talent (Luke Joeckel) and receiving weapons to become a playoff threat however.

Overall Id say good moves on both sides.

Really interested to see how the draft goes down with San Fran to! They can either take 2 players late in a deep draft or maybe use these picks as ammo to jump up and get a potential dominate rookie!

roushmartin6
02-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Kyle Orton all over again, without the phantom sacks. A 2nd round pick that high was too much for him. But I guess they were desperate

Yakka27
02-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Dang, one concussion and it sends Alex Smith from being the QB of a Super Bowl contender to the worst team in the league.

Den615
02-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Really interested to see how the draft goes down with San Fran to! They can either take 2 players late in a deep draft or maybe use these picks as ammo to jump up and get a potential dominate rookie!

Agreed. How many picks do they have now? They have 5 picks out of the first 93 and I think I read somewhere that they have 12 picks total? Plus they already have pretty solid depth at most positions. A trade up (or two) would make a lot of sense. Otherwise they will have to cut some proven players or talented rookies to get down to 53.

Freyaka
02-27-2013, 11:36 AM
I personally think this is a good move for the chiefs and I think seeing as they've been a QB away for years this will turn them competitive again.

HavoK471
02-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Oh dear indeed!

Good trade for both teams!!! Lots of immediate impact likely.

(Dang....I was hoping KC would go for a less proven QB commodity!)

I disagree, although Alex Smith isn't terrible I don't think he was worth an incredibly high 2nd round pick plus whatever else they get. Smith to the Chiefs makes sense but not for that price.

CanDB
02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
PLus I'm happy for Smith......he doesn't get the respect he deserves. At least he knows he's "the man" now, and is on a team that could surprise. I said it last year, that this is the best worst team I've seen in a while. Lots of talent from previous drafts. Just needed to put it all together, with a real QB in the house. Smith will not hurt them. He's proven. Plus he's just a bit unlucky in my books.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2013, 11:51 AM
I personally think this is a good move for the chiefs and I think seeing as they've been a QB away for years this will turn them competitive again.

I agree, Smith is very mobile and fairly accurate. I think he's an excellent fit for Andy's offense.

CanDB
02-27-2013, 12:16 PM
I disagree, although Alex Smith isn't terrible I don't think he was worth an incredibly high 2nd round pick plus whatever else they get. Smith to the Chiefs makes sense but not for that price.

That's cool......two sides to the story. If Smith helps KC vault into the playoff picture within 2 years, it's a good situation for them. There are no guarantees with draft picks, whether it be for KC and a QB, or for what they have traded to San Fran. And for me, Alex Smith is a victim of an unlucky situation.

If KC acquires a top quality LT, and Smith plays like he can....and with the possibility that Reid will make a difference, AND because I believe KC is a better team than their record of last year.....they could be competitive this year.

samparnell
02-27-2013, 12:25 PM
This was predictable as KC's QB situation defied description. Getting Orton back would have been an upgrade. Andy Reid needs to win ASAP and a rookie QB wasn't to his liking, apparently, based on previous, recent experience.

Peapod
02-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Don't know what the Chiefs are giving up for Alex ($$$ or draft picks), but either way it's a good move for the Chiefs. They now have a steady game manager type of QB like Smith plus if they retain the 1st choice in the draft they can pick up an OT which they absolutely need. They have many of the other pieces already in place and together with Reid they will be a much better team this year IMO.

CanDB
02-27-2013, 01:01 PM
For the record, whether or not he's been on a really good team (which he has), Smith has had 2 good years back to back. It's unfortunate about the concussion, but in terms of the stats (combined for the 2 years):

Games - 26
Attempts - 663
Completions - 426
% - 64.3
Yards - 4,881
Avg. (per attempt) - 7.4
TDs - 30
Interceptions - 10
Rating - 95.1 (104.1 for 2012)

Plus, his 2011 postseason rating for 2 games (which could have easily got SF into the SB) was 101.0

So, in my books, this guy is a quality QB, who may be in his prime. The last two years prove to me that he is a worthy starter.

LSIGRAD09
02-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I don't like this.

TheSheriff
02-27-2013, 03:28 PM
This is great news for the Broncos. KC loses a high draft pick that could have turned into an impact player and gets another Cassel type QB. Smith is better than Cassel is right now but who isn't? Smith's never even had a year close to Cassel's best in 2010. There's no explosion to their offense, don't have to worry about Smith going off for 3+ tds like you do with Ryan, Romo, Rivers, etc. A third-fourth tier qb who will help them win more games, but if they do better than .500 I'd be pretty shocked.

CanDB
02-27-2013, 08:05 PM
This is great news for the Broncos. KC loses a high draft pick that could have turned into an impact player and gets another Cassel type QB. Smith is better than Cassel is right now but who isn't? Smith's never even had a year close to Cassel's best in 2010. There's no explosion to their offense, don't have to worry about Smith going off for 3+ tds like you do with Ryan, Romo, Rivers, etc. A third-fourth tier qb who will help them win more games, but if they do better than .500 I'd be pretty shocked.

I wouldn't be so comfortable about the situation. Smith is a good QB, and KC still has their #1 pick. If they play to their potential, they could do an Indy this year.......1st pick to the playoffs. This team has a number of pro bowlers, and if they stay healthy and gel, I see them as the #2 team in our division.

Freyaka
03-04-2013, 01:32 PM
I do have to laugh because word on the street is they are looking at Tebow to back him up...We don't need that kinda drama in the division again....I like the kid but ship him somewhere else...PLEASE!

fallforward3y+
03-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Manning is just as much of an all the attention is on him player as Tebow is, which certainly gets annoying either way. Tebow to the Chiefs would be a good move though, as long as they utilize him right.

samparnell
03-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Andy Reid would be a genius if he could get Tim Tebow to function in a WCO.

Freyaka
03-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Andy Reid would be a genius if he could get Tim Tebow to function in a WCO.

To be honest if anyone is going to turn Tebow into a functional QB IMO it would be Reid. His offense to me seems like one Tebow could thrive in.

flosstein
03-05-2013, 10:40 AM
I do have to laugh because word on the street is they are looking at Tebow to back him up...We don't need that kinda drama in the division again....I like the kid but ship him somewhere else...PLEASE!

He's the one player in the NFL I would not want to see twice a year. Due has to have a mega chip on his shoulder and his knack of random fortunes on the field.

But, could u imagine if Smith has to miss a few games and Tebow is the starter. The media explosion before the game is even played would be out of this world. The day KC lands in town, the mob of cameras and reporters might cause a seismic event of "biblical" proportions.

And let's not even explore the outcome if he had a big day, lol!!! The world may collapse.

mray
03-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Alex Smith to the Chiefs...lipstick on a pig...

His career stats are eerily similar to Cassels. I see no need to worry.

CanDB
03-05-2013, 08:28 PM
For the record, whether or not he's been on a really good team (which he has), Smith has had 2 good years back to back. It's unfortunate about the concussion, but in terms of the stats (combined for the 2 years):

Games - 26
Attempts - 663
Completions - 426
% - 64.3
Yards - 4,881
Avg. (per attempt) - 7.4
TDs - 30
Interceptions - 10
Rating - 95.1 (104.1 for 2012)

Plus, his 2011 postseason rating for 2 games (which could have easily got SF into the SB) was 101.0

So, in my books, this guy is a quality QB, who may be in his prime. The last two years prove to me that he is a worthy starter.

Alex Smith to the Chiefs...lipstick on a pig...

His career stats are eerily similar to Cassels. I see no need to worry.

Did you check out his stats in the last two years....which are the most relevant ones.

As for KC, I have said that they were a better team than their record, and with the additions of Reid and Smith, and retaining Albert and Bowe, plus having two very high picks, they will be a much improved team this season. We'll beat them for the division, but they are not to be taken lightly.