PDA

View Full Version : Best sports rivalry?

58_VONDOOM_92
03-09-2013, 05:29 PM
It could be in any sport so what is the best sports rivalry?

I may be bias but im going with Duke and UNC.

Discuss.

Broncoholic3233
03-09-2013, 05:32 PM
There has been some good ones, but most have died at some point...not fully...but to the point where they aren't as exciting.

Broncos vs Raiders
Avalanche vs Redwings

Those were some awesome ones that involved Denver.

However, due to it's longevity and awesome hype....Duke and UNC for me.

InsaneBlaze23
03-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Michigan-Ohio St. and it's not even close for the other big rivalries in sports.

But if I made one for each sport it'd be as follow:
Michigan-Ohio St College Football.
Duke-UNC College Basketball
Lakers-Celtics NBA
Original 6-NHL( I think rivalry games between the original 6 are the best and biggest in the sport. If I had 2 actually just pick 2 teams, I'd say Red Wings vs Avs because I haven't seen teams or fan bases that hate each other in the NHL like Detroit-Colorado)
Packers-Bears/Broncos-Raiders NFL

DenverBlood
03-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Lol it's easily not Ohio st Michigan overall.

Not even a relevant rivalry anymore with Ohio st winning what 8 of 9?

Bama LSU isn't up there but the last 5 years is a bigger deal than Ohio st Michigan.

UNC duke is bigger.

Steelers and ravens is bigger.

Lakers and celtics is bigger.

Red river rivalry would be bigger except Texas sucks now.

Tough to say who is best overall though.

Depends on your tastes I guess.

Yanks and sox is huge.

Remedy
03-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Habs - Leafs

theMileHighGuy
03-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Pens - Flyers, no doubt.

InsaneBlaze23
03-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Lol it's easily not Ohio st Michigan overall.

Not even a relevant rivalry anymore with Ohio st winning what 8 of 9?

Bama LSU isn't up there but the last 5 years is a bigger deal than Ohio st Michigan.

UNC duke is bigger.

Steelers and ravens is bigger.

Lakers and celtics is bigger.

Red river rivalry would be bigger except Texas sucks now.

Tough to say who is best overall though.

Depends on your tastes I guess.

Yanks and sox is huge.

Everything you said is easily wrong,:paper:

*Side Note* don't take this post to heart. Just messing with you.
Everything in this thread is an opinion nothing is fact.

58_VONDOOM_92
03-09-2013, 05:58 PM
UNC and Duke are only 8 miles away from each other. It really doesn't get much better then that.

Yanks and Sox are pretty good also

BroncosDivision
03-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Michigan-Ohio St. and it's not even close for the other big rivalries in sports.

Lakers-Celtics NBA
Original 6-NHL( I think rivalry games between the original 6 are the best and biggest in the sport. If I had 2 actually just pick 2 teams, I'd say Red Wings vs Avs because I haven't seen teams or fan bases that hate each other in the NHL like Detroit-Colorado)

I was gonna say that. Definitely Michigan and Ohio.

As for NFL. Painful as it can be to watch, the on-going Steelers/Ravens rivalry has turned into a classic. Broncos/Raiders is still there if you're a fan of either team but nationwide, not so much. That's not to say it can't turn into what it once was..takes two to tango though. Raiders/KC was very intense too.

All in all, I think AFC West has been blessed with some intense and competitive rivalries over the years. Can't ask for more than that.

EvertonBroncos
03-10-2013, 04:18 AM
Everton and Liverpool, for me the most unique rivalry in all of sports

Spice 1
03-10-2013, 08:24 AM
I would say:

1. Yankees/Red Sox
2. Ohio State/Michigan
3. Lakers/Celtics
4. North Carolina/Duke
5. Army/Navy (the media doesn't make a big deal out of it, because they don't have elite players anymore, but it's about more than just football.)

There are a lot of great rivalries in the NFL, but there is a lot of ebb and flow because of parody. There's no parody in the above sports. Those teams are almost always good.

Rancid
03-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Since the post was for 'Best' rivalry, I would say Bears vs. Packers since it is perhaps the oldest.

I would also add: Yankees vs. Red Sox, Av's vs. Red Wings and Wyle Coyote vs. the Road Runner.

EddieMac
03-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Gary Bettman Vs. the Players in the NHL

InsaneBlaze23
03-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Gary Bettman Vs. the Players in the NHL

Lmao, still can't believe he fined the Red Wings because Mike Babcock and Ian White called Gary an idiot....wait yes I can.

canadiansbronco
03-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Lakers-Celtics NBA

Bruins vs habs say's high

InsaneBlaze23
03-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Bruins vs habs say's high

Key words in my post is haven't seen. I've never watched a Bruins or Canadians game, let alone watch them play each other or pay attention to either sides fan base.

Thors Hammer
03-10-2013, 01:28 PM
College Football: Ohio St. - Michigan

College Basketball: Duke - UNC

NFL: Packers - Bears

NBA: Lakers - Celtics

NHL: Habs - Bruins. Personally for me, It's Wings/Hawks. I know Avs fans think that the they are the Wings main rival, and while it was during the 90's, it still doesn't compare to to the Wings/Blackhawks rivalry. Avs fans may have hated Vladimir Konstantinov, but not as much as Jeremy Roenick. :laugh:

http://youtu.be/9cGB_8aok7k

Also, the brawls between Bob Probert and Dave Manson were legendary.

DenverBlood
03-10-2013, 04:50 PM
College Football: Ohio St. - Michigan

College Basketball: Duke - UNC

NFL: Packers - Bears

NBA: Lakers - Celtics

NHL: Habs - Bruins. Personally for me, It's Wings/Hawks. I know Avs fans think that the they are the Wings main rival, and while it was during the 90's, it still doesn't compare to to the Wings/Blackhawks rivalry. Avs fans may have hated Vladimir Konstantinov, but not as much as Jeremy Roenick. :laugh:

http://youtu.be/9cGB_8aok7k

Also, the brawls between Bob Probert and Dave Manson were legendary.

You say this yet the Red Wings fan in this thread says its the Avs and Wings.

InsaneBlaze23
03-10-2013, 07:00 PM
You say this yet the Red Wings fan in this thread says its the Avs and Wings.

Thor is also a Wings fan if I recall. I say Avs vs Wings because of the current hate between Avs and Wings, and because this is a Colorado sport site. Also I said first that matches vs/between Original 6 teams are the best rivalries in NHL.

DenverBlood
03-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Thor is also a Wings fan if I recall. I say Avs vs Wings because of the current hate between Avs and Wings, and because this is a Colorado sport site. Also I said first that matches vs/between Original 6 teams are the best rivalries in NHL.

That's true you did say that. Also didn't know he was a wings fan. That guy is just all over the map.

Broncos, Bucks, Badgers and Wings. Hard for me to keep up with which state he would like a team for in each sport.

Not like I don't like favorite teams in two different states though. College anyway

baphamet
03-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Yanks and sox is huge.

^^ this

for NFL i am gonna have to go with packers and bears

college, insaneblaze makes a valid argument but it is definitely arguable since that rivalry isn't as relevant as it used to be.

HUMCALC
03-11-2013, 03:50 PM
^^ this

for NFL i am gonna have to go with packers and bears

college, insaneblaze makes a valid argument but it is definitely arguable since that rivalry isn't as relevant as it used to be.

It's either UNC/Duke or NYY/BOS. Gaining ground: PITT/BAL, and SFG/LAD

InsaneBlaze23
03-11-2013, 07:23 PM
It's either UNC/Duke or NYY/BOS. Gaining ground: PITT/BAL, and SFG/LAD

Wouldn't even say SF and LA. If we are talking relevant instead of all-time or historical, then they are irrelevant.
LA is just not leaving the land of bottom dwelling.

TheSheriff
03-11-2013, 08:04 PM
In No Order:

A) UNC vs Duke

B) Yankees vs Redsocks (although the redsocks suck right now; I'd put down for one that has really just recently emerged for baseball, Phillies vs Nationals, Nationals were garbarage for so many years now everyone has them winning the division already, Hamels throwing at Harper, Strasburg hitting Utley, Halladay throwing behind, etc.)

C) Eagles vs Giants (Memorable finishes, Eagles own Giants, Giants own SBs, etc.)
Steelers vs Ravens
(Upcoming one, 49ers vs Seahawks)

D) Flyers vs Penn

E) Spurs vs Lakers

HUMCALC
03-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Wouldn't even say SF and LA. If we are talking relevant instead of all-time or historical, then they are irrelevant.
LA is just not leaving the land of bottom dwelling.

I put SF & LA in there because of how much of the fans hate each other

JakeNbake
03-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Giants Dodgers

58_VONDOOM_92
03-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Im glad to see people picking UNC/Duke up there. I also agree about yanks/sox.

Boston/Lakers are still big but ohio state/Michigan IMO has fallen off a little bit

JakeNbake
03-11-2013, 08:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/endofcentury/s/other/bestrivalries.html

Charlie Brown
03-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Browns/Steelers pre 1995
Packers/Bears

Chillez
03-12-2013, 08:29 AM
For me it's the Lakers vs. Celtics. Not many franchises in sports history have 16 and 17 championship banners between the two. Also, each and every year between the two teams put on great exciting games to watch. Atleast to me anyway.

EddieMac
03-12-2013, 08:33 AM
For two cities one could argue Calgary Vs Edmonton in several sports.

Battle of Alberta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alberta)

These two cities transcend sports and compete at everything!

DenverBlood
03-13-2013, 08:06 AM

Way to post something from 13 years ago as your proof.

If lakers and celtics is a rivalry they wish still existed then Michigan and Ohio st 13 years later certainly fits in that category.

Again when you lose 8 of 9 games its not a top rivalry anymore.

Aussie Bronc
04-02-2013, 01:15 AM
Can it be nationally

BroncosDivision
04-02-2013, 05:12 AM
Can it be nationally

I don't see why not.

Lets see some Aussie rugby rivalries.

BroncosDivision
04-02-2013, 05:14 AM

lol

Last updated: Dec 1999 (looks like it anyway)

CanDB
04-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Sports rivalries:

Lakers / Celtics (not so much of late, but it was amazing for a long time, especially when Bird and Magic duelled)
Yanks / Red Sox
Habs / Bruins
Packers / Bears
Broncos / Raiders
Canada / Russia (hockey - I believe it will be Canada / USA in time)
USA / Europe (Ryder Cup)

Individual:
Ali / Frazier
Gatti / Ward (not as well known, but pretty special!)
Nicklaus / Palmer
Borg / McEnroe

SecondsAway131
04-04-2013, 01:55 PM
lol

Last updated: Dec 1999 (looks like it anyway)

In the future rivalries section: 4. Kevin Garnett vs. Tim Duncan

VenomousDB
04-04-2013, 03:58 PM
McDaniels/Denver
lol

Spice 1
04-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Sports rivalries:

Lakers / Celtics (not so much of late, but it was amazing for a long time, especially when Bird and Magic duelled)
Yanks / Red Sox
Habs / Bruins
Packers / Bears
Broncos / Raiders
Canada / Russia (hockey - I believe it will be Canada / USA in time)
USA / Europe (Ryder Cup)

Individual:
Ali / Frazier
Gatti / Ward (not as well known, but pretty special!)
Nicklaus / Palmer
Borg / McEnroe

I agree with you on Ali/Frazier, but I still think the greatest rivalry in boxing history was Benny Paret and Emile Griffith. I'm one of the few who think that, but here's why:

Griffith won the belt from Paret by knocking him out late in the first fight. Paret was beating him on points. The second fight was back and forth throughout, and Paret won a split decision, that was highly contested. Paret insulted Griffith before their third fight, and then came out and dropped him about half way through. Griffith got up off the canvas and killed Paret. Literally, he killed him in the ring.

This trilogy isn't remembered like Ali/Frazier and many others in recent memory, but I can't think of a more vicious individual rivalry in any sport. I've watched all three fights a couple times. Two guys about as evenly matched as it gets, who had a genuine disdain for each other. Not that I'm glamorizing Benny's death. That's not my angle.

CanDB
04-04-2013, 05:27 PM
I agree with you on Ali/Frazier, but I still think the greatest rivalry in boxing history was Benny Paret and Emile Griffith. I'm one of the few who think that, but here's why:

Griffith won the belt from Paret by knocking him out late in the first fight. Paret was beating him on points. The second fight was back and forth throughout, and Paret won a split decision, that was highly contested. Paret insulted Griffith before their third fight, and then came out and dropped him about half way through. Griffith got up off the canvas and killed Paret. Literally, he killed him in the ring.

This trilogy isn't remembered like Ali/Frazier and many others in recent memory, but I can't think of a more vicious individual rivalry in any sport. I've watched all three fights a couple times. Two guys about as evenly matched as it gets, who had a genuine disdain for each other. Not that I'm glamorizing Benny's death. That's not my angle.

I remember the last fight, and the tragic outcome. It's the last thing you can imagine happening.

You may be right about the rivalry. There are a lot of those types (that's why I mentioned Gatti and Ward). Sadly those fights probably impact the boxer's future in a bad way - with all those head punches over several fights, and you wonder if someone like Gatti would live a long life had not for his suspicious death......however the fight you mention is the ultimate tragedy.

#01BroncoFan
04-04-2013, 05:33 PM
The biggest rivalry is easy...... It's the Broncos and the Raiders, no doubt about it. GO BRONCOS :smash:

Spice 1
04-05-2013, 07:53 AM
I remember the last fight, and the tragic outcome. It's the last thing you can imagine happening.

You may be right about the rivalry. There are a lot of those types (that's why I mentioned Gatti and Ward). Sadly those fights probably impact the boxer's future in a bad way - with all those head punches over several fights, and you wonder if someone like Gatti would live a long life had not for his suspicious death......however the fight you mention is the ultimate tragedy.

Good points. After Griffith/Paret III boxing disappeared from television for a while. Society is strange like that. We love to watch the train wreck, but we don't want to deal with the consequences. If the ref does his job, Paret survives and goes home to his wife. Things like this inevitably happen, but we often fail to make rational decisions based on one rare occurrence. When you look at every great boxer, something traumatic had to have happened in this person's life to put him in the ring. This is their way of escaping that reality. Who are we to deny them that right? I'm not that guy. Knowing what we know about brain trauma now, it's no surprise that the number of great boxers has dwindled though. But I'm way off topic.

Yeah, Gatti/Ward was a special rivalry. That was two guys who were born for each other. Watching those fights is actually better than watching the cinematic Rocky fights. Anyone who reads this and hasn't seen them. Do yourself a favor and watch them ASAP.

CanDB
04-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Good points. After Griffith/Paret III boxing disappeared from television for a while. Society is strange like that. We love to watch the train wreck, but we don't want to deal with the consequences. If the ref does his job, Paret survives and goes home to his wife. Things like this inevitably happen, but we often fail to make rational decisions based on one rare occurrence. When you look at every great boxer, something traumatic had to have happened in this person's life to put him in the ring. This is their way of escaping that reality. Who are we to deny them that right? I'm not that guy. Knowing what we know about brain trauma now, it's no surprise that the number of great boxers has dwindled though. But I'm way off topic.

Yeah, Gatti/Ward was a special rivalry. That was two guys who were born for each other. Watching those fights is actually better than watching the cinematic Rocky fights. Anyone who reads this and hasn't seen them. Do yourself a favor and watch them ASAP.

The "sweet science" was one of the most popular sports for a long period of time. There were different stars in different eras. But the sport has lost a lot of lustre over the years. Few big names who can excite audiences anymore. Some of it has to do with corruption. And now the young folks are into UFC and such.

But yes, growing up as a young kid we used to watch boxing, and I followed it for a good chunk of my life. But unless some new, interesting faces come to the scene, and until the best have to fight the best, I think the sport will have its issues.

CanDB
04-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Seeing as one of them wore a goalie mask.......I sort of think Freddy Krueger and Jason made for a great "sports" rivalry. I mean, they both played it physical.

;)

CanDB
04-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Seeing as one of them wore a goalie mask.......I sort of think Freddy Krueger and Jason made for a great "sports" rivalry. I mean, they both played it physical.

;)

Word is that Freddy's out of the lineup tonight......

he's a healthy "scratch"......