PDA

View Full Version : [Rockies] Spring Training Review

Atwnbroncfan
03-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Now that there has been a good sample size I will share my thoughts on the team. I have been to 8 of the 12 games thus far.

Im going to dive right into the pitching:

Jorge De La Rosa- Looks terrible absolutely terrible, if he is supposed to be our ace he better shape up. He is leaving the ball up in the zone and he is getting hammered. Worst part is its effecting his attitude and seems to be doing worse each start he has. His play has been alarming but can be fixed, but attitude adjustment seems to be the first place to start.

Juan Nicasio- Really hot and cold. One inning he will be dealing and picking guys off, the next he is serving balls over the middle of the plate. Early control issues but I believe he'll fix it and should be fine.

Chacin- Looked like his normal self when here he should be fine. Added a new pitch as well I believe.

Drew Pomeranz- Still struggling and battling for a spot in the rotation. With all his talent its shocking that he still can't figure it out. Fighting off Chris Volstad for the 5th spot in the rotation.

Jeff Francis- The ole reliable. The one game he played the ball was kept down. He is fine

Chris Volstad- Surprise of the camp, pitching wise anyways. He has been great keeping the ball down forcing ground outs. His only bad game was against the USA team, so a lineup full of all stars. At this point i'd take him and his sinker ball over Pomeranz.

Bullpen is same as last year except Corpas has a chance to make the roster and the addition of Wilton Lopez.

Wilton Lopez- This was a great great great get. The guy brings the stuff, his era may seem high for ST but don't kid yourself he will be our best reliever. IMO he should be our closer and Betancourt shout go back to being the setup man.

Positional Players

Willin Rosario- Brings his beefy bat as always, but has improved the D. Still doesn't handle dirt balls well but at least he is keeping the balls in front of him. His arm to the bases is better, so at worst he keeps the runners honest.

Todd Helton- Has played 2 games. Same Helton we know. Leadership, good glove at 1st, but has no pop on the bat. With emergence of EYJ and Arenado it will be interesting to see how many games he plays.

Ruthledge- Getting the guy we got last season. Has all but locked up the starting 2nd job to me.

Tulo- You know what you got here. Looks fine off the injury. Bat has been a little slow in spring like always. But he did blast a ball out of the ball park against the angels yesterday. No worries here

Chris Nelson- Bad spring, and couldn't come at the worst time. Arenado should take his spot.

Nolan Arenado- The star of spring. Power to all sides of the field. A great glove and arm at 3rd. If he is not on the roster and the starting 3rd baseman I will already give up on Walt Weiss. Tulo, Cargo, Rosario, and Arenado the power in the middle of our lineup is ridiculous. If this team actually had a rotation it would have been a title contender.

Dexter Fowler- Great defense, obviously. Been seeing the ball well on both sides of the plate. Has been given green light to go. Might be our 2 hole hitter with EYJ

Cuddyer- Nothing spectacular to note but overall solid.

Eric Young Jr.- Should be our starting LF. His speed always amazes me, he beats out routine ground balls. Still gets picked off more than he should. Got doubled up badly yesterday on a line drive.

Colvin- Not a flashy spring, has not showed much power at the plate but we know its there.

Those are the players I noticed and followed intently. Honestly, I'm a little nervous, outside of Arenado, that none of our minor league players look ready for the majors. But one thing is clear, this team is going to score runs, and this team wants Double plays.

DenverBlood
03-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Good read. I hadn't been able to get much info on what's been happening other than scores.

Not at all surprised that a bunch of former Rockies players can't change the usual failur that is our pitching rotation.

Broncoholic3233
03-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Well from what I've been reading, JDLR is getting better, not worse?

It will probably be more of the same this year it appears....

CarGo will be an absolute stud. Tulo should be also as long as he's healthy. Fowler will have another breakout season, as will Rosario. The rest of the offense/defense will be solid.

Pitching will be terrible and cost us plenty of games we should be able to win. Our bullpen should at least be good again.

Good offense, bad pitching. Not a key to success in this league. :(

The Experience
03-10-2013, 01:40 PM
This team will lose at least 90 games. We still have the worst rotation in baseball. We did absolutely nothing to make the worst rotation better. Once again we are banking on the young guys "figuring it out" with a pitching coach who shouldn't be here. Case in point, there are still good pitchers out there (Loshe) but we are content with a one year wonder (Francis) and Volstad.

O'Dowd runs this team scared, he got burned on Neagle and Hampton now he refuses to spend money to make the team better because he is afraid it will happen again. This is why he is not an elite GM (not even top 29) no matter what our dumbass owner who doesn't know a damn thing about baseball says.

I feel bad for Weiss, I like him and think he could be a good manager. But even Tony LaRussa couldn't win with this garbage front office.

Broncoholic3233
03-10-2013, 01:43 PM
While I don't think we'll be good by any means, I don't think we'll be 90 loss bad.

I am thinking 81-81. Average ball club. Great 2-9, Bad 1's. .500

Unacceptable, but improvement at least.

Atwnbroncfan
03-10-2013, 02:05 PM
This team will lose at least 90 games. We still have the worst rotation in baseball. We did absolutely nothing to make the worst rotation better. Once again we are banking on the young guys "figuring it out" with a pitching coach who shouldn't be here. Case in point, there are still good pitchers out there (Loshe) but we are content with a one year wonder (Francis) and Volstad.

O'Dowd runs this team scared, he got burned on Neagle and Hampton now he refuses to spend money to make the team better because he is afraid it will happen again. This is why he is not an elite GM (not even top 29) no matter what our dumbass owner who doesn't know a damn thing about baseball says.

I feel bad for Weiss, I like him and think he could be a good manager. But even Tony LaRussa couldn't win with this garbage front office.

Not a 90 loss team. 75-85 Wins should be expected.

The Experience
03-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Not a 90 loss team. 75-85 Wins should be expected.

What makes you think this year will be different than last year? We have nearly the exact same roster and a bunch of inexperienced coaches.

Atwnbroncfan
03-10-2013, 06:53 PM
What makes you think this year will be different than last year? We have nearly the exact same roster and a bunch of inexperienced coaches.

Do you think the injury bug will hurt us as bad as last year? I surely don't

The Experience
03-10-2013, 10:02 PM

Maybe, maybe not.

BroncoFanBoy
03-11-2013, 12:10 AM
While I don't think we'll be good by any means, I don't think we'll be 90 loss bad.

I am thinking 81-81. Average ball club. Great 2-9, Bad 1's. .500

Unacceptable, but improvement at least.

That's kinda generous. I'm still not sold. I still think we'll suck.

BroncoFanBoy
03-11-2013, 12:11 AM

No, but we didn't have any injures in 2011 (except for De La Rosa) and we lost 89 games. It's pretty much the same team now. This is not a good team. Sorry, but we're not.

Atwnbroncfan
03-11-2013, 10:09 AM
No, but we didn't have any injures in 2011 (except for De La Rosa) and we lost 89 games. It's pretty much the same team now. This is not a good team. Sorry, but we're not.

Cargo was injured, Nicasio too. Plus many other rotational players. That year we probably had more than last year. And we have a WAY better lineup this year. This is a great offensive team. We can't pitch. We arguably have the best lineup in the NL West.

Broncoholic3233
03-11-2013, 01:58 PM
If Arenado keeps it up and gets a chance at the bigs, we very well could have the best in the west.

I think this team will surprise. Not playoff surprise probably but a .500. Yes, that's what this team has come to, a nice surprise would be simply .500

Broncoholic3233
03-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Fowler homered today. First of spring. Been awesome on offense it sounds like.

Go Dex!

Houshmazode
03-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Stick a fork in them, that's my review.

I like our infield and outfield a lot, minus Helton and Rosario. Rosario is said to be better at blocking balls though.

Having Tulo and Rutledge at the same time will be great. Fowler should be better and CarGo definitely should be.

I still hate our pitching.