PDA

View Full Version : Question about the 2013 Super Bowl

The Minx
03-12-2013, 07:43 PM
I watched the Big Game this year but had a question about the safety scored towards the end. (I apologize in advance because my memory of the play is a bit sketchy.)

Towards the end of the game, the 49ers scored a safety against the Ravens.

I thought the 49ers got the safety because they ran Joe Flacco out of his end zone. However, this game recap from ESPN (http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=330203025) mentions Ravens punter Sam Koch in reference to the safety. Can a safety be scored by getting any offensive player to screw up in their own end zone? I thought it was just the quarterback, and I could have sworn it was Joe Flacco who committed the penalty, not Sam Koch.
I had read that John Harbaugh knew that play would result in a safety but let it happen anyway because it would be to the Ravens' benefit. Is that true, and if so, what was the reasoning behind it?

Thank you in advance for your help. I am still trying to learn the game.

Joyfully,
The Minx

TheSheriff
03-12-2013, 08:07 PM
I watched the Big Game this year but had a question about the safety scored towards the end. (I apologize in advance because my memory of the play is a bit sketchy.)

Towards the end of the game, the 49ers scored a safety against the Ravens.

I thought the 49ers got the safety because they ran Joe Flacco out of his end zone. However, this game recap from ESPN (http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=330203025) mentions Ravens punter Sam Koch in reference to the safety. Can a safety be scored by getting any offensive player to screw up in their own end zone? I thought it was just the quarterback, and I could have sworn it was Joe Flacco who committed the penalty, not Sam Koch.
I had read that John Harbaugh knew that play would result in a safety but let it happen anyway because it would be to the Ravens' benefit. Is that true, and if so, what was the reasoning behind it?

Thank you in advance for your help. I am still trying to learn the game.

Joyfully,
The Minx

1. It was the punter Koch who ran out, not Flacco. And yes any offensive player can score a safety for the other team by being tackled in the endzone or by running out of it. Flacco would not be out there on the field during a punt (it was 4th down).

2. The reason the Ravens did this is because of the clock. There were 12 seconds left and they were up by 5. So the 49ers would have to score a TD in this case, and that would mean the Ravens would lose if that happened. With 12 seconds left, that gives time for the punt return by the 49ers (which could result in a td) but more importantly it gives time for at least one hail mary if not two. Who knows what will happen with a hail marry.
By taking the safety, the Ravens took off 8 more seconds leaving only 4. They were now up by only three, so a field goal could potentially tie it, but the 49ers would not have enough time to both get in field goal range and kick the field goal. The 49ers would still have to go for the TD, which would give the 49ers the win. But because there was only 4 seconds left, the 49ers only had time to return the punt and no hail mary was performed because of the reduced time left in the game. The two points given by the saftey were meaningless because of the game situation.

Hope this helps

The Minx
03-12-2013, 08:11 PM
1. It was the punter Koch who ran out, not Flacco. And yes any offensive player can score a safety for the other team by being tackled in the endzone or by running out of it. Flacco would not be out there on the field during a punt (it was 4th down).

2. The reason the Ravens did this is because of the clock. There were 12 seconds left and they were up by 5. So the 49ers would have to score a TD in this case, and that would mean the Ravens would lose if that happened. With 12 seconds left, that gives time for the punt return by the 49ers (which could result in a td) but more importantly it gives time for at least one hail mary if not two. Who knows what will happen with a hail marry.
By taking the safety, the Ravens took off 8 more seconds leaving only 4. They were now up by only three, so a field goal could potentially tie it, but the 49ers would not have enough time to both get in field goal range and kick the field goal. The 49ers would still have to go for the TD, which would give the 49ers the win. But because there was only 4 seconds left, the 49ers only had time to return the punt and no hail mary was performed because of the reduced time left in the game. The two points given by the saftey were meaningless because of the game situation.

Hope this helps

Yes, it was a big help. I am most grateful to you.

ebsoria
03-12-2013, 08:55 PM
And this was in smack, why?? :confused:

Moved now.

The Minx
03-12-2013, 08:58 PM
And this was in smack, why?? :confused:

Moved now.

I don't understand your question.

ebsoria
03-12-2013, 09:06 PM
I don't understand your question.

This thread was posted over in the smack section which is for.. well.. smack.

I have moved it to the appropriate forum.

The Minx
03-12-2013, 09:09 PM
This thread was posted over in the smack section which is for.. well.. smack.

I have moved it to the appropriate forum.

I apologize. I wasn't sure where was the proper place to post this thread. Thank you for fixing it.

ebsoria
03-12-2013, 09:14 PM
I apologize. I wasn't sure where was the proper place to post this thread. Thank you for fixing it.

:thumb:

That's what we do. Rock on!!