PDA

View Full Version : Formula One

samparnell
03-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Kimi Raikonnen looks like he's on a mission.

Peanut
03-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Kimi Raikonnen looks like he's on a mission.

An F1 thread and y2cragie didn't start it!

I didn't know you were into racing, sam.

I DVRed the race and will watch it tomorrow.

I love open-wheel racing.

EvertonBroncos
03-18-2013, 06:00 AM
Was a great race. Was worried for the first lap or so that Vettel would fly off into the distance, really looking forward to Malaysia to see how Raikkonen can capitalise!

samparnell
03-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Lotus was able to manage tire wear with two stops. Maybe that's the chink in Red Bull's armor. If so, Adrian Newey will most likely figure it out.

Looks like Kimi can race with Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton on any given Sunday.

EvertonBroncos
03-19-2013, 06:38 AM
Kimi is definitely one of the best racers out there, not the best over a single lap but definitely over a full race. Amazing how seamlessly he was able to transition back into F1 last year. Adrian Sutil was very impressive as well, poor strategy from Force India though.

EvertonBroncos
03-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Seems like only yesterday we were psyched for the first race of the season, practice for Malaysia is already nearly here. Hopefully as good a race at Malaysia as we got last year, hopefully a different underdog can do what Perez narrowly missed out on last year. If I was a betting man I think I'd back Massa, he's been brilliant since the middle of last season, so pleased for him, took a lot of courage to come back from what he did.

samparnell
03-22-2013, 08:56 AM
We haven't seen what Hulkenberg can do yet since he DNS in Australia.

EvertonBroncos
03-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Will be interesting to see how he does in the changeable conditions they're predicting on Sunday, would have probably won the Brazilian GP last November but for running into Hamilton. Force India look good again in practice, hoping for a Di Resta podium this weekend, my favourite driver, fellow Brit!

EvertonBroncos
03-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Well, wear on Earth to begin? Only just finished watching the race so it's still all a bit fresh in my memory.

Force India will be absolutely furious with themselves. Even when losing 15 or so seconds in the first disaster of a pit stop Di Resta and Sutil were making up places hand over fist, and both had to retire because of a small technical glitch.

Jules Bianchi looked great yet again, really outperforming that Marussia.

Don't honestly know where to begin with this whole Red Bull debacle. Pretty appalled at what Vettel did, and I'm glad Webber took to the cameras to complain about it as well, if it was Webber attacking the "Golden boy" and taking a win from him there would be absolute uproar from the RBR hierarchy. A lot of very respected F1 pundits/journalists in the UK have been commenting on it, saying they've lost respect for Vettel for what he did, and I agree with them. I just hope the next time they're in a position for a 1-2 Webber goes for broke and gets a win for himself in spite of the team/Vettel.

On that note I'm leaning towards Webber for the title. I know it sounds like a massive reach, however with what happened today I think he'll realise that being with Red Bull is the best chance he has to win the championship, and you get the sense that he doesn't want to be part of that team beyond this year. Expect him to drive like a man possessed for the remaining 17 races!

samparnell
03-27-2013, 07:54 AM
The pit activity in the Malaysian GP was interesting. Some sub three second stops plus some very botched ones like Force India and Button's McLaren losing a wheel in pit lane. The best was Hamilton going into the McLaren pit. :D Don't you know he'll be dogged about that all season? We still love you, too, Lewis. Drop by any time.

This isn't the first time Vettel has abused Webber. Remember the time when Vettel knocked Webber out of the race lead once? Was it Hungary or Turkey? Can't remember which year.

How did you like Rosberg whining to Ross Brawn about Hamilton? What a baby. If he thought Lewis was going too slow, why not just pass him?

I wonder if the FIA will discipline Alonso for not pitting after his wing was damaged and dragging? Did you see Massa charging past Raikkonen and Grosjean at the end? Impressive.

I'm still pulling for Kimi. Formula One looks like another great season.

EvertonBroncos
03-28-2013, 03:28 PM
That was hilarious, I was laying there thinking "why do the Mercedes crew have red on their coveralls?" then I realised. The first Vettel/Webber incident was Turkey in 2010, that was pure insanity from Vettel, it's bad enough colliding with someone on a very long straight but also ruining your teammate's race is ridiculous. I just hope that somehow Vettel gets his, I can't stomach him now, wasn't keen on him but I at least really respected him, not any more.

I didn't mind about Rosberg, he had a point about how slow Hamilton was going in comparison. When Vettel was moaning about Webber, Webber was pulling away from him a few tenths per lap! Good on Nico for doing as he was asked anyway, didn't let his ego get in the way of the team.

As for Fernando, I don't think he could see from his perspective that his front wing was hanging off dangerously. That one is on his team for me, should have been straight on the radio telling him to get straight into the pits so if anyone gets a sanction it will be the Ferrari bosses. Glad Massa recovered from his bad start to the race, really like the guy, ridiculously quick driver when he gets going.

I'm with you on Raikkonen, he's a breath of fresh air to F1 (I know he's been around since 2001 but still), he just doesn't care about anything, just wants to race! If not Webber I'd love for Raikkonen to win it all.

HDbroncos02
03-28-2013, 07:39 PM
I don't have BBC or Speed this year, so I can't follow F1 as much this year. I've always been a fan of the Williams F1 team, but they have been frustratingly inconsistent. I loved it when Maldonado won last year in Barcelona, then he dropped off real bad. I guess Bottas is our new, promising driver, just like Nico Rosberg, Nico Hulkenburg, and pretty much every GP2 series winner there ever has been.

EvertonBroncos
03-31-2013, 02:43 PM
I don't know if it's because Williams' car is back to 2011 levels of slow, but Bottas has been pretty underwhelming thus far, I know it's only two races in but I don't think the massive hype around him last year helped.

Most promising rookie so far has got to be Bianchi, he's ringing the neck of that Marussia, he'll be the next driver picked up by a big team.

samparnell
04-03-2013, 09:33 AM
I don't have BBC or Speed this year, so I can't follow F1 as much this year. I've always been a fan of the Williams F1 team, but they have been frustratingly inconsistent. I loved it when Maldonado won last year in Barcelona, then he dropped off real bad. I guess Bottas is our new, promising driver, just like Nico Rosberg, Nico Hulkenburg, and pretty much every GP2 series winner there ever has been.

2013 F1 is on NBCSports/NBC. Speed lost the contract.

Peanut
04-05-2013, 11:11 AM
This is one thing I disagree with F1 about. Team orders. In certain situations, yes, I see a place for it, but not to the extreme that F1 seems to take it.

Motor racing-Drivers must obey the team, says Lotus boss (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/motor-racing-drivers-must-obey-team-says-lotus-134845090--f1.html)

EvertonBroncos
04-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Look for my main man Paul Di Resta to have a strong race this Sunday. 5th in both free practice sessions this morning, only 3 or 4 tenths off the pace, also looked strong in his high-fuel race simulation runs. Can't see past Kimi for this race though.

samparnell
04-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Kimi wasn't close enough to the front of the grid to win, but due to excellent team stategy, both he and Grosjean were on the podium.

Rosberg. How disappointing he is. Hamilton is the real deal. What a lousy race Ferrari had. Alonso is probably the best driver with Raikkonen right there, too.

EvertonBroncos
04-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Grosjean taking the last podium spot from Di Resta absolutely gutted me, really wanted Paul to get it, really deserves it. Sadly I think the tyres are rendering Qualifying absolutely pointless, you have a better chance of finishing on the podium if you start 11th than if you start 5th/6th, purely because you fluke a few sets of good tyres.

Other than that I thought the race itself was absolutely brilliant, Vettel ran away with it but the midfield battles between the McLarens and Mercedes, Mark Webber and a few others were brilliant. Can't wait for Spain now!

samparnell
04-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Grosjean taking the last podium spot from Di Resta absolutely gutted me, really wanted Paul to get it, really deserves it. Sadly I think the tyres are rendering Qualifying absolutely pointless, you have a better chance of finishing on the podium if you start 11th than if you start 5th/6th, purely because you fluke a few sets of good tyres.

Other than that I thought the race itself was absolutely brilliant, Vettel ran away with it but the midfield battles between the McLarens and Mercedes, Mark Webber and a few others were brilliant. Can't wait for Spain now!

Given equal cars, how would you rank the current field of F1 drivers?

EvertonBroncos
04-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Sorry I'm late answering, been a hectic week

Very difficult to say really, obviously there's Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Button and Raikkonen who are the best for me, very little to choose between them, given they're world champions it's hard to argue. I think up there with them are the likes of Webber, Di Resta, Hulkenberg and Massa.

Maldonado and Grosjean I'd class as two of the quickest drivers in the entire world, certainly over a single lap, but their racecraft leaves a lot to be desired, don't think either really have the wherewithal to be consistently top level drivers, although Grosjean has improved a lot and is keeping his nose clean (and attached to the car) this year.

Hard to judge the backmarkers, Jules Bianchi looks absolutely phenomenal, Chilton looks good as do Van Der Garde and Pic, but unless you're an F1 analyst/pundit it's very hard to compare them to the rest of the field.

I don't think Gutierrez is cut out for F1 to be honest, Kobayashi is light years ahead of him which is a shame, and shows the flaws in how some drivers get F1 seats, lots of cash.

Here goes:

Alonso
Hamilton
Raikkonen
Button
Di Resta/Hulkenberg (Both superb young drivers with little to choose between)
Vettel
Webber
Massa
Rosberg
Sutil
Grosjean
Bianchi
Perez
Ricciardo
Vergne
Bottas
Maldonado
Chilton/Pic/Van Der Garde
Gutierrez

The reason for Di Resta > Vettel, they were teammates in Formula Three, Di Resta smoked him on the way to winning the championship

samparnell
04-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Interesting that you put Di Resta/Hulkenberg ahead of Vettel.

I would go Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Button and Vettel.

Di Resta, Hulkenberg, Webber, Massa, Rosberg, Sutil and Grosjean are in a bunch behind them; shake the bag and take your pick.

McLaren goofed by not signing Hulkenberg.

To me, qualifying is like the Scouting Combine (i.e., measurables). A race is like a whole football game with much more substance.

I'm taking your word for Di Resta. I've got my eye on him. When his contract is up, he's moving up, I bet.

There was a rumor that when Riakkonen becomes available after the season, Red Bull may dump Webber and sign Raikonnen. Wouldn't that make for an interesting team chemistry?

I like Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton and Button. To me, they are true champions and sportsmen. Vettel not so much. Is it a German national trait to become totally ruthless when vying for an F1 championship? I'll never forget what Schumacher did to Damon Hill. At least he was a good ambassador for the sport. Vettel seems like a punk in comparison.

But, that's just me: old school. I became an F1 fan the same time I became a Bronco fan; 1964. That was back in the day of Jim Clark, John Surtees, Graham Hill, Jack Brabham, Denny Hulme, Bruce McLaren and Dan Gurney.

EvertonBroncos
05-11-2013, 07:40 AM
Agreed about Vettel, doesn't carry himself like a champion, "Punk" was a very good choice of words, also "Spoiled brat" may suffice.

Rosberg with consecutive poles, congratulations to him, but it's just a shame that Mercedes will probably get him no higher than 5th, Ross Brawn said they've been focused on improving their race package regarding tyre deg, however they're "not quite there yet"

samparnell
05-11-2013, 11:29 AM
The grid for tomorrow looks good. Lots of fast cars and good drivers in the first few rows.

EvertonBroncos
05-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Supreme drive from Rosberg. I'm still staggered that he's hot 3 poles in succession!

samparnell
05-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Pole position at Monaco usually means victory. It's very narrow and no shoulder/runoff area. Best job overtaking today goes to Adrian Sutil; Perez ... not so much.

Peanut
12-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Prayers and thoughts for Michael Schumacher and family.

Schumacher critical (http://news.yahoo.com/schumacher-critical-outlook-uncertain-fall-121831283--spt.html)

Southstander
01-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Prayers and thoughts for Michael Schumacher and family.

Schumacher critical (http://news.yahoo.com/schumacher-critical-outlook-uncertain-fall-121831283--spt.html)

Amen Peanut!

EvertonBroncos
01-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Hope Schumy makes a full recovery. One of my childhood heroes.

As an aside, I'm done with Formula One. Seeing clowns like Maldonado getting a seat in a race winning car because he has a boat load of money, while genuine World-class talent like Di Resta don't get a seat is laughable. Most money driven sport around. What about changing the last race to double points as well? God almighty. Absolutely outrageous.

samparnell
02-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Hope Schumy makes a full recovery. One of my childhood heroes.

As an aside, I'm done with Formula One. Seeing clowns like Maldonado getting a seat in a race winning car because he has a boat load of money, while genuine World-class talent like Di Resta don't get a seat is laughable. Most money driven sport around. What about changing the last race to double points as well? God almighty. Absolutely outrageous.

Those are pretty stupid things. I'll be watching to see how Ferrari does with Alonso and Raikkonen.

A new Formula is always interesting to me. However, I liked it when minimum weight and engine displacement were the only limits. The three liter formula introduced in 1966 produced many interesting engines of different configurations, number of cylinders, etc.

Honda will be supplying engines next year. That will be interesting.

Maldonado and Perez don't belong in F1. I think Di Resta will be back. He may go Indy Car. If so, he will be competitive. Hulkenberg has gotten the shaft, too. He might be a bit big for the F1 car weight limits.

EvertonBroncos
02-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Those are pretty stupid things. I'll be watching to see how Ferrari does with Alonso and Raikkonen.

A new Formula is always interesting to me. However, I liked it when minimum weight and engine displacement were the only limits. The thee liter formula introduced in 1966 produced many interesting engines of different configurations, number of cylinders, etc.

Honda will be supplying engines next year. That will be interesting.

Maldonado and Perez don't belong in F1. I think Di Resta will be back. He may go Indy Car. If so, he will be competitive. Hulkenberg has gotten the shaft, too. He might be a bit big for the F1 car weight limits.

Di Resta is off back to DTM for Mercedes where he was champion the year before his F1 debut, I'll be watching that to see if he does well again which I believe he will. The only good thing about these radical changes is that it's pretty impossible to predict the first couple of races, you could be seeing a Caterham or Marussia getting near the front of the grid, it's great in that respect.

Vhailor
02-18-2014, 01:02 PM
I don't get to watch F1 much anymore. Grew up watching Ayrton Senna. When a bit older, I was a Schumacher- and Ferrari-fan. Best of luck to Schumi.

Peanut
02-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Schumacher showing 'responses', says friend (http://news.yahoo.com/schumacher-showing-39-responses-39-says-friend-001212292.html)

Berlin (AFP) - Formula One legend Michael Schumacher, who is slowly being brought out from a coma following a ski accident, showed several responses during a recent visit, a friend was quoted as saying on Saturday.

"He is sleeping, he looks normal and he showed a few responses with his mouth," the German Bild daily quoted Schumacher's friend and former teammate Felipe Massa as saying.

"I was very happy to be able to spend some time with him," said Massa. "I spoke with him a lot, about how the team was doing, about the new car."

samparnell
02-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Schumi's most important comeback. He'll be irritated he missed the Winter Olympics. It's cool Massa took the time to be with him. I'm sure Schumacher was with him during his recovery, too.

samparnell
03-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Rookie boy Kevin Magnusson on the podium in Australia today. First time ever for a Danish driver. Daniel Ricciardo on the podium as a first for an Aussie driver, I believe.

Valteri Bottas had an amazing drive finishing sixth after losing a tire and coming from way back twice. Williams looks strong. If Kobayashi hadn't knocked Felipe Massa out at the start, both Williams cars would have been in the points.

Mercedes engines look the strongest in the new 1.6 turbo formula. Ricciardo was on the front row and finished second while the other Red Bull DNF. Lewis Hamilton was on the pole and retired while Rosberg won in the other Mercedes. Go figure.

McClaren came in 3rd & 4th and lead in the constructors points. Both Toro Rosso cars finished in the points (9th & 10th) for an amazing finish for them. Ferrari was 5th & 8th.

EvertonBroncos
03-16-2014, 05:09 PM
Bottas could have pushed strongly for a podium but for that mistake, was unlucky. Even more unlucky on Ricciardo, unforgivable from Red Bull to allow that to happen.

Magnussen therefore finishes 2nd in his first ever grand prix. What a frightening talent he is, definite dark horse for the world championship.

samparnell
03-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Bottas could have pushed strongly for a podium but for that mistake, was unlucky. Even more unlucky on Ricciardo, unforgivable from Red Bull to allow that to happen.

Magnussen therefore finishes 2nd in his first ever grand prix. What a frightening talent he is, definite dark horse for the world championship.

Wow! Red Bull shut out in the first race. :eek:

It looks like Williams is back. I really like them. :thumb:

Did you see Kimi's interview after the race? Classic. :D

Congrats to Rosberg, but he is one of my least favorite drivers. I like Lewis much better.

Good on for McClaren after their crappy 2013 season. Hiring Perez was a major blunder, but they fixed it. Ron Dennis is back. He knows what he's doing. Jenson is a good teammate/mentor for young Magnussen.

Both Toro Rossos in the points! Incredible.

Hulkenberg back in Force India and finished sixth. :clap: He just can't get a decent ride. They should have kept Di Resta.

Can't believe guys like Maldonado get good seats while guys like Di Resta and Hulkenberg struggle just to get second tier rides. I'll be surprised if Maldonado scores more than ten points this year. Sergio Perez over Paul Di Resta. Are you kidding me? :doh:

EvertonBroncos
03-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Yeah they [Force India] should have gone with Hulkenberg and Di Resta, which is where the system is flawed because I don't think Perez is a very quick driver, certainly not as quick as many others on the grid. Di Resta is expected to be confirmed as Mercedes' test and reserve driver alongside his role for Mercedes in DTM, I would imagine he'll negotiate a clause into that contract where he'll be next in line for a seat at Merc if Rosberg or Hamilton leave.

I feel sorry for Grosjean to a point because he was in a car that's gone from podium-winning to backmarker in only 4 months, but Maldonado I can't help but laugh at the way he bent Lotus over a barrel with his money, now Williams are flying at the top end of the grid and he's fighting Marussias and Caterhams :D

Forgot to mention Daniel Kvyat, very impressive performance in his very first race. Some absolutely world class young talent on the grid this year.

samparnell
03-21-2014, 02:39 PM
I remember Perez trying to pass Kimi on the left going into the chicane after the tunnel at Monaco when he was with McClaren. There were times when it seemed he and Maldonado thought they were in bumper cars.

I read where the stewards cleared Kobyashi of the incident at the start in Australia. I want to see what both those Williams cars can do in a race. Claire had he head in her hand during much of the race. They are on the right track. They made a good decision to go with Mercedes power this year.

Sounds like Honda will supply McClaren with engines next year. We'll see who else signs up for that.

samparnell
03-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Hulkenberg is the best German driver.

Maldonado, Gutierrez and Perez don't belong in Formula One.

Lewis is the real deal.

Magnussen is a green *** rookie boy.

Mercedes is in control right now.

If your team mate thinks he's faster, then pass. :duh:

Jaws
03-31-2014, 01:59 AM
Yay for Lewis Hamilton :D

samparnell
03-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Yay for Lewis Hamilton :D

He dominated. Where's the Union Jack emoticon?

Jaws
03-31-2014, 12:04 PM
He dominated. Where's the Union Jack emoticon?

I ate it ;)

BroncosDivision
03-31-2014, 05:02 PM
Mini Mag and Iceman FTW!

Congrats to Hamilton and Mercedes on the GP win. For the sake of excitement, lets hope the other teams catch up before too long - watching one team (RB) dominate 4 seasons in a row was kinda boring. ;)

samparnell
04-07-2014, 10:59 AM
If one doesn't have the Mercedes power plant, chances of the podium are very slim.

Lewis Hamilton is the real deal; Nico Rosberg isn't.

Kimi needs to remove the sign from the back of his car that says, "Hit me!" in Danish.

Ricciardo is faster that Vettel in the same car.

Ferrari is not competitive.

Williams is back, and Force India is right there, too. :2cents:

uknflfan
04-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Wow! Can I just say, what a race!! Thoroughly enjoyed that. Here would be my thoughts:

Nico should have won but he fluffed it. He had better pace than Lewis.

Surprised by the pace of the Force India's - 2nd quickest behind the Merc's. Also surprised that Sergio Perez out-drove Hulkenberg (in Qualy and the race).

Red Bull's got saved by the SC.

Heck of a lot of action all the way down the field, really enjoyable.

Seriously, how is Maldonado even in the sport still?

Oh, and can everybody stop complaining about the new rules now? Yes, I'm looking at you RB!

samparnell
04-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Wow! Can I just say, what a race!! Thoroughly enjoyed that. Here would be my thoughts:

Nico should have won but he fluffed it. He had better pace than Lewis.

Surprised by the pace of the Force India's - 2nd quickest behind the Merc's. Also surprised that Sergio Perez out-drove Hulkenberg (in Qualy and the race).

Red Bull's got saved by the SC.

Heck of a lot of action all the way down the field, really enjoyable.

Seriously, how is Maldonado even in the sport still?

Oh, and can everybody stop complaining about the new rules now? Yes, I'm looking at you RB!

That really was a kick-butt race! The theme was "racing with your team mate". The overtaking and dicing was better than in a long time up and down the grid.

Perez usually manages one good drive occasionally. Hulkenberg will be well ahead of him in the points at season's end, I think.

I wonder if Red Bull will opt for Honda power next year? If Ferrari can't get its act together, they should consider it, too.

I think Maldonado has a future ... in bumper cars.

When they went to a turbo formula, how did they expect the engines to sound? It isn't like the old days when the rules just limited displacement, and you could have as many cylinders as you wanted. The Sixties engines sounded the best (both 1.5 and 3.0), and were extremely varied.

EvertonBroncos
04-12-2014, 08:03 AM
I actually really like the sounds of the cars. For me the cars from the late 00s and early 10s sounded pathetic in comparison to the ones in the late 90s and early 00s, sounded much more feeble than their predecessors. At least these V6 turbos are something different, it's quite brilliant hearing them under braking when their batteries are recharging and you can hear the whistle from the turbochargers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrNIJPrjV2A

Not to mention the lack of downforce these new cars have in comparison to last season makes it actually more exciting to watch, the drivers have to work a lot harder even in dry conditions.

In other news, I resent Perez's podium, should have been Paul Di Resta in his place, then again I'm a massive Di Resta fan as most of you know!

samparnell
04-12-2014, 08:21 AM
The new cars are pretty twitchy as a result of the decreased downforce, as you have pointed out. Perez, Maldonado and Gutierrez have F1 rides as a result of $$, not talent.

samparnell
04-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Lewis is on his way. :rockon:

Ferrari is starting to catch up ... some. Ross Brawn to the rescue?

Vettel has become #2 at Red Bull ... to an Australian. Wouldn't Dietrich Mateschitz and Helmut Marko rather have an Austrian driver? :D

Sebastian Vettel needs to take all his WDC trophies and give them to Adrian Newey.

Force India is surprisingly strong and consistent. Williams is on par, but keeps having bad luck.

What has happened to McLaren? Maybe Honda power will save them in 2015. They are currently beaten on the track by Toro Rosso.

samparnell
05-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Lewis is in the lead over his whining, pouting team mate. :thumb:

Red Bull is improving some and Ferrari a little.

Bottas is doing a great, consistent job for Williams. Would love to see him win one, but looks like Lewis may take care of that ... for everyone. :2cents:

Joshua2585
05-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Saw this article...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2060864-is-ferrari-favouring-fernando-alonso-over-kimi-raikkonen

Peanut
05-14-2014, 11:56 PM
Anyone here like IndyCar?

samparnell
05-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Anyone here like IndyCar?

What TV channel(s) broadcast it? I followed it closely in the days of the Unsers. They have an interesting museum in ABQ. Lots of Indy Cars several of which won the Indy 500 plus some of their Pikes Peak Hill Climb cars and many other items of interest.

EvertonBroncos
05-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Paul Di Resta back in DTM, he qualified around 20th in the last race in Germany, he also got spun off by a careless driver who gave him no room, yet he still finished 4th only 6 seconds off the lead. He's not enough for F1 yet Pastor is apparently.

Peanut
05-19-2014, 09:46 PM
What TV channel(s) broadcast it? I followed it closely in the days of the Unsers. They have an interesting museum in ABQ. Lots of Indy Cars several of which won the Indy 500 plus some of their Pikes Peak Hill Climb cars and many other items of interest.

Usually, NBCSN. Sometimes ABC (500).

CHAMP/IndyCar is my first love. NASCAR and F1 came later. I love the mix of road courses and ovals.

EvertonBroncos
05-24-2014, 10:44 AM
So what's the verdict on Rosberg, cheat or not? Personally believe it was a mistake but still enjoyed seeing Hamilton looking like a kid who got the wrong toy for Christmas.

samparnell
05-24-2014, 02:00 PM
So what's the verdict on Rosberg, cheat or not? Personally believe it was a mistake but still enjoyed seeing Hamilton looking like a kid who got the wrong toy for Christmas.

He did it on purpose a la Michael Schumacher. He can't beat Lewis straight up, so he'll do anything including cheating. :2cents:

EvertonBroncos
06-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Ricciardo :D

samparnell
06-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Sergio Perez is an accident looking for a place to happen. :rolleyes:

Congrats to Ricciardo! Just goes to show how Vettel benefitted from having the best car during the past several seasons. In the same car this year, Ricciardo is better. :2cents: I'll bet Mark Webber is smiling ... in his Porsche. :D

Ferrari is looking for answers to a whole bunch of questions. :eek:

So, the weak spot on the Mercedes is small rear brakes and touchy ERS. Interesting. I hope Lewis beats out Nico. Can't stand that guy. :brick:

P.S. The Canadian Grand Prix was a great race to watch!

samparnell
07-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Good for Lewis. He's four points behind Nico.

Fernando Alonso is ten times the driver Vettel is.

Silverstone needs to cover that little drainage ditch Kimi hit that broke his rear suspension. Hope he's OK.

Great race.

samparnell
07-22-2014, 07:06 AM
The big story of the 2014 F1 season is the superiority of the Mercedes Power Unit over Ferrari and Renault. Red Bull still has the best chassis, but are at a disadvantage with the Renault Power Unit.

There are good F1 drivers and great ones. There are also some who don't belong in F1. A great car which is substantially better than the competition can make a good driver look great. It can make a bad driver look good.

Sergio Perez doesn't belong in F1, but the Force India with Merc PU makes him look good. His team mate, Nico Hulkenberg is a good driver scoring points in every race. If Pastor Maldonado was in the Force India and Perez was in the Lotus, the results would be the same. Neither belongs in F1.

Vettel and Ricciardo are in the same car, but Daniel is clearly the better driver. Vettel won his championships because his vastly superior car made him look great.

Lewis Hamilton has had to overcome much more adversity than his team mate, who seems to get faster pit stops for some reason. Hamilton is great; Nico is good regardless of who wins the championship.

Fernando Alonso is arguably the best driver on the track right now because he is getting more out of the substandard Ferrari than his team mate, Kimi, who is a very good, maybe great, driver.

It will be interesting to see how McLaren does with the Honda PU in 2015. Maybe Ferrari and Renault will be more competitive then. There are rumors that Cosworth Ford will have a PU for F1 next year.

samparnell
07-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Lewis Hamilton from 22nd to 3rd in Hungary today. He is easily twice the driver as his teammate, Nico Rosberg who started first and finished fourth. Nice work, Lewis. Now, win the championship. :fight:

samparnell
10-05-2014, 07:01 AM
Vettel to Ferrari

Alonso to McLaren?

EvertonBroncos
10-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Someone has posted a video on youtube of Bianchi's crash. Horrific, there's definitely someone smiling on him if he survives it.

Peanut
10-06-2014, 11:46 PM
Someone has posted a video on youtube of Bianchi's crash. Horrific, there's definitely someone smiling on him if he survives it.

I recorded the race, but haven't watched it, yet.

Prayers for Bianchi and his family.

We go to Dover (Delaware) for NASCAR races. I think the worst crash I've seen was when Joey Logano crashed in turn 4 (oval) and rolled like 3-4 times. Fortunately, he walked away from it.

samparnell
10-07-2014, 03:00 AM
It happened when the Safety Car was out, and as a result of trying to remove Sutil's car. Unfortunately, Bianchi went off in exactly the same spot. It was horrible.

F1 is so much safer now that this kind of thing is so shocking when it happens. It is a far cry from the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies when racing drivers were often killed.

The efforts of the Grand Prix Drivers Association have helped to require track safety in F1.

samparnell
11-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Lewis Hamilton 2014 :thumb:

Peanut
01-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Update on Michael Schumacher (http://www.ibtimes.com/michael-schumacher-cries-when-he-hears-familys-voices-unable-move-speak-report-1772596).

Seven-time Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher, who suffered a traumatic brain injury while skiing in France in Dec. 2013, reportedly cries when he hears his family's voices, despite being unable to move or speak, according to reports.

Prayers continue.

samparnell
01-03-2015, 10:56 PM
Update on Michael Schumacher (http://www.ibtimes.com/michael-schumacher-cries-when-he-hears-familys-voices-unable-move-speak-report-1772596).

Seven-time Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher, who suffered a traumatic brain injury while skiing in France in Dec. 2013, reportedly cries when he hears his family's voices, despite being unable to move or speak, according to reports.

Prayers continue.

That's very sad. Jules Bianchi is still unconscious, too.

darth-hideous
01-04-2015, 03:28 AM
This thread is making me want to start watching F1 again. I used to love it back in the days of Jackie Stewart. Though I always liked Emerson Fittipaldi.

Rancid
01-04-2015, 07:53 AM
Do they still have the Grand Prix in Denver? I went in 2003 and really enjoyed it, but I have not heard much about it lately.

samparnell
01-04-2015, 08:04 AM
This thread is making me want to start watching F1 again. I used to love it back in the days of Jackie Stewart. Though I always liked Emerson Fittipaldi.

The Australian Grand Prix is March 15. Beware the Ides of March.

samparnell
01-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Do they still have the Grand Prix in Denver? I went in 2003 and really enjoyed it, but I have not heard much about it lately.

I think that was a CART race. The last one was in 2006.

Rancid
01-04-2015, 08:10 AM
I think that was a CART race. The last one was in 2006.

It might have been a CART race, but I did not see Mario and Luigi. Those guys looked pretty serious and were going pretty fast.

There was big money in getting the contract to weld down the man hole lids along the route and then opening them back up.

samparnell
01-04-2015, 08:20 AM
It might have been a CART race, but I did not see Mario and Luigi. Those guys looked pretty serious and were going pretty fast.

There was big money in getting the contract to weld down the man hole lids along the route and then opening them back up.

Indycar still has street races at Long Beach, Detroit and Toronto. The most famous Formula One street race is the Grand Prix de Monaco which has been held every year since 1955.

EvertonBroncos
07-18-2015, 02:00 AM
Such terrible news this morning about Jules Bianchi, ultimately lost his long and brave battle. RIP. Devastated.

Peanut
07-18-2015, 10:03 PM
Such terrible news this morning about Jules Bianchi, ultimately lost his long and brave battle. RIP. Devastated.

Very sad.

RIP.

samparnell
07-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi. :sad:

Peanut
07-28-2015, 02:54 PM
Very nice tribute to Bianchi this past Sunday.

"The pain of grief is the price we pay for being allowed to love someone."

Tribute. (http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video/2015/7/A_minute_silence_for_Jules_Bianchi_on_the_grid_in_ Hungary.html)

samparnell
07-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Very nice tribute to Bianchi this past Sunday.

"The pain of grief is the price we pay for being allowed to love someone."

Tribute. (http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video/2015/7/A_minute_silence_for_Jules_Bianchi_on_the_grid_in_ Hungary.html)

The funeral in Nice, and the observances at the race in Hungary were good. Jules Bianchi's F1 colleagues were very respectful in their remembrances.

samparnell
03-20-2016, 12:06 PM
The new Haas F1 team finished sixth at the Australian GP in their first race ever! :rockon:

Peanut
03-21-2016, 10:35 AM
The new Haas F1 team finished sixth at the Australian GP in their first race ever! :rockon:

Good for Haas!

I haven't watched the race, yet. I did see pictures of the Alonso-Gutierrez crash. Scary when a car flips, but especially one with an open cockpit. I know they have roll bars, but still. I'm glad they're both okay.

samparnell
03-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Good for Haas!

I haven't watched the race, yet. I did see pictures of the Alonso-Gutierrez crash. Scary when a car flips, but especially one with an open cockpit. I know they have roll bars, but still. I'm glad they're both okay.

F1 will have a mandatory halo overhead cage protector next year, they say.

samparnell
04-04-2016, 06:11 AM
The new American F1 Team Haas finished fifth at the Bahrain GP yesterday. They are doing great!

canadiansbronco
05-15-2016, 09:46 PM
Verstapen youngest grand prix winner in history.

18 and the dude won a grand prix while i am sitting in my boxer on the internet :laugh:

Peanut
05-15-2016, 10:04 PM
Verstapen youngest grand prix winner in history.

18 and the dude won a grand prix while i am sitting in my boxer on the internet :laugh:

Congrats to Verstapen.

Good first lap, wasn't it? Not like there wasn't some tension in Team Mercedes.

Oh, and thank you for the added information?

:D

Peanut
07-04-2016, 01:42 PM
Congrats to Verstapen.

Good first lap, wasn't it? Not like there wasn't some tension in Team Mercedes.

Oh, and thank you for the added information?

Good last lap, wasn't it? Not like there wasn't some tension in Team Mercedes.

Seems like I could copy that and just change the lap number and it would be appropriate for every race.

Go Hamilton!

BroncosDivision
09-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Sep 8, 2016, 9:41am MDT | Denver Business Journal

Liberty Media reached a deal Wednesday to buy auto racing giant Formula One in a transaction that valued Formula One's stock at $4.4 billion. The deal starts with Liberty taking a minority stake, then total ownership after certain conditions are met.

The Douglas County-based holding company, the core business of John Malone’s media empire, announced the deal Wednesday afternoon, capping months of rumors that the cable tycoon sought to buy the 21-race, multinational business.

Full article:
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/blog/boosters_bits/2016/09/liberty-media-buys-formula-one-auto-racing-giant.html

Peanut
09-08-2016, 02:39 PM
Sep 8, 2016, 9:41am MDT | Denver Business Journal

Full article:
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/blog/boosters_bits/2016/09/liberty-media-buys-formula-one-auto-racing-giant.html

I'm surprised. I don't follow the business part of F1. I wonder if this will change anything? Another race in the US?

BroncosDivision
09-08-2016, 03:11 PM
I'm surprised. I don't follow the business part of F1. I wonder if this will change anything? Another race in the US?

Malone is in it for the money, nothing else.

Austin is struggling with a declining attendance and funding so a relocation is probably more likely but it's an interesting thought. We all know where Ecclestone wants to move it but imagine a GP in Denver around Sloan Lake with the cityscape on one side (think AUS GP) and the Rockies on the other.

Peanut
09-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Malone is in it for the money, nothing else.

Austin is struggling with a declining attendance and funding so a relocation is probably more likely but it's an interesting thought. We all know where Ecclestone wants to move it but imagine a GP in Denver around Sloan Lake with the cityscape on one side (think AUS GP) and the Rockies on the other.

That would be cool. Think there's a market in the Denver area? I know there's a NASCAR team located there.

Interesting points race between teammates. I'm hoping Hamilton wins. Hopefully, there won't be any "team orders" and they can just race.

BroncosDivision
09-08-2016, 04:34 PM
That would be cool. Think there's a market in the Denver area? I know there's a NASCAR team located there.

Interesting points race between teammates. I'm hoping Hamilton wins. Hopefully, there won't be any "team orders" and they can just race.

I think the demographics of Denver, not to mention its larger metro, would allow for sustained success but then again, it's something that's been tried elsewhere and failed so who knows.

NASCAR has a firm grasp on the south and large pockets of the US there's just not that type of following for F1 yet unless you look for help south of the border. Maybe relocate to SoCal where there's a large latino population and easy access from Mexico? I could see that work out well long-term and allow for a second GP elsewhere down the road.

Hey, call me a homer but Hamilton is a Broncos fan and Rosberg just rubs me the wrong way so uh... yeah. GO HAMILTON! :D