PDA

View Full Version : Hey.....What's Wrong With The Pats?

CanDB
03-31-2013, 01:40 PM
Geez, The Pats haven't won a SB since 2004, and come into the season with but five draft picks (29th, 59th, 91st, 226th and 235th), which is not so good, given how few and that two are 7th rounders! What's up with Belichick? Perhaps he's lost some of his magic. After all, with all the picks over the years, he still needs to work on his D.

Truth is, "The Tuck" helped them win one of those three SBs (2001, 3 and 4)......in fact, had that call not occurred, who knows if they would have won the next two. I know, it's history, but it sure helped!!

And yes, their performance in the 2000s is amazing. But it is tainted with The Tuck and Spy Gate. And the fact that Belichick and company were outsmarted/outplayed in their last two SB attempts has left them in a long drought.

Further, if Brady fades so does this team. He is a great QB, and I believe the fallout when he slows down will be significant.

I would not count The Pats out of anything, but I have to be honest, some of the magic was smoke and mirrors......and it's no longer about them being the leader, rather the follower. They have to prove themselves again, and until they do, some of the past seems irrelevant in terms of what we expect from them.

dizzolve
03-31-2013, 02:00 PM
I couldn't agree more

In fact I think some teams even lose to the Pats because of their preconceived notion of greatness. So much of winning is just not beating yourself -or maybe my point is So much of losing is convincing yourself you can't beat your opponent before you even set foot on the field. I think thats what happened to our Broncos back when Tebow played them and even when Manning played them. A couple big mistakes kept that W out of hand -but Denver made a nice comeback. McGahee just couldn't bring that 1y pass in on 4th

Tom Brady and Belichick obviously have a symbiotic relationship there in NE. And for the most part they are successful year in and year out. The circumstances you mention and the media hype just puts them in a strata that they honestly don't belong in. And where would they have been without their kicker back in those days?

I for one am quite happy the tuck rule is being abolished and the fact that it is reinforces your argument.

I hate the Pats. But I also hate the Raiders. At least it happened to the Raiders but it's a shame the Pats benefited lol

CanDB
03-31-2013, 08:16 PM
I couldn't agree more

In fact I think some teams even lose to the Pats because of their preconceived notion of greatness. So much of winning is just not beating yourself -or maybe my point is So much of losing is convincing yourself you can't beat your opponent before you even set foot on the field. I think thats what happened to our Broncos back when Tebow played them and even when Manning played them. A couple big mistakes kept that W out of hand -but Denver made a nice comeback. McGahee just couldn't bring that 1y pass in on 4th

Tom Brady and Belichick obviously have a symbiotic relationship there in NE. And for the most part they are successful year in and year out. The circumstances you mention and the media hype just puts them in a strata that they honestly don't belong in. And where would they have been without their kicker back in those days?

I for one am quite happy the tuck rule is being abolished and the fact that it is reinforces your argument.

I hate the Pats. But I also hate the Raiders. At least it happened to the Raiders but it's a shame the Pats benefited lol

Funny thing......I was very glad when The Pats beat Oakland that day. I didn't really care how Oakland lost, as long as they lost. Here we are, many years later, and if I'd known how I feel now, I might have pulled for The Raiders.....

*I can't believe I just said that*

:huh:

EddieMac
03-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Funny thing......I was very glad when The Pats beat Oakland that day. I didn't really care how Oakland lost, as long as they lost. Here we are, many years later, and if I'd known how I feel now, I might have pulled for The Raiders.....

*I can't believe I just said that*

:huh:

OK who has Neg ability? Can needs one for that!!! NEVER cheer for the Raiders!!!

OK ya I might have had that thought too a few times after being spoon fed Pats hype for the last decade too.

bronx_2003
04-01-2013, 09:12 AM
I don't think theres anything wrong with the Pats, although I am surprised how few draft picks they have.

2 years ago they got to the SB, and if Brady completes that pass to Welker at the end, which they really should of, then they win.

Last year Denver and NE were the best 2 in the league by far, but playoffs are just one off games. Denver blew that Hail Flacco when Moore should of had an easy pick, and NE didn't turn up in their champ game............. the Brady mistake at the end of the first half was very unbrady-like.

CanDB
04-01-2013, 09:30 AM
OK who has Neg ability? Can needs one for that!!! NEVER cheer for the Raiders!!!

OK ya I might have had that thought too a few times after being spoon fed Pats hype for the last decade too.

Ooooohhhhhh.....what choices:

The Raiders or The Pats!!!

Help me....:sad:

CanDB
04-01-2013, 09:37 AM
I don't think theres anything wrong with the Pats, although I am surprised how few draft picks they have.

2 years ago they got to the SB, and if Brady completes that pass to Welker at the end, which they really should of, then they win.

Last year Denver and NE were the best 2 in the league by far, but playoffs are just one off games. Denver blew that Hail Flacco when Moore should of had an easy pick, and NE didn't turn up in their champ game............. the Brady mistake at the end of the first half was very unbrady-like.

Listen.....The Pats have been extremely successful, but my point is that, for me anyway, the magical dust coming from Belichick's pockets (maybe even in the hoodie section) may have all been used up. And the legacy has some tainted aspects to it. Who knows when he started "spying". And what if "The Tuck" didn't happen. I wonder if they have one SB as a result.....maybe two.

And yes, they could have more, but in my books, they could easily have less appearances.....The Tuck and the dropped pass two years back against Baltimore. Regardless......I don't want to get into too many "what ifs". Their record is incredible. BUT I am getting to the point where I am not buying the Belichick magic. His drafting is not as spectacular as some believe, even with all the picks. And now he has only 3 decent selections, and a D that still needs some help.

For me it all came to light watching Coughlin outsmart him two times on the big stage. That along with the "questionable" stuff, made me realize he does not have much of an edge, if any, on most good teams. But he does have Brady, and he can ride that train for a while.

(I hope I don't have to look back to this and eat my words!!!;))

bronx_2003
04-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Listen.....The Pats have been extremely successful, but my point is that, for me anyway, the magical dust coming from Belichick's pockets (maybe even in the hoodie section) may have all been used up. And the legacy has some tainted aspects to it. Who knows when he started "spying". And what if "The Tuck" didn't happen. I wonder if they have one SB as a result.....maybe two.

And yes, they could have more, but in my books, they could easily have less appearances.....The Tuck and the dropped pass two years back against Baltimore. Regardless......I don't want to get into too many "what ifs". Their record is incredible. BUT I am getting to the point where I am not buying the Belichick magic. His drafting is not as spectacular as some believe, even with all the picks. And now he has only 3 decent selections, and a D that still needs some help.

For me it all came to light watching Coughlin outsmart him two times on the big stage. That along with the "questionable" stuff, made me realize he does not have much of an edge, if any, on most good teams. But he does have Brady, and he can ride that train for a while.

(I hope I don't have to look back to this and eat my words!!!;))

There are a lot of 'what-ifs' as you say, as there is with pretty much any playoff season. It just proves that in the playoffs there is such a fine line between winning and losing.

I don't really buy that spying stuff, I think thats excuses people make who don't like the Pats. The same as the supposed Broncos salary cap violations. These things don't really matter.

They did get lucky with the tuck rule, but as I say there's always plays that go for 1 team and against another. Baltimore got away with a blatant DPI at the end f the SB which gave them the W.

and to be honest I never really believed in Belicheck magic. He is a good coach but the reason they are successful is Brady, its that simple.