PDA

View Full Version : Matt Flynn to the Raiders

MarkB
04-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer 30m
OAK has traded 2 picks to Seattle for Matt Flynn, will sign papers on it this AM & now trying to finalize Carson Palmer to AZ for late pick

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 2m
Seahawks get a pick in 2014 and a conditional in 2015 as part of the Flynn trade. Raiders gets financial relief, going from Palmer to Flynn.

champ&dreallday
04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
I don't mean to overlook anyone, or think that we're gauranteed wins. Not to mention, divisional teams play us harder than they would non-divisional opponents. However, looking at how the Chargers lost their best WR (V Jackson) and Philip Rivers has looked horrible, the Chiefs signed Alex Smith (not a bum, but not elite), and now the Raiders have signed Matt Flynn, do we need better conference competition??? Again, I hate to say it, or make it seem like the Broncos are unbeatable, but compared to our divisional opponents, we seem to be way ahead of the pack. Some claimed that we were not tested very much during our end of the season streak and it hurt our defense in the playoffs. We played who our schedule told us to, and we played well regardless, but I think having our division improve, would help battle test us for the playoffs. I'm looking at the rest of the division and wondering, what are they doing to improve because I don't see it.

ArchAngel
04-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Not only did they sign Flynn, but they gave up TWO draft picks for him! Here's a guy who couldnt beat out a rookie and somehow the Raiders look at him as worthy of two draft picks and most likely their starter!

SmokeBassett
04-01-2013, 09:17 AM
They traded away the farm for Carson Palmer, then gave up on him and traded the farm for Matt Flynn? It's a sad state of affairs in Oaklandtown.

Iron Clady
04-01-2013, 09:19 AM
The Chiefs are improving but will never be a legitimate SB contender until they get great QB play.

San Diego isn't looking too great. Lower half of the league team.

And the Raiders are a straight up mess. We're talking number 1 pick mess, which I don't like because Clowney and Bridgewater could be there.

CanDB
04-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Hey, but I love the way The Raiders always have a Plan B in place, as was described by one reporter:

"The acquisition of Flynn does afford the luxury of going with the best player available in the draft's first round. If neither Flynn nor Pryor proves capable this season, the Raiders can pin their hopes on a stronger quarterback draft class in 2014."

That's The Raiders, always looking to get it right.......

......the next time!

;)

RaiderFanSD
04-01-2013, 09:30 AM
I like it. Small 2 year contract for a guy who may or may not be the guy(not in long run, imo) but it'll give Reggie time to worry about other positions and then possibly draft a QB in 2014 or '15.

Also, good news is that this possibly screws the Chargers in getting one of the top 3 tackles. Lane may be gone before they pick.

Iron Clady
04-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Hey, but I love the way The Raiders always have a Plan B in place, as was described by one reporter:

"The acquisition of Flynn does afford the luxury of going with the best player available in the draft's first round. If neither Flynn nor Pryor proves capable this season, the Raiders can pin their hopes on a stronger quarterback draft class in 2014."

That's The Raiders, always looking to get it right.......

......the next time!

;)

That's actually what I fear. They can grab a good player at 3 and come back and get a good QB next year like Bridgewater. The QBs suck this year.

Sam_Z
04-01-2013, 09:53 AM
I thought for sure theyd grab Geno Smith, but with the acquisition of Flynn who do they grab at number 3 now?

15thebeast
04-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Not only did they sign Flynn, but they gave up TWO draft picks for him! Here's a guy who couldnt beat out a rookie and somehow the Raiders look at him as worthy of two draft picks and most likely their starter!

Your been unfair, Russell Wilson played like a seasoned pro this year and is one of the most exciting players in the league.

theMileHighGuy
04-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Where did Oakland find two picks?

RaiderFanSD
04-01-2013, 10:24 AM
LOL! Traded the farm for Flynn. 2 late picks in 2013 and 2014?

Apparently we're getting a 4th for Palmer, not bad.

DevilSpawn
04-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Where did Oakland find two picks?
This is funny given our situation. :laugh:

Flynn is an unknown. Safe to say that any and all average-at-best QBs would've lost to Russell Wilson and the dynamics he brings.

We should get a pic or two for Palmer. Our situation will be much better this time next year to make moves, but it depends on how Flynn plays to see what we'll do with those pics. And we save money.

DevilSpawn
04-01-2013, 10:49 AM
I thought for sure theyd grab Geno Smith, but with the acquisition of Flynn who do they grab at number 3 now?
Who ran the fastest at the combine? Oh wait, new era, my bad.

Geno doesn't scream #3. I hope we trade down but maybe we get Shariff Floyd or Ezekiel Ansah.

DevilSpawn
04-01-2013, 10:52 AM
I don't mean to overlook anyone, or think that we're gauranteed wins. Not to mention, divisional teams play us harder than they would non-divisional opponents. However, looking at how the Chargers lost their best WR (V Jackson) and Philip Rivers has looked horrible, the Chiefs signed Alex Smith (not a bum, but not elite), and now the Raiders have signed Matt Flynn, do we need better conference competition??? Again, I hate to say it, or make it seem like the Broncos are unbeatable, but compared to our divisional opponents, we seem to be way ahead of the pack. Some claimed that we were not tested very much during our end of the season streak and it hurt our defense in the playoffs. We played who our schedule told us to, and we played well regardless, but I think having our division improve, would help battle test us for the playoffs. I'm looking at the rest of the division and wondering, what are they doing to improve because I don't see it.
You're favorite in this Manning Window, but who knows.

champ&dreallday
04-01-2013, 11:18 AM
You're favorite in this Manning Window, but who knows.

I think we both know, lol. I see the Manning window as at least 2 years, if not more. He's never been a running QB. Never really had a rocket arm. Most importantly, he doesn't get hit much. Looking at those three things, unlike most QBs, I think he can play at a high level even at an older age.

RaiderFanSD
04-01-2013, 11:26 AM
@AlbertBreer The Seahawks get the Raiders' fifth-round choice in 2014 and conditional pick (which could be nothing) in '15 for Matt Flynn

CanDB
04-01-2013, 11:30 AM

I think it's no surprise if they select Floyd.....he was the guy most mocks were picking from the get go.

DevilSpawn
04-01-2013, 11:34 AM
I think we both know, lol. I see the Manning window as at least 2 years, if not more. He's never been a running QB. Never really had a rocket arm. Most importantly, he doesn't get hit much. Looking at those three things, unlike most QBs, I think he can play at a high level even at an older age.
Quick trivia fact... Manning is 37. The last two AFC West Superbowl quarterbacks (Elway, Gannon) were 37.

JayJack
04-01-2013, 11:40 AM
As a huge Matt Flynn supporter, I hate this move but i'm happy he's getting an opportunity. Good move for the Raiders.

elway93
04-01-2013, 03:27 PM
LOL! Traded the farm for Flynn. 2 late picks in 2013 and 2014?

Apparently we're getting a 4th for Palmer, not bad.

Pretty sure I read it was a sixth.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-01-2013, 05:30 PM
It's kind of scary that picking up Matt Flynn's contract saves the Raiders money.

EddieMac
04-01-2013, 05:38 PM
I think Raiders can easily do with a BPA at their pick. THey have needs all over the place and might as well add some star power to the roster. This followed with a likley high pick next year could net them a good start to this rebuild.

theMileHighGuy
04-02-2013, 02:25 PM
This is funny given our situation. :laugh:

Glad someone thought that was funny!

I think Raiders can easily do with a BPA at their pick. THey have needs all over the place and might as well add some star power to the roster. This followed with a likley high pick next year could net them a good start to this rebuild.

Hey, stop giving the Raiders franchise building advice :fight:

:D