PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Lelie retires

broncos SB2010
04-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Didn't he last play in 2008...or was he playing in some other league?

Former Chiefs and Broncos WR Ashley Lelie retired from football.
Lelie has accepted a quality control coach position at the University of Nevada. The 19th overall pick in the 2002 draft, Lelie lasted seven seasons in the NFL. His best two came in 2004 and 2005 in Mike Shanahan's Denver offenses, when Lelie led the league in yards per reception both years. His career ends with 217 catches, 3,749 yards, and 15 touchdowns. Lelie never made a Pro Bowl.

JerseyAdam
04-02-2013, 07:57 PM
bust
10 char

JW7
04-02-2013, 09:57 PM
bust
10 char

Wrong, 10 char

Captain_23
04-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Wrong, 10 char

He was a bust, shoulda picked Ed Reed like they were supposed to, and like so many people thought we would, and so many fans wanted them to. Who went one pick at #20 to Balitmore. Thats one draft blunder ill never forget, picking Lelie over Reed.

SammyWinder
04-03-2013, 04:59 AM
I'll never forget this scrub was one of the guys laughing in the locker room after a lose and Rod Smith went ballistic about it...

JerseyAdam
04-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Wrong, 10 char

:Di can only imagine you are joking!

theMileHighGuy
04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Call him a bust or whatever but I remember his years here pretty fondly. Him and Rod were a great tandem that I enjoyed watching. Wonder if he tried to get a position in Hawaii first?

Have a great retirement Ashley :salute:

roushmartin6
04-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Another wasted pick

91bronco
04-03-2013, 10:58 AM
He screwed himself- got all up in arms about contract and wanting to be number 1 so Shanny shipped him out and he never really did much after that. Oh well...

Den615
04-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Lelie was far from a bust. Maybe he didn't live up to his draft pick, but he was a tremendous deep threat and a big part of our offense. They were super one dimensional but having Lelie and Tatum bell on offense gave us some serious home run threats.

I miss the Plummer play action bootleg and bomb to Lelie.

JW7
04-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Lelie was far from a bust. Maybe he didn't live up to his draft pick, but he was a tremendous deep threat and a big part of our offense. They were super one dimensional but having Lelie and Tatum bell on offense gave us some serious home run threats.

I miss the Plummer play action bootleg and bomb to Lelie.

Truth. He provided what we needed in the boot leg years of Plummer. In regards to Ed Reed, come on man! I hate when people play the "we could've drafted game." Complete waste of time.

Hoserman117
04-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Sort of a bummer. He ran himself out of a great situation. He could have been successful here for quite a long time.

100%Broncoholic
04-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Didn't he last play in 2008...or was he playing in some other league?

Former Chiefs and Broncos WR Ashley Lelie retired from football.
Lelie has accepted a quality control coach position at the University of Nevada. The 19th overall pick in the 2002 draft, Lelie lasted seven seasons in the NFL. His best two came in 2004 and 2005 in Mike Shanahan's Denver offenses, when Lelie led the league in yards per reception both years. His career ends with 217 catches, 3,749 yards, and 15 touchdowns. Lelie never made a Pro Bowl.

Do you have a link OP? Otherwise Ill be moving this out of here.

:salute:

Houshmazode
04-03-2013, 03:27 PM
I thought he retired like 4 years ago.

Captain_23
04-03-2013, 03:58 PM
"Far from a bust" stop it. He is a bust. Same dudes defending him, are the same dudes that call Knowshon a bust for not living up to his draft stock..

roushmartin6
04-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Do you have a link OP? Otherwise Ill be moving this out of here.

I saw it on rotorworld somewhere too

100%Broncoholic
04-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Just a reminder that this thread was moved here to discuss a retirement and the thoughts on the player. Let's avoid any issues towards other members.

JW7
04-03-2013, 05:59 PM
"Far from a bust" stop it. He is a bust. Same dudes defending him, are the same dudes that call Knowshon a bust for not living up to his draft stock..

A bust is Marcus Nash or Willie Middlebrooks. Not a guy who lead the nfl in ypc for two straight years and was a large part of our success. Nice try though.

theMileHighGuy
04-03-2013, 06:04 PM
lol, there was a time here when there was nothing but love for Ashley Lelie.

91bronco
04-04-2013, 08:04 AM
lol, there was a time here when there was nothing but love for Ashley Lelie.

I liked Lelie but IMO he was his own worst enemy. He had a great situation going on here but let his ego and contract situation get the better of him. As soon as he left the Broncos he started his own descent into irrelevance. It's a shame because if he would have had a little bit more patience he would have inherited the #1 role while developing his skills and getting that huge payday. Oh well....

Den615
04-08-2013, 12:49 PM

Way to contradict yourself calling Lelie a bust, but defending Moreno :laugh:. Both are players that can be very effective in a limited role, but neither are suited for full time offensive roles.

If you are gonna quote me you better have your facts straight. Not once have I ever called Knowshon Moreno a bust. I've always defended him and I maintain that if he is used correctly he can be an effective player for us. I defend him the same way I have defended guys like Tatum Bell and Lelie. All guys who were very good at their best, but unfortunately were never at their best on a consistent basis.

A bust is Marcus Nash or Willie Middlebrooks. Not a guy who lead the nfl in ypc for two straight years and was a large part of our success. Nice try though.

This^^:salute:

Frankenpost
04-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Love seeing fellow Bronco Fans ripping at each others throats over Moreno and Lelie.

Offseason is so long.

By all means... continue. :coffee:

Captain_23
04-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Way to contradict yourself calling Lelie a bust, but defending Moreno :laugh:. Both are players that can be very effective in a limited role, but neither are suited for full time offensive roles.

If you are gonna quote me you better have your facts straight. Not once have I ever called Knowshon Moreno a bust. I've always defended him and I maintain that if he is used correctly he can be an effective player for us. I defend him the same way I have defended guys like Tatum Bell and Lelie. All guys who were very good at their best, but unfortunately were never at their best on a consistent basis.

This^^:salute:

Im not contradicting anything. I said, if people call Knowshon a bust for not living up to his pick, and being upset that we could have orakpo instead, Im just simply returning the favor, by sarcastically calling Lelie bust as well for not living up to his draft stock, and we could of had Ed Reed instead.

BTW, I wasn't quoting you, if I were, I would have put quotes, but I did see some names I recognized that dog Knowshon out, when lelie is pretty much the WR version of him. That final statement weren't in reference to anything you said.

Captain_23
04-08-2013, 04:14 PM

2 solid seasons isn't nothing to write home about when you talk about a guy picked 19th overall. Like I said, since we consider 1st round picks that contribute but don't live up to draft stock, bust then Lelie falls into the category as well.. I didn't make it this way, sorry.

fallforward3y+
04-09-2013, 10:08 PM
I was excited when Atlanta signed him, I though he'd give them a deep threat to bring their offense to a high level. It didn't happen though, unfortunately.

Sophia23
04-21-2013, 01:04 AM
I always like Lelie when he was in Denver... but will admit I never knew where he went after Denver... or maybe I just didn't pay as much attention as I do when my other favorites get traded.

-Rod-
04-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Look at this guy's talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJjY1mLj2lc

He must have made the worst possible choices to waste all that ability. He was like a Justin Hunter that did not drop the ball.

Lelie would have been a ridiculous deep threat with Jay Cutler's arm.