PDA

View Full Version : NOTE to SHANAHAN- RUN ON 1st DOWN!!

broncodevil
10-16-2003, 01:17 PM
PLEASE!! We have agonized over the last several years about this and last Sunday was another agonizing game to watch. And now especially with Jake out, PLEASE run the ball on first down.
We don't know why the Broncos continue to pass on first down without regard to where they are on the field and without thought of how much time there is left in the game.
The Broncos have an Elite running game and for many years we have watched them blow games because they don't run enough.
Last week was another example. If the Broncos run the ball, more time runs off the clock and Pittsburgh doesn't tie the game.

We want them to at least try this....... Run Portis, Run Portis.... Run Anderson... wear down the other teams defense and give the Broncos defense a rest............

By the end of the game there is no time left because each Bronco possession lasts longer........

Return of Lava
10-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by broncodevil
PLEASE!! We have agonized over the last several years about this and last Sunday was another agonizing game to watch. And now especially with Jake out, PLEASE run the ball on first down.
We don't know why the Broncos continue to pass on first down without regard to where they are on the field and without thought of how much time there is left in the game.
The Broncos have an Elite running game and for many years we have watched them blow games because they don't run enough.
Last week was another example. If the Broncos run the ball, more time runs off the clock and Pittsburgh doesn't tie the game.

We want them to at least try this....... Run Portis, Run Portis.... Run Anderson... wear down the other teams defense and give the Broncos defense a rest............

By the end of the game there is no time left because each Bronco possession lasts longer........ Im sure we will do that sunday

broncodevil
12-09-2003, 08:48 AM
I posted this on October,16th. See what happens when you run the ball!

AsianOrange
12-09-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Return of Lava
Im sure we will do that sunday

Let's hope so....but the Browns I'm sure will stack up that line...so you know some play action early will get Sharpe and Smith ready to catch some passes. I predict McCaffery will score his first TD of the season.

K'Noy_Kills
12-09-2003, 10:13 AM
Man this thread is old.....which is good cause it scared the hell out of me.

When he said 'with PLummer out'. I was awww hell naww not this **** again, then I looked at the date. :)

Damn....dont do that again.

12-09-2003, 10:29 AM
I think not only will rod, ed and shannon will be ready, but I think this maybe a breakout game for Ashley. It has to be!! I have put a lot of hope into him and I really hope he can produce.

AsianOrange
12-09-2003, 10:35 AM
First of all 2324070933: why couldn't you get a real screen name

Second....I truely think they need to get Ashley some dump passes or a reverse to get him going in the game.

mattos
12-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by K'Noy_Kills
Man this thread is old.....which is good cause it scared the hell out of me.

When he said 'with PLummer out'. I was awww hell naww not this **** again, then I looked at the date. :)

Damn....dont do that again.

lol me too

Javalon
12-09-2003, 11:58 AM
RUNNING ON FIRST DOWN

I know what you're saying but look at the stats in the first half BEFORE Clinton got his yards:

The Broncos threw the ball on first down 6 times and the only incompletion was with less than 1 minute to go in the half in a hurry-up offense.

So, the first 5 passes on first down went for 7, 14, 30, 14, and 10 yards with out an incompletion. How is that a problem?

And on the first drive of the second half before Portis went nuts, the Broncos completed their first 3 passes on first downs for 12 (called back for Portis' illegal motion), 13 and 6 yards. Still very effective.

In fact, it was Denver's early success passing on first downs that probably helped loosen up KC's rushing defense. Portis only ran 11 times for 30 yards in the first half, that's 2.7 yards per carry. The whole point of passing on first down is to keep the defense off-balance.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But that's no different than any other play-call in the NFL.

broncodevil
12-09-2003, 03:53 PM
Dude! They were losing at Halftime!!!! Perfect example of giving the other team more opportunities to have the ball.

They need to run the ball ALL game and use the clock and lessen the number of possessions by the other team.

In the first half, they had to pass more because the Chiefs were scoring every time they had the ball..... another reason to run the ball and give your defense more rest in our first possessions.

You are missing my point..... just because they are successful for a half passing on first down......... they haven't been the past 5 years......

I could give you 10 examples of them the past couple years where the Broncos passed on first down, was incomplete and wound up second and 10.

All I can say is, in the second half, see what happens when you run the ball!

broncodevil
12-09-2003, 03:55 PM
One more thing, you don't keep the opponent's defense off-balance when you line up with an empty backfield on first down.

They know it's a pass.

TXBRONC
12-09-2003, 03:57 PM

Way back when Denver played the Raiders on MNF the first three or four plays were runs. When Denver played NE they opened with the run.

dr0p
12-09-2003, 04:38 PM
I think that yes, we should be running the ball more on first down downs. Of course it is important to be able to pass the ball so, as previously stated, they just dont stack the line. Overall I think they are good calls, though I can name a few times I wanted to personally smack Kubiak/Shanny..........

Javalon
12-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Dude! They were losing at Halftime!!!! Perfect example of giving the other team more opportunities to have the ball.
Are you kidding me? The way you keep the other team from getting the ball is to get first downs, regardless of whether it's the run or the pass. And, dude, the offense had nothing to do with the Broncos being behind at halftime. Not including the last :32 where they killed the clock, the Chiefs had the ball for 3 whole possessions in the first half. It just happens they scored a TD on every one.

They need to run the ball ALL game and use the clock and lessen the number of possessions by the other team.
Portis ran 11 times in the first half and 11 times in the second half. The Broncos had the ball for 15:16 in the first half compared to 14:44 for the Chiefs. What's your point? Any team that runs the ball ALL game is not going to be able to run the ball. You have to mix it up.

In the first half, they had to pass more because the Chiefs were scoring every time they had the ball..... another reason to run the ball and give your defense more rest in our first possessions.
The Broncos were leading or tied most of the first half. They didn't have to do anything. They gameplanned excellently for the Chiefs' defense. The Broncos also scored on their first three possessions. The first drive scored a TD & used 5:36 on the clock. The second drive scored a TD & used 6:45 on the clock.

You are missing my point..... just because they are successful for a half passing on first down......... they haven't been the past 5 years......

I could give you 10 examples of them the past couple years where the Broncos passed on first down, was incomplete and wound up second and 10.
And I guarantee you I can give you a ton of examples in the past couple years (or any number of years) where running on first down gained only a yard, no yards or even lost yards. Even during yesterday's dominating performance:

1-10-KC 40 (12:00) 26-C.Portis right tackle to KC 39 for 1 yard
1-10-KC 27 (6:29) 26-C.Portis right tackle to KC 29 for -2 yards
1-10-KC 30 (9:45) 22-Q.Griffin left guard to KC 30 for no gain
1-10-DEN 39 (4:01) 22-Q.Griffin left guard to DEN 40 for 1 yard

All I can say is, in the second half, see what happens when you run the ball!
As I pointed out, Portis had the same number of carries in both halves. It wasn't just running the ball that made a difference, it was running the ball effectively. And passing on first down helps loosen the defense over the course of the game.

One more thing, you don't keep the opponent's defense off-balance when you line up with an empty backfield on first down.

They know it's a pass.
Yes, they know it's a pass. But the defense is almost always set up to defend the run on first down. (Another reason why passing on first down is effective) They might know it's a pass but it's too late for them to change personnel to defend the pass more effectively. It creates mismatches for some of the receivers and generally reduces the number of defenders trying to penetrate the line.

I understand that you might wish the Broncos didn't throw on first down as often as they do since you seem to have a very conservative view on offensive play-calling. But those of us who appreciate the strategic aspects of the game of football realize that passing on first down is a very potent weapon. It is also a sign of Shanny's faith in his running game that, if the Broncos do have an incomplete pass on first down, the Broncos can still run on second down and pick up decent yardage.

I really can't believe you're complaining about the Broncos throwing on first down in a game where it worked perfectly. You don't do it every down, but you have to mix it in.

Also, your argument makes it sound like the Broncos shouldn't try for big plays at all because it wouldn't kill enough of the clock and let the defense rest. "No Portis, don't run 53 yards for that touchdown because the defense needs to catch their breath!"

Geez, I'm sorry for being sarcastic but I really can't seem to spot the burr in your saddle.

broncodevil
12-10-2003, 01:12 PM
I'm talking about the last 5 years!!

They have continually passed on first down, deep in their own end. They have lined up with no back in the backfield on first down. The defense knows then what to do.

What you say has obviously not worked because the Broncos haven't been to the playoffs for awhile.

Many games they lost in the past few years have been lost by poor clock management.... and i am not talking about just at the end of the game..........

Also, running the ball more wears down the opponent's defense, as we saw against the Chiefs.

Javalon
12-10-2003, 01:31 PM
I'm talking about the last 5 years!!

They have continually passed on first down, deep in their own end. They have lined up with no back in the backfield on first down. The defense knows then what to do.

What you say has obviously not worked because the Broncos haven't been to the playoffs for awhile.

Many games they lost in the past few years have been lost by poor clock management.... and i am not talking about just at the end of the game..........

Also, running the ball more wears down the opponent's defense, as we saw against the Chiefs.
Shanahan did the same thing during our Super Bowl years and nobody complained then.

When the Broncos empty the backfield, it is usually a pass. But sometimes, if they think the defense is reacting the way they want, they'll call a wide receiver sweep, or they'll run the QB, just to keep the defense off-balance. But, as I already mentioned, on first down with an empty backfield the defense has to adjust to play the pass BUT with their first down personnel. They almost never have the guys they want in there to cover 5 receivers downfield (including the RB and TE). The idea is to create mismatches.

And yes, running the ball wears down the opponent. But only if you're picking up first downs. If you go 3-and-out because you only run the ball, that's not going to wear anyone down.

What the hell do you want from the Broncos, anyway? They already have the #1 rushing attack in the NFL and are #4 in rushing attempts per game. They have to have a balanced attack and I think they usually do that quite well, when they're not starting their 3rd-string QB anyway.

TXBRONC
12-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Denver is still one of the most balanced teams when it comes to run and pass and over all they run slightly more than they pass. They do run on first down, however with as good of a running game going to the pass is a good option because teams are putting eight men in the box which leaves the secondary in single coverage. Btw, I was watching the highligts on ESPN and on two of Portis' td runs the Chiefs put eight and nine men in the box.