PDA

View Full Version : Jamarcus Russell: Waking Up

one5beast
04-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Anyone see this? it makes me want to root for him. i hope he succeeds. i know that would really tick Raider fans off. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GOgkbYUsNs

BroncoooJohnson
04-21-2013, 10:47 PM
I saw it on ESPN, i hope he does well. Obviously he is a different man, reasoning aside, I hope he achieves his goals.

RaiderFanSD
04-21-2013, 11:12 PM
I don't hate the man like many fellow Raider fans. I hope he gets a 2nd opportunity.

roushmartin6
04-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Thanks for posting that video, it was a great watch for sure. Where to begin with JaMarcus Russell. First and formost, as great as Al Davis was in the early days of the NFL, JaMarcus was another example of how Al being a GM really hurt the Raiders and the biggest reason for the hole they were in that he was trying to dig out of. To think they could have had one of the best recievers in the NFL today and completely missed out because of Al is crazy. Jerry Jones in Dallas continues to make the same mistakes.

Secondly, at the time, I hated Russell because of the holdout because of what the NFL had become with rookies. Just because you were the number one pick doesn't mean you have to be paid a crippling amount of money. I guess we should all thank JaMarcus because he was the final straw, and now we have a rookie wage scale that in my opinion has saved the NFL, no longer are you afraid of trading up because if you miss, it doesn't kill your team for the next ten year.

If JaMarcus would have gone to a different team, he would probably still be in the NFL, at the least as a backup. A team organized in the way such as the Patriots, Broncos (pre and post McDaniels) Eagles (at the time) where there was stability with the coaching staff that would have allowed him to develop properly. JaMarcus was thrown to a bad team that was picking number 1 for a reason. A coaching staff that was replaced almost yearly (the Browns now do this) no weapons to work with at receiver, and a fan base that rightfully so was sick of losing. Throw in the lockout, the money, and the pressure of being the number 1 overall pick has got to be a huge burden for a young man fresh out of college. I'm 24 and can't imagine the pressure that he was under. Then to lose two uncles that were father figures to you so close together is just unimaginable. A more stable program also would have most likely would have solved his work ethic problem he had.

I don't blame Raider fans one bit if they are still better considering how things went down with him but I would object if someone gave him a second chance if he can finally get his weight down but being out of the league this long without even being in Canada or UFL makes him a long shot and I doubt he will get his chance. Glad you posted this video, it shows the other side of the athlete and unlike Ryan Leaf, he seems to be on the right track, I just hope he stays on it.

#24 Next Champ
04-22-2013, 01:53 AM
If I'm the Jets/Cards, whoever ...Ima see what he's got ...that's all I gotta say

I wish him well, he's got mad potential if he can keep his damn weight down

one5beast
04-22-2013, 08:14 AM
If I'm the Jets/Cards, whoever ...Ima see what he's got ...that's all I gotta say

I wish him well, he's got mad potential if he can keep his damn weight down

Yeah I think Cards could be his best fit. They need a QB. Arians likes the vertical offense, with weapons like Fitzgerald and Floyd there. Russell has the strongest arm I've ever seen. To be on one knee and throw 60 yards without effort is insane.

#24 Next Champ
04-22-2013, 10:09 AM
^ Yes it is

Stupid how teams would rather sign guys like Orvolsky or waste draft picks on longshots than give Russell a shot...but again, obviously he's gotta keep his weight down and be focused

Agree that AZ would be best fit...Arians really should explore it

Yakka27
04-22-2013, 10:36 AM
I blame it on the previous CBA. Had the rookie wage scale been around while JaMarcus was drafted he would have never held out, nor would he have had all that pressure that comes with the huge contract.

EddieMac
04-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Jamarcus Russell - eating out. Sorry I have a hard time feeling sorry for a guy that threw an opportunity away like that. Sure some of us mature later that others but he was a train wreck. This video seems like a shameless feel sorry for me and give me another chance piece.