PDA

View Full Version : Help with a graphic for an upcoming blog...

Soldier96B
04-30-2013, 10:44 PM
I am starting a fantasy football blog for this upcoming season and I am in the process of building it now. I don't want to run into any copy infringement issues so I was hoping I could have someone that is really good at designing graphics could help me out making a few that I can use for the blog. If you can help me or point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks! :goz:

theMileHighGuy
04-30-2013, 11:22 PM
I love doing stuff like this, what exactly are you looking for? Just a title banner or what?

Soldier96B
04-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Yeah a title banner mostly but also a logo I can use later on for a website I also hope to build after I get this blog going. If this blog goes well and I generate enough traffic I will start a website. Here is a link to the blog (http://ffbhitman.blogspot.com/)if you want to take a look so far. I've been messing with it last couple days. Let me know what you think too and I'm always open to suggestions.

As far as the logo/banner thing the name of the blog and website would go along the lines of "Hitman" its a nick name I've gathered over the years of playing fantasy football and is something I use often when dealing with fantasy football and the like.

theMileHighGuy
05-01-2013, 02:08 AM
Cool. Suggestion 1: change the color scheme up. If you want anyone to read it, get rid of the green text. It's quite painful on the average eyes. Go with some more chill colors.

I'll try to come up with some things in the next few days. Do you want any of them to be Broncos affiliated or all team neutral?

Soldier96B
05-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah I'm still messing with color scheme. My problem mostly is coming up with a background that is football related. Blogger doesn't have any. They have other sports but only one close to football was the one on there I am using with the lights. I'll get it figured out though eventually ha. Thanks for the suggestion! And yeah I'd like something all team neutral. Unfortunately I'm going to have to be unbiased :/

Thanks for the help man. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Really cool of you to want to do this. I'll owe you!

// / yardo
05-01-2013, 09:58 AM
You'll have a lot better template options at wordpress.com and it's a better platform than blogger. Buy a domain name and you're all set.

Soldier96B
05-01-2013, 10:21 AM
You'll have a lot better template options at wordpress.com and it's a better platform than blogger. Buy a domain name and you're all set.

Is it easy to use? And I am not so sure about buying a domain name. I mean it would be nice but I don't know if a website is something I can handle yet. Does WordPress take care of maintenance and all that jazz if the site goes down etc. etc.

CoryWinget81
05-01-2013, 10:28 AM
The white on black burns my eyes AHHHHHHHHHH

Soldier96B
05-01-2013, 10:31 AM

Well sir what would you suggest? I am really open for ideas. Should I switch the background color to green maybe and have the writing in black or white?

Soldier96B
05-01-2013, 10:37 AM

There now look at it. I edited the top two "gadgets". Do any of those color schemes work better for you? I must not have a problem with colors because I think all of them have worked for my eyes ha

White on Green or black on green?

CoryWinget81
05-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Well sir what would you suggest? I am really open for ideas. Should I switch the background color to green maybe and have the writing in black or white?

How about black letters on white? I dunno, any weird color combos hurt my eyes. These boards used to have a weird combo too and I could hardly stand it.

Maybe I'm in the minority.

Soldier96B
05-01-2013, 10:42 AM
How about black letters on white? I dunno, any weird color combos hurt my eyes. These boards used to have a weird combo too and I could hardly stand it.

Maybe I'm in the minority.

Haha you might be. I just don't think a white background would fit too well with the background image. I thought it looked funky and a little outdated. Who knows, maybe I'm the minority! HA!

Soldier96B
05-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Just changed the whole color scheme for the page to give it a better look. I actually like it and the text is black which shouldn't be bad for peoples eyes. The background is a lighter green that resembles a football field but there is also a dark green option on the right of the page for the "Blog Archives" I like it! What you all think no? Perhaps I should go with the darker green background instead of the lighter green? Idk. I still 2 months before my deadline to get this going so I have plenty of time. Suggestions?

I'm also open to suggestions as far as content goes.Is there anything I should add?

CoryWinget81
05-01-2013, 10:57 AM
That is a LOT better.

CoryWinget81
05-01-2013, 10:58 AM
That is a LOT better.

Also, I'll get back to you with more stuff, gotta run out of the door

Soldier96B
05-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Sweet! Thanks!

// / yardo
05-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Is it easy to use? And I am not so sure about buying a domain name. I mean it would be nice but I don't know if a website is something I can handle yet. Does WordPress take care of maintenance and all that jazz if the site goes down etc. etc.

Yes. WordPress kicks ass compared to blogger. Far superior platform.

Soldier96B
05-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Yes. WordPress kicks ass compared to blogger. Far superior platform.

What about Google sites? Ever experience it?

// / yardo
05-01-2013, 11:29 AM
What about Google sites? Ever experience it?

If you need a very simple website with static functionality and only a few pages it's ok. I wouldn't recommend it. You're stuck with what you get. You don't have the ability to scale functionality or application level resources to users. Very very simple platform.

Soldier96B
05-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah i was just looking into it and it seemed like a pain in the butt. Looking into wordpress right now and I'm liking what I see for the most part.

// / yardo
05-01-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm actually building a Google Sites website for a client right now. He has some notion that GS paired with his company website will have some effect on SEO. My experience this far is it offers nothing over other platforms. It's more about preferences.

// / yardo
05-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Yeah I was just looking into it and it seemed like a pain in the butt. Looking into wordpress right now and I'm liking what I see for the most part.

Trust me now and thank me later. Ha ha.

You'll out grow blogger eventually but at that point it'll be a pain in the ass to migrate to another platform like wordpress. WordPress at least offers the ability to scale to what you want now and in the future. Let's say your blog gets pretty popular. You want to expand and start making money through it as well as brand and launch a full website. You can do that fairly easily with Wordpress.

Soldier96B
05-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Trust me now and thank me later. Ha ha.

You'll out grow blogger eventually but at that point it'll be a pain in the ass to migrate to another platform like wordpress. WordPress at least offers the ability to scale to what you want now and in the future. Let's say your blog gets pretty popular. You want to expand and start making money through it as well as brand and launch a full website. You can do that fairly easily with Wordpress.

Yeah I just don't have to money to go all out WordPress right now. I mean $99 isn't much but I don't have it. Plus the $18 for a domain name. So lets say $125. I wish I could right now but I don't. Unless you can answer this question for me, if I do a free WordPress account it'll be "blahblahblah.wordpress.com" if later on I want to upgrade to the paid account can I migrate all my content to a domain name like "blahblahblah.com" without starting over?

// / yardo
05-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Yeah I just don't have to money to go all out WordPress right now. I mean $99 isn't much but I don't have it. Plus the $18 for a domain name. So lets say $125. I wish I could right now but I don't. Unless you can answer this question for me, if I do a free WordPress account it'll be "blahblahblah.wordpress.com" if later on I want to upgrade to the paid account can I migrate all my content to a domain name like "blahblahblah.com" without starting over?

Yes that's my point. Start with the free wordpress.com website and expand in the future.

Soldier96B
05-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Yes that's my point. Start with the free wordpress.com website and expand in the future.

One of the cool things I did like about blogger was that I could use AdSense and generate money, be it very little i am sure, by having ads on my site. Can the same happen with WordPress? Can AdSense be used on that you know? Because you are very right, money will be the a goal after while. Ultimate goal would be an ESPN Fantasy Football analyst ;) HA!

// / yardo
05-01-2013, 02:50 PM
One of the cool things I did like about blogger was that I could use AdSense and generate money, be it very little i am sure, by having ads on my site. Can the same happen with WordPress? Can AdSense be used on that you know? Because you are very right, money will be the a goal after while. Ultimate goal would be an ESPN Fantasy Football analyst ;) HA!

Yes, absolutely you can have adsense and OTHER ad revenue generating streams. You can even run your own ad system and pocket ALL the money from it instead of sharing your revenues with Google.

Or, WP may not be for you. Do some homework on it. You'll see most experiences are people that started with blogger and moved to WP. It doesn't make much of a difference to me what you use But being a WP developer, I'm just sharing my professional experiences with you. I've had those clients that simply outgrew the blogger platform in six months and then ended up paying a developer a bunch of money to migrate content AND still maintain the user-base you had on blogger.

Not only are you migrating content to another platform in that instance but you're also asking your viewership to move with you. That's the harder part.

Soldier96B
05-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Yes, absolutely you can have adsense and OTHER ad revenue generating streams. You can even run your own ad system and pocket ALL the money from it instead of sharing your revenues with Google.

Or, WP may not be for you. Do some homework on it. You'll see most experiences are people that started with blogger and moved to WP. It doesn't make much of a difference to me what you use But being a WP developer, I'm just sharing my professional experiences with you. I've had those clients that simply outgrew the blogger platform in six months and then ended up paying a developer a bunch of money to migrate content AND still maintain the user-base you had on blogger.

Not only are you migrating content to another platform in that instance but you're also asking your viewership to move with you. That's the harder part.

Seriously thank you for your input. It's very much wanted and you have me convinced I should use WP instead of blogger. I set up an account before I came to work so when I get home I'll start on it. Seriously I can't think you enough for you help and generosity.

If I have any problems with the process I hope you'll let me pick your brain some more. Thanks again!

// / yardo
05-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Anytime man. I love what I do. Always looking for new challenges.

Soldier96B
05-01-2013, 03:50 PM
I was disapproved for AdSense on my blogger page. That sucks! It doesn't tell me why either. I'm guessing because it's not ready yet and it's very incomplete. Not that I care because I'm switching to WP when I get home but still puzzling why I was disapproved.

// / yardo
05-01-2013, 04:22 PM
I was disapproved for AdSense on my blogger page. That sucks! It doesn't tell me why either. I'm guessing because it's not ready yet and it's very incomplete. Not that I care because I'm switching to WP when I get home but still puzzling why I was disapproved.

Who knows. I know Adsense can be sorta fickle.