PDA

View Full Version : Ex Jaguar, Jimmy Smith gets 6 years in prison.

thenewera44
05-14-2013, 03:39 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/05/13/ex-jacksonville-wr-jimmy-smith-serving-prison-term/2157027/

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) Former Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Jimmy Smith has begun serving a six-year prison term in Mississippi for drug possession and weapons charges, online state corrections records show.

The Mississippi Department of Corrections' website says the 44-year-old Smith entered the prison system in late March and was recently moved to a facility in Yazoo City. He was sentenced by a Madison County court to two years for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and four years for possession of cocaine, records show.

WJXX-TV in Jacksonville, Fla., first reported Smith's sentence. His tentative release date is listed as Nov. 8, 2018.

Smith, a standout at Jackson State drafted in the second round by the Dallas Cowboys in 1992, played 13 seasons in the NFL, including 11 for the Jaguars. He played in the team's inaugural season in 1995 and became its all-time leading receiver before his retirement in 2005.

Smith has had multiple run-ins with police since his playing days, and was sentenced to 18 months of probation for a drug possession charge in 2009 in Jacksonville.

Smith voluntarily entered a drug rehabilitation program after the 2009 arrest, spending 90 days in a Houston facility. At the time, he said he hoped to return to Jacksonville and mentor the area's youth.

A Detroit native, Smith has lived in Jackson, where he once played at a local high school, for the past several years to be closer to family and friends.

fallforward3y+
05-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Just goes to show you, athletes seldom get convicted while they are still playing, but once they are out of the league they're just as likely to get convicted as anyone.

I'm not the type to care much about drugs though, personally I think it's a choice that should be up to the person. Of course, you also can't play the "but I was high" card to get out of trouble.

beastlyskronk
05-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Just goes to show you, athletes seldom get convicted while they are still playing, but once they are out of the league they're just as likely to get convicted as anyone.

I'm not the type to care much about drugs though, personally I think it's a choice that should be up to the person. Of course, you also can't play the "but I was high" card to get out of trouble.

This isn't a simple marijuana charge, Smith would not have got arrested if it was marijuana, not in Jackson. This is the same coke habit he had in his playing days. It's a shame because he was a great player for so long.

fallforward3y+
05-15-2013, 01:06 AM
This isn't a simple marijuana charge, Smith would not have got arrested if it was marijuana, not in Jackson. This is the same coke habit he had in his playing days. It's a shame because he was a great player for so long.

Even so, I'm not the type to think it should be illegal, even if it is coke. The only drugs that should be illegal are bath salts(for obvious reasons) and steroids.

TH3JUICEMAN
05-15-2013, 06:49 AM
Even so, I'm not the type to think it should be illegal, even if it is coke. The only drugs that should be illegal are bath salts(for obvious reasons) and steroids.

What!?!?!??!

You must have little knowledge on the effects, both long term and short term of various substances. To say those are the only drugs that should be illegal is ludicrous.

fallforward3y+
05-16-2013, 12:51 AM
What!?!?!??!

You must have little knowledge on the effects, both long term and short term of various substances. To say those are the only drugs that should be illegal is ludicrous.

Oh I know the effects, it's that I don't care.

If people want to mess up their own lives, fine by me. If they aren't hurting anybody else it shouldn't be the government's concern.

I listed bath salts because we've seen what those can make people do on the news, and steroids because they lead to roid rage that hurts others, as well as cheating in competitions.

I would never personally do drugs, because I do know their harmful effects.

TH3JUICEMAN
05-16-2013, 07:03 AM
Oh I know the effects, it's that I don't care.

If people want to mess up their own lives, fine by me. If they aren't hurting anybody else it shouldn't be the government's concern.
I listed bath salts because we've seen what those can make people do on the news, and steroids because they lead to roid rage that hurts others, as well as cheating in competitions.

I would never personally do drugs, because I do know their harmful effects.

The bolded part is the problem, intial drug use is not the problem, experimentation is not the problem. It's the actions and behaviors of the person either under the influence or seeking/craving when they become abusers or dependent on a substance.

Couple that with the criminality of drug dealing, gangs, territory, etc.

Drugs are not an individual problem, the actions of an addicted person affects an entire family, community, city, etc.

fallforward3y+
05-16-2013, 09:11 PM
The bolded part is the problem, intial drug use is not the problem, experimentation is not the problem. It's the actions and behaviors of the person either under the influence or seeking/craving when they become abusers or dependent on a substance.

Couple that with the criminality of drug dealing, gangs, territory, etc.

Drugs are not an individual problem, the actions of an addicted person affects an entire family, community, city, etc.

People do things under the influence of alcohol, and can become addicted to that as well. If such things are done under the influence, they are held legally accountable for those actions. Some people use drugs and never cause harm to anyone else, some do just as with alcohol.

As for drug dealers, if drug dealers kill that would still be a crime. Making drugs legal wouldn't really make that part any worse. The legality of drug dealing doesn't impact whether or not they will do it. Gang killings won't go up simply due to drugs being legal, because killing still is not.

Ultimately, making drugs illegal doesn't seem to do much to stop them from using anyhow. Actions that hurt others that they may do would still be criminalized, so I doubt those would go up.

ruksak
06-01-2013, 07:37 AM
Seems like another case of the punishment being more harmful than the crime.

Smith is an idiot for putting himself in that position, that much is irrefutable. However, I find it curious that people have their lives ruined due to harsh sentencing involved in a victimless crime.

6 years for guns and drugs with no victims to be seen.

There are guys that terrorize their ex's and even beat the living crap outta them that wouldn't do half that time. Throw a bag of snow in their pocket and all of the sudden they're in real trouble.

nickmeyer
06-10-2013, 09:26 PM
People do things under the influence of alcohol, and can become addicted to that as well. If such things are done under the influence, they are held legally accountable for those actions. Some people use drugs and never cause harm to anyone else, some do just as with alcohol.

As for drug dealers, if drug dealers kill that would still be a crime. Making drugs legal wouldn't really make that part any worse. The legality of drug dealing doesn't impact whether or not they will do it. Gang killings won't go up simply due to drugs being legal, because killing still is not.

Ultimately, making drugs illegal doesn't seem to do much to stop them from using anyhow. Actions that hurt others that they may do would still be criminalized, so I doubt those would go up.

I am in agreement with you the amount of money we save on fighting drugs and drug related crimes can be put it into programs that acctually help. It is a complete waste of time and money to just put someone in prison for a simple "drug charge." That money can be used to improve communities where these things are a major problem.

Alcohol is one of the worst drugs out there but it is culturally acceptable so it is ok? People should be allowed to do what they want as long as they are not negatively affecting someone else! Period and that includes the use of drugs, this shouldnt even be a discussion it is completely backwards on how this country handles the use of drugs.