6 - Marshawn Lynch, Seattle Seahawks

7 - Jamaal Charles, Kansas City Chiefs

8 - Doug Martin, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

9 - LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia Eagles

10 - Matt Forte, Chicago Bears

InsaneBlaze23
05-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Disagree.
Matt Forte is better than McCoy and Drew. We'd have to see how Martin does this year before already deeming him a top 10 back. Morte and Charles are better than Johnson.

I agree with the top 3 though.

theMileHighGuy
05-14-2013, 11:18 AM
I think Chris Johnson is in for another big year if he can stay healthy.

bronx_2003
05-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Disagree.
Matt Forte is better than McCoy and Drew. We'd have to see how Martin does this year before already deeming him a top 10 back. Morte and Charles are better than Johnson.

I agree with the top 3 though.

Fair enough.

Martin is in early, but he had a great year and more importantly for me he looked the part of a top back.

There is not much between Charles and CJ. The reason I give Johnson the nod is that he has been in this league 5 years and often has an average line and below par passing game to take the heat off him.

Yet every year he has topped 1000 yards, often well exceeding that. He has never dropped below 4 yards a carry, and in 5 years has only missed one game.

He has also ran in 44 TD's the last 5 years, compared to Charles's 17.

I think Forte is a little over-rated and is slowing down. He does have good hands and takes advantage of screen plays well. Its only the last 3 years he has averaged 4 yards a carry or more, and only got to 1000 yards 2 out of those 3 seasons (with the highest being 1094). He has also never hit 10+ TD's in a season on the ground.

HUMCALC
05-14-2013, 12:16 PM
I'd cut McCoy and CJ, and put in Alfred Morris and either Stephen Jackson or Frank Gore

Captain_23
05-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Gore, Forte, McCoy, Charles, and Lynch should all be ahead of C. Johnson imo

bronx_2003
05-14-2013, 12:36 PM
I'd cut McCoy and CJ, and put in Alfred Morris and either Stephen Jackson or Frank Gore

Obviously your entitled to your opinion but CJ not in the top ten ? Hard to take that seriously. Did you see my post on him ? Hard to argue with that.

bronx_2003
05-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Gore, Forte, McCoy, Charles, and Lynch should all be ahead of C. Johnson imo

Johnson outperformed them all the last few years, with no help.

HUMCALC
05-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Johnson outperformed them all the last few years, with no help.

Last year they either had =#s or better than CJ.

beastlyskronk
05-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Chris Johnson had one of the best if not the best o-line in the game his first 2 seasons. It was average in his 3rd year and it's tanked the last 2 years. Jamaal Charles is better than Johnson, in Charles 3 seasons as a starter he's only had 84 carries in the redzone, in Johnson's last 3 seasons he has about 40 more redzone carries. Obviously Johnson is going to get a lot more TDs because Charles is taken off the field around the goalline, Johnson is left in. Charles has had over 5 ypc in all 3 full seasons as a starter, Johnson has only done that once and that was his 2000 yard season in which he ran behind a top o-line. Charles had 6 ypc in 2010. Chris Johnson is known for making big plays, and Charles is simply better at it.

bronx_2003
05-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Last year they either had =#s or better than CJ.

Jackson had 200 yards less and 2 TD's less. The numbers are not hugely lower then CJ's but you can't seriously have an ageing Jackson over Johnson ? He's hardly got anything left in the tank and was picked up on a cheap contract after minimal interest.

Gore is good. He had similar stats to Johnson last year, but he had a much better team and line to help him so I factored that in. Over the last 5 years Johnson has outperformed him quite alot, so I factored that in too.

bronx_2003
05-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Chris Johnson had one of the best if not the best o-line in the game his first 2 seasons. It was average in his 3rd year and it's tanked the last 2 years. Jamaal Charles is better than Johnson, in Charles 3 seasons as a starter he's only had 84 carries in the redzone, in Johnson's last 3 seasons he has about 40 more redzone carries. Obviously Johnson is going to get a lot more TDs because Charles is taken off the field around the goalline, Johnson is left in. Charles has had over 5 ypc in all 3 full seasons as a starter, Johnson has only done that once and that was his 2000 yard season in which he ran behind a top o-line. Charles had 6 ypc in 2010. Chris Johnson is known for making big plays, and Charles is simply better at it.

Isn't that another tick in the Johnson box. Not only is he a better back anyway IMO, and stats wise, but he plays in all situations and is rarely spelled.... yet has missed one game in 5 years.

HUMCALC
05-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Jackson had 200 yards less and 2 TD's less. The numbers are not hugely lower then CJ's but you can't seriously have an ageing Jackson over Johnson ? He's hardly got anything left in the tank and was picked up on a cheap contract after minimal interest.

Gore is good. He had similar stats to Johnson last year, but he had a much better team and line to help him so I factored that in. Over the last 5 years Johnson has outperformed him quite alot, so I factored that in too.

And yet Jackson will start in ATL. We don't even know how many carries Chris "cry me a river" Johnson is going to get with the addition of Shonn Green

bronx_2003
05-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Jacquizz Rodgers will get far more carries then Shonn Greene.

Ahhhhhhhhh.......... it makes sense now. You don't like CJ personally. Too many people let personal feelings and bias get in the way of a proper assessment.

HUMCALC
05-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Jacquizz Rodgers will get far more carries then Shonn Greene.

Ahhhhhhhhh.......... it makes sense now. You don't like CJ personally. Too many people let personal feelings and bias get in the way of a proper assessment.

Actually I feel sorry for CJ. He never had much talent around him, and I DISLIKE Jackson. I just prefer Jackson to CJ

bronx_2003
05-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Actually I feel sorry for CJ. He never had much talent around him, and I DISLIKE Jackson. I just prefer Jackson to CJ

I wouldn't feel too sorry for CJ, he got his pay-day.

Jackson in his prime would of been a good argument.

bears6385
05-14-2013, 04:28 PM
Disagree.

I agree with the top 3 though.I think Forte in a Trestman offense is going to be fun to watch. I remember Charlie Garner catching 90 passes when Trestman was OC in Oakland.

fallforward3y+
05-14-2013, 06:04 PM
1. Frank Gore-There is probably not a better back for winding out the clock than Gore, where tackling him doesn't mean you've stopped him, getting yards while being tackled. Against a good tackling team, I'd take him over anyone. He has good power, but he is underrated with his speed and quickness as well.

2. Marshawn Lynch-Absolute beast of a leg drive, great stiff arm as well. Along with that he has the speed to be a home run threat. Aside from Gore, I'd take him over anyone due to his ability to make yards out of tough situations.

3. Adrian Peterson-Great combination of being a home run threat, as well as a power back, and the moves in the open field.

4. Jamaal Charles-If not McFadden, the league's best home run threat right now, great moves in the open field. Does a great job of lunging forward when he cuts to get extra yards when he is tackled. Great vision as well, and a threat as a pass catcher

5. Maurice Jones-Drew-beast of a runner, great leg drive. Has the speed to be a home run threat, and is one of the better backs at getting yards while being tackled.

6. Arian Foster-pretty good all around back, home run threat, good open field quickness, power and ok at yards while being tackled, not a complete hit or miss like a lot of backs.

7. Darren McFadden-I'm going on skill, not stats or durability but when healthy the league's best backs. McFadden is a beast, perhaps the league's top home run threat, a good pass catcher and underrated power.

8. Steven Jackson-beast of power and speed, great at keeping his legs going through contact

9. Ray Rice-very "slippery" in the open field to slip out of tackles, as well as juke to get away from them. Great home run threat and receiving threat. He has good power, and is a great weapon as a back. Wouldn't use him to get first downs and wind down the clock though.

10. Willis McGahee-an underrated back, good as a back to wind down the clock, yards while being tackled. Great stiff arm, powerful runner with decent quickness and speed(although it's gone way down since college).

beastlyskronk
05-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Isn't that another tick in the Johnson box. Not only is he a better back anyway IMO, and stats wise, but he plays in all situations and is rarely spelled.... yet has missed one game in 5 years.

But Charles has usually had Thomas Jones and Peyton Hillis who are bigger RBs and teams generally favor bigger backs on the goal line. Other than Lendale White in 08, Johnson never had anyone there to take his carries away from him. They've been the exception because of how much they have to pay Johnson. And it's really because the more TDs Johnson gets, the more they can attempt to justify his contract.

HUMCALC
05-15-2013, 10:48 AM
1. Frank Gore-There is probably not a better back for winding out the clock than Gore, where tackling him doesn't mean you've stopped him, getting yards while being tackled. Against a good tackling team, I'd take him over anyone. He has good power, but he is underrated with his speed and quickness as well.

2. Marshawn Lynch-Absolute beast of a leg drive, great stiff arm as well. Along with that he has the speed to be a home run threat. Aside from Gore, I'd take him over anyone due to his ability to make yards out of tough situations.

3. Adrian Peterson-Great combination of being a home run threat, as well as a power back, and the moves in the open field.

4. Jamaal Charles-If not McFadden, the league's best home run threat right now, great moves in the open field. Does a great job of lunging forward when he cuts to get extra yards when he is tackled. Great vision as well, and a threat as a pass catcher

5. Maurice Jones-Drew-beast of a runner, great leg drive. Has the speed to be a home run threat, and is one of the better backs at getting yards while being tackled.

6. Arian Foster-pretty good all around back, home run threat, good open field quickness, power and ok at yards while being tackled, not a complete hit or miss like a lot of backs.

7. Darren McFadden-I'm going on skill, not stats or durability but when healthy the league's best backs. McFadden is a beast, perhaps the league's top home run threat, a good pass catcher and underrated power.

8. Steven Jackson-beast of power and speed, great at keeping his legs going through contact

9. Ray Rice-very "slippery" in the open field to slip out of tackles, as well as juke to get away from them. Great home run threat and receiving threat. He has good power, and is a great weapon as a back. Wouldn't use him to get first downs and wind down the clock though.

10. Willis McGahee-an underrated back, good as a back to wind down the clock, yards while being tackled. Great stiff arm, powerful runner with decent quickness and speed(although it's gone way down since college).

I seriously hope that you're joking. AD is the best back BY FAR

bronx_2003
05-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Yeah, AP and CJ are a long way ahead at their positions

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2013, 11:03 AM
http://youtu.be/-5zELTa9Ris

I think most of this argument is subjective once you get past Adrian Peterson. My personal opinion is that M. Lynch should be #2 on that list. That dude runs like the tasmanian devil from those old Bugs Bunny cartoons. :laugh:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2013, 11:08 AM
http://youtu.be/n90g-LRqggU

Do you see the resemblance?

:laugh:

bronx_2003
05-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Yep, after AP its a subjective list. There's no right or wrong answers.

The only argument I would make is CJ has to be top ten in any list. For a back having 5 consecutive 1000 yard seasons, a bunch of TD's, only missing one game in 5 years, and often carrying a poor offense to not be in a top ten at least is just wrong IMO.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Yep, after AP its a subjective list. There's no right or wrong answers.

The only argument I would make is CJ has to be top ten in any list. For a back having 5 consecutive 1000 yard seasons, a bunch of TD's, only missing one game in 5 years, and often carrying a poor offense to not be in a top ten at least is just wrong IMO.

He also had a YPC average a few years that were ridiculous. I think he averaged close to 6.2 one year. That is absolutely absurd. The only people I know if in history that have something like that off were Jim Brown and Barry Sanders, considering the number of carries.

bronx_2003
05-15-2013, 11:17 AM
He also had a YPC average a few years that were ridiculous. I think he averaged close to 6.2 one year. That is absolutely absurd. The only people I know if in history that have something like that off were Jim Brown and Barry Sanders, considering the number of carries.

yeah pretty crazy lol

beastlyskronk
05-15-2013, 11:30 AM

5.8 was the highest CJ had. Charles is the RB you're thinking of, he had 6.4 his 2nd year starting.

bronx_2003
05-15-2013, 11:39 AM
5.8 was the highest CJ had. Charles is the RB you're thinking of, he had 6.4 his 2nd year starting.

yep your right, it was Charles and it was a pretty good year.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2013, 11:40 AM

Charles didn't have that many carries though, did he? I don't remember him ever having a big workload. I know he had over 1k yards, but not a ton of carries.

beastlyskronk
05-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Charles didn't have that many carries though, did he? I don't remember him ever having a big workload. I know he had over 1k yards, but not a ton of carries.

He had 230 that season, which is a pretty good amount. He had 285 this season and averaged 5.3.

bronx_2003
05-15-2013, 11:44 AM

His big year - 230 carries, 1467 yards, 5 td's

CJ's - 358 carries, 2006, 14 td's

HUMCALC
05-15-2013, 11:47 AM

He averaged 6.4 and had 230 carries. He also averaged 5.9 and had 190 carries

bronx_2003
05-15-2013, 11:51 AM
230 and 190 carries is only 14 and 12 a game.

He has never carried the load for KC

HUMCALC
05-15-2013, 11:52 AM
He also never had a quaity QB

bronx_2003
05-15-2013, 11:52 AM
If you look at the carries CJ has had for the last 5 seasons

276, 262, 316, 358, 251. His durability is quite impressive.

fallforward3y+
05-15-2013, 05:16 PM
I seriously hope that you're joking. AD is the best back BY FAR

LOL, I'm not calling him All Day that's dumb. He's not the best by far, like I said I'm not going on stats as those are more of a reflection on the offensive line. I'd take Gore and Lynch over AP right now, those 2 are the best backs when the defense is playing well.

fallforward3y+
05-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Yeah, AP and CJ are a long way ahead at their positions

Lol, CJ doesn't even belong in the top 10. He had holes you could drive a truck through in 2009, and now that that is no longer the case no surprise the stats aren't so great. Now that he got paid big, he hasn't worked as hard and has gotten worse. He is terrible at running between the tackles, and runs with the home run or nothing mentality. Sometimes he hits a home run to make his stats look better than they are, but he doesn't provide his team with consistent running all game where they can effectively use the run game to move the ball.

bronx_2003
05-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Lol, CJ doesn't even belong in the top 10. He had holes you could drive a truck through in 2009, and now that that is no longer the case no surprise the stats aren't so great. Now that he got paid big, he hasn't worked as hard and has gotten worse. He is terrible at running between the tackles, and runs with the home run or nothing mentality. Sometimes he hits a home run to make his stats look better than they are, but he doesn't provide his team with consistent running all game where they can effectively use the run game to move the ball.

I probably should of been clearer.

I meant AP and Megatron are a long way ahead at their positions. I was talking about CJ the receiver

HUMCALC
05-15-2013, 05:53 PM
LOL, I'm not calling him All Day that's dumb. He's not the best by far, like I said I'm not going on stats as those are more of a reflection on the offensive line. I'd take Gore and Lynch over AP right now, those 2 are the best backs when the defense is playing well.

Last year he had arguably the best season by a RB in history without a QB and one WR

fallforward3y+
05-16-2013, 12:39 AM
I probably should of been clearer.

I meant AP and Megatron are a long way ahead at their positions. I was talking about CJ the receiver

Indeed you should have, lol. I presumed it was Chris Johnson because it is a thread about RBs. As for Calvin though, I'd say it's between him and Andre Johnson for the top spot, 1A and 1B perhaps.

fallforward3y+
05-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Last year he had arguably the best season by a RB in history without a QB and one WR

The best statistical season, like I said I'm not going on stats as those have much more to do with the line. In terms of what they themselves bring to the table, I have him 3rd behind Lynch and Gore.

As for the no QB/WR thing, I don't think that matters as much as you think it does. I remember how Vikings fans back in 07-08 would talk about "if he only had a QB" making it seem as though he'd get 3000 yards if he had the help of a passing game. However, we've already seen it happen in 2009, when Favre came there and they had one of the league's best pass attacks, his yards actually dropped.

AP is one of the best backs in the league at finding a crease in a defense that stacks the box, he would kill the Bears that way early in his career, because nobody would be around when he found that crease and he'd take it to the house. It seems strange, but playing him in a base defense may actually be a better way to go about it, if your defense plays well.