PDA

View Full Version : Can Adrian Peterson go down as the best RB of all time ?

bronx_2003
05-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Here are the stats of some of the best RB's -

Emmitt Smith - 15 Seasons, 18,355 yards, 4.2 ypc, 175 td's (rushing and receiving)

Walter Payton - 13 Seasons, 16,726 yards, 4.4 ypc, 125 td's (rushing and receiving)

Barry Sanders - 10 Seasons, 15,269 yards, 5.0 ypc, 165 td's (rushing and receiving)

LaDainian Tomlinson - 11 Seasons, 13,684 yards, 4.3 ypc, 162 td's (rushing and receiving)

Eric Dickerson - 11 Seasons, 13,259 yards, 4.4 ypc, 96 td's (rushing and receiving)

Jim Brown - 9 Seasons, 12,312 yards, 5.2 ypc, 126 td's (rushing and receiving)

O J Simpson - 11 Seasons, 11,236 yards, 4.7 ypc, 75 td's (rushing and receiving)

Terrell Davis - 8 Seasons, 7,607 yards, 4.6 ypc, 65 td's (rushing and receiving)

Gayle Sayers - 7 Seasons, 4,956 yards, 5.0 ypc, 48 td's (rushing and receiving)

Adrian Peterson - 6 Seasons, 8,849 yards, 5.0 ypc, 80 td's (rushing and receiving)

I know its hard to compare because of different era's, talent on the team, etc.......... and it will depend on injury and when he starts to slow down.

He should have 5-6 years left. I think he could get to #2 in terms of yards and probably TD's.

I think its an interesting debate. Sometimes I think players of the past are romanticized a little too much and the general thought is someone playing today can't possibly be better then some other legends.

He will be in the HOF, but do you think we are watching the best RB of all time...... when he hangs them up.

fallforward3y+
05-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Hard to say. Stats are unreliable in judging a RB really, they are mostly the result of the o-line.

bronx_2003
05-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Hard to say. Stats are unreliable in judging a RB really, they are mostly the result of the o-line.

OL's help to a degree, but the best are the best regardless of the line............... there will never be an exact way of judging the best back but stats are the best thing. The one's on this list have the biggest stats and are generally considered the best backs to play the game.

Some would argue the fact that as its more of a passing league it helps the running game with lanes........ although on the flip side the D's are probably bigger and faster now.

InsaneBlaze23
05-19-2013, 03:22 PM
It's possible, he sure has the numbers to be considered one of the best. But the best? I don't know.
It goes beyond just numbers, era comes into account. You have some teams with better rushing OL's than passing.

He's a freak athlete and a very damn good back. But I just don't know if i'd call him better than Jim Brown or Terrell Davis or Barry Sanders. Though if there was any running back AP reminds me of the most, it'd be Sanders.

Charlie Brown
05-19-2013, 03:25 PM
One word:

No

bronx_2003
05-19-2013, 04:05 PM
It's possible, he sure has the numbers to be considered one of the best. But the best? I don't know.
It goes beyond just numbers, era comes into account. You have some teams with better rushing OL's than passing.

He's a freak athlete and a very damn good back. But I just don't know if i'd call him better than Jim Brown or Terrell Davis or Barry Sanders. Though if there was any running back AP reminds me of the most, it'd be Sanders.

Good post. I guess 'the best' will always be an opinion.

Era's and OL'S, etc........... mean there are too many variables to have a conclusive answer..... but AP does carry his offense and has an average QB, a poor passing game and often faces heavy loaded boxes..... so he does it the tough way.

ebsoria
05-19-2013, 05:02 PM
The GOAT debate is very subjective. And it's one that will never be nor can ever be settled.

If he keeps up at this pace for a few more years, then I'd say he deserves to be in the conversation.

beastlyskronk
05-19-2013, 05:05 PM
I think he can and probably will go down as the best RB of all time. He'll likely be the first RB to top 2000 yards multiple times. If he does he'll be in position to absolutely smash Smith's records.

EddieMac
05-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Like Eb said. We need a few more years. his resume isn`t complete enough to put him there yet. He could go down as one of the greatest but I don`t think we are in the era of a Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, or Emmitt Smith anymore.

That being said with Curtis martin considered a HOF now anything goes. Classic example of a very good player that was around a long time but never dominating the league for any stretch of time.

At least AP has done that already. now he needs the longevity and yards.

ebsoria
05-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Like Eb said. We need a few more years. his resume isn`t complete enough to put him there yet. He could go down as one of the greatest but I don`t think we are in the era of a Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, or Emmitt Smith anymore.

That being said with Curtis martin considered a HOF now anything goes. Classic example of a very good player that was around a long time but never dominating the league for any stretch of time.

At least AP has done that already. now he needs the longevity and yards.

Sad to say, but a ring on a finger with those yards and TDs and he'd almost be a lock after a few more years.

JakeNbake
05-19-2013, 11:49 PM
I think he's the best player in the league. Look at the impact he has on his team and he's not even a QB. He does more for his team then half of the QB's in the league do for theirs.

It's disgusting how big strong and talented he is.

I'm not easily impressed by players but every now and then there is a player in the league that you just have to tip your hat to.

fallforward3y+
05-20-2013, 01:15 AM
OL's help to a degree, but the best are the best regardless of the line............... there will never be an exact way of judging the best back but stats are the best thing. The one's on this list have the biggest stats and are generally considered the best backs to play the game.

Some would argue the fact that as its more of a passing league it helps the running game with lanes........ although on the flip side the D's are probably bigger and faster now.

That depends on what you mean by best are the best regardless of the line. If your going by ability, then yes the back's skill doesn't change with a worse o-line, just their ability to show that skill.

But the stats do change, and history has shown that even the backs deemed elite don't do well behind bad lines.

fallforward3y+
05-20-2013, 01:43 AM

That depends on what you mean by best are the best regardless of the line. If your going by ability, then yes the back's skill doesn't change with a worse o-line, just their ability to show that skill.

But the stats do change, and history has shown that even the backs deemed elite don't do well behind bad lines.

TH3JUICEMAN
05-20-2013, 06:49 AM
He can become the GOAT @ RB. Look at his body of work. With the emphasis on passing in the league he's still able to carry his team. If he puts up 6-7 more years like he has he's got a chance to break a lot of records.

There is no other RB even close to his level in the league, nobody. He's the definition of a BEAST! How many RB's could carry there team like he did? This after tearing his ACL the year before.

6-7 years is a long time though. It'll be interesting to watch his career unfold.

fallforward3y+
05-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Good post. I guess 'the best' will always be an opinion.

Era's and OL'S, etc........... mean there are too many variables to have a conclusive answer..... but AP does carry his offense and has an average QB, a poor passing game and often faces heavy loaded boxes..... so he does it the tough way.

AP had the worst yards per carry of his career the one year he actually had a good passing game in 2009. It seems that he actually benefits from teams stacking the box.

The reason is due to the big runs it leads to. When a team stacks the box, it leaves them vulnerable when a back finds a crease in the defense, and gets to open grass. Then, there's no one there.

Many times we've seen AP bounce to the outside when the defense plugs holes between the tackles, and take it to the house. That, or get through a crease in the mass of defenders between the tackles. All it takes is a small crease in one part of the line, for a few seconds and runs through it, gets into open grass, and has a TON of space with only a FS to elude.

In a base defense however, there's a strong safety in open space to make tackles on the edge. Linebackers are also there to make tackles, when they aren't over pursuing because they crowd the LOS.

Happened to us in high school, our coach would crowd the LOS, backs find a crease and that's all it takes for it to go to the house.

beastlyskronk
05-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Peterson does good against a stacked box because the Vikings run so many draw plays at those stacked boxes. Peterson's explosion eliminates anybody that gets in the backfield and Minnesota does a good job of letting them get far enough up field for them to be eliminated from the play.

baphamet
05-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Here are the stats of some of the best RB's -

Emmitt Smith - 15 Seasons, 18,355 yards, 4.2 ypc, 175 td's (rushing and receiving)

Walter Payton - 13 Seasons, 16,726 yards, 4.4 ypc, 125 td's (rushing and receiving)

Barry Sanders - 10 Seasons, 15,269 yards, 5.0 ypc, 165 td's (rushing and receiving)

LaDainian Tomlinson - 11 Seasons, 13,684 yards, 4.3 ypc, 162 td's (rushing and receiving)

Eric Dickerson - 11 Seasons, 13,259 yards, 4.4 ypc, 96 td's (rushing and receiving)

Jim Brown - 9 Seasons, 12,312 yards, 5.2 ypc, 126 td's (rushing and receiving)

O J Simpson - 11 Seasons, 11,236 yards, 4.7 ypc, 75 td's (rushing and receiving)

Terrell Davis - 8 Seasons, 7,607 yards, 4.6 ypc, 65 td's (rushing and receiving)

Gayle Sayers - 7 Seasons, 4,956 yards, 5.0 ypc, 48 td's (rushing and receiving)

Adrian Peterson - 6 Seasons, 8,849 yards, 5.0 ypc, 80 td's (rushing and receiving)

I know its hard to compare because of different era's, talent on the team, etc.......... and it will depend on injury and when he starts to slow down.

He should have 5-6 years left. I think he could get to #2 in terms of yards and probably TD's.

I think its an interesting debate. Sometimes I think players of the past are romanticized a little too much and the general thought is someone playing today can't possibly be better then some other legends.

He will be in the HOF, but do you think we are watching the best RB of all time...... when he hangs them up.

peterson is 28 years old, he doesn't have 5-6 productive years left, especially considering he has had injury issues his entire career.

he had a great season last year but i would say he has maybe 2-3 really productive years left at most (provided he stays healthy) and maybe a couple not so productive years after that.

if he can get to 12k yards and 120 TD's he will have a good shot at getting to the HOF. but to me i don't think he has much of a chance to even be considered the GOAT unless he has 2-3 more seasons like he just had.

bronx_2003
05-27-2013, 09:56 AM
peterson is 28 years old, he doesn't have 5-6 productive years left, especially considering he has had injury issues his entire career.

he had a great season last year but i would say he has maybe 2-3 really productive years left at most (provided he stays healthy) and maybe a couple not so productive years after that.

if he can get to 12k yards and 120 TD's he will have a good shot at getting to the HOF. but to me i don't think he has much of a chance to even be considered the GOAT unless he has 2-3 more seasons like he just had.

He has played 6 years and missed 7 games.

baphamet
05-27-2013, 10:03 AM
He has played 6 years and missed 7 games.

he has struggled with injuries his whole career, even in college. he just came back from a torn acl injury. i am not trying to hate on him, just saying that injury has been a factor for him and will likely continue.

not only that but you also have to consider his reckless running style, i would be shocked if he has 4 or 5 more productive years to be perfectly honest.

bronx_2003
05-27-2013, 10:09 AM
he has struggled with injuries his whole career, even in college. he just came back from a torn acl injury. i am not trying to hate on him, just saying that injury has been a factor for him and will likely continue.

not only that but you also have to consider his reckless running style, i would be shocked if he has 4 or 5 more productive years to be perfectly honest.

but we can argue about his running style or perceived injury problems but facts are facts. He has been extremely durable.

At 32/33 most of the top backs on that list still had big seasons, I see no reason why AP can't. He is just as talented as anyone on that list

baphamet
05-27-2013, 08:51 PM
but we can argue about his running style or perceived injury problems but facts are facts. He has been extremely durable.

At 32/33 most of the top backs on that list still had big seasons, I see no reason why AP can't. He is just as talented as anyone on that list

actually, age 30 is usually the breaking point for feature backs, that's what people always say at least. i am not saying he cant do it, i am just saying i will be really shocked if he makes it another 4 or 5 years without slowing down a lot or missing major time due to injury.

just because he hasn't missed a lot of time doesn't say otherwise, it just says he has been a little lucky with the timing of his injuries.

he broke his collar bone in his last game as a sooner (he missed half the season) and he tore his acl and mcl at the end of the 2011 season, he had all off season to recover and rehab it.

had that injury happened early in the season he would have been out for the season.

most of the backs that do last a long time are backs that avoid contact, AP is not a back that avoids contact. also, i wouldn't call a player durable when he has had two mayor surgeries in his career.

not saying he is injury prone but he isn't durable IMO.

fallforward3y+
05-29-2013, 12:06 AM
We really don't know how long he will last, no way to predict that. The contact runners not lasting long is a myth, Riggins still played at 36. It depends on the runner themselves, leaning forward when they run is a big part of not taking punishment, running upright is his biggest problem. Most defenders tackle sloppily anyway, so it doesn't hurt his productivity against most defenses, but it will add to the punishment he takes.

Hard to say how long he'll last, you really can't tell. McGahee is an injury prone back, that is a contact oriented runner today and he's still around, nobody thought he would be.

bronx_2003
05-29-2013, 07:02 AM
We really don't know how long he will last, no way to predict that. The contact runners not lasting long is a myth, Riggins still played at 36. It depends on the runner themselves, leaning forward when they run is a big part of not taking punishment, running upright is his biggest problem. Most defenders tackle sloppily anyway, so it doesn't hurt his productivity against most defenses, but it will add to the punishment he takes.

Hard to say how long he'll last, you really can't tell. McGahee is an injury prone back, that is a contact oriented runner today and he's still around, nobody thought he would be.

Yep, I agree. We could all argue this point but the truth is no one really knows. However, in 5 years he will be 33. I think its pretty likely he will still be a top back then, can't see any reason he wouldn't be.

Joshua2585
05-29-2013, 08:50 AM
AP is great... one of the greatest to be sure. I think that is already safe to say.

As far as the GOAT: Barry Sanders IMO will be pretty much impossible to beat. When you consider the state of the franchise, the talent around him... mainly his O-Line. The next time we see a RB with a garbage team, garbage line, in a garbage franchise rush the way Barry did, then we can reconvene on this. I think that is why BS really stands out on that list.

Freyaka
05-29-2013, 10:56 AM
No for the same reason TD didn't go down as the best of all time. Backs that take that much abuse don't ever last long in today's league...He won't survive to as many seasons as guys like Emmit, sanders, tomlinson ect... I doubt he makes it more than 2-3 more "healthy" years before his career is done or he has a severe production drop off.

baphamet
05-29-2013, 12:25 PM
No for the same reason TD didn't go down as the best of all time. Backs that take that much abuse don't ever last long in today's league...He won't survive to as many seasons as guys like Emmit, sanders, tomlinson ect... I doubt he makes it more than 2-3 more "healthy" years before his career is done or he has a severe production drop off.

yep.....but again, its not impossible.

good luck to him, he will need it in that regard.

bronx_2003
05-29-2013, 12:33 PM

2-3 years left ? I find that highly unlikely.

and TD got a freak injury following a pick. That led to his eventual retirement.

Eric Dickerson was a more physical back and had 11 seasons.

baphamet
05-29-2013, 12:35 PM
AP is great... one of the greatest to be sure. I think that is already safe to say.

As far as the GOAT: Barry Sanders IMO will be pretty much impossible to beat. When you consider the state of the franchise, the talent around him... mainly his O-Line. The next time we see a RB with a garbage team, garbage line, in a garbage franchise rush the way Barry did, then we can reconvene on this. I think that is why BS really stands out on that list.

i agree about barry, even though there have been other backs that have been really good without a decent OL or other stars to take pressure of of them.

regardless of the team around them, we will likely never see a back rush like barry did, especially when you consider the speed of today's defenses, i don't even know if barry could do it in today's NFL like he did in the 90's

but last years season for AP was on a bad team, bad franchise, with a good but not great OL. me being the homer that i am, i witnessed LT's 2003 season that is a perfect example of this on a really bad team, bad franchise, and bad OL.

in fact he did it in his first 3-4 seasons until his OL and team got better around him.

baphamet
05-29-2013, 12:43 PM
2-3 years left ? I find that highly unlikely.

and TD got a freak injury following a pick. That led to his eventual retirement.

Eric Dickerson was a more physical back and had 11 seasons.

whats so hard to believe about that? Eric Dickerson may have played 11 years but he only had 7 quality productive years until his production dipped way off.

LT had his big year when he was just one year younger than AP and his production dipped way off 2 years after that (a much more durable back that takes less contact than AP i might add). sure its unlikely he retires in 2-3 years (unless he hurts his knee again) but it is very likely we see his production drop significantly in the next 2-3 years.

its not an absolute conclusion but history with RB's in the NFL tells us its very likely to happen. an NFL running backs shelf life just doesn't last that long usually, especially for a feature back like AP.

fallforward3y+
05-31-2013, 03:09 AM

Barry didn't play on garbage teams, Detroit had some good teams. His line wasn't as bad as it was made out to be either it had a lot to do with him dancing around. Plus, he made the big runs by eluding guys in the backfield, wouldn't have been much better in a statistical sense with a good line.

There is not GOAT, no undisputed best(except perhaps Jerry Rice). GOAT is just a myth in the minds of fans who's team has a player in the discussion.

fallforward3y+
05-31-2013, 03:13 AM

John Riggins disagrees, 2nd oldest to ever line up at RB I believe behind Marcus Allen. Warrick Dunn was more of a contact oriented back than many realize, at 180 lbs he lasted 12 seasons, and could have likely had more. It's about knowing how to protect yourself when you take on contact.

fallforward3y+
05-31-2013, 03:15 AM
whats so hard to believe about that? Eric Dickerson may have played 11 years but he only had 7 quality productive years until his production dipped way off.

LT had his big year when he was just one year younger than AP and his production dipped way off 2 years after that (a much more durable back that takes less contact than AP i might add). sure its unlikely he retires in 2-3 years (unless he hurts his knee again) but it is very likely we see his production drop significantly in the next 2-3 years.

its not an absolute conclusion but history with RB's in the NFL tells us its very likely to happen. an NFL running backs shelf life just doesn't last that long usually, especially for a feature back like AP.

2 reasons LT suddenly dipped. 1-Turf toe injury-he relied heavily on his quick feet, that made it hard to cut. That injury would have less impact on a contact style back. 2-The loss of Lorenzo Neal-the blocking makes the stats, for the most part. Ask Shawn Alexander.

baphamet
05-31-2013, 12:06 PM
2 reasons LT suddenly dipped. 1-Turf toe injury-he relied heavily on his quick feet, that made it hard to cut. That injury would have less impact on a contact style back. 2-The loss of Lorenzo Neal-the blocking makes the stats, for the most part. Ask Shawn Alexander.

that's odd because LT ran just fine before lo neal got there, he didn't need a FB to help him block in the short passing game, yet his production there slipped as well.

and yeah, after a player gets a lot of wear and tear on his legs injuries are more likely to occur. not sure why some of you are trying to deny that a RB has a short shelf life in the NFL, its pretty much common knowledge.

sure there have been some exceptions and that is why i say it is possible AP can do it, its just unlikely given his track record with serious injuries, the amount of carries he gets, and his running style.

but we will see what happens, i wish him all the best, he is a great back.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-31-2013, 12:43 PM
LT was an awesome running back. I'm glad Denver doesn't have to face him anymore. Man that dude got to the corner quick.

fallforward3y+
06-01-2013, 04:55 AM
that's odd because LT ran just fine before lo neal got there, he didn't need a FB to help him block in the short passing game, yet his production there slipped as well.

and yeah, after a player gets a lot of wear and tear on his legs injuries are more likely to occur. not sure why some of you are trying to deny that a RB has a short shelf life in the NFL, its pretty much common knowledge.

sure there have been some exceptions and that is why i say it is possible AP can do it, its just unlikely given his track record with serious injuries, the amount of carries he gets, and his running style.

but we will see what happens, i wish him all the best, he is a great back.

He had 1 good statistical year in 2002 in SD without Neal, the year before he arrived. That year, LT's stats were inflated largely by a few games, the run game it wasn't consistent. There is really no evidence suggesting that contact oriented backs have less longevity, every back gets hit it's more about protecting yourself when you run. The Chargers run blocking declined, LT's stats declined. He goes to the Jets, a better o-line and no surprise they go back up.

Plus, like I said it also was because of a turf toe injury. The turf toe injury kills a juke style back.

His production in the short passing game didn't slip much in 2008. Down in 2009, probably more about SD doing more deep passing than they had in the past. In 2010, it went back up with the Jets to normal production.

Sure, backs don't last forever but the longevity is different for every back, and it's unpredictable. He may suffer a freak injury next year, he may be the oldest player to ever line up at RB who knows.

bears6385
06-01-2013, 05:58 PM

But the stats do change, and history has shown that even the backs deemed elite don't do well behind bad lines.Depends on the back you are talking about. Take Walter Payton for example, in his first eight years he played behind an ok line that was really nothing special. Left to right Albrect, Jackson, Neal, Sorey, Lick, you are not going to find any all pro's in that bunch. Yet Payton had three of his best five years running behind that line. It was not until 1983 that the Bears started to build that great Super Bowl line of Covert, Bortz, Hilgenberg, Thayer/Becker, Van Horne.

As for AP, I would say he is the greatest runner in the game today, but I do not think he will ever be considered the GOAT. Brown, Payton, Sanders, you can make an argument for any of those three. After that it is everyone else, and AP may end up in that tier..........great player, just not the GOAT.

theMileHighGuy
06-01-2013, 06:54 PM
I don't think you can raise questions about how long he will play after what we've seen from him this past season. It is impossible to predict, but from a nutritional and health technology standpoint we're much further advanced than when the previous greats were flourishing. He very well could play longer and stay productive longer than the average successful back... I'm not going to count him out of playing till he's in his late 30s. If he breaks 2000 yards again, that automatically puts him in the conversation I think. If he breaks Dickerson's record, the conversation gets much shorter.

The greatest ever picture is convoluted though. It most certainly carries into the fold both stats and extra curriculars like Super Bowl rings, which AP may very well never see. He may not finish with the most yards or touchdowns or have the highest average, but he still could be the best back ever.

fallforward3y+
06-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Depends on the back you are talking about. Take Walter Payton for example, in his first eight years he played behind an ok line that was really nothing special. Left to right Albrect, Jackson, Neal, Sorey, Lick, you are not going to find any all pro's in that bunch. Yet Payton had three of his best five years running behind that line. It was not until 1983 that the Bears started to build that great Super Bowl line of Covert, Bortz, Hilgenberg, Thayer/Becker, Van Horne.

As for AP, I would say he is the greatest runner in the game today, but I do not think he will ever be considered the GOAT. Brown, Payton, Sanders, you can make an argument for any of those three. After that it is everyone else, and AP may end up in that tier..........great player, just not the GOAT.

Well, a line can be good without any all-pros if they work well together and the scheme is good. Payton's line atleast was good, even if not great. Mainly, I was referring to the misconception that great backs are going to put up good numbers regardless of the line, which is simply not true. No back is going to do good if they're getting hit at the LOS by 2 guys every play(unless the defense is just REALLY bad at tackling) you have to get 1 on1s. The line for the most part, makes the stats.

I've seen it many times, backs considered great or good go to worse lines, and the stats aren't so good anymore. Others are labeled busts, until they go to better lines. SA fell off when Hutch left, LJ fell off after losing Roaf/Shields, LT fell off when SD's blocking worsened, had a better year with a better line in the Jets after he supposedly declined due to age. Edge fell off after going to AZ from Indy, the loss of a top 10 all time rusher however, did not slow their run game down with Addai the next year. Thomas Jones signing is seen as a failure in NY, until they sign Feneca and he's considered snubbed from the pro bowl. No surprise Parker's stats take a dip the same year because Feneca left Pitts.

Backs get labeled elite, but it seems the same pattern applies to the backs perceived as elite. Sometimes, you'll see a back put up good stats behind a line perceived as bad, but it's very misleading.

Chris Johnson is a great example. He dances in the backfield a lot, giving defenders time to get in the backfield and stop him. That makes his line perceived as bad, with more hits in the backfield that are caused by him. He doesn't help sustain a consistent running game that the Titans can actually use effectively, but he'll bust a big run that inflates the stats thus making it appear that he runs well, and behind a bad line that he makes look worse.

fallforward3y+
06-01-2013, 11:36 PM
I don't think you can raise questions about how long he will play after what we've seen from him this past season. It is impossible to predict, but from a nutritional and health technology standpoint we're much further advanced than when the previous greats were flourishing. He very well could play longer and stay productive longer than the average successful back... I'm not going to count him out of playing till he's in his late 30s. If he breaks 2000 yards again, that automatically puts him in the conversation I think. If he breaks Dickerson's record, the conversation gets much shorter.

The greatest ever picture is convoluted though. It most certainly carries into the fold both stats and extra curriculars like Super Bowl rings, which AP may very well never see. He may not finish with the most yards or touchdowns or have the highest average, but he still could be the best back ever.

That's part of why using rings for an individual player should not be done. Essentially you have said that despite his skill and what he contributes, he will likely never see a ring for reasons not his fault. That is a strong indicator that rings are meaningless in evaluating an individual player. The HOF definitely takes them into consideration, and it is seen as the ultimate legitimizer of a player, but perhaps it shouldn't be seen that way.

baphamet
06-02-2013, 10:46 AM
He had 1 good statistical year in 2002 in SD without Neal, the year before he arrived. That year, LT's stats were inflated largely by a few games, the run game it wasn't consistent. There is really no evidence suggesting that contact oriented backs have less longevity, every back gets hit it's more about protecting yourself when you run. The Chargers run blocking declined, LT's stats declined. He goes to the Jets, a better o-line and no surprise they go back up.

Plus, like I said it also was because of a turf toe injury. The turf toe injury kills a juke style back.

His production in the short passing game didn't slip much in 2008. Down in 2009, probably more about SD doing more deep passing than they had in the past. In 2010, it went back up with the Jets to normal production.

Sure, backs don't last forever but the longevity is different for every back, and it's unpredictable. He may suffer a freak injury next year, he may be the oldest player to ever line up at RB who knows.

LT's stats never went back up with the jets lol

maybe slightly but at that point he was done. and LT's rookie 2001 campaign was quite good as well. not trying to derail this thread but i am just saying, LT had a lot of miles on him and he declined fast as soon as he hit 30.

also. almost every back i can think of who has lasted a while were backs that avoided contact. its really just common sense, if you avoid contact you are going to take less punishment.

if AP was a part of a committee of running backs i would say he has a better chance of lasting longer, but he is one of the few feature backs left in the NFL.

samparnell
06-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Adrian Peterson is definitely in the conversation about who the greatest RB is. To be in the conversation with these great HOF players shows just how great he is. Emmitt for longevity, JB for ypa, Barry for elusiveness and TDs. AP reminds me more of Eric Dickerson. By far the most impressive thing about Peterson is how he has rehabbed from serious injuries. The Vikings' O was fun to watch last year: I Formations and basic plays. :thumb:

fallforward3y+
06-02-2013, 06:07 PM
LT's stats never went back up with the jets lol

maybe slightly but at that point he was done. and LT's rookie 2001 campaign was quite good as well. not trying to derail this thread but i am just saying, LT had a lot of miles on him and he declined fast as soon as he hit 30.

also. almost every back i can think of who has lasted a while were backs that avoided contact. its really just common sense, if you avoid contact you are going to take less punishment.

if AP was a part of a committee of running backs i would say he has a better chance of lasting longer, but he is one of the few feature backs left in the NFL.

Yes they did, his YPC went up and the yards went up from the previous year, due to playing on a better line. He went to a split back system, which is why they didn't go up more. If the sudden decline was due to age, they would have stayed down.

The point is, a back can last a long time if they protect themselves when they run, even taking on contact. Even juke style backs will get hit, perhaps a little less but protecting yourself when you run is the key part. Fred Taylor was more of a contact back and he lasted awhile, longer than Barber who was more of an elusive type. Riggins outlasted Sanders, Warrick Dunn lasted awhile and he was more of a contact back than many thought.

In some instances, an elusive back lasts longer but there's really no set pattern.