PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Favorite Athletes of All Time

Shiz
05-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Man it's been awhile since I've posted but after watching the one who inspired me to post this topic, I thought this could be a fun thread.

So without further ado, here are my 3 top favorite athletes in no particular order...

John Elway - I was born in 1980 and remember being a young buck watching The Duke carry us to some memorable AFC Championship games against the Browns, take us to the SB three times and each time coming away heart broken but growing as a Bronco fan. The many comeback wins. Then winning back to back championships and embedding these games as the most memorable sports moments in my life.

Michael Jordan - Again it was a fantastic time to grow up in the sports world. I was old enough to understand and follow sports. During what I would call one of the best era's of NBA (only because I wasn't born before the 80s). We had Magic, Clyde The Glide, The Admiral, Bird, Isaiah Thomas, The Dream, Reggie, Wilkins, Malone, I can go on and on. Then there was Jordan who, no matter what game I was watching, seemed to always have something special to show. It has been years since I woulda made sure to not miss an NBA game no matter when it was playing. As a kid I would sit in awe and cheer my heart out for the Bulls up to the end of Jordan's career (even with the Wizards). He was simply amazing and special.

The the one who inspired this topic...Mike Tyson.

He dominated a sport, beginning at a young age, with such a force. Any and all highlights available I will not miss. I watched the many PPVs he dominated. Doesn't matter how his career finished because I remember how he resurrected a sport and absolutely was the best of his era.

So there you have it. These are my three. Lets hear yours!!

EddieMac
05-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Three, eh?

That might be hard to do. The Broncos Roster from the 80's and 90's will take up more than that. Ok I'll try and pick only three.

Randy Couture - Loved watching him fight right up until the end. Got to see him live in Vegas in 2002 when he lost to Josh Barnett. Got to meet him outside before the fight and class all the way.

John Elway - I only want one Bronco on this list and it would have to be him. Watched his whole caeer and loved every minute of the comebacks etc.

Na gotta do two Broncos, it's my team.

Terrell Davis - The only problem is that his career was too short.

Honorable mentions:

Ed McCaffrey
Bill Romanowski
Al Wilson
Mike Tyson
Joe Carter (Blue Jays)
Jarome Iginla

InsaneBlaze23
05-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Brett Favre: My favorite football player and probably my favorite athlete of all time. I was born the same year he was traded to the Packers. Grew up watching him. He was the reason I wanted to play football, the reason why I wanted to be a QB.(the door to that dream was shut). I always enjoyed watching him play. It was like football wasn't a job to him. It was like he was a kid playing in his back yard. To me there has never been a player so entertaining to watch. A man dedicated to his job.

Henrik Zetterberg: My favorite hockey player. A great man, a respectable man. He may not dangle like Datsyuk, or score like Jagr. But he is always entertaining and always the person to keep your eyes on, on the ice.

Ronald Simpkins: Ron may not be a hall or famer, a Super Bowl champion, or a pro bowler. But he was a good linebacker and one of the best line backers to play for Michigan University. I also have the privilege to call him grandfather. He played for one of my favorite teams(Packers). He's a great man, teacher, and idol.

Honorable mentions:
Nicklas Lidstrom
Anderson Silva
Maurício Rua
Mark Calaway
Derek Jeter
Shaq

HUMCALC
05-20-2013, 05:36 PM
#1 Tim Tebow-His fire and passion make him a joy to watch
#2 Brett Favre-His childlike joy for the game is unmatched
#3 Barry Sanders-The moves that he pulled off make everyone's jaws drop. He is simply the greatest RB EVER!

Honorable mention:

John Elway-The GOAT
Lebron James-a freak of physical nature
Reggie Miller-Not many more clutch shooters
Dennis Rodman-His "colorful" nature and hustle made him fun to watch
Joakim Noah-Heart, hustle, and muscle are unmatched among centers

58_VONDOOM_92
05-20-2013, 05:40 PM
#1 Tim Tebow-His fire and passion make him a joy to watch
#2 Brett Favre-His childlike joy for the game is unmatched
#3 Barry Sanders-The moves that he pulled off make everyone's jaws drop. He is simply the greatest RB EVER!

Honorable mention:

John Elway-The GOAT
Lebron James-a freak of physical nature
Reggie Miller-Not many more clutch shooters
Dennis Rodman-His "colorful" nature and hustle made him fun to watch
Joakim Noah-Heart, hustle, and muscle are unmatched among centers

For being a Bulls fan im shocked you didn't say Jordan

HUMCALC
05-20-2013, 05:47 PM
For being a Bulls fan im shocked you didn't say Jordan

For some reason, he rubbed me the wrong way. He's still the Goat, but I just never got into him

58_VONDOOM_92
05-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Michael Jordan: Greatest athlete in all of sports.

John Elway: What else is there to say, hes the GOAT

Berry Sanders: He was straight up nasty with having one of the worse OL's in his career

HUMCALC
05-20-2013, 06:08 PM
I'd LOVE to see MJ vs LBJ (both in their prime)

58_VONDOOM_92
05-20-2013, 06:11 PM
I'd LOVE to see MJ vs LBJ (both in their prime)

I would take MJ but Lebron is a close second and I would take the 90's bulls over the LeBron Lead Heat anyday

beastlyskronk
05-20-2013, 06:11 PM
John Elway: the reason I picked up smoking lol
Rod Smith: Extremely hard worker, always looked up to him
Allen Iverson: my favorite basketball player to watch ever

The Experience
05-20-2013, 09:49 PM
http://greenobles.com/data_images/ken-griffey-jr/ken-griffey-jr-03.jpg

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4509772520686278&pid=15.1

http://img.fannation.com/upload/si_blog_post_images/p1.sanders.jpg

Spice 1
05-21-2013, 07:31 AM
Evander Holyfield
More heart than any other heavy weight. Real Deal was a pure boxer, a brawler, a counter puncher, or whatever he needed to be. He could do it all, and because he was a natural Light Heavyweight/cruiserweight taking on mongoloids like Lennox Lewis and Riddick Bowe, it always made for entertaining fights. Holy backed down from no one. He stood toe to toe with George Foreman and got the better of him. He beat Tyson into submission. He walked through hell three times against Bowe. The only guy who ever truly outboxed him while he was in his prime years was Lewis, and Lewis stayed on the outside clinched every time Holyfield got anywhere near him. Detractors say, "yeah, but he was juicing". He was also fighting guys naturally thirty to forty pounds heavier than he was too.

Steve Atwater
Don't need much explanation. I'm just glad he was born when he was, and didn't have to play with this charade of a rule book we have now.

Deion Sanders
Not only one of the two or three best return men in NFL history, but the best corner by a wide margin. I would go out of my way to watch Cowboys games just to see Deion play. I owned a Dallas Cowboys Deion Sanders Jersey, and I hate the Cowboys. There will never be another corner like Deion.

BroncoFanBoy
05-21-2013, 08:18 PM
1. John Elway
2. Peyton Manning (Not just because he plays for us)
3. Troy Tulowitzki

Honorable mentions:
Larry Walker
Todd Helton
Joe Sakic
Patrick Roy
Von Miller
Ken Griffey Jr.
Derek Jeter
Roy Halladay (Colorado native, plus I like how he played in his career)

Thors Hammer
05-21-2013, 09:18 PM
John Elway - My All-Time favorite athlete, and the reason I became a Bronco fan at a young age.

Luc Robitaille - He retired as the highest scoring Left Winger of all time with 668 goals. Not bad for someone who supposedly couldn't skate.

Robin Yount - 2 time MLB MVP at 2 different positions. (Shortstop and Centerfield) Paul Molitor would be a close second. I miss the days of Batman and Robin.

HUMCALC
05-22-2013, 12:33 PM
I can't believe that I forgot to put Sammy Sosa as an honorable mention, he got me into baeball with his hops & kisses

EvertonBroncos
05-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Jake Plummer - Favourite Broncos player ever and one of the main reasons I got into the NFL.
Miroslav Klose - My favourite footballer of all time, massively underrated and a true sportsman.
Kevin Campbell - Was Everton's best player (which wasn't hard at the time, we were truly an awful team) when I was a very young boy, basically kept us from being relegated, therefore he's indirectly responsible for how good we are now. Amazing player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl09_bqKQUo

InsaneBlaze23
05-22-2013, 12:58 PM
I forgot to add Lionel Messi to honorable mentions. He is my favorite Soccer player and the only reason I watch Men's Soccer.

DenverBlood
05-25-2013, 10:50 AM
1. Elway
2. Ken Griffey jr.
3 Tulowitzki

Broncoholic3233
05-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Hmmm...tough....

1. John Elway
2. Chauncey Billups
3. Carlos Gonzalez

It kills me to leave Champ off the list...

SoundsOfSuccess
05-25-2013, 12:48 PM
1. Champ Bailey
2. Tim Salmon
3. Teemu Selanne
3b. Rod Smith

bronx_2003
06-01-2013, 06:34 PM
My favorite athlete of all time is Shane Warne.

Might not mean much to most people. He played cricket and was a leg spinner. One of the all time leading wicket takers. Not always well behaved but a true character, a true leader, and a match winner for Australia. He also was captain at my local cricket team Hampshire and turned their fortunes around.

He never got on with the coaches much, one annoyed him in particular which led to his famous quote - 'the coach is something I drive to the ground in' lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyHX7GsrMlo

samparnell
06-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Demonstrably and arguably the greatest male athlete in modern times is Jim Thorpe; the greatest female athlete is Babe Didrikson Zaharias. My favorite athlete is Floyd Little because he was one of the people who made the sixties a bit more tolerable.

ERoyal248
06-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Elway, MJ and Jeter.

TecmoElway
06-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Andy Van Slyke - CF during the late 1980s and early 1990s for the Pirates; kick ass fielder
Ken Griffey Jr.
John Elway

Southstander
06-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Ted Williams
"The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michales
Tim Tebow

Bronco51
06-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Dr. J
Air Jordan
Charles Barkley