PDA

View Full Version : Best places to eat in downtown Denver

Broncos 58
05-22-2013, 01:57 AM
Hi, i am coming to Denver from the UK to watch the Monday night game against the Raiders on 23rd September. Can anybody tell me the best (cheapest) places to eat in downtown Denver please? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Cheers

flosstein
05-22-2013, 05:17 AM
I know the locals will have a few more and varying opinions. But on my trip, I loved the Buckhorn. Oldest restaurant in the town and filled with history. Lots of exotic meats, good food, live music, and great atmosphere. Rattlesnake dip was "off da' chain"!

BroncoFanBoy
05-22-2013, 05:20 AM
This should be in the "Anything But Football" section.

I don't know much about downtown Denver restruants, but I like White Fence Farm. (This is in Lakewood, but it's close enough)

Taos_Broncomaniac
05-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Willie G's...Oysters Rockefeller!

causticon
05-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Sams No 3 is great for diner food. Downtown Denver doesn't have a lot of cheaper spots.

denversdivision
05-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Hi, i am coming to Denver from the UK to watch the Monday night game against the Raiders on 23rd September. Can anybody tell me the best (cheapest) places to eat in downtown Denver please? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Cheers

ELWAYS ....its in the ritz downtown...give them a shout ....addy and phone should be easy to google

Ooops just realized you wanted CHEAPER...DIS REGUARD

VenomousDB
05-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Lol ok I'm not even going to mention that one place

Good places to eat (pretty expensive though) are the Buckhorn Exchange, Elways, and pretty much every restaurant downtown.

If you like burgers then The Cherry Cricket is the best. I've had a 20 dollar burger at one of Gordon Ramsays restaurants and it still couldn't beat the Cherry Cricket. It's located right by Elways in cherry creek.

If you like pizza then go to Beaujos. I'm not sure if they have a restaurant downtown though.

Wazee supper club has good prices as well

EddieMac
05-23-2013, 09:37 AM
The tilted Kilt is pretty boring food....but the Scenery is GREAT!!

When I was there is seems a lot of the out of towners in for the game were there and it was a good time.

CoryWinget81
05-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Cheaper? Sams no. 3. Not going to find a lot of "cheap" places in downtown. Do yourself a favor and hot up a good local place and not worry too much an about the price at least once. There's a ton of good pizza spots too. Lucky Pie or Sexy Pizza come to mind. Buenos Aires too.

Buckhorn, Elways, etc places like that are $$$$ and I honestly think Elways is overrated. Mortons is a much better steakhouse for the exorbitant price you're paying.

VenomousDB
05-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Cheaper? Sams no. 3. Not going to find a lot of "cheap" places in downtown. Do yourself a favor and hot up a good local place and not worry too much an about the price at least once. There's a ton of good pizza spots too. Lucky Pie or Sexy Pizza come to mind. Buenos Aires too.

Buckhorn, Elways, etc places like that are $$$$ and I honestly think Elways is overrated. Mortons is a much better steakhouse for the exorbitant price you're paying.

Hey watch youyr language

flosstein
05-23-2013, 03:14 PM

I agree about Elway's. But it's one of "pilgrimage stops". If you're a Bronco fan and making your first trip to Denver, u have to make time for Elway's, even if it's for late lunch/early dinner. Nothing like eating an over priced, instant "olive garden-esque", meal with the thought that "HE" might just walk in. U know its not gonna happen, but when u get up to go to the can and see the "Helicopter" and "The Trophy" photos on the walls by the bar, u just gotta dream, lol!!!

Sam_Z
05-23-2013, 03:37 PM
I like the Wishbone its about 8 miles northwest of downtown Denver in Westminster off of N federal blvd and 97th ave they have IMO the best chicken in town alone with some fantastic T-bones and drum stick size shrimp.

Or there is the Melting Pot about the same distance southwest of D-town in Littleton, however they are a lil bit pricey.

I understand your looking for places in the city but if you want to go cheaper, you'll most likely have to go outside of downtown a little ways. But don't worry both places serve really good food and are very classy yet casual.

JWinn
05-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Welcome to Broncomania Broncos 58!

Your best bet is to use something like this;

http://denver.diningguide.com/dl1dt.htm

I picked Downtown, as that was what you indicated.

There's so much to choose from, it would be hard to suggest just a few. Use something like that, and then ask your hotel's Concierge, what he or she likes (or doesn't) from your list of choices.

Have a safe trip and a good game!

:logo:

Atwnbroncfan
05-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Well since your coming from the UK. The exchange rate alone is going to make most meals look cheap to you. So your options are wide open

Arch_Angel
05-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Close to downtown, Casa Bonita. Fine spanish food, good margaritas and fun family atmosphere.

Atwnbroncfan
05-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Close to downtown, Casa Bonita. Fine spanish food, good margaritas and fun family atmosphere.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lij4vl7mat1qc0df1.gif

JWinn
05-23-2013, 08:59 PM
http://www.casabonitadenver.com/

Even with the exchange rate, your gonna feel ripped off after dinner at Casa Bonita if it's just you. Or just you an another adult.

However, it's a great place to take little kids. Cheap mexican food, at lower quality than Taco Bell, but with an atmosphere that the kids love. They loved the caves and cliff divers, and had a blast playing the crappy games. of course, going home with something. They sell toys and a LOT of candy if I remember right.

My kids liked it when they were little, but I wont be going back until I have grandkids in the 5 to 10 age group.

Amazingly, it'll probably still be there! (I have no grandkids or prospects for any at the moment.)

Honestly, I don't know if Casa Bonita is even worth the drive from Downtown, let alone CAB FARE. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

VenomousDB
05-23-2013, 09:40 PM
I agree about Elway's. But it's one of "pilgrimage stops". If you're a Bronco fan and making your first trip to Denver, u have to make time for Elway's, even if it's for late lunch/early dinner. Nothing like eating an over priced, instant "olive garden-esque", meal with the thought that "HE" might just walk in. U know its not gonna happen, but when u get up to go to the can and see the "Helicopter" and "The Trophy" photos on the walls by the bar, u just gotta dream, lol!!!

olive garden esque? Hardly

Sam_Z
05-23-2013, 09:44 PM
http://www.casabonitadenver.com/

Even with the exchange rate, your gonna feel ripped off after dinner at Casa Bonita if it's just you. Or just you an another adult.

However, it's a great place to take little kids. Cheap mexican food, at lower quality than Taco Bell, but with an atmosphere that the kids love. They loved the caves and cliff divers, and had a blast playing the crappy games. of course, going home with something. They sell toys and a LOT of candy if I remember right.

My kids liked it when they were little, but I wont be going back until I have grandkids in the 5 to 10 age group.

Amazingly, it'll probably still be there! (I have no grandkids or prospects for any at the moment.)

Honestly, I don't know if Casa Bonita is even worth the drive from Downtown, let alone CAB FARE. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

The cab fare would be riddiculous because he'd have to a round trip. haha I don't think he'd want to be catching the bus through edge water. But anyway I agree with you on the food (aside from the cheese enchiladas) although I don't think they are anything more than a TV dinner they are somewhat decent but hey maybe all that's changed because I'm to understand that its been under new ownership the past couple years.

JWinn
05-24-2013, 08:32 PM
The cab fare would be riddiculous because he'd have to a round trip. haha I don't think he'd want to be catching the bus through edge water. But anyway I agree with you on the food (aside from the cheese enchiladas) although I don't think they are anything more than a TV dinner they are somewhat decent but hey maybe all that's changed because I'm to understand that its been under new ownership the past couple years.

A TV dinner is a perfect description of the food at CB.

But yeah, I am the same. It's been a long time since I have been there. I suppose it could be better now. It sure couldn't be much worse, that's for sure.

I forgot about returning cab fare. Deal breaker, for sure. :laugh:

flosstein
05-24-2013, 10:39 PM
olive garden esque? Hardly

That may have been a bad example, but u get the gist.

Broncos 58
05-25-2013, 01:48 AM
Hi, thank you all very much for all of the suggestions they are most helpful. Really looking forward to my first experience of a Broncos game and a visit to Denver.
Cheers

VenomousDB
05-25-2013, 03:14 PM
That may have been a bad example, but u get the gist.

I dunno. Ive been to a lot of steakhouses around Denver and several in Las Vegas. I think Elways is up there

Sam_Z
05-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Heres another little artisan place I recently found Downtown. It's pretty good.
http://www.thrillist.com/food/denver/co/80202/highland/eat-drink-denver_cooking_shops_wine

flosstein
05-25-2013, 08:55 PM
I dunno. Ive been to a lot of steakhouses around Denver and several in Las Vegas. I think Elways is up there

It's a fancy Outback, (that was the example I wanted, but couldn't think of). The steak is good, won't deny that, but not worth the price. But what is worth the price, is the feeling of "This is John "friggin" Elway's place!

Axemaster
05-26-2013, 02:30 PM

MAN! Going there as a 9 year old kid back in 1975 the first time, was a MIND blowing experience! Its changed a lot, but still a good time, and not all that expensive!

CoryWinget81
05-26-2013, 03:03 PM
It's a fancy Outback, (that was the example I wanted, but couldn't think of). The steak is good, won't deny that, but not worth the price. But what is worth the price, is the feeling of "This is John "friggin" Elway's place!

The difference is outback doesn't have a $23 meatloaf.

CanDB
05-26-2013, 04:19 PM
The difference is outback doesn't have a $23 meatloaf.

Is it autographed?

Freyaka
05-28-2013, 03:10 PM

Lol....I'm from Kansas and I know that's not true.....

Sam_Z
05-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Lol....I'm from Kansas and I know that's not true.....

I heard that casa Bonita is under new management, so it could be lol but I'm not brave enough to go check it out. Lol

BroncosPWNn00bs
05-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Someone should make a thread for places to eat/visit in Denver and then it can be stickied. That way everyone can go view that thread for places to check out. Maybe I'll even do it, if I have time later :laugh:

Seems like we have these threads a lot. Which is no problem. I actually like suggesting places to people as well as reading some other places that I havn't heard about.

I think 1 of my favorite places to go in Denver was the ESPN Zone. Anyone go there? I was so mad when they got rid of most of the ESPN Zones. :fight: I remember I was going to take my mom there a few years back and was so mad they got rid of it. Also like going to the Cheesecake factory as well.

And then theres richy places like Elways. Which is pretty good but really pricy. But if you go downtown and walk down 16th street, you will see a bunch of good places on that road. I always like going there and checking out new restraunts every time I'm there.

But hope you enjoy your trip and let us know how it was. :salute:

Houshmazode
06-02-2013, 08:51 PM
The tilted Kilt is pretty boring food....but the Scenery is GREAT!!

When I was there is seems a lot of the out of towners in for the game were there and it was a good time.
I was there for a couple hours today while they were having the People's Fair or something in Civic Center Park. Didn't have any food though. Most of their meals are like $10-15 bucks. A decent variety of drinks.

http://www.tiltedkilt.com/locations/denver/whats-on-tap/

Not too many microbrews but it's a good place to watch a game and your waitress(es).

86Elwayfan
06-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Are you going to have a rental car on your trip or will you be relying on public transport?? I know a lot of good place near denver that aren't overly expensive but you'd need to have a rental car.

Broncos 58
06-04-2013, 01:34 AM
Are you going to have a rental car on your trip or will you be relying on public transport?? I know a lot of good place near denver that aren't overly expensive but you'd need to have a rental car.

No, we will be relying on public transport. Is the public transport very good in Denver?

Broncos 58
06-04-2013, 01:35 AM
Someone should make a thread for places to eat/visit in Denver and then it can be stickied. That way everyone can go view that thread for places to check out. Maybe I'll even do it, if I have time later :laugh:

Seems like we have these threads a lot. Which is no problem. I actually like suggesting places to people as well as reading some other places that I havn't heard about.

I think 1 of my favorite places to go in Denver was the ESPN Zone. Anyone go there? I was so mad when they got rid of most of the ESPN Zones. :fight: I remember I was going to take my mom there a few years back and was so mad they got rid of it. Also like going to the Cheesecake factory as well.

And then theres richy places like Elways. Which is pretty good but really pricy. But if you go downtown and walk down 16th street, you will see a bunch of good places on that road. I always like going there and checking out new restraunts every time I'm there.

But hope you enjoy your trip and let us know how it was. :salute:

Thank you, will post a message when we get back to say how the trip went.

CoryWinget81
06-04-2013, 07:06 AM
No, we will be relying on public transport. Is the public transport very good in Denver?

We have one of the best public transportation systems in the country.

BroncosDivision
06-04-2013, 09:29 AM

As Cory pointed out, it's actually good. They have no metro in downtown but the light rail is quite extensive and getting better as we speak with new lines opening and underway. Right now, Denver metro area is decently covered in LRT and has a robust bus network.

That being said, if you plan on dining in the outskirts of Denver metro or stuff like that, I would suggest you rent a car.

Also, if you wanna bicycle, you can do that (don't miss out on all trails in Denver, the best and most extensive in the country). Outside of Denver, you have Boulder and Fort Collins as two very bicycle friendly cities. Colorado has been very progressive in that area and is actually the most bicycle friendly state in the country as we speak.

It's healthy and you get to see a lot of things you would normally miss out on as a tourist. Just a suggestion.

bronx_2003
06-04-2013, 02:07 PM
MONGOLIAN BARBEQUE

Cheap and Great :)

and all you can eat :)

and has great beers :)

Houshmazode
06-04-2013, 08:24 PM
As Cory pointed out, it's actually good. They have no metro in downtown but the light rail is quite extensive and getting better as we speak with new lines opening and underway. Right now, Denver metro area is decently covered in LRT and has a robust bus network.

That being said, if you plan on dining in the outskirts of Denver metro or stuff like that, I would suggest you rent a car.

Also, if you wanna bicycle, you can do that (don't miss out on all trails in Denver, the best and most extensive in the country). Outside of Denver, you have Boulder and Fort Collins as two very bicycle friendly cities. Colorado has been very progressive in that area and is actually the most bicycle friendly state in the country as we speak.

It's healthy and you get to see a lot of things you would normally miss out on as a tourist. Just a suggestion.
Durango kills the rest of Colorado as far as mountain bike trails. But that's about 8 hours away. :P

There's been some nutbag old men arrested lately for harassing bicyclists and one or two even ran over a couple in the boulder area lately.

The Mall Shuttle will take you up and down 16th which goes from the Capitol all the way to Coors Field. and it's free.

BroncosDivision
06-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Durango kills the rest of Colorado as far as mountain bike trails. But that's about 8 hours away. :P

There's been some nutbag old men arrested lately for harassing bicyclists and one or two even ran over a couple in the boulder area lately.

The Mall Shuttle will take you up and down 16th which goes from the Capitol all the way to Coors Field. and it's free.

I'll take your word for it as I've never been to Durango but by best, I meant city trails. Park systems and all that. No doubt you'll find better trails outside of the city/front range.

Sounds awful, I'm glad they got caught. Why would they do that anyway? Weird people everywhere.

Houshmazode
06-05-2013, 10:44 AM
I'll take your word for it as I've never been to Durango but by best, I meant city trails. Park systems and all that. No doubt you'll find better trails outside of the city/front range.

Sounds awful, I'm glad they got caught. Why would they do that anyway? Weird people everywhere.
Idk, there's just some old grumpy bastards around here that don't want to share the road with bikers, even if there's a bike lane. lol.

dsmith275
06-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Yes Durango is my home town and had lots of fun growing up mountain biking

AllEyezOnZach27
06-09-2013, 11:23 AM
If you are a burger fan go hit up http://www.cherrycricket.com/ ...

Best in the city! Happy hour 4:30-6:00pm & 10:00-12:00am. Tons of beers on draught, cans & bottles. Cool atmosphere but can get super busy on Friday and Saturday. If you get a chance its a great local spot!

Sam_Z
06-13-2013, 07:49 PM
I don't know if its already been mentioned but the fort up in Morrison is pretty awesome although you have to call and make reservations.

NateTheGreat
06-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Go 10 minutes south to Santa Fe and Mississippi and then wet 3 blocks to Rome's Saloon. Best atmosphere for gamedays if you can't be at the stadium or for pregame or postgame!

Sam_Z
06-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Go 10 minutes south to Santa Fe and Mississippi and then wet 3 blocks to Rome's Saloon. Best atmosphere for gamedays if you can't be at the stadium or for pregame or postgame!
Very nice place, very nice attire by the waitresses, short skirts, boy shorts but the evening gowns are the best. Anyway It gets way crowded in there so it'd be a good idea to get there early.

NateTheGreat
06-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Very nice place, very nice attire by the waitresses, short skirts, boy shorts but the evening gowns are the best. Anyway It gets way crowded in there so it'd be a good idea to get there early.

Just get ahold of me I usually have tables 2 and 3 reserved about 2 hours before kickoff!

86Elwayfan
06-24-2013, 08:51 AM

Denver does have a pretty good public transportation system however it can be tricky at times getting to some of the suburban parts of the city without a car and one of the places I was going to suggest isn't in downtown.

Someone suggested the Cherrycricket I will second that notion. One of my favorite places to eat downtown is the Mellow Mushroom which is right on 16th st. mall. Great Pizza tons of beer choices hard to go wrong.

http://mellowmushroom.com/store/downtowndenver

BroncosDivision
06-24-2013, 04:24 PM

Nice! I'll have to check that one out next time I'm in town.

Broncos 58
10-02-2013, 03:54 AM
I am back in the United Kingdon after a fantastic time in Denver. The people were all incredibly friendly, the city was everything i hoped it would be, the stadium amazing and more importanly i got to watch the Broncos beat the Raiders on MNF. I am already planning my next visit to Denver to watch the Broncos play again.