PDA

View Full Version : Expanded Playoffs or 18 game regular season?

NASH79
05-22-2013, 09:38 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9301274/expanded-playoffs-18-games-mulled-roger-goodell

I'd go with expanded playoffs.

InsaneBlaze23
05-22-2013, 09:41 AM
I'd say expanded playoffs and eliminate playoff bye weeks.

#87Birdman
05-22-2013, 09:42 AM
If I had to pick one I would say 18 game regular season. If the playoffs are expanded you would end up with at least half the teams in the playoffs and that would water it down.

FL BRONCO
05-22-2013, 09:51 AM
No way to expanding playoffs. How watered down do we want it to get. We already have over a third of the teams in the playoffs. IMO ridiculous. It works well just like it is . It rewards the top two teams with byes and allows 2 wild cards to get in thus ensuring that good teams in good divisions still have a chance to make it and play weaker teams in weak divisions. If we added 2 more teams in both conferences then we would have half the teams in the playoffs every year. That to me is ridiculous. If you don't earn the right you shouldn't be there just because the owners want to make more money.

Preseason works well too it gives time to evaluate new players and see who can improve enough to make the team. How many udfa and late roud picks that have turned out to be great players would never have made their teams if the preseason were shortened. How much more where and tear would the vets have. No Thanks.

IMO the current system works just fine. If Goodell really wanted to address the problem of quality players in the preseason like he is saying it is easy, just don't charge full price for preseason tickets. But he won't do that. He is just looking to make more money and imo at the players expense and possibly at the expense of the quality of the sport overall. Just another reason I hate Goodell. He is not about player safety or about the legend and quality of the sport imo, he is all about the money.

edit: sorry, every time Goodell opens his mouth about changing this sport it makes me cringe, but my rant is over. Have a nice day.

#24 Next Champ
05-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Neither...neither...neither!!!!

Damnit Goodell you moron...if I had to choose, I'd pick 18 reg season games, because more teams in the playoffs would seriously ruin the sport

champ&dreallday
05-22-2013, 10:08 AM
NEITHER!!!! I don't agree with how soft the league is getting, but I understand. Former players are suing because of safety, and he's firing back, and/or trying to show he's trying to protect players. Adding two more games to an already brutal season is not looking out for player safety. Adding more teams to the playoffs is ridiculous as well. We squeaked in with a 8-8 record and won a playoff game, so don't sleep on a wild card. However, 7-9teams have made the playoffs and a 6-10 team is possible with more slots. Both ideas are horrible and clearly show how greedy Goddell and NFL owners are. I'm sure it costs a pretty penny to maintain the leauge, but between ticket prices and TV sales, the league is racking up $$$$. There's no need for more games or more playofff teams.

assassin216
05-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Why

I dont want half of the league in the playoffs and why would you punish the top 2 seeds for having a good record

Teams know coming into a season that you gotta win the division and beat the teams that's in your conference...why punish teams for having a better record than the rest....it makes no sense at all...

The sad part,most fans dont even want the regular season expanded,they just dont want to pay full ticket prices in the preseason...I dont understand why Goodell get the idea that fans want an expansion out of not wanting full ticket price in the preseason...it makes no sense at all...

ajm60
05-22-2013, 10:17 AM
I agree totally !

JW7
05-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Probably the worst thing Goodell could do in his tenure and that's saying a lot.

Matymaddog
05-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Neither. The fact that gooddell pulls this crap with fines for player safety then tries to do this makes it obvious it was never about safety, just a way to take more money from players.

B Real 15
05-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Dumb, just dumb for them to even discuss expanded playoffs. And adding games? What happened to player safety?

BroncosDivision
05-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Neither but I'll take 18 regular season games over expanded playoffs. The current format is just fine and helps keep it intense and honest.

Doogansquest
05-22-2013, 05:06 PM
They need to stop bringing this up every year. The body of an NFL player is already wrecked. We as fans often stand back and say moronic things like, "They get paid enough...they can give up two more weeks of their life!" Yet we have absolutely no clue how hard this job is.

We talk about player safety, but then want to add 2 more games. We talk about preventing concussions, but want to add two more weeks of slamming into each other. We talk about records as being sacred, yet add two more weeks and they start falling to average players.

No. 16 games, and 6 teams per side in the playoffs is perfect. LEAVE IT ALONE.

yaz96
05-22-2013, 05:17 PM
18 game regular season over soon-to-be meaningless playoffs.

BroncosPWNn00bs
05-22-2013, 05:27 PM
I kind of think that 4 preseason games is too little. I'd like to see more of our rookies each year. I'm kind of hoping that they have 6 preseason games, and shorten the regular season to 14 or 13 games, and then have the playoffs stay the same. :salute:

CanDB
05-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Money, it's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands
And make a stash

Goodell's anthem.....

BroncoSexyDaddy
05-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Money, it's a gas
And make a stash

Goodell's anthem.....CanDB starting to rhyme,you got to love it!
It won't be long before Johnny Law Man pops up! :cheers:

BroncoFanBoy
05-22-2013, 09:35 PM

I'm with this, but I'd prefer neither.

InElwayWeTrust
05-22-2013, 09:45 PM
If.... it.... isn't.... broke.... don't.... fix.... it.....

:doh:

Charlie Brown
05-22-2013, 10:40 PM
I go with neither an expanded playoffs nor an 18 game season.

fallforward3y+
05-22-2013, 11:45 PM
How about NEITHER.

An 18 game schedule makes no sense, it messes up the scheduling method. It is perfect, 6 divisional games, 4 versus a same conference division that your division plays, 4 versus a division in the other conference, and 2 versus the teams in the remaining 2 divisions in your conference that finished in the same place the previous year. How will they decide what the other 2 games are?

However, adding another round to the playoffs would be WAY worse. 12 teams in the playoffs is enough, having half the teams make the playoffs is too much. The part that makes it bad though, is taking away the bye week.

You can say all you want that the regular season doesn't matter, but the fact is that the regular season does and should matter.

If your the best team throughout the regular season, that should give you an advantage in the postseason. It should be easier for them to reach the Super Bowl, they earned that right. No reason a 14-2 team should have to play 3 games, equal to an 8-8 team. In the playoffs, everybody is vulnerable to an upset, however the 4 best teams should at least have 1 less game where that could happen, for fairness and to increase the chances of the best teams reaching the SB.

I like the system now, the most advantages are given to the 1-2 seeds, guaranteed a div. round game and playing at home. Obviously 3-4 seeds will have to play equal games to the 5-6 seeds, but they get to play at home. 5-6 seeds get a shot, but they have to work from the bottom. It's perfect, everyone has a shot at the Super Bowl(keeps it interesting), but the worst teams have to do the most work to get there. If your a top team, you've already accomplished more, so you get it easier in the playoffs. BUT you still have to work your way to a Super Bowl, and if you lose your out.

fallforward3y+
05-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Money, it's a gas
And make a stash

Goodell's anthem.....

Lol, indeed the truth. People like him get on my nerves, they make more money than I'd know what to do with, yet they always need more.

He's basically ruining the game just because he wants to own 50 summer homes around the world instead of 30. Being obsessed with money really does ruin a lot of good things.

nierika
05-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Id say NEITHER but if I had to choose one, 18 game reg season.

Adding teams to the playoffs will water it down like the NBA/NHL. Why do they always want to mess with something that is working well?

fallforward3y+
05-29-2013, 11:29 PM
Id say NEITHER but if I had to choose one, 18 game reg season.

Adding teams to the playoffs will water it down like the NBA/NHL. Why do they always want to mess with something that is working well?

my position as well, both bad but expanded playoffs is way worse.

roushmartin6
05-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Neither, add a farm system that plays in the spring to help develop players. NFL makes more money by adding teams to cities with no teams, franchises can loan out players for development, we get year round football. Everyone wins