PDA

View Full Version : San Fran's Crabtree Tears Achilles

Iron Clady
05-22-2013, 11:39 AM
This is a major blow to the 49ers title chances. Crabtree emerged as a stud receiver with explosive YAC ability after Kaepernick took over.

Now they're left with Boldin who didn't do that much outside of playoffs, Manningham off a torn ACL, first rounder AJ Jenkins who doesn't have a catch, and rookie Patton.

I'm skeptical that Boldin will play as well as he did in the playoffs and while I like Jenkins and Patton, they have a lot to prove.

This makes one of our biggest threats to a Super Bowl much weaker.

bronx_2003
05-22-2013, 11:41 AM
They were already thin at receiver. Huge blow if he's done for the year.

roushmartin6
05-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Had a breakout year, I feel bad for him to tear it this soon but at least he will have a full year to rehab it. Do they call Randy Moss back?

InElwayWeTrust
05-22-2013, 03:14 PM
This is a major blow to the 49ers title chances. Crabtree emerged as a stud receiver with explosive YAC ability after Kaepernick took over.

Now they're left with Boldin who didn't do that much outside of playoffs, Manningham off a torn ACL, first rounder AJ Jenkins who doesn't have a catch, and rookie Patton.

I'm skeptical that Boldin will play as well as he did in the playoffs and while I like Jenkins and Patton, they have a lot to prove.

All that, and the fact that their QB completely sucks. :P

350legend
05-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Wow! Dont ever want to see a player go down like that!

#24 Next Champ
05-22-2013, 11:33 PM

Hope you're kidding dude, Kaepernick is nice

fallforward3y+
05-22-2013, 11:59 PM

I wouldn't say MUCH weaker. He will be missed, but the Niners aren't the type of team that is done with the loss of a receiver. Boldin does not have to be a stat monster, he just has to be a good chain moving receiver, to throw to too keep the defense honest, and in unfavorable downs. Good as a 3rd and long over the middle target, or short passes as a run game. They are a running team, with a good defense. They will be a contender, Crabtree or not.

fallforward3y+
05-23-2013, 12:02 AM

Let me guess, more of the "you can't win with a running QB" stigma, right? He actually throws the ball pretty good as well. With QBs that "suck", they have been to 2 straight NFCC games, so perhaps an elite pocket QB isn't as important as you think.

InElwayWeTrust
05-23-2013, 02:21 AM
Hope you're kidding dude, Kaepernick is nice

Let me guess, more of the "you can't win with a running QB" stigma, right? He actually throws the ball pretty good as well. With QBs that "suck", they have been to 2 straight NFCC games, so perhaps an elite pocket QB isn't as important as you think.

He went to Reno, therefore he sucks.

No matter what he accomplishes, he will always suck.

Forever...

:laugh:

BroncoSexyDaddy
05-23-2013, 06:46 AM
I hope the 49ers don't sign Brandan Stokely! Elway needs to sign Stoks ASAP.

bronx_2003
05-23-2013, 10:47 AM
The Niners will still be strong............ but how strong can a team be with little offensive production. The D will have to be lights out, which they could be.

The O is a huge worry. Where are the play-makers ? Gore is good but more of a pounder then a game-breaker.

Boldin is no more then a possession receiver at best, can he be relied upon all season ?

Manningham is coming off a bad injury and is remembered more for a SB catch then consistent production.

Can AJ Jenkins make a huge leap..... he might need to.

I see three number 3 receivers.

I like Vernon Davis but he shouldn't be the number one receiver.

I like Kap, but the second year if often the most difficult for a QB, as Newton found out, the D will have proper footage of him now.

fallforward3y+
05-23-2013, 11:12 PM
The Niners will still be strong............ but how strong can a team be with little offensive production. The D will have to be lights out, which they could be.

The O is a huge worry. Where are the play-makers ? Gore is good but more of a pounder then a game-breaker.

Boldin is no more then a possession receiver at best, can he be relied upon all season ?

Manningham is coming off a bad injury and is remembered more for a SB catch then consistent production.

Can AJ Jenkins make a huge leap..... he might need to.

I see three number 3 receivers.

I like Vernon Davis but he shouldn't be the number one receiver.

I like Kap, but the second year if often the most difficult for a QB, as Newton found out, the D will have proper footage of him now.

Newton's sophomore slump was a media myth, just them making too much of his sideline demeanor. He didn't drop significantly in any category. Sophomore slumps for QBs are a myth in general, it's usually just a change in play calling or facing better defenses the next year.

As for the Niners, they don't need big play makers. They are a team that is good at methodically moving down field, and can score points that way.

Denver Mike
05-29-2013, 01:10 PM
This loss is gigantic for the 9ers.

I suppose they can bring Moss back, but I doubt. Looks like its time to call up T.O or Titus Young. :coffee:

dizzolve
05-30-2013, 09:02 AM

Not sure what you see in Boldin that makes you think he wont play as well as he did in the playoffs last year. The guy is clutch and tough -- one of my favorite 'non Bronco' players.

bronx_2003
05-30-2013, 06:24 PM
Not sure what you see in Boldin that makes you think he wont play as well as he did in the playoffs last year. The guy is clutch and tough -- one of my favorite 'non Bronco' players.

The problem is in week 5 he'll be 33, he scored 4 TD's last regular season, and he's never been the fastest of players anyway.

He works OK if there's a Torrey Smith and he can be a number 2/3, but asking him to be a number one really limits the offense IMO.

Where's the playmakers ? All I see is V Davis and he's a TE.

There's zero outside threats and while I like Gore, he's a pounder who doesn't have breakaway speed.

SF will do well, but HOW well ? The D will win some games for them but I don't think teams will be afraid to play them. They know there's a good chance they will be in the game going into the 4th quarter because SF won't just roll up 30 points.

fallforward3y+
05-31-2013, 02:59 AM
The problem is in week 5 he'll be 33, he scored 4 TD's last regular season, and he's never been the fastest of players anyway.

He works OK if there's a Torrey Smith and he can be a number 2/3, but asking him to be a number one really limits the offense IMO.

There's zero outside threats and while I like Gore, he's a pounder who doesn't have breakaway speed.

SF will do well, but HOW well ? The D will win some games for them but I don't think teams will be afraid to play them. They know there's a good chance they will be in the game going into the 4th quarter because SF won't just roll up 30 points.

Like I said, the Niners are a team that can drive methodically down field, they don't need big play threats to win.

bronx_2003
05-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Every team needs big play threats. It was noticeable that K/Nick had a great rapport with Crabtree at the end of the season and playoffs, this also freed Vernon Davis up.

Teams will go into a SF game just concentrating on stopping Davis, because no one else will hurt them, and if Davis misses any time they are truly screwed.

bears6385
06-01-2013, 03:25 PM

SF will do well, but HOW well ? The D will win some games for them but I don't think teams will be afraid to play them. They know there's a good chance they will be in the game going into the 4th quarter because SF won't just roll up 30 points.Right now I see Harbaugh taking a page out of NE's playbook and running their passing game through the TE's Davis and the rookie McDonald, while using Boldin much like the Pats were using Welker.

bronx_2003
06-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Right now I see Harbaugh taking a page out of NE's playbook and running their passing game through the TE's Davis and the rookie McDonald, while using Boldin much like the Pats were using Welker.

Yep, they might need to be creative.

I'm not saying they will turn into a poor team over night, but when your talking possible SB team (especially in a tough NFC conference) I just have my concerns about them.

K/nick going into his 2nd year, a lot of times a difficult one for QB's, teams will now have plenty of tape on him (and Wilson in Seattle). The ONLY way I see that O being good is if AJ Jenkins suddenly emerges as a legit threat, but thats more of a fan wish then a reality (i.e like JT in Denver, we HOPE he emerges, but its probably not likely).

The D is obviously top 3 in the league. I just wonder if they can beat GB with all their weapons back healthy, and N.O with Payton back.

Although for the record I'm not as high on the NFC West as some. I see it as a mediocre division that SF can win. If the 49'ers were in any of the other divisions I would have serious doubts about them.

bears6385
06-01-2013, 06:08 PM

I'm not saying they will turn into a poor team over night, but when your talking possible SB team (especially in a tough NFC conference) I just have my concerns about them.

K/nick going into his 2nd year, a lot of times a difficult one for QB's, teams will now have plenty of tape on him (and Wilson in Seattle). The ONLY way I see that O being good is if AJ Jenkins suddenly emerges as a legit threat, but thats more of a fan wish then a reality (i.e like JT in Denver, we HOPE he emerges, but its probably not likely).

The D is obviously top 3 in the league. I just wonder if they can beat GB with all their weapons back healthy, and N.O with Payton back.

Although for the record I'm not as high on the NFC West as some. I see it as a mediocre division that SF can win. If the 49'ers were in any of the other divisions I would have serious doubts about them.I would agree with what you are saying. 9ers are a damn good team...........a playoff caliber team, just not the best in the NFC even if Crabtree had not gotten hurt. Hell I don't even think they are the best in the NFCW.

fallforward3y+
06-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Every team needs big play threats. It was noticeable that K/Nick had a great rapport with Crabtree at the end of the season and playoffs, this also freed Vernon Davis up.

Teams will go into a SF game just concentrating on stopping Davis, because no one else will hurt them, and if Davis misses any time they are truly screwed.

I'm not saying they don't help, I'm saying it's not as if they are done if they don't have a big play threat, or even that they don't contend. Crabtree really took a step up as a big play threat in 2012. Back in 2011, he was a good receiver but not a monster big play threat. They went 13-3 with their defense, and an offense that methodically drove down field. They have the ability to do that, maybe better than any other team.

fallforward3y+
06-02-2013, 06:19 PM

Although for the record I'm not as high on the NFC West as some. I see it as a mediocre division that SF can win. If the 49'ers were in any of the other divisions I would have serious doubts about them.

See the 2011 playoff game, and week 1 versus Green Bay. The Niners have flipped the switch on the Pack, there was a time when the Pack owned them perhaps worse than any other team owned another, but things have changed. Back in week 1, the Niners D gave up only 15 points to GB when they were healthy(7 came from a return). Niners own the Pack now.

bronx_2003
06-03-2013, 07:55 AM
I'm not saying they don't help, I'm saying it's not as if they are done if they don't have a big play threat, or even that they don't contend. Crabtree really took a step up as a big play threat in 2012. Back in 2011, he was a good receiver but not a monster big play threat. They went 13-3 with their defense, and an offense that methodically drove down field. They have the ability to do that, maybe better than any other team.

That is a very good point, and they have a much better QB now so that could certainly happen again. I would just raise 2 concerns with that happening again.

1 - I believe the NFC is a lot stronger now then it was in 2011, especially their division. Seattle were still poor along with the other 2.

2 - They set records for - only allowing 3 rushing td's, 15 games not allowing a rushing td, allowed zero 100 yard rushers, highest TO differential, and an NFL record for most FG's attempted and made - 44/52.

That was a David Akers in his prime. Not sure an ageing Phil Dawson can hit those heights, and your asking the D to almost be record book good. Which they 'could' be but its asking a lot.

I see them winning the division but not being a top 2 seed. Winning the wildcard but losing to either GB or the Saints.

bronx_2003
06-03-2013, 07:58 AM
See the 2011 playoff game, and week 1 versus Green Bay. The Niners have flipped the switch on the Pack, there was a time when the Pack owned them perhaps worse than any other team owned another, but things have changed. Back in week 1, the Niners D gave up only 15 points to GB when they were healthy(7 came from a return). Niners own the Pack now.

Not sure 2011 is that relevant, but I'm surprised you didn't mention the SF win in the playoffs recently to back up your valid point even more. Although GB scored some points.

GB had a down year all year, they didn't seem the same. I just think if they get a few players healthy again that hurt them on D especially, and get a balance on offense which 'should' happen with Lacy and Franklin running the ball they will be a step above the 49'ers.

fallforward3y+
06-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Not sure 2011 is that relevant, but I'm surprised you didn't mention the SF win in the playoffs recently to back up your valid point even more. Although GB scored some points.

GB had a down year all year, they didn't seem the same. I just think if they get a few players healthy again that hurt them on D especially, and get a balance on offense which 'should' happen with Lacy and Franklin running the ball they will be a step above the 49'ers.

2011 is a different year, but the Saints haven't changed in a way that will make them play the Niners better.

I didn't mention the playoff game because SFO won scoring 45 points, and it was largely due to big plays, that game isn't evidence they can win with a methodical offense. Although, their defense did do much better than the score shows, since 7 points came from an int return, and another 7 came when it was basically garbage time.

You are correct in saying that it is evidence more of SF owning GB though, SFO played them twice and won handily outplaying them. GB had some injuries, but SF played them in week 1 before those happened. Plus, 15-1 seasons like the one GB had just don't happen too often, teams seem to have figured out how to play them better, with or without the weapons. Plus, Jennings is leaving them anyhow.

After watching SF play GB, I just don't think they are a big concern for them. As long as they don't downplay them, I think that's a win, NO as well.

fallforward3y+
06-03-2013, 09:52 PM
That is a very good point, and they have a much better QB now so that could certainly happen again. I would just raise 2 concerns with that happening again.

1 - I believe the NFC is a lot stronger now then it was in 2011, especially their division. Seattle were still poor along with the other 2.

2 - They set records for - only allowing 3 rushing td's, 15 games not allowing a rushing td, allowed zero 100 yard rushers, highest TO differential, and an NFL record for most FG's attempted and made - 44/52.

That was a David Akers in his prime. Not sure an ageing Phil Dawson can hit those heights, and your asking the D to almost be record book good. Which they 'could' be but its asking a lot.

I see them winning the division but not being a top 2 seed. Winning the wildcard but losing to either GB or the Saints.

The NFC is stronger, but they've also improved their team as well. One positive that may come from the injury is that it will make SFO have to be more balanced. At the end of last year, SFO got overly excited about Kap and his ability and the rapport he was having with Crabtree.

They would often go away from balance, and it hurt them at times. Particularly in the NE game, they got up 31-3 and nearly blew the lead because they continued to pass, and missed. They were acting as if they didn't have that running game, or methodical offense ability at all. They weren't moving for first downs, and the lead evaporated very quickly. Had they done so, they would have taken time off the clock and closed out the game, without having to regain the lead to win.

I think this will cause them to more effectively use their run game with Gore and James, and that run game will help the passing game and put them in good positions. Maybe an effective short passing game as well, and of course Boldin is there now. That, and their TE in Davis who is a good playmaker. I think they can still be a good methodical offense, if they are smart about it. Then when Crabtree comes back, he can contribute to the short passing game, and bring back the big play element.

Dawson is a decent kicker, he won't likely break kicking records but I think they will do fine in the kicking department. Akers had kicking issues last year and they made it to the SB, this will likely be an upgrade.

As for their defense, it may not set records like it did in '11, but their run D will be great as long as they have Bowman and Willis. An underrated part of their D is that they are able to play a "bend but don't break" defense against opponents they can't dominate, so when teams do get yards they still don't light the scoreboard up usually. Their D doesn't have a particular weakness you can exploit, it should have another great year and become one of the new consistently great Ds.

I see a good year for them.

Garfield
06-03-2013, 10:44 PM

how do you spell money player.. Boldin..

you forget they have one hell of a defense as well as running game.. one player doth not make the TEAM..

they still remain the favorite in the NFC not sure who is better..

BTW their HC is a stud..