PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Jacksonville give Tim Tebow a shot?

Dannymackk
06-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Sorry for the Tebow thread, but I was wondering why Jacksonville won't even think about giving tebow at least a back up job. It would bring more fans ( bringing more revenue ), sell jerseys, and he can't be much worse than gabbert or henne. Yes, he's not exactly "superstar quarterback" material, but with option plays and the pistol formation taking the league by storm, I believe he would be fun to watch beside MJD.

That being said, why not?

darth-hideous
06-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Sorry for the Tebow thread, but I was wondering why Jacksonville won't even think about giving tebow at least a back up job. It would bring more fans ( bringing more revenue ), sell jerseys, and he can't be much worse than gabbert or henne. Yes, he's not exactly "superstar quarterback" material, but with option plays and the pistol formation taking the league by storm, I believe he would be fun to watch beside MJD.

That being said, why not?

This is probably why, Tebow just isn't very good, as much as I wanted to see him develop into a great quarteback, I just don't see it happening. Oh..and..In before the move...

Dannymackk
06-06-2013, 12:12 AM
But why not at least a back up job? I'm positive there are plenty of back ups that don't nearly have the skills Tebow has, but they still have a spot in the NFL. And I do not believe money is an issue, he just wants to play at the NFL level. honestly, is it just the media that is behind Tebow that teams don't want?

#24 Next Champ
06-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Cuz they're stupid...There is no way I'm more comfortable with Gabbert than Tebow ...no way

Denver Mike
06-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Plain and simple..

the media circus that surrounds him. It's simply not a good move period. No team needs that kinda spotlight. I can guarantee the freak show larger than life anomaly that follows Tebow is his biggest weakness..

If he were just some under the radar guy, he'd have a job already. Because lets face it, its Tebow. The chance he doesn't develop well (which is the biggest possibility) then its career suicide for the front office.

Say he develops to a superstar? its not worth the risk. They simply don't have the coaching staff or front office to develop him.

I'd do it if I were either of the Harbaughs, or Belichick. Gives them a backup and a running threat. Wont be social suicide because their starters at QB are without question

Dannymackk
06-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Thank you for the reasonable answer. All I wanted to know.

BroncoFanDK
06-06-2013, 04:53 AM
Plain and simple..

the media circus that surrounds him. It's simply not a good move period. No team needs that kinda spotlight. I can guarantee the freak show larger than life anomaly that follows Tebow is his biggest weakness..

If he were just some under the radar guy, he'd have a job already. Because lets face it, its Tebow. The chance he doesn't develop well (which is the biggest possibility) then its career suicide for the front office.

Say he develops to a superstar? its not worth the risk. They simply don't have the coaching staff or front office to develop him.

I'd do it if I were either of the Harbaughs, or Belichick. Gives them a backup and a running threat. Wont be social suicide because their starters at QB are without question

Great Points!

The biggest issue Tebow has is his following, and the hate him/love him divide. For the ones who love one of the biggest issues is the part of those that love him for his religious side.

Tebow has done some very impressive things on the football field, but also looked really bad for long stretches. I love his drive and the impact he had on the team around him, and I think that had Kubiak been fired in 2010 and become our head coach, then I think that Tebow would have been a great player. What he did pre John Fox was quite impressive, while he helped produce magic wins while looking bad in most of 2011.

He should have been picked up, but as Denver Mike says there is a risk that he will not be able to sustain the success he had in 2011. I personally have a hard time with the praise given to players like Cam Newton/Jay Cutler.. and the like that look amazing at times - no doubt about the core physical talent but produce like Kyle Orton. Winning is about the scoreboard and when you boil it down to that Tebow thus far has proven that he can get the job done.

The issue with Tebow is that all know that there is a good chance that he might end up being a sub par QB - a sub par QB that have fans glamoring. There is to much noise coming from the religious side of his fan base to make him a shoe in. My guess is that he will go to some desperate team around week 3-5 as the magic from 2011 will be alluring to a coaching staff that are about to loose their jobs anyway.

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-06-2013, 04:59 AM
Tebow fans are crazy people.

Tebow fans came into this forum like vikings when he was drafted.

They raided this forum and took our women and ate our food.

They claim to be Broncos fans for life while still trying to integrate their Florida Gators logo with the Denver Broncos logo.

Tebow got traded and off the Tebow fans went to the Jets forums.

The TLDR version of this is: Tebow fans are cray cray along with the media attention they command. Not worth the extra jersey sales.

garzjoe
06-06-2013, 05:02 AM

They claim to be Broncos fans for life while still trying to integrate their Florida Gators logo with the Denver Broncos logo.

The TLDR version of this is: Tebow fans are cray cray along with the media attention they command.

Yeah pretty much sums it up. Also being that it's his hometown/homestate it would get super crazy. Now if they are willing to put up with that then they should give him a shot.

Thx,
Joe

ManningForLife
06-06-2013, 05:12 AM
Denver Mike hit on the money.

He created his own circus by introducing religion in every football media talk ( before the game, after the game etc ). He was just using football field to promote his belief and spread it. It is totally fine if you have won some rings but not right now.

If he was smarter, he would have started all this after winning a ring atleast. Its like dealing drama with an average girl friend. Atleast be hot, so we can deal with drama.

Having said that, its not over yet. We will see what happens.

HDbroncos02
06-06-2013, 06:45 AM
Jacksonville *sigh*.

It would be great for sales and the fan base for the Jaguars. That's it.

It is very clear that Jacksonville's FO are not going to go in that direction. Khan is a little suspect, but Caldwell (GM) and Bradley (HC) made moves that indicate they are not a fit for Tebow. IMO, the extremely awful Jaguars (I get to see them suffer every Sunday) are moving in the right direction. They just came off an excellent draft class with Joeckel, Cyprien, Gratz, and Ace Sanders. Their UDFA is pretty good too, which includes Lonnie Pryor and Matt Scott.

Another anti-Tebow reason is the structure of their offense. Go ahead, point out MJD. He would probably rush for 2,000 yards with Tebow. But then again, their young, talented WR corps would not get a chance to showcase their potential and it will hinder their development. Blackmon, Shorts, Ace Sanders, and Denard Robinson all have much, much talent and I could see them being a top 12 passing offense with a competent QB (even Kyle Orton). Look at how much DT and Decker built on their numbers with Manning. I know, it is Peyton Manning, but a decent QB would've easily put both receivers over 60 receptions.

The Jaguars will be soon reaching the point of no return. They have a good plan and would simply delete that plan with the acquisition of Tebow. They want to stay quiet and gradually build their roster and make their way up to the top, much like the Seahawks and Texans.

Tebow is good for the money, but isn't good for the football team. They'll surely have many more fans, but once they continue their losing ways, the same fans will lose their enthusiasm and then they stop supporting the Jaguars. Money will stop flowing in, blackouts become more frequent, and the team will reach a new low.

What if Tebow succeeds and sustains his success? Then football will change forever. I will always point to both losses to the Patriots. Belichick is smart, he found a way to stop Tebow and make his play on the field detrimental to our team. The fact is, teams have already adjusted. Read option, zone read, everybody has seen it and played against it by now. We played the Panthers, with their dual-threat Cam Newton. Our defense, however, contained him. Teams know by now. Even as I write this, teams will be planning, reviewing tape, making adjustments, moving personnel, etc. specifically against these offenses. While I do support Tebow as a person and enjoyed what he did here, there is obvious proof that keyed his success and also his downfall. Teams in the NFL aren't ignorant or dumb.

BroncosAreMyFavorite
06-06-2013, 06:48 AM
Honestly, he would have a better time making it on the Raiders, they have nothing at QB

bronx_2003
06-06-2013, 07:49 AM
because the Jags want to build a winning franchise.

I give full respect to the HC and owner. If they would of signed Tebow just for non-football reasons they would of become a complete joke.

I like the way they played the draft (although I probably would of taken Dion Jordan). I agree with not drafting a QB and giving Gabbert a chance.

The way they have gone about things this off-season they have given Gabbert weapons and a real chance to succeed.

If he doesn't then they can take a QB in next years draft and that QB will already have a solid group of players around him with a years experience.

I'm not a massive Gabbert fan but people give up on players too quickly. Gabbert and Ponder are entering their 3rd year, I have seen many many QB's take a massive step in year 3.

Thors Hammer
06-06-2013, 08:12 AM

The TLDR version of this is: Tebow fans are cray cray along with the media attention they command. Not worth the extra jersey sales.

Wait, we had food here???

Just like when they put out a Birthday cake or doughnuts at work, I missed out on this too.

:mad:

bronx_2003
06-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Wait, we had food here???

Just like when they put out a Birthday cake or doughnuts at work, I missed out on this too.

:mad:

Yep. I made a cake.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yGBXVdAsRYs/UA0OCYc_fJI/AAAAAAAABGs/ECOeP8CPAGQ/s1600/Screen+shot+2012-07-22+at+9.24.58+PM.png

BroncoFanDK
06-06-2013, 09:08 AM
because the Jags want to build a winning franchise.

I give full respect to the HC and owner. If they would of signed Tebow just for non-football reasons they would of become a complete joke.

I like the way they played the draft (although I probably would of taken Dion Jordan). I agree with not drafting a QB and giving Gabbert a chance.

The way they have gone about things this off-season they have given Gabbert weapons and a real chance to succeed.

If he doesn't then they can take a QB in next years draft and that QB will already have a solid group of players around him with a years experience.

I'm not a massive Gabbert fan but people give up on players too quickly. Gabbert and Ponder are entering their 3rd year, I have seen many many QB's take a massive step in year 3.

Saying that a franchise would somehow be a loosing franchise with Tebow is quite disrespectful of what he has actually done. The win rates and way the games were won was quite special - a will to win that I have not seen as strong since Elway retired.

The thing that is often disrespected with Tebow is that he actually make very few bad/negative plays. For some reason it seems that people think that Gabbert, Ponder, Cutler, Alex Smith, Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford... are allowed loosing seasons when starting out as a starter, are allowed to play badly, throw a lot of int's, loose games for their teams and people are looking for a silver lining.

Tebow on the other hand is not afforded those same considerations, even though Tebow actually did something spectacular, and turned a sorry sorry team around while winning all but one game when the opposing team scored less than 40 points (or 33 if you count 2010).

Tebow is not currently at the level of Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady but then very few QB's are. TT is insanely clutch and quite honestly had we retained BLloyd then TT's completion percentage would have been a lot higher, and it does not take a whole lot to go from the good to great. It should be a whole lot easier to fix Tebow's throws than to fix the intangibles of others.

Is it tiring to hear about his Lord and Saviour - yes for many it is - but the excitement he brought to games was the same we had with Elway back when multiple dumb plays were not the exception - back when Elway did not believe that you needed to read defenses.

7 wins in 11 starts is very solid - I would rather go 7-4 with Tebow throwing funny passes, than go 4-7 with Orton throwing things of beauty!

bronx_2003
06-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Tebow has the intangibles but not the tangibles. He can't read D's, takes far too many sacks, has a slow release, and is very inaccurate.

This is why zero teams want him right now, and when we traded him only 2 teams were interested, despite it only being a round 4/5 pick.

As many GM's have said. He would be a decent back-up, but no back-up is worth that circus he has.

and while Tebow did OK with us, it was more luck then judgement. It was a fun season, but we were limited, and you can't win consistently with Tebow, and that's why he is out the league.

BroncoFanDK
06-06-2013, 09:28 AM

What if Tebow succeeds and sustains his success? Then football will change forever. I will always point to both losses to the Patriots. Belichick is smart, he found a way to stop Tebow and make his play on the field detrimental to our team. The fact is, teams have already adjusted. Read option, zone read, everybody has seen it and played against it by now. We played the Panthers, with their dual-threat Cam Newton. Our defense, however, contained him. Teams know by now. Even as I write this, teams will be planning, reviewing tape, making adjustments, moving personnel, etc. specifically against these offenses. While I do support Tebow as a person and enjoyed what he did here, there is obvious proof that keyed his success and also his downfall. Teams in the NFL aren't ignorant or dumb.

If we go back to the factual things, Broncos scored more on Patriots in the reg season than 8 other teams did, and that was with the offense being crippled after McGahee went out. For some reason McGahee was the only RB to really produce with Tebow in the read option setting and the Patriots were under major pressure in the first game. The major indictment of Tebow was the 3-7 loss to KC. That your team looses when Tom Brady puts up 5 and 6 TDs is an incitement of that defense that won all the games for Tim Tebow.

If the opposing team scores 40+ points for whatever reason you do not win, and that happened in 4 of 5 losses with TT in 2011. Having the 26th ranked defense is not elite, though it seemed that TT and the defense were bad in the same games. As any young QB Tebow must develop - but he has objectively delivered good results from the chances he has had.

bronx_2003
06-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Football will always be about top passers.

Look at the read option. The only teams who make it work do so because they have elite passers.

Put a Tebow, Pat White, Tory Smith back there and it won't move.

If you can't pass, you can't win.

-Rod-
06-06-2013, 09:41 AM
If I had to win a game in the NFL, I'd take Tebow over Gabbert. Maybe the Jaguars want to sink or swim with Gabbert to prove he is or isn't the answer. Besides being an unconventional QB, Tebow has a learning disability. Plus, I think people in the NFL have base models and they're afraid to walk away from what they know. They'd rather have an inept pocket passer like Gabbert than an improvisational guy like Tebow, simply because - on paper - Gabbert looks like the prototype. According to several reports, Tebow will look awful during practice and the team will have to persevere and believe in the "gamer" tag.

I've seen Tebow make big throws that Gabbert will never make in his life. Also, Tebow does not panic when the bullets are flying. Gabbert is like Brady Quinn in the pocket, you can see he is uncomfortable and hasty. Tebow probably dug his own grave by embracing the excessive marketing and distractions. His name is too big for someone who is not a big time QB. Instead of being quiet and humble, he sends shock waves with his non-stop self promotion. As an NFC scout said, "he isn't a good enough QB to have all the distractions that come with him", so this is the first hurdle before a team can even consider working with an unconventional player.

ManningForLife
06-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Anyone wondered Tebow to be a RB for Broncos?.

I know this wont happen but not a bad idea at all.

bronx_2003
06-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Anyone wondered Tebow to be a RB for Broncos?.

I know this wont happen but not a bad idea at all.

I don't know why anyone brings this up for Tebow.

He is not quick enough, or shifty enough to play the position.

and if I want a short yardage back I would go for someone much bigger and stronger, who is used to carrying the ball.

and this doesn't even bring up teaching someone to block who has never done it.

atwaterandstir
06-06-2013, 10:14 AM
The real reason is the three ring circus....
The circus thats broken down into EQUAL parts. Those who love him, those who despise him and those who cant refrain from mentioning and scrutinizing his every move(media)

Hes just not a good enough QB to deal with all three loud mouth opinions.

As for playing another position, I dont agree with those who say he just cant do it. He has proven his ability to run. Its not like teams played us with the expectations of him throwing. As for the blocking aspect, hes a big strong guy who played a position that required reads. Now maybe he wasnt the best at reading wrs and DBs, but he has plenty of experience reading LBs and DEs and and what their tendencies are. To think he couldnt pick up blocking assignments is absurd IMO. Blocking has as much to do with brute force and will as anything else. Those are two of his real strengths. Now Im not saying he could be a workhorse everydown back, he just doesnt have the speed to do that-but he could certainly add value to a RB committee. This is of course if you take him on with the CLEAR understanding that is his position.

bronx_2003
06-06-2013, 10:23 AM
The real reason is the three ring circus....
The circus thats broken down into EQUAL parts. Those who love him, those who despise him and those who cant refrain from mentioning and scrutinizing his every move(media)

Hes just not a good enough QB to deal with all three loud mouth opinions.

As for playing another position, I dont agree with those who say he just cant do it. He has proven his ability to run. Its not like teams played us with the expectations of him throwing. As for the blocking aspect, hes a big strong guy who played a position that required reads. Now maybe he wasnt the best at reading wrs and DBs, but he has plenty of experience reading LBs and DEs and and what their tendencies are. To think he couldnt pick up blocking assignments is absurd IMO. Blocking has as much to do with brute force and will as anything else. Those are two of his real strengths. Now Im not saying he could be a workhorse everydown back, he just doesnt have the speed to do that-but he could certainly add value to a RB committee. This is of course if you take him on with the CLEAR understanding that is his position.

So throw him onto the Broncos roster as a RB.

Montee, Hillman, Moreno, McGahee, Tebow - Which 3 are you keeping ?

Or are you putting Tebow as a FB over Jacob Hester ?

and blocking is not just brute force, you need a good technique. Thats why every college back struggles in pass protection, even though they did it at college for 2-3 years.

Just don't see any value Tebow brings as a rb/fb.

Hester is regarded as a pretty average FB, but even he is much stronger then Tebow, has good hands, has experience running routes and has blocked for around 7-8 years (college and pro)

ManningForLife
06-06-2013, 10:33 AM
I don't know why anyone brings this up for Tebow.

He is not quick enough, or shifty enough to play the position.

and if I want a short yardage back I would go for someone much bigger and stronger, who is used to carrying the ball.

and this doesn't even bring up teaching someone to block who has never done it.

He is bigger than any other back in the Denver roster.

Steve Jackson - 240 lbs
Tim Tebow - 236 lbs

I think he is big enough for short yardage.

3'1 or 3'2, we use him not for blocking. I bet he will get us the first down.

atwaterandstir
06-06-2013, 10:38 AM
So throw him onto the Broncos roster as a RB.

Montee, Hillman, Moreno, McGahee, Tebow - Which 3 are you keeping ?

Or are you putting Tebow as a FB over Jacob Hester ?

and blocking is not just brute force, you need a good technique. Thats why every college back struggles in pass protection, even though they did it at college for 2-3 years.

Just don't see any value Tebow brings as a rb/fb.

Hester is regarded as a pretty average FB, but even he is much stronger then Tebow, has good hands, has experience running routes and has blocked for around 7-8 years (college and pro)

I dont want him on our roster....we dont need him. But other teams do need some RB help. Like SD for example.

And your right most (not every) back does struggle in pass protection however most (not all) are also not as big, strong, or durable as Tebow. Hes not a scat back learning to block, hes an extremely strong guy who has been taking and giving hits his entire career. Technique is a huge factor for the Darren Sproles(a very good blocker) type, guys like Alstott (just as an example)were not necessarily technically sound they were just a good combination. There is value to be added from a guy like Tebow, just not as a QB outside of emergency.
There is a grey area you know, you dont have to be the best or the worst at the job -just adequate....Hester is a great example.

FL BRONCO
06-06-2013, 10:45 AM
I understand the points made. But personally, I think he's better than what is their starting qb on the roster and he has certainly had more success. If you've ever been to a game in Jacksonville a good part of their upper deck is covered up cause they can't fill the seats and how they still have a team is beyond me. The home town hero coming home might be just what they need. I think a good part of those crazy fans are in that area. I understand the media circus, it sucks. But that franchise imo doesn't have a whole lot to lose their fan base is pathetic and it just keeps getting worse. That city could use a spark and one thing TT is , is fire. Like him or hate him, he brings all he has and a lot of excitement. Might do Jacksonville some good.That is the only franchise in the league that I think should take a chance on him. But like I said, He already has more success then their starter, and if nothing else he could do well or fail while they are drafting for the future. I believe he is better than their current QB . Thats not saying much but atleast he might bring some fans in.

bronx_2003
06-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Tebow as a RB/FB is madness.

All I'll say is he will never get signed as one for an NFL roster.

Unless you count that ludicrous package with the Jets where he just ran into the LOS and got stone walled.

bronx_2003
06-06-2013, 10:52 AM
I understand the points made. But personally, I think he's better than what is their starting qb on the roster and he has certainly had more success. If you've ever been to a game in Jacksonville a good part of their upper deck is covered up cause they can't fill the seats and how they still have a team is beyond me. The home town hero coming home might be just what they need. I think a good part of those crazy fans are in that area. I understand the media circus, it sucks. But that franchise imo doesn't have a whole lot to lose their fan base is pathetic and it just keeps getting worse. That city could use a spark and one thing TT is , is fire. Like him or hate him, he brings all he has and a lot of excitement. Might do Jacksonville some good.That is the only franchise in the league that I think should take a chance on him. But like I said, He already has more success then their starter, and if nothing else he could do well or fail while they are drafting for the future. I believe he is better than their current QB . Thats not saying much but atleast he might bring some fans in.

Do you want to build a winning franchise or get an extra 20,000 people through the gates.

atwaterandstir
06-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Tebow as a RB/FB is madness.

All I'll say is he will never get signed as one for an NFL roster.

Unless you count that ludicrous package with the Jets where he just ran into the LOS and got stone walled.

You mean the same play that was telegraphed throughout the season? How about the times in Denver where he was asked to run outside the tackles?
Tebows time in NY is meaningless, because he wasnt asked to do anything. Tebows time in Denver is far more telling. And the stint in Denver showed he is capable of running and hes inadequate as a passer. His blocking ability is the unknown, his pass catching ability is the unknown. Yet you seem certain the guy just cant do it.
To me, Im not so certain- Maybe one day we will see.......

Again no one is suggesting he be your everydown back, or FB. That is just the assumption people make, I see his value in a commitee, on ST, and as emergency QB.

Broncoholic3233
06-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Well, this is a tricky subject. Let me see if I can figure out a way to say this.

Tebow sucks.

Oh, yup, that about sums it up.

bronx_2003
06-06-2013, 11:11 AM
You mean the same play that was telegraphed throughout the season? How about the times in Denver where he was asked to run outside the tackles?
Tebows time in NY is meaningless, because he wasnt asked to do anything. Tebows time in Denver is far more telling. And the stint in Denver showed he is capable of running and hes inadequate as a passer. His blocking ability is the unknown, his pass catching ability is the unknown. Yet you seem certain the guy just cant do it.
To me, Im not so certain- Maybe one day we will see.......

Again no one is suggesting he be your everydown back, or FB. That is just the assumption people make, I see his value in a commitee, on ST, and as emergency QB.

If his name wasn't Tebow he would be another journeyman IMO, he is lucky to have played as much as he has done.

His catching and blocking is unknown because he has never done it. So you would probably stash his on the PS for a year or 2 so he could learn from scratch.

Running the ball as a QB is not the same as a RB. He doesn't have speed to take it to the outside so he would have to run inside most of the time, I just can't see him having the footwork or shiftyness to make it work much.

Plus the year he played 10/11 games he had 13 fumbles. You really want to give him another 100 carries when he struggles protecting the ball as a QB.

Jamarcus Russell is bigger then Tebow and about the same speed. Would you ask him to learn blocking, route running and catching and have him as a RB/FB ? :)

Joshua2585
06-06-2013, 11:16 AM
He wouldn't/couldn't be a backup for anyone outside of a Brady/Manning/Rodgers caliber QB. The media circus is too much... which means he would have to start in Jacksonville.

The Jacksonville franchise has and embraces their losing tradition... and doesn't want to threaten that. Tebow would come in and immediately make that team more dangerous. Would they win their division? Would they be super bowl contenders? No, probably not. They would definitely win some games, cause teams trouble, and be a lot more fun to watch at the same time.

bronx_2003
06-06-2013, 11:23 AM
He wouldn't/couldn't be a backup for anyone outside of a Brady/Manning/Rodgers caliber QB. The media circus is too much... which means he would have to start in Jacksonville.

The Jacksonville franchise has and embraces their losing tradition... and doesn't want to threaten that. Tebow would come in and immediately make that team more dangerous. Would they win their division? Would they be super bowl contenders? No, probably not. They would definitely win some games, cause teams trouble, and be a lot more fun to watch at the same time.

The Jags had a brilliant draft and are putting together a good roster.

They will play Gabbert this year, his third, and see if he can make it. If he can't they will draft one next year.

They are looking for a franchise QB. A Tebow team would be limited and would never compete for a SB.

atwaterandstir
06-06-2013, 11:29 AM
If his name wasn't Tebow he would be another journeyman IMO, he is lucky to have played as much as he has done.

His catching and blocking is unknown because he has never done it. So you would probably stash his on the PS for a year or 2 so he could learn from scratch.

Running the ball as a QB is not the same as a RB. He doesn't have speed to take it to the outside so he would have to run inside most of the time, I just can't see him having the footwork or shiftyness to make it work much.

Plus the year he played 10/11 games he had 13 fumbles. You really want to give him another 100 carries when he struggles protecting the ball as a QB.

Jamarcus Russell is bigger then Tebow and about the same speed. Would you ask him to learn blocking, route running and catching and have him as a RB/FB ? :)

Couple of things...
Whats wrong with being a journeyman? Thats all anybody is suggesting he might become.....a serviceable journeyman. Dont take it as if people are suggesting you build your offense around him as a starting RB, FB, or TE. Just as a football player who can play many roles if asked including QB. There is a real value in that.

The 100 carries is nothing anybody has mentioned, Im not sure where your getting so confused in the role people (me at least) are implying he would play. In a FB/HB hybrid reserve role (like suggested) he wouldnt see the ball as much.

And yes, if Jamarcus Russel had the drive and will of Tim Tebow I would give him a SHOT at another position. That doesnt mean I would base my team around him like you seem to think is the only option with Tebow. Hell Russel is getting another shot at QB as a lazy and uninspired QB just because he has a big arm and is somewhat mobile. The problem lies in the comparison...You are comparing a guy with no drive to a guy with a ton of drive.

bronx_2003
06-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Couple of things...
Whats wrong with being a journeyman? Thats all anybody is suggesting he might become.....a serviceable journeyman. Dont take it as if people are suggesting you build your offense around him as a starting RB, FB, or TE. Just as a football player who can play many roles if asked including QB. There is a real value in that.

The 100 carries is nothing anybody has mentioned, Im not sure where your getting so confused in the role people (me at least) are implying he would play. In a FB/HB hybrid reserve role (like suggested) he wouldnt see the ball as much.

And if yes if Jamarcus Russel had the drive and will of Tim Tebow I would give him a SHOT at another position. Hell, hes getting another shot at QB as a lazy and uninspired QB just because he has a big arm and is somewhat mobile. The problem lies in the comparison...You are comparing a guy with no drive to a guy with a ton of drive.

1 - He could be a journeyman back-up QB, IF his name wasn't Tebow and you didn't get the media circus.

100 carries a season is around 6 carries a game, if he was a RB, even short yardage he would be having around that many carries.

Russell and Tebow as rb's................maybe if being a RB was just about size.

Russell is getting another shot because he has talent as a QB, and has franchise QB ability.

Bronco51
06-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Tebow has proven that he can't earn starting jobs. He is given them after absolutely horrid play by the actual starter. No team willingly wants to hand the reigns over to that type of player. I would question any teams front office if they felt Tebow was the answer at QB. Even the lowly Jaguars. And we all know that any team that brings him in will have to answer the when is he starting question. Not worth the hassle.

atwaterandstir
06-06-2013, 11:55 AM
1 - He could be a journeyman back-up QB, IF his name wasn't Tebow and you didn't get the media circus.

100 carries a season is around 6 carries a game, if he was a RB, even short yardage he would be having around that many carries.

Russell and Tebow as rb's................maybe if being a RB was just about size.

Russell is getting another shot because he has talent as a QB, and has franchise QB ability.

Russell at rb is an absurd notion...a notion only you have eluded to. Tebow can run the ball, we have seen it.

atwaterandstir
06-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Tebow has proven that he can't earn starting jobs. He is given them after absolutely horrid play by the actual starter. No team willingly wants to hand the reigns over to that type of player. I would question any teams front office if they felt Tebow was the answer at QB. Even the lowly Jaguars. And we all know that any team that brings him in will have to answer the when is he starting question. Not worth the hassle.
your absolutely right he is not cut out to be a starter. and your also correct that the rumblings would inevitably happen on a bad team (jags, browns, etc) but that wouldn't happen if he were backing up young mobile qbs like Kapernick , Wilson, Rg3 etc.
If your a bad team looking for a new qb, Tebow is not your guy.

FL BRONCO
06-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Do you want to build a winning franchise or get an extra 20,000 people through the gates.

If they had a better alternative currently at qb I wouldn't suggest this. But really the fan base is bad there. I once went to a Bronco game their and the night before the game on the big screen across the water from stadium they were paying more attention to tennis highlights then their team. I think Tebow already gives them a better chance then there current qb, and he would breath some much needed life into that fan base immediatley. You could continue to draft for the future and if he fell on his face then so be it and if he did well then great but in the mean time you gain some interest from a fan base and generate excitement and Timmy gets his shot. If you have ever been to Jacksonville you would know what I mean. That town would go crazy. And again I only suggest it because I believe TT is already a better option then BG (by far). He wouldn't play scared and he can make plays and make it exciting. He is a good leader who carries a lot of respect and will give all he has. I think that is several steps above what they have there now. But just my opinion. You can still draft and build a winner plus fill the stadium. He is already an upgrade on what you got.

fallforward3y+
06-06-2013, 05:56 PM
I was pretty surprised myself. If he belongs anywhere it's Jacksonville. I know he's not a great passer, but elite pocket passers aren't all over the market.

Compare what they have...Tebow-sucky passing QB that can run Gabbert-sucky passing QB that can't...Tebow-under pressure runs around, may get sacked may make a big play...Gabbert-under pressure backs up and is inept.

Basically, you have a QB that is a bad conventional QB but can bring something else to the table, versus a bad conventional QB that can't. Someone who atleast has a chance of making plays, versus someone who is inept who you pretty much know will get you nowhere(barring miraculous development).

I remember Mercedes Lewis saying we need a QB who can be great now, obviously thinking of an elite passer. BUT your not going to get that this year. At 2-14, you can't get much worse so try an experiment. They have the tools, being a running team with MJD to sign Tebow and have Tebow add an element to the running game. They could be a run heavy team, and have Tebow make a few big plays with his arm a game. That, and his good GW drive ability. It could work very well, as long as their defense doesn't completely melt. But, nobody wins with a defense that does that.

I am against signing a player just to bring in fans, but I'm surprised Jacksonville didn't do it because their games constantly black out, as the league's least popular franchise.

fallforward3y+
06-06-2013, 05:59 PM
If they had a better alternative currently at qb I wouldn't suggest this. But really the fan base is bad there. I once went to a Bronco game their and the night before the game on the big screen across the water from stadium they were paying more attention to tennis highlights then their team. I think Tebow already gives them a better chance then there current qb, and he would breath some much needed life into that fan base immediatley. You could continue to draft for the future and if he fell on his face then so be it and if he did well then great but in the mean time you gain some interest from a fan base and generate excitement and Timmy gets his shot. If you have ever been to Jacksonville you would know what I mean. That town would go crazy. And again I only suggest it because I believe TT is already a better option then BG (by far). He wouldn't play scared and he can make plays and make it exciting. He is a good leader who carries a lot of respect and will give all he has. I think that is several steps above what they have there now. But just my opinion. You can still draft and build a winner plus fill the stadium. He is already an upgrade on what you got.

Great post, exactly what I was saying. Tebow atleast can make some big plays under pressure, and contribute to the run game. That, and the game winning drive ability. Gabbert, just plain sucks as of now. It's not as if they have a better option, or are screwing any kind of future by benching Gabbert. I never say never with a player's development, but we've seen nothing to indicate he will become good.

HDbroncos02
06-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Winning = more fans.

How quickly do you think Jacksonville's fan base will disappear when Tebow suffers on an inexperienced, low tier team? Jacksonville may have Tebow, but is it worth losing?

Let's be real here. Does Tebow have a better chance winning a football game with the Broncos, or the Jaguars? The obvious answer is the Broncos.

Some of you are contending that Tebow could actually win MORE games for the Jaguars. The Jaguars. Their offensive line isn't fully developed and they're inexperienced. Their defense was downright terrible last season. Do you seriously think that they can keep their team in the game long enough for a Tebow-led Jaguars offense to win the game? Their starting cornerbacks consist of a second-year 6th round pick who was largely inconsistent and a 3rd round pick this year who, IMO, has potential but struggled against top competition. Their safeties aret much better. With one of the worst pass-rushing teams to help an inexperienced secondary, how DO you expect Tebow to single-handedly win games? Sure he has MJD, but he struggled with injuries and other issues last year.

Also, some of you say that Tebow over Gabbert would win more games too. While that may be the case, look where Henne took the Jaguars. Once Henne took over, the passing offense significantly improved and the talents of the Jaguars' receivers stood out. Cecil Shorts III was a dangerous vertical threat waiting to happen. Blackmon was the best rookie receiver in the NFL. If Jacksonville don't use those talents, they won't be a successful offense. Shorts won the Indianapolis game for Jacksonville. Look at when MJD went down. The Jaguars' rushing attack sucked. Jennings disappointed, and they had to resort to backs named Montell Owens, Keith Toston, Jalen Parmele, and others. If Tebow has to play alongside those RBs in the option offense, he would never be successful because teams would know that he would have the ball every time.

Losing = less fans.

samparnell
06-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Tim should play in Canada.

Denver Mike
06-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Tim should play in Canada.

He'd be BEAST in the lingerie football league ;)

Denver Mike
06-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Hey check this link out literally a day or two after our thread...

NFL you stole the words right outta my fingers ya creeps

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210311/article/tim-tebow-has-pittsburgh-steelers-who-believe-in-him

Since his release by the New York Jets in late April, Tim Tebow has fielded offers from Ron Jaworski's Philadelphia Soul as well as the Omaha Beef, an indoor football team based in Nebraska.

Tebow hasn't drawn a whiff of interest from NFL teams, which has led to speculation that the media circus might be driving him out of the league. While unnamed scouts line up to point out his deficiencies as a passer, it has become increasingly rare to find anyone associated with the NFL willing to acknowledge that Tebow can succeed even as a backup quarterback.

A year and a half removed from their playoff exit at the hand of Tebow, the Pittsburgh Steelers still believe.

"Why not? Tebow, just from what I see, is an awesome guy and a talent," Steelers linebacker Larry Foote told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Joe Starkey. "He won some games, had some success. We know it first-hand. I think he should be somewhere at least competing for a job. I think he's earned that."

Defensive end Brett Keisel similarly believes Tebow will "get another shot." Backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski is a "little surprised" the polarizing quarterback can't find an NFL job with a resume that includes a winning record as an NFL starter.

Count Foote among those who believe Tebow already would have an NFL home if it wasn't for the surrounding media crush.

"You guys are the reason he's not in the league," an admonishing Foote told Starkey. "It's your fault."

samparnell
06-08-2013, 07:58 PM
He'd be BEAST in the lingerie football league ;)

Those women actually play pretty hard. Women's football may happen. Coached a couple of HS powder puff teams. It's like releasing the Furies from the Ninth Circle of Hell. :eek:

broncos SB2010
06-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Cuz they're stupid...There is no way I'm more comfortable with Gabbert than Tebow ...no way

I posted this in a different thread but reposting here...This is why:

When the Broncos defense was on the field, offensive coaches would often tell Tebow the first series of plays they wanted to run when the team got the ball back. Tebow would nod, and they'd separate. And then, invariably, a short while later he'd ask for the information again. Sometimes this ritual would repeat right up until Tebow had to duck into the huddle and call the play. As a result, despite starting only 11 games in 2011, Tebow was flagged for delay of game an NFL-high seven times. Worse still was the fact that, according to scouts, Tebow almost never audibled because he struggled to quickly and properly read defenses. And of all the deadly sins Tebow committed against quarterbacking, this was the worst: lacking the self-awareness to recognize and fix these shortcomings. Maybe the most shocking part of Tebowmania isn't that he has been cast out of the NFL after just three years but that he lasted as long as he did.

broncos SB2010
06-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Saying that a franchise would somehow be a loosing franchise with Tebow is quite disrespectful of what he has actually done. The win rates and way the games were won was quite special - a will to win that I have not seen as strong since Elway retired.

The thing that is often disrespected with Tebow is that he actually make very few bad/negative plays. For some reason it seems that people think that Gabbert, Ponder, Cutler, Alex Smith, Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford... are allowed loosing seasons when starting out as a starter, are allowed to play badly, throw a lot of int's, loose games for their teams and people are looking for a silver lining.

Tebow on the other hand is not afforded those same considerations, even though Tebow actually did something spectacular, and turned a sorry sorry team around while winning all but one game when the opposing team scored less than 40 points (or 33 if you count 2010).

Tebow is not currently at the level of Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady but then very few QB's are. TT is insanely clutch and quite honestly had we retained BLloyd then TT's completion percentage would have been a lot higher, and it does not take a whole lot to go from the good to great. It should be a whole lot easier to fix Tebow's throws than to fix the intangibles of others.

Is it tiring to hear about his Lord and Saviour - yes for many it is - but the excitement he brought to games was the same we had with Elway back when multiple dumb plays were not the exception - back when Elway did not believe that you needed to read defenses.

7 wins in 11 starts is very solid - I would rather go 7-4 with Tebow throwing funny passes, than go 4-7 with Orton throwing things of beauty!

You don't call incompletions or delay of game penalty a bad/negative play? Many of his intangibles are also very low. Read my post above for more info on that.

BroncoFanDK
06-09-2013, 02:31 PM
You don't call incompletions or delay of game penalty a bad/negative play? Many of his intangibles are also very low. Read my post above for more info on that.

No incompletions are not negative plays. I much prefer Tebow's dirt balls to Cutlers passes into triple coverage. Tebow might be dyslexic as the article that you have copied from claims, but the kind of support he had on the Broncos is earned. Chanp Bailey, Dawkins, Von Miller and Eric Decker do not seem to be the kind of guys that would follow him for no reason.

You obviously have an ax to grind, but that does not negate that Tebow transformed our lousy team that at the start of 2011 was even worse than in 2010 when we had all the injuries, and did something not done before in NFL history. Fact is he did have a high degree of success, and he was the catalyst for the change in drive and attitude.

Tebow is a young QB who has had more success than most QB's in the league. Call it luck, divine intervention etc, but the facts support that he is a better than average NFL QB. Opinions not factual achievements drag him down, and his championship credentials are very promising for anyone that signs him!

#24 Next Champ
06-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Tebow to Jax would be great for the NFL and at least give them a damn storyline besides "Gabbert sucks, MJD isn't healthy, and they're all prolly moving this joke to London, which is just awful"

Team should absolutely go get and start Tebow ...completely stupid not to

But I understand how that coach has HIS CAREER on the line and wants to at least give his scheme a chance and doesn't wanna do a Tebow scheme, but that's the owner's dumb mistake for not bringing in a coach who was for that

And the dude took helped take a 1-4 team to the playoffs and beat the Steelers in the playoffs...he is not as bad as ppl act, if he was that wouldn't have happened ...Tebow does bring an energy and almost magic to every game

atwaterandstir
06-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Tebow to Jax would be great for the NFL and at least give them a damn storyline besides "Gabbert sucks, MJD isn't healthy, and they're all prolly moving this joke to London, which is just awful"

Team should absolutely go get and start Tebow ...completely stupid not to

But I understand how that coach has HIS CAREER on the line and wants to at least give his scheme a chance and doesn't wanna do a Tebow scheme, but that's the owner's dumb mistake for not bringing in a coach who was for that

And the dude took helped take a 1-4 team to the playoffs and beat the Steelers in the playoffs...he is not as bad as ppl act, if he was that wouldn't have happened ...Tebow does bring an energy and almost magic to every game

The team has no real direction and not much leadership.....I actually believe a main reason Tebow wouldn't go there is because that team is positioning for relocation. Having Tebow energize a fan base is bad for the move. The team is not in position to do anything for the next couple of drafts at least, signing Tebow doesn't effect their success or failure in the slightest bit. What it would do is gain some attention, I don't think they(league/owner) really want that, I expect them to float off to London in 3 years or less.

I don't think Tebow is the guy you want running your team, however that specific team doesn't have many better options. Personally I think Tebow has a place in the league, however I think his place is backing up a young mobile QB. (Kap, Wilson, RG3, Newton etc) and being used in goal line and short yardage situations. Like him or hate him, he has proven he can help move the chains.

BroncoFanNC
06-09-2013, 06:57 PM
The team has no real direction and not much leadership.....I actually believe a main reason Tebow wouldn't go there is because that team is positioning for relocation. Having Tebow energize a fan base is bad for the move. The team is not in position to do anything for the next couple of drafts at least, signing Tebow doesn't effect their success or failure in the slightest bit. What it would do is gain some attention, I don't think they(league/owner) really want that, I expect them to float off to London in 3 years or less.

I don't think Tebow is the guy you want running your team, however that specific team doesn't have many better options. Personally I think Tebow has a place in the league, however I think his place is backing up a young mobile QB. (Kap, Wilson, RG3, Newton etc) and being used in goal line and short yardage situations. Like him or hate him, he has proven he can help move the chains.

Seattle just signed Quinn this year, 49'ers traded for McCoy to be Kaeps backup, RG3 has Foles who has shown to be able to win in spot duty, and Newton has Anderson who has been backing him up for 2 years.

He will not wrestle a backup spot from any of those guys, especially in practice (already behind missing OTAs), so at best he would be QB3 on some roster and would likely never see the field anyway.

atwaterandstir
06-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Seattle just signed Quinn this year, 49'ers traded for McCoy to be Kaeps backup, RG3 has Foles who has shown to be able to win in spot duty, and Newton has Anderson who has been backing him up for 2 years.

He will not wrestle a backup spot from any of those guys, especially in practice (already behind missing OTAs), so at best he would be QB3 on some roster and would likely never see the field anyway.

I wasn't necessarily talking about this year....or even those guys in particular- those guys were only mentioned mostly because they are young QBs fully entrenched as starters and also have packages that utilize their mobility. I was eluding more so just the type of back-up role I feel he could play. It would be a nightmare if he were in Cleveland or Tenn for example.
Personally I don't see anybody taking him on this year, but I think he will get another shot at some point.

broncos SB2010
06-09-2013, 08:32 PM
No incompletions are not negative plays. I much prefer Tebow's dirt balls to Cutlers passes into triple coverage. Tebow might be dyslexic as the article that you have copied from claims, but the kind of support he had on the Broncos is earned. Chanp Bailey, Dawkins, Von Miller and Eric Decker do not seem to be the kind of guys that would follow him for no reason.

You obviously have an ax to grind, but that does not negate that Tebow transformed our lousy team that at the start of 2011 was even worse than in 2010 when we had all the injuries, and did something not done before in NFL history. Fact is he did have a high degree of success, and he was the catalyst for the change in drive and attitude.

Tebow is a young QB who has had more success than most QB's in the league. Call it luck, divine intervention etc, but the facts support that he is a better than average NFL QB. Opinions not factual achievements drag him down, and his championship credentials are very promising for anyone that signs him!

You're funny :) better than average qb and promising credentials. Thats a riot!!!

theMileHighGuy
06-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Those women actually play pretty hard. Women's football may happen. Coached a couple of HS powder puff teams. It's like releasing the Furies from the Ninth Circle of Hell. :eek:

Man, our powder puff games were BRUTAL. Who knew women were so eager for a forum where they could hit each other :laugh:

bronx_2003
06-10-2013, 09:32 AM
Lets be real. If we are Jags fans (and not just Tebow one's) then I would want exactly what they have done.

Build the roster with a good draft. Give Gabbert this year, his third, to see how he does. Everyone knew coming from that offense in Missouri it would be a learning curve, and see how he does.

If he is poor then draft a proper QB next year.

The Jags have good weapons, they won't waste then for a QB like Tebow.... just to get some 'excitement' in the fan base, or an extra 20 thousand fans in the stadium.

atwaterandstir
06-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Lets be real. If we are Jags fans (and not just Tebow one's) then I would want exactly what they have done.

Build the roster with a good draft. Give Gabbert this year, his third, to see how he does. Everyone knew coming from that offense in Missouri it would be a learning curve, and see how he does.

If he is poor then draft a proper QB next year.

The Jags have good weapons, they won't waste then for a QB like Tebow.... just to get some 'excitement' in the fan base, or an extra 20 thousand fans in the stadium.

"Exactly what they have done"......what is that exactly? They have the worst roster in the league and their own GM has said its going to be a long and slow decade of rebuilding. How would Tebow hinder the direction they are (admittedly) entrenched in? Nobody is saying you build your team around Tebows success or failure, but if you build your team around his strengths and weaknesses, you are setting up your franchise guy(whoever/ whenever he becomes available) to step into a successful situation. (I.e strong run game, good defense, good line).
With Gabbert they keep hoping.....maybe it will be Blackmon, maybe Cecil Shorts, now maybe Denard Robinson and Ace Sanders can get him over the hump. They should have focused on oline, d line, lb and secondary in no particular order. Spend a couple drafts doing that and your decade long rebuild time gets cut much shorter. Instead they think, maybe just maybe another weapon will help him turn the corner. Replace what we lost, and hope the newest weapon will improve Gabbert.

You say give Gabbert this season- his third to see how he does. Why is it sooo far out of the realm to do the same(develop) for Tebow? Tebow might no be the greatest passer in the league, but he is capable. We have seen it.
Is he consistant? Not even close, but hes also been in the league 3 seasons with 3 head coaches. Personally I dont think he will ever be a starting caliber QB, but the next team that takes him and says this is your defined role will be his first.

If I was a Jaguars fan and my GM said its going to be a long slow decade long rebuild, then I would be all for Tebow. Again, Im not banking on Tebow to be my franchise QB, but like I said you improve your team and you set yourself up for a "franchise type". Adding more skill players to a team with an average oline, a poor dline, a poor group of lbs and a secondary who has lost some key figures is not helping the team in the slightest.

bronx_2003
06-10-2013, 02:34 PM
We, and the owner, know the Jags are rebuilding and it will take time. I think they had a good draft which is step one.

I don't see the point of bringing Tebow in. He is a flawed QB with a slow release and he struggles to read D's. The receivers they have would have their development stunted, and the Jags would go no where.

Gabbert showed the tools needed to win in college and in the pre-draft process. His problem is pocket awareness. I'm not saying he will succeed but he has a chance.

Its not even about Gabbert, I just don't see the point in bringing Tebow in. I don't rate him and even though he has had numerous quality QB coaches work with him he still looks a million miles off of being an NFL QB.

atwaterandstir
06-10-2013, 02:37 PM
We, and the owner, know the Jags are rebuilding and it will take time. I think they had a good draft which is step one.

I don't see the point of bringing Tebow in. He is a flawed QB with a slow release and he struggles to read D's. The receivers they have would have their development stunted, and the Jags would go no where.

Gabbert showed the tools needed to win in college and in the pre-draft process. His problem is pocket awareness. I'm not saying he will succeed but he has a chance.

Its not even about Gabbert, I just don't see the point in bringing Tebow in. I don't rate him and even though he has had numerous quality QB coaches work with him he still looks a million miles off of being an NFL QB.

I guess it doesn't matter now....... He a Patriot.
One of the few teams that wont be intimidated by his popularity.

bronx_2003
06-10-2013, 03:06 PM
I guess it doesn't matter now....... He a Patriot.
One of the few teams that wont be intimidated by his popularity.

Bit of a surprise, but like it say's on nfl.com they are just kicking the tyres with a veteran, which they do.

I would be stunned if Tebow makes a 53 man roster.

atwaterandstir
06-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Bit of a surprise, but like it say's on nfl.com they are just kicking the tyres with a veteran, which they do.

I would be stunned if Tebow makes a 53 man roster.

Oh hes a lock to make that roster IMO. The Pats are clever with their personnel, Aaron Hernandez is often used in the backfield in certain looks. Having Tebow allows them to continue to run those odd looks from the backfield without risking an asset like Hernandez. Having Tebow, Hernandez, Edelman, Gronk and Amendola on the field gives Brady sooo many options to audible into.
Im also quite certain Tebow will be used as a decoy on many plays as well.

Denver Mike
06-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Plain and simple..

I'm good. Darn good