PDA

View Full Version : Too quick to write Oakland off for the West ? They are looking scary !

bronx_2003
06-12-2013, 12:11 PM
As in don't let your kids watch :D

From NFL.com

We try not to overreact to offseason practice evaluations. After all, as Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said, it's just "football in shorts." But sometimes we see practice reports that we just can't ignore.

Tuesday in Oakland was one of those days. The Raiders quarterbacks are not capable of performing basic tasks at this stage, according to various reporters present for the Raiders' first day of minicamp.

From Steve Corkran of the Oakland Tribune: "In 19 years covering the NFL, today's showing by Matt Flynn, Tyler Wilson, Terrelle Pryor and Matt McGloin rates as one of the worst in memory."

An Associated Press reporter started an article with what he saw out of the Raiders' passing game: "Batted balls. Wounded ducks. Interceptions. Passes into the turf."

From the San Francisco Chronicle: "It was the opening of duck season, er, the Raiders three-day minicamp, on Tuesday as the team's top three quarterbacks picked up where they left off in the team's organized workouts the last month."

And ...

"On two straight throws, starter Matt Flynn lobbed two wounded ducks downfield -- and they were the plays of the day," Vic Tafur wrote.

It appeared the quarterbacks struggled equally, although the practice reports about Pryor were particularly negative. He had four passes batted down on Tuesday alone. Flynn said all the batted balls were "nerve-wracking."

The Raiders are professing patience publicly because they have to. "I don't allow that to frustrate me," coach Dennis Allen said. "I understand where we're at in the season."

It sounds like what we heard from the Raiders' offseason practices a year ago.

theMileHighGuy
06-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Ouch. Lol. Still might give the Bolts a run for their money for last place.

HUMCALC
06-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Yeah I think I'd be more afraid of their fans, than that team

bronx_2003
06-12-2013, 12:21 PM
This was my favorite bit - The Raiders quarterbacks are not capable of performing basic tasks at this stage

That could probably apply to any position :)

beastlyskronk
06-12-2013, 12:27 PM
They still have Darren McFadden, if he's healthy it doesn't matter who's at QB, they'll be fine.

theMileHighGuy
06-12-2013, 12:30 PM
They still have Darren McFadden, if he's healthy it doesn't matter who's at QB, they'll be fine.

With as much as they'll have to rely on him he won't hold up.

bronx_2003
06-12-2013, 12:33 PM

Are you suggesting Darren McFadden could get banged up this season ? Surely not.

beastlyskronk
06-12-2013, 12:37 PM

Idk I have a feeling he'll be able to stay healthy this season and land himself a huge contract

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Brink back the wishbone formation! :D

bronx_2003
06-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Idk I have a feeling he'll be able to stay healthy this season and land himself a huge contract

Thats a very big if, but hopefully. He is, IMO, the second best back in the league when fully healthy.

HUMCALC
06-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Thats a very big if, but hopefully. He is, IMO, the second best back in the league when fully healthy.

Why would you say that? He's had ONE solid season since he came into the league back in 2008. He's very versatile, I'll give you that, but that's all he has going for him

bronx_2003
06-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Why would you say that? He's had ONE solid season since he came into the league back in 2008. He's very versatile, I'll give you that, but that's all he has going for him

I'm not saying I would rank him the second best back, because he's had far too many injuries.

but when he is fully fit, normally for a few games at the start of each year, I think he runs better then any back not named AP. His power and speed are a top combination.

HUMCALC
06-12-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm not saying I would rank him the second best back, because he's had far too many injuries.

but when he is fully fit, normally for a few games at the start of each year, I think he runs better then any back not named AP. His power and speed are a top combination.

I see what you're saying, but last year Doug Martin showed those same qualities

bronx_2003
06-12-2013, 01:07 PM
I see what you're saying, but last year Doug Martin showed those same qualities

Yep, I like him and he looked really good.

I don't think he quite had the same level of power or speed as McFadden, but thats to be expected as a rookie. He could make another jump this season and really turn it on.