PDA

View Full Version : Packers might release Desmond Bishop

IHaveBRONC-itus
06-12-2013, 04:58 AM
Is he someone we look at for LB? What would he present as better than we have at MLB? ILB? OLB? Thoughts?

crash123go
06-12-2013, 06:25 AM
Maybe a backup at MLB but I don't see us needing even a backup. Irving is going to be a stud and we have quality backups.

One thing I noticed after rewatching last years games was Irving got in some good snaps on 3rd downs and in some of our lite base 4-3 sets at strong side linebacker. He played well when he was on the field and showed some good instincts so I really think we are set at MLB

Houshmazode
06-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Desmond Bishop, Green Bay Packers near parting ways

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: June 11, 2013 at 11:03 p.m.
Updated: June 12, 2013 at 11:45 a.m.

Way back during the 2013 NFL Draft, NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah and Ian Rapoport reported that the Green Bay Packers were shopping inside linebacker Desmond Bishop.

Rapoport reported Tuesday night that the Packers are close to exhausting their options as far as trading Bishop or negotiating a pay cut. If that happens, they'll almost certainly release him. ESPNMilwaukee.com's Jason Wilde first reported Bishop's likely release.

The Packers are willing to cut bait with Bishop because they are deep at inside linebacker and he is due $3.464 million while coming off a ruptured hamstring injury. Bishop hasn't been able to participate in organized team activities, and it's fair to wonder if the Packers just don't believe he can be fully healthy this season.

Even if he's banged up, Bishop should be able to attract interest. He's just 28 years old and has shown flashes of being a difference-making inside linebacker. That's why the Packers handed him a four-year, $19 million contract in the first place.
Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

Maybe we could grab him to improve our depth at ILB and see if he can get healthy. No way he's going to go anywhere for cheap though.

bears6385
06-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Bishop's best fit may be the Vikings who have not replaced Brinkly yet.

FL BRONCO
06-16-2013, 09:14 AM
We could actually release Mays, pick him up and save money plus provide veteran depth at LB. Hmmm, I like who we already have but that would definitely be an interesting proposition. If he could get healthy again, veteran depth is not a bad idea.

TheGregmeister
06-17-2013, 12:28 PM
So the Packers will release Bishop. Thoughts?

I personally think he would be a decent fit at MLB, which is our only hole in the team pretty much.

HDbroncos02
06-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Wrong section, man. But welcome to the boards!

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Bishop in. I, however, think that we should still give Nate Irving a legitimate shot at MLB with Steven Johnson and Stewart Bradley backing him up.

Bootleg
06-17-2013, 12:46 PM
I remember he was developing into a top level MLB before his injury. Worth a look, definitely.

crash123go
06-17-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't think he's needed. Irving made a impact last year when he got on the field and will do the same this year as our starting MLB. They have committed to him as the starter

FL BRONCO
06-17-2013, 02:50 PM
He has officially been cut

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000212776/article/desmond-bishop-released-by-packers-will-visit-vikings

JaysusCutler
06-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Expecting him to sign with Minnesota. He's a hell of a talent though.

bears6385
06-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Bishop is in KC today...........could be a good fit.