PDA

View Full Version : Broncos threatened by Chargers for division title?

Denver Mike
06-18-2013, 10:22 PM
First off. I'm sorry of this is in the wrong section of the forums. Just didn't seem to fit in "Other NFL teams" or "Powder Power" or whatever it's called now. (Don't go there very often lol)

But in sense this is Broncos discussion. And I want to hear your opinions (this was on the front page of NFL.com)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000212893/article/dallas-cowboys-san-diego-chargers-among-divisional-threats

2012 champs: Denver Broncos
Likeliest threat in 2013: San Diego Chargers

Why San Diego?

The chic pick in the AFC West is the Kansas City Chiefs, mostly due to the trade for quarterback Alex Smith and the arrival of coach Andy Reid. It's interesting that no one is considering how much Smith struggled prior to Jim Harbaugh becoming his coach in San Francisco. Smith will have a new offensive coordinator in Kansas City -- and, if you remember, the constant changing of offensive coordinators was blamed for all of Smith's struggles over his first six years in the league. Here's a vote for Philip Rivers resuscitating his career in 2013. Bear in mind that the Chargers went 7-9 last season, whereas the Chiefs fell to 2-14. The Bolts also allowed nearly five fewer points per game.

How it can happen:

Chargers head coach Mike McCoy needs to improve the passing game by creating higher-percentage shots on intermediate routes. Rivers averaged less than 7 yards per throw last year.
Receiver Vincent Brown and running back Ryan Mathews MUST stay healthy.
Manti Te'o has to show that his football IQ is as high as talent evaluators like Mike Mayock say it is. Not only must he anticipate what opposing offenses will do, he also must help get teammates in position to make the plays he doesn't

This just blows my mind how this is even a story. I understand it's their professional jobs to talk football but is this honestly even within the realm of discussion?

We all discuss divisional threats and talk about them in forums because football is so un-predictable at times. But on the front page it says "Chargers are Primed to take over their respected division"

Can somebody please explain how so? Heres what I see

1) Cry-Me-a-Rivers has turned the ball over 35 times in the past two seasons! At the worst if opposing teams got a field goal from every turnover thats 105 points directly responsible against his team all on his own. As talented is his stats (and wins) have grown progressively worse the past 3 years. At no signs of improvement.

1. B) Past 2 years. Rivers has thrown 35 interceptions. While Cutler has thrown 21.

2) In 2013 San Diego's sack leader was Shaun Phillips with 9.5. (gee where did he go again?) Their number two was Cory Luiget with 7

Denver's sack leader was Von with 18.5 (more than Luiget and Phillips combined) More detail? Doom had 11 sacks and Derek Wolfe had 6.

-----------------

I apologize for the long almost rant like thread. But it just doesn't compute to me. Unless both Freeney and Rivers have freak breakout career seasons. Oh and if Manti wins DROY.

Thoughts?

theMileHighGuy
06-18-2013, 10:32 PM
The word "threat" is pretty subjective in this context. Someone has to come in second :D

They had a really good draft, they're as likely to compete for #2 as the Chiefs imo.

db1978
06-18-2013, 10:41 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000212893/article/dallas-cowboys-san-diego-chargers-among-divisional-threats

This just blows my mind how this is even a story. I understand it's their professional jobs to talk football but is this honestly even within the realm of discussion?

I apologize for the long almost rant like thread. But it just doesn't compute to me. Unless both Freeney and Rivers have freak breakout career seasons. Oh and if Manti wins DROY.

Thoughts?

I don't see anything wrong with saying they may be 2nd in the AFC West. I thought the NFC East was much worse with saying Dallas was the threat when their coach is about 3 games from being fired.

#24 Next Champ
06-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Nobody threatens us next year

roushmartin6
06-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Run run run punt. Chargers first series of the year. Not concerned about the Chargers or their new head coach.

crash123go
06-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Honestly, not scared at all by the chargers. They are where we were at the end of the shanny era where we barely had a average starter at every position compared to now where our second and even some third guys are NFL starters.

I also don't see how the charger WR are going to be able to compete with our CB in man coverage. KC actually worries me more because they do have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball and have a very good running game to compliment smith as long as Reid isn't stupid and actually runs the ball.

BroncoFanDK
06-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Run run run punt. Chargers first series of the year. Not concerned about the Chargers or their new head coach.

Ohh Mike McCoy is more creative than that - he also has the run, run, pass, punt option:thumb:

To the basics we know that Philip Rivers has the talent and ability to carry the team. That two seasons of your team going 7-9 is a disaster is the disaster many teams would like. Rivers lacks protection and weapons, and if he gets that it is realistic that they challenge us, but the odds are strongly in our favor.

Mike McCoy under McDaniels however was a whole lot more creative than McCoy under Fox, so now we will see if he is worth the hype. I think both Dennis Allen and Mike McCoy seem overrated, but then I don't agree that it was the defense that was responsible for the 2011 wins and that McCoy/Fox were brilliant for their handling of Tebow.

broncsfan219
06-19-2013, 02:48 AM
1. B) Past 2 years. Rivers has thrown 5 interceptions. While Cutler has thrown 21.

I'm confused about this point did you make an error?

crash123go
06-19-2013, 04:06 AM
1. B) Past 2 years. Rivers has thrown 5 interceptions. While Cutler has thrown 21.

He meant to put 35 not just 5. Rivers has thrown 35 INT in 2 years

Papa-pwn
06-19-2013, 06:06 AM
Chargers will be lucky to go .500, much less threaten us.

one5beast
06-19-2013, 06:21 AM
Biggest threat to the Broncos are themselves.

mray
06-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Biggest threat to the Broncos are themselves.

^^^This^^^

Barring serious injury issues we lock up the division early.

FL BRONCO
06-19-2013, 07:58 AM
I want some of what these writers are smokin

PowderAddict
06-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Even with Os I believe we win the division. If Manning and Miller go down for the season, then I can see an opening.

Denver Mike
06-19-2013, 08:18 AM

How odd I know I but 35. I wonder if bolding it messed it up. But yeah the guy that said I meant to put 35 was correct.

My bad ;)

Chronoless
06-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Even with Os I believe we win the division. If Manning and Miller go down for the season, then I can see an opening.

I don't know man, we did win it with Tebow who was a full back...... but yea, your right.

samparnell
06-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Time will tell.

Kansas Bob
06-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Staying healthy is the secret. Multiple injuries can stop us but with a year of playing together I really expect Denver to be Super Bowl winners.

BroncoFanBoy
06-19-2013, 11:00 AM
SD is no threat at all. They've lost some talent over the years, plus some players just can't stay healthy.

I also think McCoy was a terrible OC here in Denver. If your playcalling is generc while Peyton Manning is running the offense, you know you're not a good offensive coordinator. Why he was hired as a HC is beyond me.

Brohemoth
06-19-2013, 11:19 AM
San Diego is a threat if Rivers has any sort of protection, Gates is healthy, and our defense has not corrected its severe weakness against tight ends. I assume it is a major point of emphasis so I doubt the threat will exist.

Brohemoth
06-19-2013, 11:26 AM
But that only a potential threat to our two games against one another, not the division. Oops.

Tarheel23
06-19-2013, 11:53 AM
They also were saying the Chiefs were gonna win the division last year. How'd that work out?
....With the first pick of the 2013 NFL Draft the Chiefs Select...haha.

Chronoless
06-19-2013, 12:15 PM
They also were saying the Chiefs were gonna win the division last year. How'd that work out?
....With the first pick of the 2013 NFL Draft the Chiefs Select...haha.

To think, they believe Cassell was going lead them, maybe they should of drafted a QB in the 2012 Draft.

chad72
06-19-2013, 12:19 PM
SD is no threat at all. They've lost some talent over the years, plus some players just can't stay healthy.

I also think McCoy was a terrible OC here in Denver. If your playcalling is generc while Peyton Manning is running the offense, you know you're not a good offensive coordinator. Why he was hired as a HC is beyond me.

McCoy is smart enough to know that his OC days can't be exposed in San Diego, so he hired Wisenhunt :). He was smart enough to tailor the offense a bit to Tebow and Peyton. While the playcalling was not stellar, the fact that he was able to adapt made him a head coaching candidate.

That is my best guess :)

BroncoFanBoy
06-19-2013, 12:26 PM
McCoy is smart enough to know that his OC days can't be exposed in San Diego, so he hired Wisenhunt :). He was smart enough to tailor the offense a bit to Tebow and Peyton. While the playcalling was not stellar, the fact that he was able to adapt made him a head coaching candidate.

That is my best guess :)

Anyone can tailor an offense to Tebow or Manning.

Tebow is simple. Read-option, lots of run plays, a few passes.

Manning basically has his own playbook. He does call his own audibles too.

What McCoy did there doesn't impress me.

Idiot_Kicker
06-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Denver wins this Division by at least three games, end of story

assassin216
06-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Nobody threatens us next year

We will probably win the division,but I see us losing one or two division games though....

orangecrushtime
06-21-2013, 08:43 PM
I think it is far more likely that the Chargers have a worse record this year. There biggest loss just might have been Vasquez too :peace:

CanDB
06-22-2013, 12:12 PM
I think KC has a slightly better shot to go 500 and change than SD.

We will win the division, no question. Injuries are not factored into this, because one never knows.

As of today, we are again in contention for top seed.

Sam_Z
06-22-2013, 02:59 PM
We will probably win the division,but I see us losing one or two division games though....

Hopefully not that many but its a likely scenario especially with Kc. They are a tough team, ppl get all upset when I say this but the Chiefs are as tough as the Broncos were before Peyton Manning.

SoundsOfSuccess
06-22-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm alot more scared of Jamaal Charles than Mike McCoy, lol.

SoundsOfSuccess
06-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Hopefully not that many but its a likely scenario especially with Kc. They are a tough team, ppl get all upset when I say this but the Chiefs are as tough as the Broncos were before Peyton Manning.

The Chiefs might be a playoff team this year.

Their offense should be pretty damn good. Along with new coach Reid, they have a lot of talent. Charles, Bowe, Moeaki, and most importantly new QB Alex Smith. They are more likely than anyone to slow down the Broncos pass rush with new stud LT Eric Fisher. They also grabbed a second very athletic TE in Kelce in the draft.

On D, Berry is a top safety in the league, Brandon Flowers is a top CB, and Tamba Hali can rush the passer as well as anyone.

It sucks to realize, but things are lookin' up in KC.

broncolassiter
06-23-2013, 10:25 AM
As long as Manning remains upright, i don't see any team being able to compete with us for the west.
1. KC has a new coach and QB (Alex Smith). Smith was never considered any good until Hardball got to SF,and he was replaced by a rookie mid season.
2. SD has a new coach that like to play conservative. Rivers lost most of his weapons because of bad management of funds and are still paying the price.
3 . Oak is still searching for a QB and until the new owner learns to rely on his staff instead of thinking he knows what he is doing, they are a long way from competing.

I hope those teams can get it together, but as it is now Denver has no one to push them in the west. We need the competition, but it don't appear we will get any out of our own division. I can see us sweeping the division for a second straight year.

CanDB
06-23-2013, 11:06 AM

The Chiefs might be a playoff team this year.

Their offense should be pretty damn good. Along with new coach Reid, they have a lot of talent. Charles, Bowe, Moeaki, and most importantly new QB Alex Smith. They are more likely than anyone to slow down the Broncos pass rush with new stud LT Eric Fisher. They also grabbed a second very athletic TE in Kelce in the draft.

On D, Berry is a top safety in the league, Brandon Flowers is a top CB, and Tamba Hali can rush the passer as well as anyone.

It sucks to realize, but things are lookin' up in KC.

Last year I felt strongly that KC was the best "not good" team out there, and if they stayed healthy and found a QB, they'd have a decent team going into the season. They acquired a good coach and QB, and had the luxury of high draft picks. I expect this team to have a much, much better season. If Smith plays well, they could contend for a playoff spot.

They are better than SD this year.

NateTheGreat
06-23-2013, 11:17 AM
There is no threat from anyone in the AFC West. Reid wont make a difference in Kansas City. We know McCoy and we took 3 solid players from San Diego.. why would they leave if the Chargers were so great and well the Raiders suck and always will!

dlewis76
06-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Ryan Matthews will not stay healthy for a full season.

rst08tierney
06-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Honestly the Chargers have a better chance moving to LA then they do challenging the broncos for the division this year

Vhailor
07-01-2013, 05:42 AM
As long as Manning remains upright, i don't see any team being able to compete with us for the west.
1. KC has a new coach and QB (Alex Smith). Smith was never considered any good until Hardball got to SF,and he was replaced by a rookie mid season. What Harbaugh gave Smith was confidence. Smith isn't a bad QB by any stretch of the imagination and if Reid can do the same thing that Harbaugh did, Smith could very well have good year.

Hoserman117
07-01-2013, 02:23 PM
I really can't see the Chargers challenging us this year. Their roster has been gutted in a few places (OL in particular) and their once very strong defense is falling apart a little. There are a lot of young guys that could be very good in the future, but I think it's gonna take them a while. I'm also not really buying into McCoy as a HC.

-Rod-
07-01-2013, 03:10 PM
In my opinion, the Chargers have failed to upgrade the OL. I don't like Fluker as a pass protector and Max Starks has not been an effective blindside protector. We can also mention the loss of Vasquez to a division rival. I also think they failed to get a #1 RB that can carry the load and take some pressure from the passing game if Ryan Mathews continues to be a disappointment. They have a good DL that creates inside presssure (Liuget 7.0 sacks, Reyes 5.5 sacks) but they're lacking options in the edge rush department. I thought Freeney looked lazy and soft last season. Their group of CBs is not impressive. I don't think that defense can stop a strong passing game.

I have the Chiefs ahead of the Chargers. I said the same thing last year, but the Chiefs were sabotaged by abysmal QBs. They can be more competitive than the Chargers as long as Alex Smith doesn't stink like Brady Quinn. That OL with Jamaal Charles running the ball is already more dangerous than anything the Chargers have to offer.