PDA

View Full Version : Federation Cup

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Who's watching it? I dont watch much soccer, but I do like to catch good international competition like this.

Are you watching Rod?

InsaneBlaze23
06-30-2013, 03:29 PM
I.
Soccer is really catching on with me. These games have been really good, seen all Brazil's games. Rooting for them to win it.

-Rod-
06-30-2013, 03:35 PM
No. I've been in the streets in the protests against the corrupt government and I'm against the World Cup here. I hope Spain wins.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Pele has expressed support of the protests, but that doesnt mean he wants the national team to lose.

samparnell
06-30-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm confused by the title of this thread. I thought NFL and All Other Teams meant American Football teams. Is it OK for me to talk about Formula One Teams in this thread? :confused:

-Rod-
06-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Pele has expressed support of the protests, but that doesnt mean he wants the national team to lose.

Honestly, Pele is an idiot, probably paid by the rats in suits to send a message that was something like "let's root for our national team, forget about the protests". Most people around here know he is a dumbass when he speaks about politics.

-Rod-
06-30-2013, 04:00 PM
The last thing we need is people partying and forgetting about what must be done to change things. The government will use soccer as a tool (as usual) to deflect attention and make the people lose focus. A World Cup in Brazil is like buying expensive clothes when your kinds are hungry.

SoundsOfSuccess
06-30-2013, 04:09 PM
That little Neymar guy may look like an idiot but he doesn't play soccer like one.

Pretty pathetic performance by Casillas.

DevilSpawn
06-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Ugh Casillas you're killing me. Still, Brazil has played 10,000 times better today. Can't be mad.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-30-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm confused by the title of this thread. I thought NFL and All Other Teams meant American Football teams. Is it OK for me to talk about Formula One Teams in this thread? :confused:

Woops, I scanned the forum too quickly. I thought it said, "NFL and all other sports".

:laugh:

You would think I would know better.

I will ask the mods politely to move it.

InsaneBlaze23
06-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Yay!!
Happy about that outcome. Brazil is my favorite international team, Barcelona my favorite team. Neymar will be playing with Messi and Dani Alves soon.

Neymar is a really really good player, but he flops so much.

JT24Champ
06-30-2013, 08:24 PM
No. I've been in the streets in the protests against the corrupt government and I'm against the World Cup here. I hope Spain wins.

what are the riots actually about? haven't been able to follow it....

JT24Champ
06-30-2013, 08:25 PM
but btw brazil is the team to beat next world cup. they made spain look like their little female dog

Cahill
07-01-2013, 08:13 AM
The clearance by Luiz was pretty clutch. He's my favorite footballer presently. I hope to see him become captain of the Chelsea squad one day.

berlownacyo7s
07-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Brazil winning puts a HUGE amount of pressure on themselves next year, but if they can consistently play like they did yesterday it should not be that big of an issue. They dominated Spain. The commentators had it right, Paulinho and Gustavo shut everything down in the midfield, and if Spain can't boss the center of the pitch like they normally do then they're screwed.

They should have started Navas from the get go, because he gives Spain the winger type of player that they really needed yesterday. Pedro normally does too, but is was underwhelming yesterday. Over the last two games I've come to the opinion that Cesc Fabregas is a really, really important cog in Spain's attack. Xavi was non-existent. Iniesta flashed periodically (especially in the 2nd half), but didn't capitalize on any of his runs. If Fabregas were there instead of Mata I think Spain would've been much more successful. Also, spain really missed Puyol. Their right back was getting abused all game by the Brazilians. If Puyol was there and Sergio Ramos pushes out to RB then I think it would've been a better match. Oh well, you can't blame injuries for the loss. In the end Brazil played much better and deserved the win. It's scary how good Neymar might become. I really hope he learns a lot from Messi the coming years at Barcelona, because he has the look to be someone really special.

Matymaddog
07-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Brazil winning puts a HUGE amount of pressure on themselves next year, but if they can consistently play like they did yesterday it should not be that big of an issue. They dominated Spain. The commentators had it right, Paulinho and Gustavo shut everything down in the midfield, and if Spain can't boss the center of the pitch like they normally do then they're screwed.

They should have started Navas from the get go, because he gives Spain the winger type of player that they really needed yesterday. Pedro normally does too, but is was underwhelming yesterday. Over the last two games I've come to the opinion that Cesc Fabregas is a really, really important cog in Spain's attack. Xavi was non-existent. Iniesta flashed periodically (especially in the 2nd half), but didn't capitalize on any of his runs. If Fabregas were there instead of Mata I think Spain would've been much more successful. Also, spain really missed Puyol. Their right back was getting abused all game by the Brazilians. If Puyol was there and Sergio Ramos pushes out to RB then I think it would've been a better match. Oh well, you can't blame injuries for the loss. In the end Brazil played much better and deserved the win. It's scary how good Neymar might become. I really hope he learns a lot from Messi the coming years at Barcelona, because he has the look to be someone really special.

I don't think it's a ton of pressure that they won outside the fact that its in Brazil. They've won 3 times in a row now and the last 2 times they lost in the World Cup. I think there's a ton more pressure on Germany. As for Spain, a lot of those guys play on Barca and Real and they pretty much went straight from the end of their season into these games. I'd venture to guess all those games took a heavy toll.

InsaneBlaze23
07-01-2013, 01:36 PM

Agree with you complete, Spain was lost without Puyol and Navas added some spark which they really needed.
To me though the biggest thing I took from that game was Fred and Brazil's goaltending.
Fred was hot through out the tourney and Julio was a man possessed.

Brazil played faster and took every chance they was given.

-Rod-
07-01-2013, 02:13 PM
what are the riots actually about? haven't been able to follow it....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=503515766394355

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmVIjdci3do

Corruption, massive expenses that feed our corrupt politics, massive taxes that don't translate into public services. We're fighting for constitutional rights. Our Constitution's original text has been destroyed by excessive amendments. And now the abuse of the police force has become an issue.

aberdien
07-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Spain just need to learn how to adapt when they aren't able to pass the ball as much as they do.

Brazil definitely still aren't the WC favorites for me.

EvertonBroncos
07-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Germany are the team to beat for me, the talent they have is terrifying. Spain are a great team but the reason they've done so well in recent years is because teams are too intimidated and give them too much space to play, the second a good team pressurises them they get rattled and go to pieces. Similar to Bayern Munich demolishing Barcelona in the champions league.

berlownacyo7s
07-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Germany is really good, I agree. The scary thing about them is how much young talent they have. For the most part, Spain relies on some of the older veterans (Xavi, Iniesta, Torres, Villa, Casillas, Puyol). Sure they have some younger talent like Fabregas, Alba, and Mata, but the essential core of that team is close to, if not already over, the age of 30. Germany on the other hand has tons and tons of younger players at the heart of their current team: Neuer, Ozil, Muller, Gotze, Reus, Kroos, Khedira, etc. It's scary how good they're going to be for the next decade since they're having a near seemless transition from old to new.

Although Brazil just made Spain look really bad, I still think them and Germany are the top two teams, and everyone else is significantly behind. Brazil will shoot up into the top 10, maybe even top 5 after the Confederations Cup performance, but to me they're still not ready to consistently beat teams like Spain and Germany. I'm stoked for the World Cup though.

Matymaddog
07-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Germany are the team to beat for me, the talent they have is terrifying. Spain are a great team but the reason they've done so well in recent years is because teams are too intimidated and give them too much space to play, the second a good team pressurises them they get rattled and go to pieces. Similar to Bayern Munich demolishing Barcelona in the champions league.

I had Germany as my personal fav to win the last world cup but I forgot just how young they were. 4 years later, Germany is going to be an absolute wrecking crew. I just don't see them making the same young mistakes they made the last world cup. They are absolute power house on all fronts. I understand when looking at rosters such as Spain you can't help but say "Wow" at all the talent but when I look at Germany and see not only talent but physically imposing players I can't help but hold them as the favorite.

aberdien
07-01-2013, 11:44 PM
It doesn't matter, USA is gonna beat all of them anyway :D

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-02-2013, 07:31 AM
I know this, that was a really cool event to watch.

InsaneBlaze23
07-02-2013, 07:36 AM
It doesn't matter, USA is gonna beat all of them anyway :D

Wishfully thinking.
I'd be amazing if the US won but I don't think they have the talent to compete with the Germans. They can compete with Spain if they play fast and hard. Brazil would also be a challenge for the US.

aberdien
07-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Wishfully thinking.
I'd be amazing if the US won but I don't think they have the talent to compete with the Germans. They can compete with Spain if they play fast and hard. Brazil would also be a challenge for the US.

Yeah I was just kidding lol. Quarterfinal would be maxing out the US's potential. No way in hell US has a chance against Spain, Brazil, Germany, Belgium, Portugal, Netherlands, Italy, or Argentina. But they could make a QF and that'd be great.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Yeah I was just kidding lol. Quarterfinal would be maxing out the US's potential. No way in hell US has a chance against Spain, Brazil, Germany, Belgium, Portugal, Netherlands, Italy, or Argentina. But they could make a QF and that'd be great.

Didn't we make the semi's last time, or was that just the quarters?

aberdien
07-03-2013, 04:51 PM
It was round of 16 I believe.

EvertonBroncos
07-03-2013, 05:31 PM
It was round of 16 I believe.

Indeed it was, against Ghana, another very good team, that said USA proved their worth against a full strength Spain side in the last Confed's cup, and certainly are a team to be taken seriously!

berlownacyo7s
07-03-2013, 06:00 PM
I honestly believe that if the USA plays up to the level it's capable of playing at, we can give any team a good run for its money. Now that's not to say that we'd beat a Germany or a Spain or even a Brazil on a consistent basis, but I could certainly see us pulling one unexpected upset and making it to the quarterfinals. The US definitely has the ability to get past the group stage (although it's by no means a lock) and if we get a good matchup we could win the first elimination game. After that we'd need a big upset to advance any further. Likely to happen? Maybe not, but upsets can happen in soccer so I won't rule it out.

Take the last WC for instance: Ghana is a good team, but the US is definitely capable of beating them, and it would not be that big of an upset. Other teams is the 2012 WC sweet 16 we COULD have beaten - Chile, Slovakia, Japan, Paraguay, and maybe England. So if we were to get a good draw a face a team of that skill level we could make it to the elite 8. However, after that you're facing teams like Uruguay, Netherlands, Spain, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Portugal, etc. Against those teams the US would need a perfect game from themselves and a not-quite-up-to-standard performance from the other team. But like I said earlier, could something like that happen and the US find itself with an upset? Absolutely. Could it happen twice in a row? No. So that's why I say I could see the US making the quarterfinals at best.

But if Tim Howard plays like a man possessed (he's certainly capable of doing so as a legitimate top 10 GK in the world), Michael Bradley is playing, and Altidore/Dempsey are on form, then we could run with any team.

EvertonBroncos
07-05-2013, 02:01 PM
But if Tim Howard plays like a man possessed (he's certainly capable of doing so as a legitimate top 10 GK in the world), Michael Bradley is playing, and Altidore/Dempsey are on form, then we could run with any team.

I love Tim Howard, he's been a great servant to Everton and seems like a really great person. However, as a goalkeeper, he has some real flaws. Has no command of his penalty area, at times seems scared to come off his line to claim something, punches when he should catch, and is prone to lapses in concentration. In terms of pure shot stopping ability and athleticism though, there really are not many better, I've said that the entire time he's been at Everton, if his decision making was better he would be the best keeper in the league, and amongst the world's best.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/ldp2/apr2009/3/0/tim-howard-the-everton-fa-cup-hero-celebrates-_460-767310902.jpg

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-05-2013, 02:09 PM
I love Tim Howard, he's been a great servant to Everton and seems like a really great person. However, as a goalkeeper, he has some real flaws. Has no command of his penalty area, at times seems scared to come off his line to claim something, punches when he should catch, and is prone to lapses in concentration. In terms of pure shot stopping ability and athleticism though, there really are not many better, I've said that the entire time he's been at Everton, if his decision making was better he would be the best keeper in the league, and amongst the world's best.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/ldp2/apr2009/3/0/tim-howard-the-everton-fa-cup-hero-celebrates-_460-767310902.jpg

As Americans we're sort of partial to Tim Howard. He's the only real world class player we have on our national team.

EvertonBroncos
07-11-2013, 07:26 AM
As Americans we're sort of partial to Tim Howard. He's the only real world class player we have on our national team.

We signed his eventual replacement 2 days ago, Joel Robles, 23 year old Spaniard.

InsaneBlaze23
07-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Tim Howard is just inconsistent, you really never know what you're gonna get when he plays. Though he does give USA and Everton the best chance of winning(between the goalies on the rosters), you still can't trust the man. He'd be a stud one game then beyond mediocre the next.