PDA

View Full Version : Does the NFL have a crime problem, interesting read from the BBC

bronx_2003
07-07-2013, 03:20 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23179125

Its an english site so I doubt many of you have come across it, but I found it an interesting read.

samparnell
07-07-2013, 03:34 PM
As far as the question is concerned, I don't know.

Does British football have a skinhead problem?

In either case, the existence of a problem would be recognizable by prevalence over a shorter time period than the scope of the article which goes back to the days of OJ. Do criminal acts by ex-players necessarily indicate a league problem? IDK

It's a pretty balanced piece nonetheless.

bronx_2003
07-07-2013, 03:51 PM
As far as the question is concerned, I don't know.

Does British football have a skinhead problem?

In either case, the existence of a problem would be recognizable by prevalence over a shorter time period than the scope of the article which goes back to the days of OJ. Do criminal acts by ex-players necessarily indicate a league problem? IDK

It's a pretty balanced piece nonetheless.

lol, not quite sure the relevance, but in general I don't think British football has had any trouble for at least 20 years.

Looking at world football there seems a problem in Eastern Europe..... Poland and Serbia being the worst......... and sometimes in South America it gets out of hand

ruksak
07-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Sounds more like a liberal UK taking shots at what they perceive as Cowboy Yankee Americans and our lust for violence and crime. They indulged greatly to wander outside of NFL crime stats to indicate our social crime issues away from football.

The BBC is extremely left-wing anti-American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_BBC#Anti-American_bias).

bronx_2003
07-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Sounds more like a liberal UK taking shots at what they perceive as Cowboy Yankee Americans and our lust for violence and crime. They indulged greatly to wander outside of NFL crime stats to indicate our social crime issues away from football.

The BBC is extremely left-wing anti-American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_BBC#Anti-American_bias).

All I saw there was some bloke called O'Reilly spouting nonsense. I completely disagree.

The article actually defends NFL players and say's regardless of public perception there isn't a crime problem among them, its not taking shots at them.

Its a positive article regarding the NFL

HUMCALC
07-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Have any of you seen the article where it lists the crimes that NFL players have committed and then the NBA players, and when you scroll down, it's ACTUALLY ALL THE CRIMES THAT OUR REPRESENTATIVES have committed?

bronx_2003
07-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Have any of you seen the article where it lists the crimes that NFL players have committed and then the NBA players, and when you scroll down, it's ACTUALLY ALL THE CRIMES THAT OUR REPRESENTATIVES have committed?

I don't want to sound rude to anyone but let me lay this out as simply as I can.

It gives crime stats 'for America' because the NFL is 'in America'

At the moment a lot of fans are saying the NFL has a crime problem, this basically is saying that the Americans who play in the NFL have a lower arrest rate then Americans who don't play in the NFL.

If it was a report on English Soccer it would list English crime rates

If it was a report on Cuban Baseball it would list Cuba crime rates

This is a simple report I found insightful as it has actual figures and stats, and a boost for the NFL's rep. Some people are reading WAYYYYYY too much into this.

ruksak
07-07-2013, 04:35 PM
All I saw there was some bloke called O'Reilly spouting nonsense. I completely disagree.

The article actually defends NFL players and say's regardless of public perception there isn't a crime problem among them, its not taking shots at them.

Its a positive article regarding the NFL

I'm not sure I follow your logic.

I saw this article as an attempt to show that the crime rate among the NFL players was symptomatic of our societies crime problem. Which may or may not be true, but the general tone of the article I perceived as an attempted indictment of American society.

Nothing to get excited about, but the negativity was on-par with the BBC's typical anti-American vitriol.

EDIT: It may just be me though. I'm not very happy with the BBC due to some of the things they've said and done in the past. Read their articles with the proverbial grain 'o' salt.

OPP
07-07-2013, 04:49 PM
It doesn't suprise me the NFL arrest rate is lower than the general american population one. What is still disturbing is a lot of those players are role model, had major education and have millions in their bank accounts unlike the majority of the criminals (who in general live in poverty, don't have education and don't have role model).

bronx_2003
07-07-2013, 04:52 PM
It doesn't suprise me the NFL arrest rate is lower than the general american population one. What is still disturbing is a lot of those players are role model, had major education and have millions in their bank accounts unlike the majority of the criminals (who in general live in poverty, don't have education and don't have role model).

Yep, this is a big reason its lower, they have wealth.

Although I do think it gets over-hyped about a perceived crime problem. The vast majority do great work for charities and stuff, its a very small percentage that have been in major trouble.

ruksak
07-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Yep, this is a big reason its lower, they have wealth.

Although I do think it gets over-hyped about a perceived crime problem. The vast majority do great work for charities and stuff, its a very small percentage that have been in major trouble.

It should be noted (as was in the OP article) that the vast majority of NFL player crime is drunk driving, a crime that transcends social class. This is why many clubs have anonymous call-a-ride programs that act as a resource to cut down on such occurrences. I'm actually surprised the idea isn't league-wide by now.

samparnell
07-08-2013, 05:50 AM
dunk driving? driving under water? :confused: :D

PowderAddict
07-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Eh, they're still bitter over losing control of the colonies :P

bronx_2003
07-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Eh, they're still bitter over losing control of the colonies :P

Tempting to list all the fail with this post...... but I know your joking........ and I'm not going down that loooooong road lol

PowderAddict
07-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Tempting to list all the fail with this post...... but I know your joking........ and I'm not going down that loooooong road lol

If you really want to win the "UK vs USA" argument, all you have to do is point to UK Top Gear vs USA Top Gear. Our Top Gear sucks. Alot. It's unwatchable. UK Top Gear is the best show ever made.

bronx_2003
07-08-2013, 09:28 AM
If you really want to win the "UK vs USA" argument, all you have to do is point to UK Top Gear vs USA Top Gear. Our Top Gear sucks. Alot. It's unwatchable. UK Top Gear is the best show ever made.

Yeah, although you do have 24 and Prison Break. 2 of my favorite all time shows :)

ruksak
07-08-2013, 09:51 AM
dunk driving? driving under water? :confused: :D

lol....errrmm...oops.

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-gen101.gif