PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes, cricket - England v Australia

bronx_2003
07-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Not expecting much response lol but I'll try and sell it anyway. Greatest rivalry in Cricket and as old as time itself.

The Aussies looking to put the Poms in their place, the evil regime who took over the country and they are still under our Queen.

This was the first of 5 tests, at Trent Bridge, Nottingham. Both sides did brilliant. A young 19 yr old Aussie stood out... Ashton Agar, and the brilliance of a top bowler... James Anderson.

Going into day 5 of 5 the Aussies needed 137 runs to win with 4 wickets left -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N12LjavBeVc

bronx_2003
07-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Continued to the end....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I3mS5FbN7c

bronx_2003
07-15-2013, 03:49 PM
My favorite ball of the match, to their best player -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fimqtOiGX84

EvertonBroncos
07-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Couldn't believe how we nearly let them win the first test when we were 80 odd ahead needing just 1 wicket. I love the ashes, can't wait for the 2nd test

bronx_2003
07-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Couldn't believe how we nearly let them win the first test when we were 80 odd ahead needing just 1 wicket. I love the ashes, can't wait for the 2nd test

Yep, should be good. At 117-9 in the first innings the game was over, but then Agar turned it on its head. I predicted a 3-1 series win (with one rain affected draw somewhere). I think we are better then the Aussies but they are not as bad as some people make out.

Although some people think its a positive for the Aussies to get so close to winning, and it is in a way, I would be really worried if I was an Australian fan.

Their #11 gets 98, they have the highest last wicket partnership of all time, and England have their traditional 1st innings of a test series collapse....... and the Aussies still lose. England traditionally get better as a series goes on.

I think the toss is MASSIVE on Thursday, especially for Australia. Its going to be hot and flat. If we win the toss (and obviously will bat) they could have huge problems getting rid of Cook, Trott and Pieterson on a flat deck and they could be batted out the game and be facing huge scoreboard pressure when its their turn to bat.

and they can't afford to go 2-0 down in the series.

Freyaka
07-17-2013, 07:19 AM
I can't hear crickit without thinking of this
http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Krikkit

marktippins1981
07-21-2013, 12:11 AM
Not much response from our fellow Americans on this one then. I have tried to spark the interest in Cricket on this forum a few times, but failed. Did find it amusing when someone said 'oh that game with the paddle'.

Anyhow, Ashes Cricket is the best, and the 2nd Test is proving to be pretty one-sided. At last we are punishing those dirty Aussies for the last 20 years of abuse they have given us.

England vs Australia is not like India vs Pakistan; not pure hatred. A rivalry that is based on respect for each other. I like the Aussies, but love beating them more :)

bronx_2003
07-21-2013, 07:08 PM
2-0 !!!!!!

Only the weather can prevent a whitewash. It will be harder in Australia though... if there top 6 can figure out how to get runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cTuFRhlu6A

Aussie Bronc
08-14-2013, 04:18 AM
I'm really don't understand the aussie mentality at the moment, I mean really our team isn't that great (at the moment) but we're not even blooding young players just older ones, in my opinion screwing the development of young talent

bronx_2003
08-14-2013, 06:50 AM
I'm really don't understand the aussie mentality at the moment, I mean really our team isn't that great (at the moment) but we're not even blooding young players just older ones, in my opinion screwing the development of young talent

I think the Aussies have played pretty well and could of won at Trent Bridge and Durham. They would of won at Manchester but for the rain (and in my opinion a slightly early declaration).

I think the Rogers pick was good. You have youngsters in Smith and Khawaja but need some veteran stability as well.

I like your order the other day with Warner and Rogers opening and Watson at 6.

The return series in Australia should be a really good contest.

Aussie Bronc
08-14-2013, 06:22 PM
I disagree, personally and it pains me to say but England has easily been on top during the series, the only test I have felt that Australia really should have won at Manchester. Otherwise to me they have really always been a step behind England.
Khawaja hasn't really shown much but Smith has been alright, but Rogers is 35 and debuting when Cricket Australia should be having really a youth movement.
But you're right I think it'll be closer in Australia.

bronx_2003
08-15-2013, 09:07 AM
I think they are blooding youth with Khawaja, Smith and Jackson Bird but you still need quality veterans mixed in. Its no good having 7-8 players in the team just because they are young if they're not up to the level and will just get beat.

I thought Trent Bridge was not as close as the score suggested but you really should of won in Durham, and I've no idea why Lyon didn't start the whole series, he's got a decent test record.

I think Cook, Trott and KP will come to the party in Aus. but Warner and Watson could do some damage as well. Should be a cracking series.

Aussie Bronc
08-16-2013, 01:00 AM
I agree on most of your points but still just have got that feeling of Australian cricket going for the quick fix, and Khawaja has plenty of time to be a decent test player but really (from memory) he hasn't really achieved anything.
Lyon probably should've started the whole series I don't argue that.
Anyway congrats to you Poms on retaining the ashes

Ginger Rob
10-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I managed to go to 4/5 days at Trent Bridge, plus 2 at Durham, great series.