PDA

View Full Version : Should the NFL Celebrate Prostate Cancer Awareness Month?

#01BroncoFan
08-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Why is it that the NFL only acknowledge Breast cancer Awareness month and college only Prostate Awareness month?
Shouldn't the NFL acknowledge September as Prostate Cancer awareness month while still recognizing October as Breast cancer month?
It doesn't even have to to be where we recognize only one cancer, does it? Why don't we just recognize all the cancer's as one?

Does this make since to you Broncos Country? Would this be a good idea?

Charlie Brown
08-05-2013, 02:23 PM
I don't think they should commemorate any of those things. I understand the reason they do it. But that said, it is football. They can donate some of their profits to charities, etc without forcing people to wear pink or whatever they'd wear for Prostate Cancer or any other Cancers and/or Diseases.

Houshmazode
08-05-2013, 02:54 PM
I think they should just do it for cancer in general because I hate seeing my favorite players wear pink.

assassin216
10-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Why is it that the NFL only acknowledge Breast cancer Awareness month and college only Prostate Awareness month?
Shouldn't the NFL acknowledge September as Prostate Cancer awareness month while still recognizing October as Breast cancer month?
It doesn't even have to to be where we recognize only one cancer, does it? Why don't we just recognize all the cancer's as one?

I've been asking the same thing,myself.....

This country don't care about men and our health,so it is what it is....

-Rod-
10-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Would you rather buy some football gear with your team color instead of that pink stuff? TV/internet advertisement, banners and money raised from regular gear. I think it would be enough. I know I have no interest in buying a pink glove, but I'd buy orange and blue gloves with the Broncos' logo. I don't know why football players must run with pink towels. There are other ways to raise awareness.

ruksak
10-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Make no mistake. This effort, as many seemingly good intentions, has a hidden agenda. This is a clever manner of upping female viewership....PERIOD. Good for awareness, yes. But let's not kid ourselves. Greed lurks beneath the good intent.

Freyaka
10-04-2013, 08:05 PM
I think they should just do it for cancer in general because I hate seeing my favorite players wear pink.

I don't care so much about the pink, that's never bothered me but really all cancers are HORRIBLE I'd rather they be aware of cancer in general instead of focusing on one specific type of cancer.

theMileHighGuy
10-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Make no mistake. This effort, as many seemingly good intentions, has a hidden agenda. This is a clever manner of upping female viewership....PERIOD. Good for awareness, yes. But let's not kid ourselves. Greed lurks beneath the good intent.

That it is. But a good part of the profits do go to Susan Homan Foundation, which is cool. Pink gear and even the breast cancer initiative by the NFL is all driven to produce sales and female viewers.

I don't mind the players wearing pink at all, as long as some money somewhere is going to cancer research because of it.

The Sheriff18
10-04-2013, 09:01 PM

That and getting women to buy some pink jersey or other paraphernalia that they wouldn't ordinarily buy.

Peanut
10-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Yeah. That's why I watch football. Because for one month they wear pink. And all those pink jerseys I have! So cute!

:laugh: Sorry. Pink is my least favorite color. Along with purple.

<<< Only pink I wear.

Every year we go through this. Why don't they do other cancer awareness months? I don't know. Someone should ask someone who is in charge.

2011 (http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?195088-Breast-Cancer-uniforms&highlight=NFL+pink)

2012 (http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?216078-here-we-go-with-the-pink-again&highlight=NFL+pink)

91bronco
10-05-2013, 02:00 PM
LOLZ- I remember this debate on the forum a couple/few years ago. It seems that it was about a 50/50 split back then. At the end of the day, it appears to be all about the bottom line....

omahaBroncoFan
10-05-2013, 02:01 PM
The whole breast cancer is more of an awareness campaign rather than a money raising campaign. Which is just fine, awareness for this type of thing does worlds of good. Similar awareness with prostate cancer would also have huge benefits. So yeah more efforts should be put towards prostate cancer or other diseases which education can be extremely beneficial.

I'd kind of like to see football not go crazy with awareness campaigns though, if they did every month something like they did for breast cancer I think it would be too much. However, it wouldn't have to be the same level as this whole breast cancer thing, maybe just an announcement at each game. Something non-annoying, yet the message is there.

GridironChamp
10-06-2013, 05:58 AM

I think a better question is why is America as a whole is obsessed with breast cancer when in speaking in terms of cancer it is a very treatable and less deadly form.

Not saying there should be no awareness, but we as a country go overboard saving a boob and funding boob saving, while letting prostate cancer, lung, pancreatic, ect.. sit in the background.

JayJack
10-06-2013, 06:22 AM
What better way for men to show their support by wearing pink? With so many men scared of the color pink, it shows that they are willing to put down their insecurities to help bring awareness to a cause that is much bigger than their ego, and I think that's great. Yeah you can write checks, put up banners and all that other jazz, but when you're the victim of the disease, it just warms your heart and put a huge smile on your face to physically see the support.

Just because the NFL doesn't openly support prostate cancer doesn't mean that they don't support financially. I don't think it's a good idea to support all the cancer diseases at one time, you'll don't bring awareness that way.

Rancid
10-06-2013, 06:43 AM
The NFL can support whatever causes they choose-- just like some here outwardly display their support for a particular cause.

This whole argument reminds me of the Atheists during the Christmas season every year who take to the media to ruin Christmas because they are offended by looking at Christmas trees. Are you that offended by looking at pink shoes? Pink towels and pink wristbands?

Lighten up Francis.

dizzolve
10-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Why?

Because Roger Goodell is trying leave a legacy period. 'look what I did'

I'm offended as a fan of the NFL how overdone the whole pink is. NFL colors are sacred in my opinion and this hot pink for an entire month is excessive to say the least

Now I'm not against supporting any causes, but there's no reason to just pick up some random (albeit pervasive disease) and plaster it's colors all over historic emblems we've come to love for 50 years + for most of us.

I think it's a ploy to gain women fans. Why? More fans = more money.

Do I think the NFL should do a month of Prostate Cancer? No I don't. But I DO understand your logic and the lack thereof by the NFL.

Unfortunately this is something that will never go away so get used to it.

As for Breast Cancer Awareness month - I hope it helps the cause because I'm sure it's already helped the NFL with their bottom line.

dizzolve
10-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Just because the NFL doesn't openly support prostate cancer doesn't mean that they don't support financially. I don't think it's a good idea to support all the cancer diseases at one time, you'll don't bring awareness that way.

Disease Awareness is about promoting it. Awareness isn't done behind closed doors that makes no sense. This post is about Awareness

xX-Bronco-Xx
10-06-2013, 08:59 AM

This really is the truth behind all the good intentions the NFL is claiming.

By the NFL supporting breast cancer awareness you get more of the female demographic to be inclined to support the NFL.

Having a prostate awareness month wouldn't make sense for the NFL financially because their biggest demographics is male already.

JayJack
10-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Disease Awareness is about promoting it. Awareness isn't done behind closed doors that makes no sense. This post is about Awareness

Sorry, my thoughts were everywhere, trying to respond while watching NFL Network and ESPN. Awareness is done behind closed doors, but it's not as effective as promoting it to the masses.

My question is who decides what organization does the NFL choose to support? Is it Goodell and his office? Or does the players have a say in it also?

A lot of people think the idea of supporting Breast Cancer is so that the NFL would draw more women to the game, and i'm in no position to say whether that's right or wrong, but I will say this much, when you see interviews with players, when a player is on the sideline in front of the camera you always see them acknowledge their mom, very, very seldom do you see them acknowledge their dad. Even on draft days you mostly see Mom, Grandma, and Auntie, if you do see a man, it's the Agent, cousin/best friend or uncle.

My point is, I can see the players supporting Breast Cancer Awareness because most of them were raised by their Mom, Grandma or Auntie and have probably experienced a woman in their family fighting Breast Cancer. Just my opinion.

xX-Bronco-Xx
10-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Sorry, my thoughts were everywhere, trying to respond while watching NFL Network and ESPN. Awareness is done behind closed doors, but it's not as effective as promoting it to the masses.

My question is who decides what organization does the NFL choose to support? Is it Goodell and his office? Or does the players have a say in it also?

A lot of people think the idea of supporting Breast Cancer is so that the NFL would draw more women to the game, and i'm in no position to say whether that's right or wrong, but I will say this much, when you see interviews with players, when a player is on the sideline in front of the camera you always see them acknowledge their mom, very, very seldom do you see them acknowledge their dad. Even on draft days you mostly see Mom, Grandma, and Auntie, if you do see a man, it's the Agent, cousin/best friend or uncle.

My point is, I can see the players supporting Breast Cancer Awareness because most of them were raised by their Mom, Grandma or Auntie and have probably experienced a woman in their family fighting Breast Cancer. Just my opinion.

The players opinions don't really go into much when you are comparing it to the bigger picture. In fact their support of this only helps the NFL make more money off of the awareness issue. Of course players will have their own personal reasons for supporting breast cancer awareness but the main thing is that the NFL is turning that into a cash making business.

I mean go to the NFL website and then click on their shop. What is the first thing you see? Ads for products that have breast cancer awareness. Then look right under that huge ad. It's their ad for women's apparel that they have been promoting a little bit before October started. Is it coincidence? I don't think so.

LSIGRAD09
10-06-2013, 11:06 AM

^ I agree with this

ruksak
10-06-2013, 11:10 AM
I've seen it a few times already, it just happened again in the Colts game. a pink hand towel hits the ground and the network puts up that a flag was thrown.

This pink flag idea is HORRIBLE!!!