PDA

View Full Version : How could anyone not like Tebow?

#01BroncoFan
08-05-2013, 01:37 PM
This is the way every NFL player should be like.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/08/04/patriots-quarterback-tim-tebow-connects-with-fans-with-his-signing-autographs/PxNph85iPgiYMDPRbkBYhK/story.html
Tebow will always be my favorite! :thumb:

SBboundBRONCOS
08-05-2013, 01:46 PM
because lots of other players do the same thing and dont get the recognition he gets, nor do they mention their beliefs in every interview

not that i dislike the guy as a person, he is a great guy, but its not impossible to be sick and tired of him

Charlie Brown
08-05-2013, 02:17 PM
As SBbound said, lots of players/teams do the same and/or similar things. An example is the Browns letting a 5 year old kid with cancer actually score a TD in a scrimmage. Heck, even non players do similar things as Bronco Cheerleaders were in the local paper for visiting terminal patients. Tebow wears his beliefs on his sleeve. He demands attention and credits his beliefs as to why he deserves attention. In football, and any other sport, you gain recognition for your play and not for your beliefs. That is why I cannot stand him - he acts as if he should be recognised for his beliefs rather than his play (which is severely lacking BTW)

Chillez
08-05-2013, 02:20 PM
There are many reasons why people don't like Tebow. Here are few reasons why.

1) Over hyped and overrated with little passing skills. He gets way more love from the fans and media than many football players that are way better than him.
2) Tebow loved by many fans who know little about the game of football or history of it.
3) Terrible at throwing the football, bad mechanics, reading the defense, and accuracy.

I could go on and on, but I think I made my point here. I love Tebow the person but not the football player. The one thing I'll give Tebow credit for is his intangibles and being a winner. With that being said, he should put his ego aside and try to become a TE or h-back because being QB is out of the question at this time until he really improves his game overall.

Charlie Brown
08-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Also, just a bit to add. I liked Colt McCoy. McCoy knew when/where to let his beliefs known. He too was vocal about his beliefs, in the correct setting. He was so-so in his play and IMHO got the bad end of the stick.

Houshmazode
08-05-2013, 02:52 PM
I don't really have a problem with Tebow besides the fact that he uses football for a platform to talk about his religion too much like Charlie said.

The thing that bothers everyone is his fans like the ones that all showed up when he started playing here and trashed the place before they left.

BroncoFanBoy
08-05-2013, 04:24 PM
I like him as a person. Most do.

As a QB, I don't like him.

HUMCALC
08-05-2013, 04:53 PM
I need some clarification here or perhaps just to blather on for a while, I'm not sure which right now. I don't understand how so many of the people on here can change their views on him as a QB in so little time. I've gone back and read the posts and remarks that were made in his 16 games as a starter. 90% of the people who posted during that time frame were excited to see what this young man could do with an entire off season as a starter under his belt. Yet from the time that Peyton Manning arrived, 90% of what I've read is how bad a QB he is/was. All this change of heart in such a short period of time.

Rant over, for now

#01BroncoFan
08-05-2013, 05:18 PM
I need some clarification here or perhaps just to blather on for a while, I'm not sure which right now. I don't understand how so many of the people on here can change their views on him as a QB in so little time. I've gone back and read the posts and remarks that were made in his 16 games as a starter. 90% of the people who posted during that time frame were excited to see what this young man could do with an entire off season as a starter under his belt. Yet from the time that Peyton Manning arrived, 90% of what I've read is how bad a QB he is/was. All this change of heart in such a short period of time.

Rant over, for now

I agree with you 100%. The only reason why people hate him now is because he's on a different team.
I bet you ten to one that if he ever came back to the Broncos, these remarks will be turned into celebration cheers.

100%Broncoholic
08-05-2013, 05:39 PM
I'm just going to post a reminder that this is not a thread to slam each other or Tebow. That thread is in Smack.

bears6385
08-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Nice kid..............lousy quarterback.

100%Broncoholic
08-05-2013, 05:45 PM

Rant over, for now

Yes folks were excited, but the ones who make the decisions must not have been which is why we went out and won the Manning FA Battle.

I agree with you 100%. The only reason why people hate him now is because he's on a different team.
I bet you ten to one that if he ever came back to the Broncos, these remarks will be turned into celebration cheers.

I would say that his brother's responses didn't help the fans love him anymore. I honestly don't see Tebow coming back here again unless he is on another team's roster.

broncos SB2010
08-05-2013, 07:51 PM

then again...some of us have never changed our tune.....

samparnell
08-05-2013, 07:57 PM
How could anyone not like Tebow? :confused:

Better to not ask that question around here because you might get an unexpected answer to what was probably posed as a rhetorical question. :eek:

Broncoholic3233
08-05-2013, 07:58 PM
It's simple.

Broncoholic3233
08-05-2013, 08:00 PM

Hahahaha hahahaha. Id take that bet in a heartbeat.

But thankfully, he never will be back. Woohoo

#01BroncoFan
08-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Hahahaha hahahaha. Id take that bet in a heartbeat.

But thankfully, he never will be back. Woohoo

I wish that he was back!
What you gotta say bout that?

Chillez
08-05-2013, 09:13 PM

Tebow will NEVER be back with the Broncos. So no, I'm not worried, I'll take that bet any day of the week, and twice on Sunday's.

CoryWinget81
08-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Because he's a crap QB and causes too much drama in the locker room and between fans.

baphamet
08-05-2013, 10:12 PM
his fans are the thing i hate most, he was a great college QB but an NFL QB he is not.

baphamet
08-05-2013, 10:14 PM
I wish that he was back!
What you gotta say bout that?

me too :laugh: :ugh:

captainbronco
08-05-2013, 10:17 PM
i dont hate tebow the GUY he seems like a "good" guy but its when he starts spewing his religious beliefs thats when i lose a lot of respect for him

Chillez
08-05-2013, 10:22 PM
his fans are the thing i hate most, he was a great college QB but an NFL QB he is not.

Crazy as Charger fan Baph, I agree with a lot of your post sometimes. Please keep that sig forever though. It's a classic. :P

Chillez
08-05-2013, 10:25 PM
me too :laugh: :ugh:

Baph, that would possible make the Chargers relevant again. We can't have that. :D

HDbroncos02
08-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Wow, have we seriously learned NOT to start a Tebow thread?! :doh:

I'm going to be honest. If you want Tebow back, do you expect him to start at QB? Does the OP want Tebow over Peyton Manning? Wanting Tebow over Manning is like wanting Denard Robinson over Tom Brady. Heck, I think Denard Robinson could even be a better QB than Tebow. Tebow's brother pretty much burned any bridges back to the Broncos.

Anyway, bringing back Tebow would only set us back one or two seasons... or ten. We are a Super Bowl contender with Manning. Do we want to go 8-8 or worse with Tebow? Do we want to waste the offensive talents of Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Wes Welker, Tavarres King, Greg Orton, Julius Thomas, Virgil Green, and Dreesen and Tamme? I could go on and on, but our window for the Super Bowl is a little narrow. Champ Bailey has one or two good seasons left. Peyton Manning has a few years left. Welker isn't getting any younger and is near the end of his prime. We do have a promising, young core. But bringing back Tebow would waste the talents of our better young players.

I could go on and on about why we shouldn't bring back Tebow as the OP suggested.

Like everybody else, I like Tebow as a person. Not as a football player or even a quarterback.

Also, I'd take Brock Osweiler any day over Tim Tebow.

ruksak
08-06-2013, 07:51 AM
I don't think the issue is that many people don't like him as a person. In the realm of NFL football, he's not a very talented QB.

ERoyal248
08-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Don't hate Tebow the person or QB.

It's his fans really that most people dislike for the most part.

Peanut
08-06-2013, 02:44 PM
We were at the Pats' training camp on Tuesday (30 July). Didn't stay until the end. It was a zoo. There were a few #5 jerseys out there.

There were vendors selling some sports newspaper. Headline was "QB Controversy in NE". About 5 of us looked at each other and said "What QB controversy?".

I like Tebow. I still would like for him to get another chance as a starter. I just don't know how this is going to turn out.

86Elwayfan
08-06-2013, 03:57 PM
because lots of other players do the same thing and dont get the recognition he gets, nor do they mention their beliefs in every interview

not that i dislike the guy as a person, he is a great guy, but its not impossible to be sick and tired of him

I think i agree with SBbound the most here. The thing is Tim is a good guy hearts in a good place, but really what he did here is no different than what a lot of NFL players do on a daily basis. The only difference is that Tim gets media coverage when he does it and a lot of others do not. A lot of NFL players really do get it when it comes to relating to fans and giving back to the community and they don't ask to use their charity as a platform they simply do it because that is what they feel they should do.

So I guess at the end of the day its the media and the Tebow fans that make it seem like he is the only one that does stuff like this that really bugs me, not so much Tim just the unwarranted attention.

flosstein
08-07-2013, 04:43 AM
As others have said, the majority of NFL players are very generous with their time, hearts, and compassion for a variety of different causes and issues. Even many of the "bad boys" are like that as well.

But what I so disagree is with some that feel that he uses football as a platform or that he demands attention. He is a polarizing figure, not because of his beliefs, but because between high school and college, he was one of the best and toughest players to strap on a helmet. As far as college, he's GOAT conversation. He was the top dawg during the rise of the social media craze. He's it's baby. So the people who adore him and the media , put him on that platform. His beliefs are what they are and there's nothing wrong with him wearing that on his sleeve. He's been that way from day one and I respect that he's never waffled with it.

The issue is people keep asking his opinion. People keep wanting to hear his POV. Now u know he's gonna give the "thank Jesus answer" he's given the same answer all his life. Media ask questions like he's going to give a different answer. That's the problem right there. They keep fueling the fire. He's not requesting interviews or asking to sit down with anybody. He's not asking for cameras to follow him at all times. That's all a by-product of being the College GOAT at the right time in the social media boom.

broncos SB2010
08-07-2013, 04:57 AM
As others have said, the majority of NFL players are very generous with their time, hearts, and compassion for a variety of different causes and issues. Even many of the "bad boys" are like that as well.

But what I so disagree is with some that feel that he uses football as a platform or that he demands attention. He is a polarizing figure, not because of his beliefs, but because between high school and college, he was one of the best and toughest players to strap on a helmet. As far as college, he's GOAT conversation. He was the top dawg during the rise of the social media craze. He's it's baby. So the people who adore him and the media , put him on that platform. His beliefs are what they are and there's nothing wrong with him wearing that on his sleeve. He's been that way from day one and I respect that he's never waffled with it.

The issue is people keep asking his opinion. People keep wanting to hear his POV. Now u know he's gonna give the "thank Jesus answer" he's given the same answer all his life. Media ask questions like he's going to give a different answer. That's the problem right there. They keep fueling the fire. He's not requesting interviews or asking to sit down with anybody. He's not asking for cameras to follow him at all times. That's all a by-product of being the College GOAT at the right time in the social media boom.

You might want to try using some ideas that are a little closer to the truth. TEBOW is the one who says that. Here are some quotes:

"When I became a Jet," Tebow said, "I looked at it like, besides the fact I'm going to a great team with coaches that I like and players that I respect, I'm going to a city where I'm going to have a platform to hopefully do a lot of great things

And while today, the 21-year-old college football star still looks forward to becoming a quarterback in the NFL, that’s not what he looks forward to most as he and the University of Florida prepare for the start of the new football season.
“[M]ost is just the opportunity to have an impact with my platform and have a chance to minister around the country to boys and girls who look up to football players,” Tebow told reporters recently during a Southeastern Conference (SEC) media day.

"First and foremost, I just want to thank my savior, the Lord, Jesus Christ. I am so thankful for the platform God has given me."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDCiFsxASvc...from his own mouth.

bears6385
08-08-2013, 04:48 PM
How could anyone not like Tebow? :confused:

Better to not ask that question around here because you might get an unexpected answer to what was probably posed as a rhetorical question. :eek:When you ask "how could anyone not like Tebow" are you asking about Tebow the person or Tebow the football player, because the vast majority of responses are that everyone likes Tebow as a person.

Fitzmagic
08-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Its great that he signs autographs for the fans and tries to get every single one, those players always make peoples visits to training camp that much better. However, he isn't the only player to do this. I remember one time at Bills practice SS George Wilson had a huge line along the fence and signed every single autograph, took every picture, cracked jokes with fans, he stayed until each fan was met. It was awesome and made my day completely. Tim Tebow isn't the only player to do this so lets not pretend like he is. He just has the most cameras in his face while he does it.

captainbronco
08-09-2013, 02:48 PM
You might want to try using some ideas that are a little closer to the truth. TEBOW is the one who says that. Here are some quotes:

"When I became a Jet," Tebow said, "I looked at it like, besides the fact I'm going to a great team with coaches that I like and players that I respect, I'm going to a city where I'm going to have a platform to hopefully do a lot of great things

And while today, the 21-year-old college football star still looks forward to becoming a quarterback in the NFL, that’s not what he looks forward to most as he and the University of Florida prepare for the start of the new football season.
“[M]ost is just the opportunity to have an impact with my platform and have a chance to minister around the country to boys and girls who look up to football players,” Tebow told reporters recently during a Southeastern Conference (SEC) media day.

"First and foremost, I just want to thank my savior, the Lord, Jesus Christ. I am so thankful for the platform God has given me."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDCiFsxASvc...from his own mouth.

That's exactly why I don't like Tebow I wanna hear football talk don't get me wrong what he did in the Philippine is great and all but you wanna talk about that stuff go on Oprah

theMileHighGuy
08-09-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm not religious, but I never understood hating on the guy for spreading good will and stuff from his 'platform'. Of course it's a pedestal, he's a football player. He's not a solicitor. Maybe you should hate on the media and the league that puts him up there.

samparnell
08-09-2013, 03:26 PM
My personal preference is to keep politics and religion separate from football.

SoundsOfSuccess
08-09-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm not religious, but I never understood hating on the guy for spreading good will and stuff from his 'platform'. Of course it's a pedestal, he's a football player. He's not a solicitor. Maybe you should hate on the media and the league that puts him up there.

I don't mind that he is highly religious, if that's what works for him then great. The annoying thing is how in your face and outspoken he is about it, at least in my opinion. I don't know how much of it is his fault that he is obnoxious about it in my mind, but its coming out of his mouth so I naturally see it as him, not the media.

My personal preference is to keep politics and religion separate from football.

I agree with this. I'm not religious, but like I said, I have no problem with people who are. Whatever works. But keeping the sport as non-affiliated with outside influences like politics and religion is best for the sport, IMO.

Peanut
08-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Did Tebow write that article? No. Did he leak it to the media? Maybe. Maybe his PR team did. But that's what PR teams are suppose to do. That's what other players' PR teams do.

Did Tebow start this thread on our boards? No.

Did Tebow ask the question, "How could anyone not like Tebow?"? No.

Sometimes I think the anger/dislike is misdirected.

Again, I remind everyone not to get into a religious discussion. This is not the forum for it. So far, everything is okay. Just trying to save us some clean up and anyone some IPs. :D