PDA

View Full Version : Are you glad A-Rod's career is basically over?

Foez
08-05-2013, 08:35 PM
So, with the news today that Alex Rodriguez will face suspension come Thursday for the rest of the 2013 season and all of the 2014 season (which was a given that it would happen) are you happy he won't be involved with professional baseball maybe for the rest of his life? I on one hand am very glad. I'm a Rangers fan all the way but I disliked him even when he first came up with the Mariners. I used to watch a ton of their games and his personality hasn't changed much except even though it may not be possible has gotten even more conceited.

TheSheriff
08-05-2013, 08:42 PM
I do like that he's suspended, but I don't think his career is over. After 2014 he's going to make 60+ million whether the Yankees play him or not. That's kind of sickening when you think about it.

HUMCALC
08-05-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm an A-Rod fan, so no

Foez
08-05-2013, 09:21 PM
I do like that he's suspended, but I don't think his career is over. After 2014 he's going to make 60+ million whether the Yankees play him or not. That's kind of sickening when you think about it.

In his contract, he gets paid by game. The more games he misses the more money he doesn't get. a 100 million dollar contract could turn into a 5 million dollar one..it all depends

Foez
08-05-2013, 09:21 PM
I'm an A-Rod fan, so no

I have to know...what makes you like him?

CoryWinget81
08-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Who cares if he's suspended. He's always hurt anyway.

HUMCALC
08-05-2013, 09:43 PM
I have to know...what makes you like him?

I just liked his talent and his willingness to play 3rd when he went to the Yankees. I like the Yankees, too

dizzolve
08-05-2013, 11:06 PM
I don't follow baseball too closely but I don't care if he takes HGH or does some steroids ...... I'd love to elaborate but...

But for some reason we can't talk about this issue on these boards so -....... bleh

So lets not - let's just beat around the bush and write some short shrift that has no substance

Garfield
08-05-2013, 11:13 PM
MLB just does not do it for me..

like watching paint dry.. I'll watch some hilites during sports that is all I need to see..

*as for arod sounds* like with that name it was a matter of time to me..

InsaneBlaze23
08-06-2013, 03:19 AM
I voted I don't know because I'm in between yes and no. Alex is a cheater and a lair, but I do feel bad for him because of the way the Yankees and MLB handled him. Baseball wants to make an example out of him but didn't of Braun. The same guy who got off last time because he said his sample was mishandled. That's who should have been made an example out of not A-Rod. Braun is a coward a lair and a cheater.

CanDB
08-06-2013, 04:55 AM
I liked him more when he was Alex Rodriguez of The Seattle Mariners.

DenverBlood
08-06-2013, 05:45 AM
I liked him more when he was Alex Rodriguez of The Seattle Mariners.

I agree with this a lot. He was my second favorite player back then only to Ken Griffey Jr. They were an exciting young team to watch. And for that reason I voted no.

Arod hasn't been the same since he took that big payday in Texas. Still a solid player for years but never the Arod from his Mariner days. Too much pressure on him after he took the payday. People can hate him all they want and judge him but

1. They are always jealous and going to hate an athlete getting paid that much
2. People always judge without taking into account just how much pressure there is on the player to perform under that big of a contract.

And it only got worse with the pressure of playing for the great and hated Yankees. I'd like to see how many of you would perform at your job if it was a known fact that you were the highest paid employee not just in your company, but in your entire industry.

It really is no surprise to me that he has turned into the cold shoulder person that he has. I don't agree that he has always been that guy. I don't believe he was in Seattle or even Texas for that matter. I think it really escalated to that point with the amount of ridiculous scrutiny he takes being paid the most and playing for the Yankees.

That also explains the reason he felt the need to try and gain a competitive advantage that he was losing on physical ability alone.

Do I think he is a liar and cheater now? Yes. And I'm very dissapointed in it. But I can never say I'm happy to see his career end. In fact I'm extremely dissapointed to see it end.

Call it dumb wishful thinking but I was always hoping he would return to his form from 10-15 years ago. Unrealistic yes but I was hoping for it.

Won't happen now and I will say I'm glad MLB stepped in before he too tarnished the HR record. Not that he was going to get it at this point anyway. But MLB should've stepped in before allowing Bonds to tarnish it.

theMileHighGuy
08-06-2013, 06:01 AM
Who cares about A-Rod?

For that matter... who cares about baseball? :laugh:

DenverBlood
08-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Who cares about A-Rod?

Why post in the thread if you don't care?

Alot more people care about baseball than you may realize. It's still an extremely popular sport.

I'm way more interested in football and baseball than NASCAR or golf.

But you don't see me in those threads saying who cares just because they aren't my top sports.

InsaneBlaze23
08-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Who cares about A-Rod?

I know right? Though it gets boring I still watch every Tigers game that airs.

Garfield
08-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Alot more people care about baseball than you may realize. It's still an extremely popular sport.

But you don't see me in those threads saying who cares just because they aren't my top sports.

why do you care that he does not care?

it is a poll and he answered the same way loads of folks do..

no body cares about baseball the most boring sport in the world behind the other futball..

Garfield
08-06-2013, 12:15 PM
I know right? Though it gets boring I still watch every Tigers game that airs.

Good for you to stand up for MOST folks.. Glad you have a team you can follow..

DenverBlood
08-06-2013, 01:52 PM
why do you care that he does not care?

it is a poll and he answered the same way loads of folks do..

no body cares about baseball the most boring sport in the world behind the other futball..

I don't care that he does not care. But his post and your post implying nobody cares about baseball is completely ignorant.

Baseball still has the third highest following among major sports behind Football and Baseball. Well American anyway because we all know like you said that futball is the biggest worldwide.

Again just because you dislike the sport does not mean noone cares or that it's the most boring sport. I mean are you even kidding me with that? Baseball more boring than Golf or Tennis?

Garfield
08-06-2013, 02:22 PM
I don't care that he does not care. But his post and your post implying nobody cares about baseball is completely ignorant.

Baseball still has the third highest following among major sports behind Football and Baseball. Well American anyway because we all know like you said that futball is the biggest worldwide.

Again just because you dislike the sport does not mean noone cares or that it's the most boring sport. I mean are you even kidding me with that? Baseball more boring than Golf or Tennis?

so who was talking about Golf,, that is a mental game between the course and your head.. nothing to watch IMO it is to play, same thing for tennis, skiing..

I do not think he said Nobody care.. RIF..

BTW there is a whooping 11 votes in the poll that in itself says something..

InsaneBlaze23
08-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Does it really matter? Nothing being said is fact just an opinion. You say Soccer is boring, well that's the biggest/most popular sport outside the US. If a sport is boring to you then it's boring to you. Nothing else really matters and I don't see the point in posting in a thread about something that bores you.

Number of votes means nothing about rather people like or don't like baseball. I does mean however that the people that have viewed this thread but didn't vote just don't care about A-Rod.

Garfield
08-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Does it really matter? Nothing being said is fact just an opinion. You say Soccer is boring, well that's the biggest/most popular sport outside the US. If a sport is boring to you then it's boring to you. Nothing else really matters and I don't see the point in posting in a thread about something that bores you.

Number of votes means nothing about rather people like or don't like baseball. I does mean however that the people that have viewed this thread but didn't vote just don't care about A-Rod.

that is fair but the question was..

Are you glad A-Rod's career is basically over?

since it is a career in arguably the boringest sport on the planet

comments are pertinent..

Garfield
08-06-2013, 02:36 PM
In his contract, he gets paid by game. The more games he misses the more money he doesn't get. a 100 million dollar contract could turn into a 5 million dollar one..it all depends

he has a bunch of endorsements so the 60 mil is probably still pretty close..

atwaterandstir
08-06-2013, 02:37 PM
I lost interest when the whole steroids scandal broke years and years ago. I think the McGwire and Sosa chase was great, I was glued to the chase every day and despite not watching many games I always checked to see who did what. Then came Bonds and Clemens and the super drama they and espn created and couldn't avoid talking about and for me I just got sick of the story re-hashed over and over.

Now it seems as if once again baseball is only in the news for the scandals and it just doesn't interest me anymore.
So I guess Im in the "don't know, don't care anymore" group. I will still tune in to the series and likely the pennant races, but that's just the sports fan in me not the baseball fan anymore.

Chillez
08-06-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm not big baseball fan but I don't care either way if his career is over or continues at some point. I think he's a cheater like some players were in 90's and early 2000's with steroid era of MLB. They were using HGH to enhance their performance and recover faster. That's big reason why home run hitters like Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire were putting up crazy home run numbers. I only watch MLB during the postseason and World Series, the regular season bores me to death.

DenverBlood
08-06-2013, 04:16 PM
so who was talking about Golf,, that is a mental game between the course and your head.. nothing to watch IMO it is to play, same thing for tennis, skiing..

I do not think he said Nobody care.. RIF..

BTW there is a whooping 11 votes in the poll that in itself says something..

lol no he didn't. you are the one who said nobody cares. hence why I was responding to you.

And what do you mean who was talking about Golf? I brought it up because you once again called Baseball the most boring sport on the planet.

Which its following would strongly indicate otherwise.

And you say Golf is not a sport you watch? it's a sport you play? then tell me why it's on CBS or NBC every Saturday and Sunday afternoon. And why it has its own channel.

I don't find Golf boring either. I follow it. At least when Tiger is doing well.

My point was just that I don't see how anyone can call Baseball the most boring sport on the planet when so many other sports are harder to pay attention to.

The fact you say the sports are unwatchable and only sports you play proves that you even think that. because they are televised every week my man.

theMileHighGuy
08-06-2013, 04:35 PM

I was just messin around :P I hadn't been to sleep yet.

I have never seen the draw of baseball though. 8 guys stand around while one guy works; like watching road construction. What really takes me out of the sport is that all the best players are cheaters. It's so sullied at this point it's kind of a joke. I try to get into the Pirates for my friends but it's tough forcing it.

DenverBlood
08-06-2013, 05:21 PM

I have never seen the draw of baseball though. 8 guys stand around while one guy works; like watching road construction. What really takes me out of the sport is that all the best players are cheaters. It's so sullied at this point it's kind of a joke. I try to get into the Pirates for my friends but it's tough forcing it.

that's understandable. Right now is not a very good time period for baseball. I was beginning to enjoy it alot again with steroids out of the game and then they have a big bust again.

But I would contend golf is the same. Standing around all day and every now and then you swing a club. and a round of golf can be twice as long.

Soccer is constant action and I love the sport but can see how people get frustrated with little scoring. Baseball at least across the league has teams scoring in the teens daily.

I love football way more but I would point out that in a 31-28 high scoring affair you only have 9 actual scoring plays. equivalent to a 5-4 baseball game

Guess its how you look at it. Yes I love watching football way more but there is no sport I would rather play than baseball.

Garfield
08-07-2013, 10:52 AM

best description i have ever heard ..

Chillez
08-07-2013, 05:26 PM
I wanted add little more into this discussion. I think it's pretty naive to think that this is not going on in any professional sports league. Do I know this for a fact? No, I do not. And as Lance Armstrong proved, it's not always something that is visible in the form of large muscles or something. There are so many kinds of things that can be PEDs, muscle stuff is just one kind. I don't think the NBA is too eager to call their players out on it. Only baseball, of the major sports, has been surprisingly ok with exposing it in their industry. I mean, when the MLB is willing to severely discipline it's major money making superstars like Mcguire, Sosa, Bonds, A-Rod, Manny, etc. I mean, these are like the GOATs of their era, so that is a little surprising to me. No other sport seems to be willing to do that. I think the NBA would not risk exposing LBJ if he turned out to be using the stuff. No way. Tennis is notorious for sweeping it under the rug. I don't know why MLB has been this way, maybe it's because they got a head start on it with all the backlash with mcquire/sosa/bonds, so they've had more time to deal with it. Most people still don't suspect much from the NBA players. They think they're too skinny, or that LBJ has always been big, etc. (I don't consider any of these valid). I think NBA and NFL players are just as likely as the MLB players to be using.

The one thing guys like Kobe and Federer, is that their true advantage in sports is their skill level vs. athleticism like Nadal and LBJ. I would suspect a very athletic player of using PEDs in major sports over the skilled players. I think PED use for an extremely skilled player would reduce his advantages (at least the muscle stuff, not the endurance stuff). And they are already more skilled than everyone else, so the motivation is less. But an athletic player normally can't beat the more skilled player, so the PED use would allow him to become even more of a hyper-athlete. Skill takes time to hone, athleticism can be juiced relatively quickly, so even the mentality of a juicer leans more towards the athletic guy than the skilled guy. This is why I value skill so much...you can't get more skilled with PEDs, so when you see skill, it's a real thing, you don't have to wonder if the guy is "cheating" or not.