PDA

View Full Version : Why don't sports hire younger more durable refs?

Rarelyoffended
08-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Am I missing something here? I mean why doesn't professional sports hire younger more able refs who in theory would run faster and have better eye sight then some of these older grandfather clock refs?

It just doesn't seem to make sense. A 30 year old ref running the ball back to the line of scrimmage rather then a old ref....that is just one example....These old refs sometimes I think they can't see half of what is going on. It just makes more sense:salute:

Artamentous
08-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Am I missing something here? I mean why doesn't professional sports hire younger more able refs who in theory would run faster and have better eye sight then some of these older grandfather clock refs?

It just doesn't seem to make sense. A 30 year old ref running the ball back to the line of scrimmage rather then a old ref....that is just one example....These old refs sometimes I think they can't see half of what is going on. It just makes more sense:salute:

Other sports do use younger refs. The difference is they are full time refs.

The NFL uses part time refs. They want their refs to have established careers outside of the NFL, not career refs. This means they end up with older refs who have successful careers outside of the NFL.

redneckrocker
08-17-2013, 10:57 PM
NFL had younger refs last year, they were called replacements. You really want that again?!

Problem is the HS and NCAA Football rules and NFL rules are different, so there is a separate licensing/ testing process, therefore a limited pool to choose from in NFL. Plus NFL is part-time and much more demanding travel schedule.

theMileHighGuy
08-17-2013, 11:07 PM
They need full time refs. The NFL has so much money, they need to hire guys whose only job is to officiate NFL games. The subjectivity of the new rules almost requires this now. The rule about the runner lowering his head is going to cause tons of problems this year. It should've been called 2 or 3 times tonight and was not. Some refs are going to call it one way, some refs are going to call it the other, and games will be full of discourse.

Cajun
08-19-2013, 09:16 AM
IMHO, if they hired young refs the game would suffer. Just look at the last broncos game. IMHO, if your able to remember the refs number at the end of the game, he was throwing the flag far too much. HL #8 had more face time than anybody else on the field. Heck Im surprised he didnt get the MVP he was on so much.

broncoslover115
08-19-2013, 03:37 PM
NFL had younger refs last year, they were called replacements. .

Almost spit out my drink. Loved your sarcastic-laden, short sentence which said it all. Thanks for making me laugh. Really needed it after this horrible day regarding Von's possible 6 game suspension.