PDA

View Full Version : Cutler and new offense

bears6385
08-24-2013, 09:45 AM
If last night against Oakland was a dress rehearsal for the regular season, Cutler looks sharp in Trestman's offense. He got the ball out quick, spread the ball around, didn't let six drops affect his play, and had five scoring drives in the first half.

CoryWinget81
08-24-2013, 09:50 AM
I like that they are using the running backs in the passing game. Forte should pay dividends in my personal leagues I drafted him in.

Cutler made some good throws and it appears Trestman is playing to the strengths of the personnel.

bears6385
08-24-2013, 10:01 AM
I like that they are using the running backs in the passing game. Forte should pay dividends in my personal leagues I drafted him in.

Cutler made some good throws and it appears Trestman is playing to the strengths of the personnel.Question..........Does Trestman's offense look anthing like Shanny's from 2006 -2008?

CoryWinget81
08-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Question..........Does Trestman's offense look anthing like Shanny's from 2006 -2008?

it looks more like shanahan's offense from the early 90's, especially throwing to the backs in the flats.
I wonder how much of it he picked up with Shanny in SF. I didn't know this but apparently Louville caught over 80 passes in 95 in SF.

// / yardo
08-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Question..........Does Trestman's offense look anthing like Shanny's from 2006 -2008?

From the small sample I saw, not at all.

Shanahan likes a lot of play action set up from the zone plays. I don't think I saw any of that. If anything sort of resembled a Shanahan style it was the crossing patters with deep posts above them.

BroncoFanNC
08-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Were the Raiders even on the field?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Temper your excitement dude, the Raiders are probably the worst team in the league.

bears6385
08-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Temper your excitement dude, the Raiders are probably the worst team in the league.True, but when you play a horrible team like the Raiders aren't you supposed to totally dominate them as the Bears first team O and D did?

bears6385
08-24-2013, 06:44 PM
From the small sample I saw, not at all.

Shanahan likes a lot of play action set up from the zone plays. I don't think I saw any of that. If anything sort of resembled a Shanahan style it was the crossing patters with deep posts above them.Thanks,good to know. Both Shanny and Trestman come from the same WCO backround, so it loooks like they both have come up with their own version of it.

// / yardo
08-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks,good to know. Both Shanny and Trestman come from the same WCO backround, so it loooks like they both have come up with their own version of it.

Cutler flourished under Shanahan. Breaking up their relationship was detrimental to Cutler's development. If Trestman's approach to Jay is similar to what Shanahan was doing then he should be able to improve. Consistency in a system will also help Cutler. He's always had the tangibles to be a great quarterback just needs someone to put him in a position to succeed.

08-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Temper your excitement dude, the Raiders are probably the worst team in the league.

Bear fan here. Very good point but I wouldn't say they are probably the worst team. They ARE the worst team. I wish we could have tested our offense against something other than a high school defense.

AC1
08-30-2013, 01:31 PM
it looks more like shanahan's offense from the early 90's, especially throwing to the backs in the flats.
I wonder how much of it he picked up with Shanny in SF. I didn't know this but apparently Louville caught over 80 passes in 95 in SF.

Completely agree with Cory here. That's what I thought too. From the little I saw, Trestman looks to be more of the traditional WCO mould a la Mike Holmgren and especially Andy Reid, with the quick slants and passes to the flat as the staple of the offense

The thing that sets Shanahan apart even from the aforementioned experts of the WCO is that he completely adapts his offense to his personnel. His offense for Elway was very different than that for Griese, which was very different than those for Plummer, and then Cutler and now RG3. The Trestman offense to me resembles most closely Shanahan's offense for Brian Griese, with some rollouts thrown in.

However, IMO the important thing to look for with Trestman isn't whether his scheme suits Cutler. The key is how flexible Trestman is in adapting to a work-in-progress offensive roster in Chicago. I think Cutler will adjust to the scheme just fine. So will Forte. It is the others that Trestman has to manage and make sure he plays to their strengths.

Cajun
08-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Ive always been a cutler fan. I still have his bronco jersey. Its kinda of funny because the colors are so close bear fans tend to confuse it with the bears orange and ask me where did I get it. I point to the "Bronco" and then it dawns on them.

I just wish elway was here before the McDaniels debacle, but if that would have happened then we probably wouldnt have gotten manning. It all works out if your patient enough.

bears6385
08-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Completely agree with Cory here. That's what I thought too. From the little I saw, Trestman looks to be more of the traditional WCO mould a la Mike Holmgren and especially Andy Reid, with the quick slants and passes to the flat as the staple of the offense

The thing that sets Shanahan apart even from the aforementioned experts of the WCO is that he completely adapts his offense to his personnel. His offense for Elway was very different than that for Griese, which was very different than those for Plummer, and then Cutler and now RG3. The Trestman offense to me resembles most closely Shanahan's offense for Brian Griese, with some rollouts thrown in.

However, IMO the important thing to look for with Trestman isn't whether his scheme suits Cutler. The key is how flexible Trestman is in adapting to a work-in-progress offensive roster in Chicago. I think Cutler will adjust to the scheme just fine. So will Forte. It is the others that Trestman has to manage and make sure he plays to their strengths.From what I have seen Trestman has been very good at building to the strengths of his players. To me Forte is the key, use him correctly in both the run and passing game and this offense should click very quickly.

bears6385
08-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Bear fan here. Very good point but I wouldn't say they are probably the worst team. They ARE the worst team. I wish we could have tested our offense against something other than a high school defense.Yep, I agree. Bengals defense in week 1 will give Cutler & Co. a huge test.

09-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Yep, I agree. Bengals defense in week 1 will give Cutler & Co. a huge test.

The Bear offense passes the big test. Cutler had only 1 knucklehead play that I can recall. He was brilliant with many of his throws. Brandon Marshall was fantastic as always.

bears6385
09-08-2013, 06:53 PM
The Bear offense passes the big test. Cutler had only 1 knucklehead play that I can recall. He was brilliant with many of his throws. Brandon Marshall was fantastic as always.Good start for Cutler in this offense. Kept his cool after a bad int, moved the team, won the game. Can't ask for more than that in a new offense.

Da Swerski
09-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Good start for Cutler in this offense. Kept his cool after a bad int, moved the team, won the game. Can't ask for more than that in a new offense.

While Cutler made some dumb plays against the Vikings. That INT vs. the Bengals wasn't his fault. He got hit when he threw, and it messed up the throw.

bears6385
09-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Three weeks in and Cutler is off to his best start as a Bear in Trestman's offense.

AznBroncoFan
09-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Finally he has a real O line. Good to see him do well.

Frankenpost
09-28-2013, 09:32 AM
I heard somewhere that SUH is going to consume Howie Long's kid. My question is,..

Rib or Chop, Loin or Shank.

http://www.suntimes.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=GUaDh v00BJBlkt1S1L9lo8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYux8A2lufOWJcR Coth3Nrte6FB40xiOfUoExWL3M40tfzssyZqpeG_J0TFo7ZhRa DiHC9oxmioMlYVJD0A$3RbIiibgT65kY_CSDiCiUzvHvODrHAp bd6ry6YGl5GGOZrs-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

JohnShaft
09-28-2013, 03:11 PM
I heard somewhere that SUH is going to consume Howie Long's kid.
I'm just wondering if the NFL would fine him for cannibalism, given they let him off scot free for that ridiculous UFC-style swinging elbow to the head, in Week 2.

He shouldn't even be playing. He, and that team, are a joke.