PDA

View Full Version : NFL Concussion Lawsuit settled

FL BRONCO
08-29-2013, 09:54 AM
I didnt see it posted so I thought I would here is tweet from IBN and also says it on nfl.com

Incarcerated Bob IBN ‏@incarceratedbob 6m *UPDATE* Each player after lawyer fees etc... stands to get around 138K from #NFL '' doesn't seem like it was worth it to settle

dizzolve
08-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Any player who was diagnosed with concussion or all retired?

FL BRONCO
08-29-2013, 10:00 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-nfl-concussion-settlement-20130829,0,4430080.story

FL BRONCO
08-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Sorry, thats all I can find right now, I'm sure there will be more to come

bronx_2003
08-29-2013, 12:03 PM
They really earnt that money.

Hope it was worth trying to ruin the league. A lot of fans will have lost respect for these players. I know I have.

theMileHighGuy
08-29-2013, 12:03 PM
This should buy Clinton Portis a ton of ridiculous clothes.

bronx_2003
08-29-2013, 12:05 PM
This should buy Clinton Portis a ton of ridiculous clothes.

Looking back I'm glad we traded him when we did. That was over money as well, holding out and demanding a new contract.

He's just jumped on the band wagon and got a payday for nothing.

Complete joke. That the trouble living in a world run by lawyers where suing normally pays off.

dizzolve
08-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Don't they sign some kind of waiver when they enter the league that says they know

'this is a dangerous sport and you can get hurt'

I dunno the details but if memory serves this thing might have been based on the NFL misleading players about concussions

But truth is - it has impacted the game negatively and that's a shame. We haven't seen the end of it either.

Guys don't go for the head now so subsequently players are getting their knees blown out ......

its football man. Make them sign a waiver which they all will - so they can make their 100's of thousands at least and 10's of millions many times. Don't mislead them about health issues

and don't keep changing the rules

beastlyskronk
08-29-2013, 12:54 PM
In one of the cases before this, players were claiming that the NFL has known about the dangers of concussions for far longer than they let on (they claimed since 1920) and that they were actively withholding information. A lot of people are bagging on Clinton Portis for this but what about the players from the 60s through 90s that were involved in this case? Are they just trying to make a quick buck, or are they trying to find some way to pay all of these medical bills they now have? The NFL does the bare minimum when it comes to taking care of retired players, many of them probably don't get anything.

ruksak
08-29-2013, 03:59 PM
I'd like to say I'm glad that this is all behind us, but I doubt it. Precedent has been set.

I wonder, has the league done enough to protect players from knee injury? Have they done enough to make sure players are aware they will walk like retired carpet layers when they're only 42?

How about that Patriots fan who died of cardiac arrest in their stadium after being denied a field pass? His wife is suing for $10,000,000.

The NFL did not warn me of the dangers of screaming after a bad call. I frightened my dog and now it has anxiety.

fallforward3y+
08-30-2013, 04:25 AM
In one of the cases before this, players were claiming that the NFL has known about the dangers of concussions for far longer than they let on (they claimed since 1920) and that they were actively withholding information. A lot of people are bagging on Clinton Portis for this but what about the players from the 60s through 90s that were involved in this case? Are they just trying to make a quick buck, or are they trying to find some way to pay all of these medical bills they now have? The NFL does the bare minimum when it comes to taking care of retired players, many of them probably don't get anything.

With the way a lot of players in the 60s played, it's no surprise they had concussions. When you wrecklessly lead with your helmet into receivers who aren't looking every chance you get, concussions happen. I don't think the NFL should have to tell them doing that is risky, unless you think every gun should come with a 'do not fire at yourself' warning or the manufacturers are liable when someone does it. Where is the proof that the NFL was withholding information? What does this information tell that makes such a big difference beyond knowledge of the risks of concussions?

When you sue the one with the big money, people aren't going to believe you are doing it for some noble cause. It's like the women who sue the company for sexual harassment instead of pressing charges on the lower down person who actually committed the acts, ask yourself why they did that.

If team medical staff is clearing guys who should not be playing, they should be held accountable, not the whole NFL and certainly not the sport. It's time to stop this irrational expectation that people at the top can actually monitor everything done around a big business.

beastlyskronk
08-30-2013, 12:08 PM
The NFL settled instead of going to court, if they didn't withhold information from the players they would have went to court and won their case. The players can't go after the medical staff, it isn't realistic. Over 4500 players have sued the NFL, how many trainers would they have to sue? Not to mention they don't have the money to pay the player's medical bills. There have been thousands of players suing the NFL over the injuries they suffered. You don't think Jim McMahon would have retired sooner if he knew he would have dimentia in his 40s? Do you think the NFL was letting these players know that it is indeed a possibility? Do you think Dave Duerson would have played football if he knew he would commit suicide due to the concussions he suffered in the NFL? These are things that the NFL glossed over for decades, things that they should have been going over at the NFL rookie symposium.

Of course these guys know they can suffer serious injuries playing football and that they will suffer complications later in life because of it. But I don't think the players were informed of just how serious some of these injuries could be to them after their career. And the pension plan that the NFL does have is quite meager

fallforward3y+
08-30-2013, 05:29 PM
The NFL settled instead of going to court, if they didn't withhold information from the players they would have went to court and won their case. The players can't go after the medical staff, it isn't realistic. Over 4500 players have sued the NFL, how many trainers would they have to sue? Not to mention they don't have the money to pay the player's medical bills. There have been thousands of players suing the NFL over the injuries they suffered. You don't think Jim McMahon would have retired sooner if he knew he would have dimentia in his 40s? Do you think the NFL was letting these players know that it is indeed a possibility? Do you think Dave Duerson would have played football if he knew he would commit suicide due to the concussions he suffered in the NFL? These are things that the NFL glossed over for decades, things that they should have been going over at the NFL rookie symposium.

Of course these guys know they can suffer serious injuries playing football and that they will suffer complications later in life because of it. But I don't think the players were informed of just how serious some of these injuries could be to them after their career. And the pension plan that the NFL does have is quite meager

Do you seriously believe that every time someone settles it means they are guilty of something? Individuals and businesses with big money settle all the time, not necessarily because they are guilty but because they think the other side has a chance and they don't want to risk losing more money. This is the war on football era, the game does not need anymore bad publicity. The NFL settled because they didn't want to set the precedent that players could sue and win. Perhaps the NFL should include a "it is your responsibility to learn about all the risks that come with playing the game" clause in waivers they make players sign.

Guys who are already making truckloads of money hold out demanding new contracts every year, maybe they should save some of that money to pay their medical bills. Maybe players don't know exactly what concussions can cause, but they should have known it can't be good. They should play smarter realizing they don't know the full extent of how bad it can be. This all sounds like zero accountability thinking to me.

The game will become flag football if we continue to go down this path, because the NFL will fear having to fork over a truckload of money every time a player gets injured, and colleges and high schools won't like losing money over it either. Fortunately for me, Semi-Pro Football should be just fine, because the leagues don't have any money for players to take so they won't sue. That is of course, unless congress gets involved.

It baffles my mind how anyone can have sympathy for players who love leading with their helmet on every defenseless receiver they see when they get a concussion. If they don't want concussions, they shouldn't do that. Imagine if James Harrison were to sue the NFL one day, would you side with him? Hating the thought of not being able to lead with the helmet, and blaming the NFL. What about dirty players who intentionally try and injure players on the field? Do they deserve a hand out from the NFL if they become the victim of their own philosophy?

The bottom line is, I'm just not buying it.

broncolee
08-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Gone are the days when a player can even pretend to not know the dangers of football. The NFL is doing everything reasonable to limit injuries. This kind of litigation shouldn't even be considered reasonable in the future.

How those players could see what happened to many boxers in their careers and not think that it could happen to them is beyond me. This lawsuit should have been thrown out unless the players could demonstrate that the NFL actively lied to make players believe concussions didn't have long lasting effects. Simply not passing along information shouldn't have been enough to justify letting the lawsuit go on as long as it did.

fallforward3y+
09-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Gone are the days when a player can even pretend to not know the dangers of football. The NFL is doing everything reasonable to limit injuries. This kind of litigation shouldn't even be considered reasonable in the future.

How those players could see what happened to many boxers in their careers and not think that it could happen to them is beyond me. This lawsuit should have been thrown out unless the players could demonstrate that the NFL actively lied to make players believe concussions didn't have long lasting effects. Simply not passing along information shouldn't have been enough to justify letting the lawsuit go on as long as it did.

This, unless the NFL was actually telling them lies, and/or forcing them to play through injuries that they knew held a high risk, they should have no liability. It is simply nonsense, especially for those who love to lead with the helmet. Those guys are completely to blame for their injuries, and I would even argue that the NFL should have no liability regardless of what they did for the injuries of players who do that(unless a coach told them to play like that, then that coach should be banned from the game).

Emily Diana
06-29-2014, 01:08 PM
- NFL concussion lawsuit: This time, players get what they deserve -

"Anita Brody, judge for the U.S. district court of eastern Pennsylvania, is a hero. Retired NFL players should celebrate this day in her honor every year, and rejoice in whatever compensation they may be receiving for the suffering their sport caused them.

Judge Brody on Wednesday did what the NFL should have done in the beginning, and what the roughly 4,500 plaintiffs in the concussion lawsuit should have compelled the league to do. Brody was handed the task of reviewing the $765 million settlement from last August that, at the time it was announced, seemed utterly inadequate." ...

It didn't feel like nearly enough to cover the potentially 20,000 retired players who might someday need the funds to save their lives or provide for their survivors— and not even close to enough for the NFL to even feel a nick, much less a sting .

Brody reviewed it, and in January she said no. Not good enough. Specifically, she said in her decision: “I am primarily concerned that not all retired N.F.L. football players who ultimately receive a qualifying diagnosis or their related claimants will be paid.”" ...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-06-25/nfl-concussion-lawsuit-retired-players-payout-cap-lifted-anita-brody-675-million-dementia-illness

Emily Diana
02-10-2015, 07:04 PM
- Dorsett played football 'not knowing' dementia could result -

"Hall of Fame running back Tony Dorsett says he started playing football ''not knowing that the end was going to be like this'' - what he calls a frustrating battle with a condition caused by head trauma that can lead to dementia and depression.

The former Heisman Trophy winner at Pittsburgh and Super Bowl champion with the Dallas Cowboys was diagnosed in 2013 as having signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative brain condition. Dorsett told Dallas-area radio station KTCK-AM 1310 last week that he loves football and it was ''good to me.''

''It's just unfortunate that I'm going through what I'm going through,'' Dorsett said. ''I'm in the fight, man. I'm not just laying around letting this overtake me. I'm hoping we can reverse this thing somehow.''

In a lengthy interview with The Associated Press in 2012, Dorsett discussed the toll his football career took on his body and brain, detailing a helmet-to-helmet hit in a 1984 game that knocked him out. He called it the hardest hit he ever took.

''That ain't the first time I was knocked out or been dazed over the course of my career, and now I'm suffering for it,'' Dorsett told the AP three years ago. ''And the NFL is trying to deny it.''

Dorsett and thousands of former players have accused the NFL of long hiding what it knew about concussions and brain injuries to keep players on the field. The 60-year-old Dorsett opted out of a settlement between the NFL and former players that could end up paying out $1 billion. He said he wanted his case to stand on its merits." ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dorsett-played-football-not-knowing-dementia-result-204802566--nfl.html

CoryWinget81
02-10-2015, 07:13 PM
I don't feel bad for NFL players.

If you're too stupid to realize banging your head into things at full speed is going to scramble your eggs, then I don't know what to tell you.

Should've saved all your money. You certainly weren't worried about it when you were cashing your checks.

I've said it a million times. Want to take concussions out of the game? take their helmets away or go back to leather helmets with no faceguard. Institute a weight limit. Fine ANYONE that makes contact above the neck with any part of their body 50k.

EddieMac
02-10-2015, 07:36 PM

If you're too stupid to realize banging your head into things at full speed is going to scramble your eggs, then I don't know what to tell you.

Should've saved all your money. You certainly weren't worried about it when you were cashing your checks.

I've said it a million times. Want to take concussions out of the game? take their helmets away or go back to leather helmets with no faceguard. Institute a weight limit. Fine ANYONE that makes contact above the neck with any part of their body 50k.

Amen Brother!

dizzolve
02-10-2015, 07:40 PM
I agree CW

All these lawsuits seem to effecting the game in a negative way. They're gonna drag the national pastime down with their wanting some $$$

Granted the further back you go, the less money they made, but these guys make A LOT of money. And they probably DID sign waivers of some sort. Don't drag our game down with y'all.

Not to mention a lot of these 'injuries' can't be proven. There was lots of drug use, and other questionable lifestyles that clearly cannot be separated from on the field head trauma.

No I can't prove my point but it doesn't seem they can either.

I'm all for making the game as safe as possible, but at some point it's not the same game. How far will the NFL go? Look at boxing. You can't take punching out of boxing. It's one of the best sports there is. All fighting sports are some of the best sports there are. A big reason is that it's physical. Don't let that get lost in all this.

Just one fan's 2c

fallforward3y+
02-10-2015, 10:58 PM

LOL! I loved what you said in your first 2 paragraphs. It seems pretty ridiculous to hear players talk about how they didn't know the full effect of concussions and that the NFL hid it from them as a reason for a law suit. Maybe they didn't tell you ALL of the negative impacts they may have, but come on, are they really telling me they didn't think that banging your head into someone at full speed could cause head injuries?

Unless someone is mentally handicapped, I find it very hard to blame someone for not telling them that could have harmful effects. It's like saying 'you let me take a cake out of your oven without telling me that if I touched it with my bare hands it could burn my hand'.

I think suspending guys for games would be a more effective approach than fining players. If they still are able to have a lot of money left for what is considered a very 'expensive' lifestyle after the fine, they likely won't care. If I made the money some of these guys make, I'd pay someone $10,000 dollars to come bring me a soda if I didn't feel like walking across the street to a mini mart, if the worst someone gave me was a fine of 50K I would not likely care very much.

However, if you suspend a guy for say, a game for a blatant illegal hit they may get the message. They could do a doubling approach. 1st offense-1 game, 2nd offense-2 games, 3rd offense-4 games 4th offense-8 games, 5th offense-16 games and so on. If a guy continually offends and ignores the rules, they will be spending a lot of time off the field and not be able to deliver illegal hits in games very often.

Offend 5 times and you miss the whole season, and by that point a team may cut a guy, and it doesn't even have to be because of some concern for player safety, it could be because he is rarely on the field and in their opinion not worth the money because of it. If even after that they offend again, it's 2 seasons, then 4, then 8(I couldn't imagine someone still being in the league after serving a total of 15 seasons of a suspension, lol).

Instead of making more rules, the NFL should actually effectively enforce the rules they have in place now, and make harsher punishments for breaking them. Players would likely start thinking about changing their habits.

It's not like you can't still hit hard with the rules, that's what some guys seem not to understand, you just can't hit them in the helmet.

fallforward3y+
02-10-2015, 11:10 PM
I agree CW

All these lawsuits seem to effecting the game in a negative way. They're gonna drag the national pastime down with their wanting some $$$

Granted the further back you go, the less money they made, but these guys make A LOT of money. And they probably DID sign waivers of some sort. Don't drag our game down with y'all.

Not to mention a lot of these 'injuries' can't be proven. There was lots of drug use, and other questionable lifestyles that clearly cannot be separated from on the field head trauma.

No I can't prove my point but it doesn't seem they can either.

I'm all for making the game as safe as possible, but at some point it's not the same game. How far will the NFL go? Look at boxing. You can't take punching out of boxing. It's one of the best sports there is. All fighting sports are some of the best sports there are. A big reason is that it's physical. Don't let that get lost in all this.

Just one fan's 2c

I think a big key to keeping it a physical game will be good head placement. One thing that coaches should stop teaching is the 'get your head across their body' technique for angle tackling. It's extremely dangerous imo, because of how easy it is to get it into someone's chest if you don't get it all the way across. If it becomes too much of a habit to always try and do that, you could go for it instinctively even when there is slim chance of it happening.

There is almost never a time when a defender is in good position for that on an angle tackle. Head up, yes, at an angle no. If a back is a smart runner, they should try very hard to not let a defender get their head across their body...out run them, juke if your in bad position, contort your body in a way that makes it tough and etc.

I've been told to try that technique in angle tackling drills, and I never try it, you can tackle without doing that. After a practice, I'd rather go home and watch TV or something else I like than go to the ER at Sunrise hospital for emergency neck surgery. Getting good habits of where to put your head when making a tackle IMO is key in keeping tackling involved while reducing the risk of injury.